low season is here

What did you expect...there is no gratitude...only greed...in the Land of Lies...

The white man's burden redux. Why anyone should be grateful because bwana farang dispenses some (unasked for) crumbs from the table is a mystery.

Presumably the "Land of Lies" comes from frequenting bars where women tell you that you're a handsome, sexy man rather than telling you that you're old, fat, smell like meat that's gone off and that you wear the same unwashed clothes day after day ... just like the women back home in the Land of Truth told you before you ran away to Thailand.

Funny. ggt sort of rhymes with "eejit," don't it?

As for the OP, that is one cheap, sorry SOB. And if he was sleeping for hours, how could he possibly know that there were no other customers the entire night? Why do some people have to lie constantly on these forums...

I may be a cheap son of a bitch but I'm probly taller younger and more handsome than you.

What did you expect...there is no gratitude...only greed...in the Land of Lies...

The white man's burden redux. Why anyone should be grateful because bwana farang dispenses some (unasked for) crumbs from the table is a mystery.

Presumably the "Land of Lies" comes from frequenting bars where women tell you that you're a handsome, sexy man rather than telling you that you're old, fat, smell like meat that's gone off and that you wear the same unwashed clothes day after day ... just like the women back home in the Land of Truth told you before you ran away to Thailand.

As for the OP, that is one cheap, sorry SOB. And if he was sleeping for hours, how could he possibly know that there were no other customers the entire night? Why do some people have to lie constantly on these forums...

I may be a cheap son of a bitch but I'm probly taller younger and more handsome than you.
You may be right, I don't know either of you, but in the bars you seem to frequent being able to pay the barfine usually beats both tall, young and handsome :-D

Anyway, nice of you to buy the girls drinks, however the bars already have a system for that. They call it ladydrinks, and generally both the bar and the girls prefer those :-)

Edited by monkeycountry

MrWorldwide, on 06 May 2014 - 16:49, said:

The bars are mostly empty, but try taking a stroll down Walking St at midnight. Less Chinese family groups and more young guys from the Middle East and India, but they seem to be cut from the same Cheap Charlie cloth. I can live without that circus.

The rest of them are residing in the 2014 - Beer prices in Pattaya thread.

If alcohol and entertainment prices weren't cheap enough.

I'm going to try that. Buy a bottle of whiskey, walk into a night club, settle myself in and start drinking away while offering the staff some drinks too. After I'm piss drunk, I'll just have a nap on their sofa, then walk out within paying a single baht to the club.

In a lot of Thai bars, you actually can bring your own whiskey in. But you do have to pay for the ice, coke, and soda water to mix with. I do this sometimes because I like to drink gin, and the bars near me don't have it.

Oh yeah, that's fine, and I've done it loads too. If you bring your own bottle in, you pay a corkage / opening fee though (generally included in the mixers + ice). Sounds as though OP was dismayed they wanted a fee for drinking there / mixers, and thinks the Thai staff should be more appreciative for sharing his Hong Tong with them, and sleeping on their sofa.

OP, if anything I'd consider yourself lucky this time around. Try that in the wrong place, and you're going to end up in the hospital, eh?

• Like 1

Yes! Most of them would step over they're dying relatives and bufo their child, for the chance to get 20 baht.

I'm going to try that. Buy a bottle of whiskey, walk into a night club, settle myself in and start drinking away while offering the staff some drinks too. After I'm piss drunk, I'll just have a nap on their sofa, then walk out within paying a single baht to the club.

In a lot of Thai bars, you actually can bring your own whiskey in. But you do have to pay for the ice, coke, and soda water to mix with. I do this sometimes because I like to drink gin, and the bars near me don't have it.

Oh yeah, that's fine, and I've done it loads too. If you bring your own bottle in, you pay a corkage / opening fee though (generally included in the mixers + ice). Sounds as though OP was dismayed they wanted a fee for drinking there / mixers, and thinks the Thai staff should be more appreciative for sharing his Hong Tong with them, and sleeping on their sofa.

OP, if anything I'd consider yourself lucky this time around. Try that in the wrong place, and you're going to end up in the hospital, eh?

no I payed soda and cokes and I have been asked by the staff more than once to buy a round of hong tong from 7/11 .

Some bars are more lax than others about this type of thing . such as giving falang lady drinks at regular drink prices/ discounts on drinks / girls if you speak thai.

