I Need Help with Health Insurance

Steevo

I am currently in the U.S. and covered under Medicaid. I am 59 years old and will be leaving for Thailand & various parts of Southeast Asia on a 2-3 year hiatus and possible retirement. I have a Thai long stay retirement Visa so Thailand will be my base but I do not currently have or plan to have a permanent address in Thailand.

I am looking for options on International Health Insurance. I just spoke with two Insurance companies 1 in the UK the other in the States. Both quotes were between $500.00 & $1,000 per month. I almost needed medical care on the spot.

I would like to pick the brains of those already in the know about this topic. Do I need to purchase international health insurance in the US or is there a better alternative. What kind of Insurance do Travellers have?

I leave in about 3 weeks and would really appreciate some help.....other sites are to vague.

Thanks Steevo

I got Back packer insurance before on travelsupermarket site. It scrapes lots of Insurance sites and brings back the best deals. It covers for 1 year, not sure if you can extend after this, but worth a look. It's not just for backpackers.

• Like 1

Try Bupa International. Won't be cheap but will be comprehensive.

Though, sure you understand that you'll soon struggle to find half the coverage, if at all, as you get older.

http://www.bupa-intl.com/health-insurance/campaigns/cover/en/?cmpid=ppc-ac01057103&_$ja=cgid:11922495993%7ctsid:57162%7ccid:162734433%7clid:94481713%7cnw:g%7ccrid:39324512313%7crnd:16753765721547157243%7cdvc:c%7cadp:1t1

• Like 2

As you will be in S.E.A. for a few years with a possibility of staying on we would not suggest a full International medical policy - you would only be paying for coverage you do not need.

Instead we suggest a policy designed for S.E.A. which has a lower premium (due to lower costs here) but typically more than sufficient coverage e.g. USD1m

Please contact us via the web site : www.aainsure.net or send me a PM

Thanks RIJB,

I just went online and got what seems like a reasonable quote of $800.00 although I am unsure if this is for 1 month or the 364 days I put down.

Any insight?

I just went online and got what seems like a reasonable quote of $800.00 although I am unsure if this is for 1 month or the 364 days I put down.

Any insight?

Overall for the year, i.e. Accidental death & dismemberment insured and spouse USD 10,000.

You can only die once and the coverage doesn't appear heavy-duty.

The premiums referenced above are applicable for the initial 364-day coverage period...

http://www2.sevencorners.com/downloads/brochures/reside_br.pdf

Edited by wooloomooloo

Thanks RIJB,

Any insight?

It's yearly. But, you can break up the payment (for a small nominal fee :).

The prices you have been quoted are normal for "Medical Insurance"..

There are cheap policies that many people rely on which is nothing more than glorified accident insurance..

Whilst the cheap insurance will cover you and should look after you (up to a relatively low predefined limit), they will ditch you as soon as your health takes a turn for the worse, this may potentially leave you un-insurable to anyone.

Proper medical insurance will cover you continuously and should not increase your premium (except age related increases) regardless of what health problems you may develop.

• Like 1

Any insight?

Overall for the year, i.e. Accidental death & dismemberment insured and spouse USD 10,000.

You can only die once and the coverage doesn't appear heavy-duty.

The premiums referenced above are applicable for the initial 364-day coverage period...

http://www2.sevencorners.com/downloads/brochures/reside_br.pdf

Does that mean they will increase the premium from year to year and then end up at several thousands per year?

Contact Workers compensation Califonia today if you want any assistance regarding insurance. They give you the best possible advice regarding insurance policy.

I perused their site and they don't do international coverage, as least from what I could read. I've use World Nomads for travel insurance before. Had a small claim and they dealt with it promptly. No hassles. You can get quotes online. No coverage while you are in the US.

There are many options. I'd suggest you start a dialog with AA Insurance Brokers. I have met with them before and they have a variety of policies on offer. I use them for my home and car insurance here.

Be careful with the cheap Thai policies. Looks good on paper, but what a nightmare trying to get reimbursed. Bupa is a reputable company. But as mentioned above, the prices can skyrocket as you get older.

Make sure you have a sum of money ready just in case something bad does happen. If you ride scooters over here, make sure you are fully insured...or have a bunch of cash in the bank just in case.

Would love to hear what you decide to do! And welcome to Thailand.

Steevo...

On first read of your posting these words popped up...

"I am currently in the U.S. and covered under Medicaid. I am 59 years old"

IF you are covered under Medicaid in your resident state in USA....

Some questions I have...

