Bomb blasts rock Hat Yai

webfact

Firstly this is a terrible act that does not seem to cease. The PTP have really ignored the south while trying to cling to power. Shame on them. Peace talks have stopped and the voters are held in contempt again.

When there is a terrorist attack in Thailand one can be assured yingluck will be inspecting fruit the next day.

Better check out her FB page for her reaction to it, if any. She probably won't even know about it.

Shame on you for bringing the PM into this, you really are scraping the barrel.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Firstly this is a terrible act that does not seem to cease. The PTP have really ignored the south while trying to cling to power. Shame on them. Peace talks have stopped and the voters are held in contempt again.

When there is a terrorist attack in Thailand one can be assured yingluck will be inspecting fruit the next day.

Better check out her FB page for her reaction to it, if any. She probably won't even know about it.

Well I knew soneone from sutheps side would try to blame the TPT. But the TPT are no where near that area because irt is suthep's spot and it probbaly was his own people doing it.

Well I knew soneone from sutheps side would try to blame the TPT. But the TPT are no where near that area because irt is suthep's spot and it probbaly was his own people doing it.
---------------------------

Yup only a matter of time before a Dumb Ass Reply would come from the red buffalo's

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

[quote name="fasteddie" "djjamie" Firstly this is a terrible act that does not seem to cease. The PTP have really ignored the south while trying to cling to power. Shame on them. Peace talks have stopped and the voters are held in contempt again.

Shame on you for bringing the PM into this, you really are scraping the barrel.

------------------------+--

Scrapping the bottom of the barrel is where you will find the PM !! Nothing new there Lol

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I stated she is ignoring the deep south now. I did not say she didn't visit it.

Er. Yes. In fact you said she probably didn't even know about it. That is what you ACTUALLY wrote.

However. You have overtaken that silliness with the startling and major scoop above. I presume you don't want to give up your sources, but can you fill in more details please? I for one did not know this, it has appeared in NO Thai or foreign media. More, more!!

What I did see in the newspapers was a statement by the prime minister's chief of national security that he had the South as his No. 1 priority issue. As I say, your statement is a major scoop, indicating he was lying through his teeth and of course on behalf not just of the PM but the entire government and security apparatus.

Ummm, wonderful, she visited the deep south..Great pics.

I stated she is ignoring the deep south now. I did not say she didn't visit it. She has made over 200 local and overseas visits (look it up yourself) in her time as PM. SHe visited the Maldives, but does that mean she worries about the Maldives?

I can send you some quant photos of yingluck looking at fruit like below, but it does not mean she loves fruit.

Actions speak loader than words.

Her actions and the PTP actions have shown that they have ignored the deep south since December the 9th. Up until then they actively attended meetings with the separatists.

This is a fact.

PTP hate facts.

They prefer beliefs as you have highlighted.

There have been no meetings with the separatists since Ramadan, which was in August. There have been some desultory contacts, desultory because the Barisan Revolusi Nasional (BRN) wants it that way. But meetings were called off as of the end of Ramadan by unilateral decision of the BRN. Since then the government has paid a LOT of attention to trying to get these propaganda-friendly talks going again, because they give the impression of some sort of progress. But between the BRN and the leaders of southern corruption on the Thai side, there have been no meetings.

I'm from Malaysia and will be travelling to hatyai next week.
Is it safe for me to visit hatyai at this moment?
Really appreciate any advise

You'll have to get with a fortune teller on that, nurul. There is no way for regular people to know the answer. The very last moments, 10 seconds ago, were ever so safe. Ten seconds from now, who knows?

I'm rather surprised how many people are surprised at yesterday's events, given that bombs have been going off in Hat Yai for 50 years over this southern violence, including the past 10 years of increased violence. I think it is very safe to predict there will be more bombs in Hat Yai in the future, but WHEN in the future is impossible to know. Have a great trip, though, because for 99.9999% of moments, there's no problem with bombs in Hat Yai.

To all the anti Muslims posting here: Don't believe this is about the teachings of the Qur'an. It isn't. This is about drugs, smuggling and taking advantage of ill educated people for their own agenda.

No one is innocent in these situations regardless of religion.

Well, I'll be darned.

I am always pleasantly surprised at words of knowledge and wisdom about Thailand on Thai Visa, they being so rare - and about the far South doubly so.

I hope everyone reads AND absorbs that first para above, schondie, good work! No, I take that back, GREAT summary and wise beyond expectation, unfortunately.