Slight tangent but many years ago I arrived in Pattaya (before the Lusseean hordes arrived) after a flight from Europe. It was around midnight when I got to the hotel and went straight out onto Walking Street. I went into one of the bars on the left as you come in from Beach Road and sat down in a big easy chair. After a couple of scoops I fell asleep with my camera on the table. I was awoken by a girl as the bar was closing. In her outstretched arm was my camera which I could easily have forgotten about. A nice honest girl who got a tip for her trouble. They aren't all mercenary predators.

I don't live in TL anymore, but did work there for some years and frequented the bars quite often in my youth. I remember 2 occasions when Farangs fell asleep in a bar. No warning or polite conversation, both were pounced on by the dog pack that appeared out of nowhere and were lying unconscious and bleeding in the gutter outside whe I left. I think the OP was very fortunate.

I don't live in TL anymore, but did work there for some years and frequented the bars quite often in my youth. I remember 2 occasions when Farangs fell asleep in a bar. No warning or polite conversation, both were pounced on by the dog pack that appeared out of nowhere and were lying unconscious and bleeding in the gutter outside whe I left. I think the OP was very fortunate.

I would say in almost all cases, if anyone falls asleep in a bar, they will either let you sleep, or the girls will simply wake you up. I doubt anyone gets beaten up simply for falling asleep, but people who fall asleep are usually very drunk, so maybe something else happens that upsets the staff.

sorry, but they're not there to accept your drink or food, they\re not in need of what you think, they just want money, simple business.

almost every Thai knows how to drink and eat much more better (I mean royal and lux) than us (tourists or expats). so what you offer or think that is GREAT, is just nothing special to them.

Monkeycountry - I guess you must live in a different Thailand to the one I lived in. They take up space meant fror drinker's, the girls don't care, Mamasan calls the dog pack, no TLC, minimum resistance to being woken up results in a beating. Actually on reflection, it also happened one time to a Canadian who lived in the same apartment as me, big lad too, but size counts for nothing when the dogs are upon you.

Monkeycountry - I guess you must live in a different Thailand to the one I lived in. They take up space meant fror drinker's, the girls don't care, Mamasan calls the dog pack, no TLC, minimum resistance to being woken up results in a beating. Actually on reflection, it also happened one time to a Canadian who lived in the same apartment as me, big lad too, but size counts for nothing when the dogs are upon you.

They take up space yes, and they make the place look boring, but the staff are capable of handling almost everything without resorting to violence - which will scare away many of the other customers and is therefore much worse for business than one sleeping guy.

After reading some if these comments I'd say most if you are two week millionairs posting from falangland

Ahh yes, if you can afford to drink and buy a few lady drinks in bars in a country where drinking is already relatively cheap, then you must be a 2 week millionaire :-)

Not every foreigner in Thailand is a low paid teacher or pensioner :-D

Doubtful, on all counts. But if you want to think so, have at it.

They take up space yes, and they make the place look boring, but the staff are capable of handling almost everything without resorting to violence - which will scare away many of the other customers and is therefore much worse for business than one sleeping guy.

I'm not condoning it, I'm just telling it like it is. The seedy side of Thai nightlife has never had the room for the sort of civilized beahaviour you are suggesting. It didn't scare me away, I simply accepted it as the norm, which it probably, sadly at that, still is. I don't live in TL anymore and don't frequent those establishments on the rare occasions that I visit. I would imagine that things have only got worse since the events I mentioned from 20 years ago. I was simply recounting my experiences. This will be my last as I know when I'm peeing into the wind.

What is this? The Hounds of the Bastardvilles you are harping about?

Edited by AhanFan

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to assume by dog pack, he literally means a pack of dogs.

Rumblecat and AhanFan: You assume completely wrong, perhaps you don't speak Thai. The expression is "maa muu" - literally, dog pig but meaning "dog pack" in Thai, when the thugs hired to keep the peace around the bars pounce.

Perhaps some homework might be in order before sarcasm is brought to bear. Anyone who has been in TL for even a short time should be familiar with these 'people' who are not only around the bar scene, they can also appear when a farang has an altercation with a local.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

marko kok prong, on 06 May 2014 - 19:17, said:

op,maybe go back tomorrow,and strip naked and go to sleep,and please keep us updated as to the outcome.

But no photos please..................coffee1.gif

Edited by chrisinth