I may assume you have qualified for "Medicaid"...(may be disabled/or low income)...

and may have medical conditions pre-existing.

Medicaid will not cover you outside the USA...

I do NOT KNOW of any Thai or International insurer which will cover pre-existing conditions.

Are you covered under Veterans Disability?

Are you under Social Security Disability?

Good Luck...I wish you well and happiness if you are able to relocate to SE Asia.

tj

The basic problem is that most, if not all, of the medical plans exclude pre-existing conditions. If you want to use BUPA, do it before you turn 60 otherwise it will be problematic.

Bupa is 5 * when you don't need it

Hostile when you do...

Try Bupa International. Won't be cheap but will be comprehensive.

Though, sure you understand that you'll soon struggle to find half the coverage, if at all, as you get older.

http://www.bupa-intl.com/health-insurance/campaigns/cover/en/?cmpid=ppc-ac01057103&_$ja=cgid:11922495993%7ctsid:57162%7ccid:162734433%7clid:94481713%7cnw:g%7ccrid:39324512313%7crnd:16753765721547157243%7cdvc:c%7cadp:1t1

I got Back packer insurance before on travelsupermarket site. It scrapes lots of Insurance sites and brings back the best deals. It covers for 1 year, not sure if you can extend after this, but worth a look. It's not just for backpackers.

The policy is for one year, but most travel insurance only cover you for 90 days travel at a time. Is this one different?

This may not help you but for the past decade I have been living on and off in Thailand and Australia. My Australian bank provides free travel insurance if you have a Platinum credit card. It only lasts for 3 months for each trip but I have always returned to Australia within that time so it hasn't mattered.

We recently started staying in Thailand for over 4 months which would have been a problem, however fortuitously my bank issued me with a Black credit card which has 6 months free travel insurance. The card costs me about $50 per annum. I looked at taking out travel insurance as an alternative and it would have cost me over $400 per month!

The insurance cover is provided by a major insurance company and I have used it several times for health issues in Thailand and the service has been excellent.

In Australia, if your bank doesn't upgrade your credit card automatically you can still apply for an upgraded card but with a higher annual fee ($150 from memory) but you have to have a good credit rating. I have paid off my outstanding card balance on the last day it is due for years and its not difficult to maintain a good rating.

So it might be worth talking to your bank.

My wife and I retired to Thailand in October 2013, we did not have insurance till just last month, we paid cash for simple hospital visit's. very cheap 15.00-30.00 for doctors visit including pharmacy. We looked at Bupa, seems good but expensive, we are both healthy so we went with just hospital care and emergency care, and for travel insurance it works also, everywhere except the USA. My wife pay's 17,000 Baht 510.00 US. I pay 14,000 Baht. 420.00 US. a year. plus they guarantee to cover you till you are 90 years old. Since it is so cheap I would advise you to safe some extra money for small problems that might come up. Hope this helps and Welcome to Thailand. www.thailifeinsurance.com

Thai Life Insurance/ they also have life insurance, that comes with the policy. 500.00 a year for 20 years, then they return it to you with interest.

In the first place, premium is dictated by your place of residence, that is, your permanent address of the time. It is also dictated by the type of cover you want.

The US would undoubtedly have quoted to include elective treatment in the US, allowing you to return to there for any treatment, but also pushing the cost up dramatically. I should imagine you neither need nor want that. And, no, you don't need to purchase in the US; in fact, few would.

Premiums vary widely and you do, of course, get what you pay for. Some median current rates, for basic cover without the bells and whistles, range from $250 to $384 a month, with no deductible. Deductibles range from $50 to $10,000, and reduce the net premium.

TJ (Traveler Jim) jumped right at the puzzling question - a 59-year-old US citizen on Medicaid?

The OP indicates that he has already acquired a retirement visa so I'll presume that his being on Medicaid isn't related to any financial ability to maintain that status. The only other reason I can think of as to why a 59-year-old is on Medicaid is that he's also on social security disability (which normally would indicate some significant pre-existing condition(s)).

The only reason I mention it is that I have no clue how the OP is going to find any international or Thai-based health insurance coverage that won't exclude pre-existing conditions. Hopefully, the OP knows about this particular problem.