Edited by wandasloan
  • Like 1

If this was any other country the PM would be making immediate statements about the attacks. In Thailand however, Bangkok is quite nonchalant about the terrorism that occurs in the south which is quite saddening. Perhaps its just the decades of mismanagement of the country that has led them to this. Perhaps the southern provinces would have been better off being annexed by Malaysia...

• Like 1

If this was any other country the PM would be making immediate statements about the attacks. In Thailand however, Bangkok is quite nonchalant about the terrorism that occurs in the south which is quite saddening. Perhaps its just the decades of mismanagement of the country that has led them to this. Perhaps the southern provinces would have been better off being annexed by Malaysia...

The deep South provinces were once ruled/governed by British Malaya. The provinces were ceded by the British to the Thais in 1909. One of the motivations being an inducement for the Thais to counter French influence & colonial expansion in the region.

Some years back there was a poll regarding Thai Muslims views of Thai rule of the region and about 80% desired to remain under Thai governance with some form of provincial self-rule. When Yingluck came to power she stated willingness to consider some form of autonomy for the deep South, but this was not supported by the Thai Military leadership with the nationalist view of 'Nation, Religion, King'.

As stated above many hold the view the insurgency is not driven by Islamic extremism, although it is claimed extremism is slowly on the increase. It is estimated there are only around 10k-20k members of the insurgency that is also very fragmented with, it is believed, nine different political groups with a relatively small number of armed members with differing agendas. The situation is quite different to other areas of conflict with apparently no political leadership representing all the differing groups for negotiating a ‘road map to peace’

As indicated much of the violence is due to business disputes, smuggling of drugs, oil, control of human trafficking and so on. As someone said "cui bono", its definitely not just the locals whether they be Buddhist or Muslim.

Edited by simple1
  • Like 1

SOUTH CRISIS
Two blasts rock Hat Yai, wounding 10 people

The Nation

30233045-03_big.jpg

HAT YAI: -- Two large bomb attacks were carried out yesterday in Hat Yai business district of Songkhla province, wounding 10 people and causing large fires and heavy property damage.

Initially it was reported that about five simultaneous bomb attacks had taken place after the first went off at 1.45pm, but later police and provincial authorities confirmed that there were just two.

Hat Yai police chief Pol Colonel Phassakorn Klanwan said multiple explosions of gas cylinders in a car, to which one of the bombs was attached, misled people into believing there were several simultaneous bomb attacks.

However, the first blast was a motorcycle-bomb planted at a convenience store on Phol Phichai Road across from Chunkgolpaktai Technological College, which wounded six, Phassakorn said.

Nobody seriously injured

The second bomb, which went off 10 minutes later, was planted underneath a confiscated car parked near the construction site of police flats inside the Hat Yai police station complex, he said. None of the 10 victims, including two policemen, were seriously wounded, provincial governor Krissada Bunraj said.

Phassakorn added that security camera footage would be used to identify who planted the bombs and when they were planted. Police bomb disposal personnel will release details about the type of bombs used.

Fires blazed at the two bomb sites for about an hour before they were extinguished and left many vehicles parked nearby heavily damaged.

A high-ranking security source said later that those behind the bomb attacks were the same group reported to have stolen vehicles - a motorcycle in Yala and a pick-up truck in Pattani.

They allegedly arrived in Hat Yai in the morning, and left after the bombs went off.

The source admitted that security had been lax, and exploited by the attackers.

Meanwhile, national police chief Pol General Adul Saengsingkaew has instructed local police units to be stationed at key locations to safeguard them, while Explosives Ordnance Disposal units were inspecting the sites and determining the sizes and types of both bombs.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-05-07

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Hat Yai is a great city. I go there often, never had any trouble. Even so, I was able to spot suspicious locations for extremists. I also know for a fact that folks across the border support them. One even tried to recruit me as a 'doc' for the wounded. I was silent. Dangerous stuff.

I edited a Phd thesis on the subject some years ago, after which I concluded these animals who kill innocents are receiving outside help and misdirection; especially after two events:(1) an agreement between Malaysia and Thais on joint Military ventures that excluded the granting of a military base to the US in the S China Sea; and (2) the fiasco where 80 plus of them were corralled at a central mosque immediately after a very successful op.

Solution? Any ideas? Mine is to have Thais withdraw and leave the Muslims to their own devices while keep a fiercely guarded perimeter. They will fail of course, but let them eat each other rather than disturb the peace of the nation.

Yes, I am a Muslim, but what they are doing is not Islamic in the least. Were I young again, I'd be busy hunting them down like the animals they've become.

