Vietnamese tourists infuriated by $700 proof of funds to enter Thailand

From Tuoi Tre news:

Nguyen Manh Hung felt like he was posing for a mugshot when he was forced to stand in front of a webcam, covering half of his face with US$700 worth of banknotes, for immigration officers to take a photo of him at a Thailand – Cambodia check point last week.

Seems like this was specific to the Poipet/Aranyaprathet border crossing, but pretty sad none the less. Considering how little it costs to get here from Vietnam, $700 is quite an enormous sum of money to expect anyone from such a poor country to have for what might be just a short vacation in a neighbor country. I wonder if this happens to people entering at airports as well.

• Like 1

These are the rules and the amount of money is only an example which is what the "i.e." means.

Foreigners entering Thailand under the Tourist Visa Exemption category must possess adequate finances for the duration of stay in Thailand (i.e., cash 10,000 Baht per person and 20,000 Baht per family).

From: http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/123/15396-Tourist-Visa-Exemption.html

If you think that is tough, try applying for a Visa to visit Australia if you are a Thai.

Australia spends millions of dollars to encourage tourism, then makes would-be customers jump through hoops to even set foot in the place.

What on earth does a Thai attempting to visit Australia that have to do with this subject?

• Like 2

OP, if Vietnamese are all so poor then they wouldn't be travelling to Thailand. However, it can be a bit of a shock to be forced to show 20,000 Baht (or equivalent) in cash on demand. Personally I almost never carry that much cash around, preferring to use debit/credit cards. Vietnam is a bit more of a cash based society, but that doesn't mean everyone from there who is a tourist travelling to another country will be walking around with hundreds or even thousands of dollars in cash to be produced on demand.

Anyway, rules are rules so Thai immigration can apply or enforce any rules it wants. Vietnam unfairly discriminates against Thai tourists that want to drive their own Thai registered vehicles into Vietnam, which Thailand reciprocates by refusing entry to Vietnamese vehicles. BTW what kind of "caravan" was the one mentioned in the article? A "caravan" of passengers travelling by bus that happen to be VW lovers?

Edited by Tomtomtom69

Thailand has been having a problem with Vietnamese criminal gangs, especially pick-pocketing teams who work major events and tourist areas in Bangkok.

It can be safely assumed that Vietnamese entering from Cambodia at a land crossing such as Aranyaphratet also crossed and entered Cambodia from Vietnam by land.

This is the cheapest though most time consuming route from Vietnam into Thailand so it is not unreasonable for the Thais to suspect that some of those travelers might not have sufficient funds for a "holiday" and could possibly be planning to either work illegally or participate in illegal activity.

I say the Thai Immigration officers were properly doing their job.

• Like 2

I have seen this at the Poipet border. People showing money and immigration taking a picture with the webcam. Funny thing is I have also seen them after taking the picture turning around and giving the money to the next person in line so they can do the same :D

These are the rules and the amount of money is only an example which is what the "i.e." means.

Foreigners entering Thailand under the Tourist Visa Exemption category must possess adequate finances for the duration of stay in Thailand (i.e., cash 10,000 Baht per person and 20,000 Baht per family).

i.e. means id est, nothing to do with 'example':)

Edited by noodle

I have seen this at the Poipet border. People showing money and immigration taking a picture with the webcam. Funny thing is I have also seen them after taking the picture turning around and giving the money to the next person in line so they can do the same biggrin.png

They are now writing down the serial numbers of the notes used.

• Like 1

Can I just flash a credit card?

Technically they want to see cash, but credit cards should be acceptable if you convince them (or immigration might direct you to an ATM where you would need to withdraw the funds and show them). However, as this report suggests, Vietnamese and a few others are being asked, not westerners or others from rich countries - although relatively few Vietnamese own credit cards and even ATM/debit cards are only used by the middle and upper classes so not being able to show cash may be a problem for them, whereas for us, we all have ATM cards at least and many of us also own credit cards. Having said that, not everyone would necessarily be in a position to withdraw that much cash in one go; maybe they have exhausted most of their savings, maxed their credit cards etc.

