Bomb blasts rock Hat Yai

webfact

Hat Yai is a great city. I go there often, never had any trouble. Even so, I was able to spot suspicious locations for extremists. I also know for a fact that folks across the border support them. One even tried to recruit me as a 'doc' for the wounded. I was silent. Dangerous stuff.

I edited a Phd thesis on the subject some years ago, after which I concluded these animals who kill innocents are receiving outside help and misdirection; especially after two events:(1) an agreement between Malaysia and Thais on joint Military ventures that excluded the granting of a military base to the US in the S China Sea; and (2) the fiasco where 80 plus of them were corralled at a central mosque immediately after a very successful op.

Solution? Any ideas? Mine is to have Thais withdraw and leave the Muslims to their own devices while keep a fiercely guarded perimeter. They will fail of course, but let them eat each other rather than disturb the peace of the nation.

Yes, I am a Muslim, but what they are doing is not Islamic in the least. Were I young again, I'd be busy hunting them down like the animals they've become.

He who lives by the sword shall die by the sword ... Jesus one of your prophets.

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE 8.2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

also - sorry for the rant... the gov here wants "The Vote" before reforms as it is pretty sure of winning the majority - but what about a vote for the 3 muslim provinces as well... maybe not to seperate from thailand but would be curious to see what the percentage would beto serperate or at least have more say... but of course their taxes could also stay there and some things could be done to help the locals - but if nobody is talking then the bombs just keep blowing up...aside from forming a new country or annexing to malaysia? what do these terrorists actually want to stop the violence ?

Can a Thailand history buff explain why Thailand annexed the South in the first place (more than a century ago)? It must now be a source of regret.

• Like 1

Can a Thailand history buff explain why Thailand annexed the South in the first place (more than a century ago)? It must now be a source of regret.

Somewhere I read that the Sultanate of Patani was well known for piracy, operating on the Gulf as well as in the Straits if Malacca, and Siam brought it under their control. That is undoubtedly one side of the story; it has resources including oil, and strategic frontage against the Malay/Indo southern neighbors. People there told me it has been going on for hundreds of years and is mainly about money (though corrupted and has taken on a twisted malevolent slant IMO)

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Firstly this is a terrible act that does not seem to cease. The PTP have really ignored the south while trying to cling to power. Shame on them. Peace talks have stopped and the voters are held in contempt again.

When there is a terrorist attack in Thailand one can be assured yingluck will be inspecting fruit the next day.

Better check out her FB page for her reaction to it, if any. She probably won't even know about it.

Back of with your politics. This is the South that is controlled by the South and not really Yingluck.

• Like 2

Firstly this is a terrible act that does not seem to cease. The PTP have really ignored the south while trying to cling to power. Shame on them. Peace talks have stopped and the voters are held in contempt again.

When there is a terrorist attack in Thailand one can be assured yingluck will be inspecting fruit the next day.

Better check out her FB page for her reaction to it, if any. She probably won't even know about it.

To be fair, I think quite a few administrations have, one way or another, marginalised issues in the South. Paying lip service was the closest anyone got to resolving the issues. I simply cannot understand why affirmative action cannot be taken and why the loss of mostly innocent lives is allowed to continue; that body count is allowed to continue its 'growth trajectory'. If they don't want the southern provinces anymore, why don't just give it to Malaysia? If they do, then why don't they do something with it and integrate it back into larger Thailand? Of course these are just very simplistic views of mine. I understand there are many forces, variables and considerations in play. But I wish there weren't. Peace may be too much to ask for at this stage but I do wish the killings would at least stop.

But yes, let's wait for a statement from Poo... on Facebook of course.

Edited by outsider

My car was parked juist outside the police compound, about 20 metres from the explosion. Miraculously, there was no damage to my car. I was inside the immigration building, nexto the police station, about 100 metres from the explotion. Luckily no damage or injuries to the people inside. Apart from a botched visa application (will have to go back tomorrow), a histerical wife, we had a lucky escape.

Thank Heaven you and wife are ok. Stay safe.

Many years ago, before south thailand signed a peace agreement ending communists and separatist insurgencies, many many malaysian kelantanese with pattani roots used to contribute and support the movement.

I believe it was prem tinsulanonda that created a peaceful atmosphere for both insugency to fail back in 1980's and was peaceful until thaksin came into power.

My car was parked juist outside the police compound, about 20 metres from the explosion. Miraculously, there was no damage to my car. I was inside the immigration building, nexto the police station, about 100 metres from the explotion. Luckily no damage or injuries to the people inside. Apart from a botched visa application (will have to go back tomorrow), a histerical wife, we had a lucky escape.

Glad you are okay, Dr. Zorg. That is a little too close for comfort. cheers...go have a tall one, you deserve it sir.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Back of with your politics. This is the South that is controlled by the South and not really Yingluck.

Are you serious?

Deputy PM Chalerm was appointed to oversee security operations in Thailand’s Deep South. This was appointed by the Pheu Thai PM, yingluck.

So you state that the Pheu Thai are not responsible?

Please elaborate?

Maybe because the deep south did not vote PTP one can understand why they ignore the deep south, but if you feel the PTP are democratic then lets hear your excuses.

Edited by djjamie

Yes, she would never go to Narathiwat.

attachicon.gif1.jpg

And she CERTAINLY would not be aware there is a "Yala".

attachicon.gif2.jpg

And going to Pattani is out of the question.

attachicon.gif3.jpg

What never? No, never. What... never?

Well, hardly ever.