I had this same thought...leave that area to the Muslims...but...had to ponder...would that just be the 1st step...toward moving north creating havoc in more of Thailand...what would stop them from just moving into another area...once they have tasted victory in S. Thailand?

amazing nobody was killed and it says 10 injured but not life threatening.... of course the gov has left the south alone and now 5 months of no gov really.... I wonder what would happen if the 3 souther provinces actually did a Referendum vote like Crimea just did and scotland is doing way down in september... hmmm... if they voted like Crimea did - maybe the usa would have to step in and appoint an interim PM and leaders to go after teh "terrorists" in the south of Thailand just like what has been done in the Ukraine...but seriously... the south has not had a vote to leave thailand yet ?

it's a darn good thing Thailand doesn't need to borrow 18+ billion from the IMF - cause it would be a whole new ballgame here....and who knows where these guys are getting their bomb making materials from? home made from Tesko and the local fertilizer shops or maybe Malay or who else would be wanting to supply them...the good ol C of IA just for fun and practice? they seem to be great at killing teachers, monks, rubber plantation workers and also quite a few thai army guys and police... I would sit down and give them some self autonomy and get some projects going that the money could be controlled somehow so it goes to muslim schools and stuff and not into buying more guns and bombs...but what do i know - i'm just a dumb falung here for 14 yrs in bangkok....

The separatists would win of course. They have been ethnically cleansing southern Thailand so there wouldn't be many non-Malays left there. It's only a matter of time before the south falls, and Malaysia get "back" their 3 sultanates. Malaysia is part of the problem here.

From Wiki- "Muslims in Southern Thailand made up 30.4% of population over the age 15, while constituting less than 3% in the other regions of the country." So the people saying give them the 3 provinces, what are the other 70% suppose to do? Its a porous border with billions of dollars in contraband (tropical birds elephants tusks, tiger penises, turtles eggs, drugs, fuel, guns etc...)trafficked through. For this to continue the area needs to remain unstable.

Simple solution to problem just make south Thailand a pork raising region and move 100,000,000 pigs there to be raised That will not only get them to leave it will keep the others over the border out. I know that sounds racist but talking with them dosen't work and a mind that is rotted can't changed. But trying to give them an inch they want a mile.

The border between Thailand and malaysia is full of hole it would be in the best interest of Thailnd to mine there side put up warning signs Then reduce visa approvals from Malaysia to business only. By do this you make harder for terriosts to cross over and create unrest.

yes its sad this happens I was in Hai Yai in 2012 and it was a lovely place. I loved the early morning dumplings and all the great food, markets and touristy things plus the raan ap op nuats smile.png Pity its always a small group that has to mess it up for all.

Do like the Thai government. There are no bombings, shootings or killings. Don't talk with those extremists. Don't give them a face. All is under control.

This is almost the standard answer from every government that strugle with terrorism. It take years and many deads before they start act.

Only talks and give them a face make that you can take them up in the soceiety. Then they will get after a while a political party with extreme views and slowly the sharp corners will get round. Examples like the ETA (Spain) and IRA (Iere) speak for them self.

Place them, like now, outside the soceiety and small groups will go on aslong as the funding proveided. No terrorisme without money.

The border between Thailand and malaysia is full of hole it would be in the best interest of Thailnd to mine there side put up warning signs Then reduce visa approvals from Malaysia to business only. By do this you make harder for terriosts to cross over and create unrest.

Nothing like a well informed TV poster .. & thats nothing like one wink.png

I think its time for some eye for an eye justice

You need to read more history if you think that will have any impact on fanatics other than making them more determined (and bringing everyone down to their level).

• Like 2

Simple solution to problem just make south Thailand a pork raising region and move 100,000,000 pigs there to be raised That will not only get them to leave it will keep the others over the border out. I know that sounds racist but talking with them dosen't work and a mind that is rotted can't changed. But trying to give them an inch they want a mile.

Pig farms are a major industry in the South, and pigs both live and butchered are major export items, especially to Malaysia because it's close.

Next.

soon they'll move up to Phuket

Could you define "soon" a little more closely? The major groups involved in this violence are around 60 years old and they haven't moved an inch. They haven't even moved to the next-door province of Satun which is Muslim-majority. Not to mention they have no interest in anything outside the former sultanate of Patani, which Phuket is.

Next.

Do like the Thai government. There are no bombings, shootings or killings. Don't talk with those extremists. Don't give them a face. All is under control.

The Thai government opened official talks with them 15 months ago.

Next.