However, the rules that are in place indicate that all foreigners can be required to produce 10,000-20,000 Baht in cash on arrival if demanded (10,000 Baht if arriving on a visa waiver and 20,000 per family or if arriving on a tourist visa). There was some talk about this happening at the Mae Sai crossing a little while ago and the amount that needed to be shown there was 10,000 Baht for those arriving on tourist visa waivers (15 or 30 days).

In any case, talk nicely and do what immigration/customs asks of you. They may be having a bad day, may not talk nicely to you, but they have the power to let you into the country or not - so being abusive, threatening or failing to comply with their requests can be enough to send you packing. Having the means to support yourself whilst in a foreign country as a temporary resident for tourism purposes is a requirement for entry in many countries and after having watched countless episodes of "Border Security Australia's Frontline" and the equivalent Canadian and American versions I have seen numerous foreigners being rejected by the immigration authorities of those countries and deported for not having enough funds to support themselves and suspected of trying to work illegally. There have been Americans deported from Australia, Dutch deported from America just as Poles, Malaysians, Koreans, Thais, Vietnamese etc. have all been returned on the next flight for not having sufficient means to support themselves in Australia (this is based on watching various episodes of border security). It's no different in the case of Thai immigration's suspicions towards Vietnamese and various other foreign nationals at it's border crossings.

Edited by Tomtomtom69
  • Like 1

I remember a time when they wanted any farrang entering the country to have 40,000 baht or some such thing. Is that still around?

I have never been asked to show any funds but I always keep it in the back of my head to have 40,000 in cash whenever I enter Thailand.

Why Thai? We have money(to travel) so why we have to choose Thai to Be discriminated like this.

Many tourists has cancelled their tour to Thái after this news publiced.

Bye Thai.

Discrimination? A lot of countries require proof of funds, Australia and the Schengen countries spring to mind.

And really, if you cannot show a paltry USD 700.00, that holiday should be postponed.

• Like 1

I'm willing to show my ability finance to the customs the credit card or cash. However, they behaved to us like a crimes, taking face with money by webcam and noted money series. Vietnam is neighbour and a member in ASEAN area. But Other members in ASEAN are allowed easily but Vietnam not in this situation.

For being respected, Thailand officially won't be a friendly place to mẹ forever...

cua-khau-Thai-Lan-2877-1399650-7806-4648

I'm willing to show my ability finance to the customs the credit card or cash. However, they behaved to us like a crimes, taking face with money by webcam and noted money series. Vietnam is neighbour and a member in ASEAN area. But Other members in ASEAN are allowed easily but Vietnam not in this situation.

For being respected, Thailand officially won't be a friendly place to mẹ forever...

cua-khau-Thai-Lan-2877-1399650-7806-4648

Well, unfortunately there seems to be a problem with illegal working, overstaying and criminal activities perpetrated by nationals of Vietnam in Thailand. Whilst I have seen or heard little about it until now, this seems to be the major reason for why these measures are being implemented. Keep in mind that much richer South Korean nationals are also being asked now according to the notice above. What I find strange is that nationals of most west African countries are not on the list of countries above, however, I suspect that they are unlikely to be seen crossing land borders in this region due to stringent visa requirements for these nationals.

I don't see a problem with the webcam because it's used by immigration authorities in many countries. Anyway it should just be seen as a cultural difference and no offence taken. I have learned that as a foreigner seeking entry or re-entry to another country it is useless to get upset and try to take it out on an immigration official, whether at a border or an office seeking an extension. It is their right to decide whether you can enter or not. I once made a bit of a fuss at Vietnam customs about a strange rule that required a Lao national to drive my car across the Vietnamese border but had I just patiently waited it out, the customs officials probably would have gotten bored and let me through anyway; given that 8 months earlier I was able to just drive through without fuss I didn't understand why they decided to make up new rules as they went along, or so I thought. Just learn to be patient and accept these things. Besides, having sufficient funds to support yourself and being required to SHOW these funds to an immigration/customs officer is not an unreasonable requirement.

if you still don't believe me, please go to Youtube.com and watch some episodes of Australia's Border Security. There you'll see nationals of numerous countries, Americans, Romanians, Poles, Vietnamese etc. all refused entry because they weren't able to show sufficient funds for their stay. However, they generally aren't required to specifically show cash only, but rather all financial means, including cash (if available).