If by "ignoring the South" you mean publicly opening discussions with Malaysian separatists for the first time in history in addition to personal visits then, yes, she has ignored the South.

Your error, really, is to attribute this to Pheu Thai. There were bombs going off in Hat Yai by these same gangs and terrorists when AIS wasn't even a glint in Thaksin Shinawatra's eye - when the late political force Abhisit Vejjajiva was just a young British boy. Not only is there plenty of blame to spread around, even the current violence traces directly back to the 1960s. And there was plenty before that, from other directions. Blaming PTP for bombs in Hat Yai is like blaming Obama for failing to wipe out al-Qaeda. Sure, he's the current incompetent but there's a whole history of incompetence involved.

Your error is not to realise the long, rich history of terrorism and violence in the deep South.

Even Suthep has not got the guts to have a rally in Hat Yai, and he will tell you that he is worshipped in the south.

Well quite right but there ARE politicians who have held and will hold rallies in Hat Yai, and often do. The point is rather that there are several different "Souths" between Cha-Am and Betong and Suthep doesn't have anything to do with even half of it.

To be fair, I think quite a few administrations have, one way or another, marginalised issues in the South. Paying lip service was the closest anyone got to resolving the issues. I simply cannot understand why affirmative action cannot be taken and why the loss of mostly innocent lives is allowed to continue; that body count is allowed to continue its 'growth trajectory'. If they don't want the southern provinces anymore, why don't just give it to Malaysia? If they do, then why don't they do something with it and integrate it back into larger Thailand? Of course these are just very simplistic views of mine. I understand there are many forces, variables and considerations in play. But I wish there weren't. Peace may be too much to ask for at this stage but I do wish the killings would at least stop.

But yes, let's wait for a statement from Poo... on Facebook of course.

Oh, "they" definitely do want them, there's not a Thai who doesn't, either. And I think you might be surprised at any vote about it, not that there ever will be one in our lifetimes. And Malaysia wouldn't take them if you threw in Suthep's stakes as a bonus.
In the meantime, I assume you have heard something of "the culture of corruption", from The Kamnan if no one else? Well, you haven't seen anything until you go to the South. And you haven't seen the real deal until you go WAY south and see how the kings of corruption do it, particularly those in national uniforms. They are the ones who encourage the separatism, do their own dirty bombing under black flags (and blame the separatists), deal arms and drugs and much, much more. It's why the people in that region don't like Bangkok very much, really. And while it is a dirty, mixed-up confused and confusing situation in the deep South, it has absolutely nothing to do with religion.

Ummm, wonderful, she visited the deep south..Great pics.

I stated she is ignoring the deep south now. I did not say she didn't visit it. She has made over 200 local and overseas visits (look it up yourself) in her time as PM. SHe visited the Maldives, but does that mean she worries about the Maldives?

I can send you some quant photos of yingluck looking at fruit like below, but it does not mean she loves fruit.

Actions speak loader than words.

Her actions and the PTP actions have shown that they have ignored the deep south since December the 9th. Up until then they actively attended meetings with the separatists.

This is a fact.

PTP hate facts.

They prefer beliefs as you have highlighted.

• Like 1

I met an American guy in his mid 20s whilst in Penang a few years back. he said he lived in Hat Yai with his girlfriend and I thought to myself, why the hell would you do a thing like that

Why not? What the hell is wrong with Hat yai? Been here for nearly 2 years We live on the out skirts of the City no probs. Didn't even know about the blasted bombs until someone told us,If you don't know anything about Hat Yai just shut the f,,,k up ok.

• Like 2

I'm from Malaysia and will be travelling to hatyai next week.

Is it safe for me to visit hatyai at this moment?

Really appreciate any advise

As safe as it gets...

Heavy police and army presence around..

The terrorists made their point...now they will lay low until the next strike ...i.e months away or more..coffee1.gif

Let's hope so. Yes, last time there were bombs down town there was an extremely visible (and alert) police and army presence on the streets for weeks. Cars entering shopping centres were being searched properly instead of just being waved through because you weren't a Muslim.

It saddens all of us when a few fundaMENTALists can ruin the reputation of the decent folk in the deep south. Such a microscopic amount of terrorists can blight the reputation of some of the most lovely people in Thailand.

To all the anti Muslims posting here: Don't believe this is about the teachings of the Qur'an. It isn't. This is about drugs, smuggling and taking advantage of ill educated people for their own agenda.

No one is innocent in these situations regardless of religion.

• Like 1

Why don't this bloody cowards show their faces and fight their cause in the open, utilizing their brains (if any brain tissue is left) instead of bombs? The question however always is, same as in Syria, Afghanistan, Iraq, Lybia, and Ucrania: "Cui bono?"

Let's hope so. Yes, last time there were bombs down town there was an extremely visible (and alert) police and army presence on the streets for weeks. Cars entering shopping centres were being searched properly instead of just being waved through because you weren't a Muslim.

How could they tell who is and who isn't a Muslim? ermm.gif

Edited by rajyindee

How could they tell who is and who isn't a Muslim? ermm.gif

This is getting better and better - is it first of April again?

I'm from Malaysia and will be travelling to hatyai next week.

Is it safe for me to visit hatyai at this moment?

Really appreciate any advise

politics aside I would not go anywhere near a place that had terrorist attacks in the last week.

IMO go somewhere else.

Seriously……Try Samui, Koh Chang, Phuket.

Don't visit Hat Yai.

That is my opinion though.

Keep away from PDRC sites due to the terrorist attacks on the protestors.

Keep away from any political activity….