My wife and I retired to Thailand in October 2013, we did not have insurance till just last month, we paid cash for simple hospital visit's. very cheap 15.00-30.00 for doctors visit including pharmacy. We looked at Bupa, seems good but expensive, we are both healthy so we went with just hospital care and emergency care, and for travel insurance it works also, everywhere except the USA. My wife pay's 17,000 Baht 510.00 US. I pay 14,000 Baht. 420.00 US. a year. plus they guarantee to cover you till you are 90 years old. Since it is so cheap I would advise you to safe some extra money for small problems that might come up. Hope this helps and Welcome to Thailand. www.thailifeinsurance.com

Thai Life Insurance/ they also have life insurance, that comes with the policy. 500.00 a year for 20 years, then they return it to you with interest.

They should offer cover for life. And Thai life assurance is not worth the paper it is written on.

TJ (Traveler Jim) jumped right at the puzzling question - a 59-year-old US citizen on Medicaid?

The OP indicates that he has already acquired a retirement visa so I'll presume that his being on Medicaid isn't related to any financial ability to maintain that status. The only other reason I can think of as to why a 59-year-old is on Medicaid is that he's also on social security disability (which normally would indicate some significant pre-existing condition(s)).

The only reason I mention it is that I have no clue how the OP is going to find any international or Thai-based health insurance coverage that won't exclude pre-existing conditions. Hopefully, the OP knows about this particular problem.

I don't know much about Medicaid, but if that is the case, then yes, he is likely to encounter problems with any pre-existing conditions.

The Thai public health system is excellent (by 3d world standards). The constitution guarantees quality health care to all regardless of nationality. Thus I can see a doctor for 30 baht and fill any prescription at very low subsidized cost. Private clinics are not that expensive either. My son spent 5 days & nights in a public hospital. Private room, excellent care--7000 baht including physician and tests. Of course much depends on which hospital and which doctor/nurses you happen to get. Bangkok tends to be better than some in the provinces (but Khon Kaen is excellent). 'Course, we're talking about long waiting times & all the hassles that go with serving large crowds.

Private hospitals, on the other hand, tend to nice, convenient, quick and predatory. After going in for a minor ailment, under insurance, my wife was diagnosed with a serious condition and prescribed medication that made her feel wonderful, but actually made her sicker requiring additional, increasingly expensive medication (ultimately life-threatening); we got the straight poop on the advise of a nurse from a public hospital that specializes in her "condition"; she didn't have the condition. We subsequently cancelled all our insurance and now depend on the public system, and with their help she's almost fully recovered from the effects of the former medication (steroids). Again, of course, you might chance upon private, insured, care that is actually health rather than profit focused.

Don't expect to receive what you think is due.

I had a fall and was patched up in a hospital. Told to return next day to change the dressings. Insurer would not pay anything after 24 hours. Another fall and pain in lower chest after four days. Fractured ribs. Nothing covered aster 24 hours. Abandoned BUPA International several years ago. Premium increases of up to 15% each year. "Medical inflation". Refused to pay for follow up treatment. As soon as possible insurers will exclude this or that - but not reduce premium. They insure only what you do not really need and can pay for yourself, so read the fine grey print (if you can see it) before signing on.

I have had recent experience comparing many "Gold Class" plans and local deals. The interesting point is "What are you getting for your premium" so the first thing to decide is how much you want cover for, then whether you need it outside of Thailand as well. Ultimately this is what affects the premium as I guess syou are already aware, and there is a dramatic difference between companies.

I ended up with a policy based out of Hong Kong called "NOW Health" and they were half the price of BUPA, but still offered USD2m per event cover. Be careful and read fine print - a lot of Thai based companies will get you 100,000 THB per event, not much help if you have cancer and there has been a bit of that in my family. I am on my first renewal and must say feel very reassured that where we are we are covered 100% for everything (except non-accident dental - which we assessed as cheap enough in Thailand anyway).

I ended up insuring the family of four for about 6k USD, that is worldwide all countries except US, and full repatriation cover. We are a bit younger than you, but in my book extremely good value and I have to say claim wise they have been brilliant, paying within two weeks or so to any account you nominate. I am a bit younger than yourself, naturally premium is age dependent so yours will be different. However literally the same or very similar cover was double the price with the other major usual suspects.

Not sure if this is useful, if you want any specific contact details pls PM me my contact there was very helpful through the pre-qaul process.

The constitution guarantees quality health care to all regardless of nationality. Thus I can see a doctor for 30 baht and fill any prescription at very low subsidized cost.

I don't want to quarrel with the point that the Thai public health care system can be cheap and of reasonable quality, but unfortunately the above is untrue. There is no right to health care for expat residents. Take a look at the Health forum for information on how the government scheme that many thought was going to help expats turns out to be restricted to migrant workers.

• Like 1