Is CM dirty as Bangkok?

expatsupreme

I mean the streets in BKK are extremely dirty from all the exhausts, oil... In Pattaya the streets are much cleaner, what is the situation in CM?

In Bkk for example my balcony was always dirty, and black, also the floor of my room got dirty very soon because the AC was pulling the air in from outside

I have heard that in CM the pollution sometimes is really bad, but there on the other hand are a lot of green trees and such

I am not sure how AC works, but in BKK each week the tiling floor was all black from smog outside. I never had my windows open, only ac, so it must have come from there.....

In pattaya you can see the streets are not so oily, black like in BKK, and the air is much better too

I sait's MUCH cleaner. This because every time I go into Bangkok, I can't help but notice that I drive through areas where land prices are sky high, as high as all major cities in the world, and I drive past shophouses where at best the bottom level (where the shop is) it looks kind of okay, bu thten the upper floors look a horrific, grimy mess. If this was Mogadishu you'd think: okay, paint costs money. But these people make good money, and that shophouse would sell for 10 or 20 million baht. So what excuse could there possibly be to not buy a bucket of paint and a dude with a brush.

So that's the feeling I get in Bangkok. In Chiang Mai I get that far less often. People in Chiang Mai seem to take more pride in the way things look.

That said, it's still Thailand, not Switzerland. But overall I'm more often impressed with signs that people actually cared to make it look nice. Those can be older buildings, or new.

I'd be interested to hear your opinion after visiting.

It rained early about 05.30 two days ago.

My white scooter, Honda PCX, was covered in Black 'Splotches" when the rain dried .

Proof that the Muck is still up in the atmosphere.

Quite disturbing to think we are breathing this in.

john

My white scooter, Honda PCX, was covered in Black 'Splotches" when the rain dried .

john

Depending where you park your scooter chances are the muck is coming off the buildings surrounding having gathered through the dry season. I see this with my pool and filter after the first few rains until it has been washed away.

how does your air con pull in the dirt from outside?

I look at mine and it appears to suck in the air from one side of it, cool it and then kick it back out into my room. I am referring to that thing inside the room on the wall and not the condensor thingy on your balcony which acts like a radiator i assume.

If you will be throwing technical terms like this around we should move this thread the the Science sub-forumtongue.png

• Like 2

"Is CM dirty as Bangkok?"

Not yet, but we're getting there! Ask again in a couple of years.

Plastic bags are strewn all over the roads, yet shop staff, whether 7/11 or supermarkets or department stores are still endlessly bemused when I insist they use my bags, the ones I keep in my pockets and bring with me everywhere.

Sorry, a bit ranty, I know.

T

I look at mine and it appears to suck in the air from one side of it, cool it and then kick it back out into my room. I am referring to that thing inside the room on the wall and not the condensor thingy on your balcony which acts like a radiator i assume.

If you will be throwing technical terms like this around we should move this thread the the Science sub-forumtongue.png

jeez, i tried to dumb that down as much as possible... ;)

I am not sure how AC works, but in BKK each week the tiling floor was all black from smog outside. I never had my windows open, only ac, so it must have come from there.....

In pattaya you can see the streets are not so oily, black like in BKK, and the air is much better too

I believe the way AC works is by transferring heat from inside your home to outside. It doesn't (I believe) take air from the outside so there must be some other reason why your tiling floor became black. Of course air from outside enters your home regardless of whether you have your windows open.

"Is CM dirty as Bangkok?"

Not yet, but we're getting there! Ask again in a couple of years.

Plastic bags are strewn all over the roads, yet shop staff, whether 7/11 or supermarkets or department stores are still endlessly bemused when I insist they use my bags, the ones I keep in my pockets and bring with me everywhere.

Sorry, a bit ranty, I know.

T

Good Man. We brought our Tesco 'Bags for Life' with us from England and use them for shopping in Supermarkets and local markets. Always a subject of amazement and fun for the Thai's who just don't get it. I showed them to a manager in Tesco's Thailand and he was bemused. 'No understand' says he !

john

Depending where you park your scooter chances are the muck is coming off the buildings surrounding having gathered through the dry season. I see this with my pool and filter after the first few rains until it has been washed away.

no the black spots are the muck coming from the atmosphere. when we lived in the city our house had no over-hang to cover vehicles. they were parked nowhere near our buildings yet after the rain there were black spots all over the vehicles.

If it is clean at least as pattaya, I am not talking about garbage on the street, on the beach, Pattaya is really clean compared to BKK, where the rain can't wipe down all the dirt

So how did the black powder come to my room otherwise? I only use flipflops in my room, always showered imediately when I came inside......

I would say the dirtiness comes from all the diesel from the cars.....

Like when I was in India 15 years ago, I bought a white shirt, the next day it was already brown....

If it is clean at least as pattaya, I am not talking about garbage on the street, on the beach, Pattaya is really clean compared to BKK, where the rain can't wipe down all the dirt

So how did the black powder come to my room otherwise? I only use flipflops in my room, always showered imediately when I came inside......

I would say the dirtiness comes from all the diesel from the cars.....

Like when I was in India 15 years ago, I bought a white shirt, the next day it was already brown....

where do you live in Bangkok? What area?

jeez, i tried to dumb that down as much as possible... wink.png

The old kind of air con, all in one type, could be set to draw in about 10% of outside air to stop things getting too stuffy.

The newer split type do not draw in any fresh air at all, and if you have a class room with 20 or so students, the doors need to be opened between classes for a new infusion of air.

3M micro filters will save almost all the smog, dirt, bug particles from being pushed into the room.

CM is quite a clean place after heavy rains have washed away the summer dust and dirt. Sadly, there is little or no enforcement on diesel exhaust, and I am amazed they pass their annual road test.

Hope the above is not too technical. I trust bkkjames now understands that the air being blasted out of the external condenser is not from the room inside.

jeez, i tried to dumb that down as much as possible... wink.png

The old kind of air con, all in one type, could be set to draw in about 10% of outside air to stop things getting too stuffy.

The newer split type do not draw in any fresh air at all, and if you have a class room with 20 or so students, the doors need to be opened between classes for a new infusion of air.

3M micro filters will save almost all the smog, dirt, bug particles from being pushed into the room.

CM is quite a clean place after heavy rains have washed away the summer dust and dirt. Sadly, there is little or no enforcement on diesel exhaust, and I am amazed they pass their annual road test.

Hope the above is not too technical. I trust bkkjames now understands that the air being blasted out of the external condenser is not from the room inside.

Yes i will sleep better now...

Sent from my LG-P970