This is not a mocking post, it's a very, very short introduction to this serious, complex problem. Most posts haven't a clue what is going on in the area. I'd like to thank simple1 for a hugely rational and informational post. If you didn't read it, go and do it now. It has actual information and facts in it. Like any such post, by definition, it did not contain a 12-word solution to the problem. Because there isn't one.
Edited by wandasloan
  • Like 2

Pig farms are a major industry in the South, and pigs both live and butchered are major export items, especially to Malaysia because it's close.

Next.

Could you define "soon" a little more closely? The major groups involved in this violence are around 60 years old and they haven't moved an inch. They haven't even moved to the next-door province of Satun which is Muslim-majority. Not to mention they have no interest in anything outside the former sultanate of Patani, which Phuket is.

Next.

Next.

This is not a mocking post, it's a very, very short introduction to this serious, complex problem. Most posts haven't a clue what is going on in the area. I'd like to thank simple1 for a hugely rational and informational post. If you didn't read it, go and do it now. It has actual information and facts in it. Like any such post, by definition, it did not contain a 12-word solution to the problem. Because there isn't one.

And stopt them also 5 months ago

To speak with your words.............next

I see this story is off the online papers already.

A bit like the last one in Lee Gardens. It was announced it was a gas leak in McDonald's for the first three days. My wife's former student worked there. There is no gas, it's all run off electricity. By the time they admitted it was a bomb it was yesterday's news.

Edited by Jimjim1968

As other erudite forum members have pointed out, this is a very complex problem that doesn't have a simple solution. Incorporating Pattani, Yala and Narathiwat into Malaysia wouldn't help alleviate the grinding poverty that is seen in the smaller villages as many rural Malays face the same problems.

No work close by and bored teenagers without much education are ideal targets for these groups to find recruits. There's no real solution as some of these groups want to be independent of both Thailand and Malaysia and others want to be part of Malaysia. Nobody will ever be happy unfortunately. Too many groups pulling into too many directions.

The silent majority are proud to be Thai and would rather just face the same problems that most people face; putting food on the table and just ticking over instead of living in constant fear of death.

I'm sure the "intelligentsia" of TVF could find a better solution than kill 'em all to these problems.

Sorry this was in reply to wandasloan's post above. Schondie do you really think board kids are cutting off the heads of munks and shooting children? Its more complicated.

It is claimed most of the killing by the insurgents is carried out by the younger generation, the Juwae. A member of TV who has visited the area a number of times on media assignments describes them as 'boys with guns'.

A fairly lenghty article by a journalist who has visited the deep South on a number of occassion and met with some of the insurgents is below:

http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2013/05/the-strange-thai-insurgents-who-like-sorcery-and-get-high-on-cough-syrup/275614/

Edited by simple1

Hat Yai is a great city. I go there often, never had any trouble. Even so, I was able to spot suspicious locations for extremists. I also know for a fact that folks across the border support them. One even tried to recruit me as a 'doc' for the wounded. I was silent. Dangerous stuff.

I edited a Phd thesis on the subject some years ago, after which I concluded these animals who kill innocents are receiving outside help and misdirection; especially after two events:(1) an agreement between Malaysia and Thais on joint Military ventures that excluded the granting of a military base to the US in the S China Sea; and (2) the fiasco where 80 plus of them were corralled at a central mosque immediately after a very successful op.

Solution? Any ideas? Mine is to have Thais withdraw and leave the Muslims to their own devices while keep a fiercely guarded perimeter. They will fail of course, but let them eat each other rather than disturb the peace of the nation.

Yes, I am a Muslim, but what they are doing is not Islamic in the least. Were I young again, I'd be busy hunting them down like the animals they've become.

So, what are you saying in your 2nd paragraph? The US didn't get a base in the S China Sea, so they're helping "the animals that kill innocents"? I really don't understand what you're saying. Can you elaborate, please?

I met an American guy in his mid 20s whilst in Penang a few years back. he said he lived in Hat Yai with his girlfriend and I thought to myself, why the hell would you do a thing like that

Why not? What the hell is wrong with Hat yai? Been here for nearly 2 years We live on the out skirts of the City no probs. Didn't even know about the blasted bombs until someone told us,If you don't know anything about Hat Yai just shut the f,,,k up ok.

oooo don't get your knickers in a twist. Handbags at dawn! I've been to Hatyai twice, but ya know, I just prefer to live somewhere that does not have regular bombings and terrorist attacks, call me crazy

Next.

Next.

Next.

Wandasloan....Yes it's quite obvious you know very little as well.....after the quote from you, like the one I highlighted above. You know absolutely nothing about the South Of Thailand by your comments. SONGKHLA has never belonged to Malaysia....but they want that too.