7 Chiang Rai districts named disaster zones

webfact

7 Chiang Rai districts named disaster zones
The Nation

30233041-01_big.jpg?1399420875065

Earthquake kills an 83yearold, injures 23 residents; three provinces hit hard

BANGKOK: -- THREE PROVINCES in the North are still struggling with the impact of Thailand's strongest earthquake in decades.

Houses, hotels, hospitals, schools, shops and temples have sustained damage, with services disrupted at many businesses.

Casualties were reported in Chiang Rai, the hardest-hit province, with the epicentre of Monday's 6.3-magnitude quake in its Phan district.

An 83-year-old local woman was fatally injured when a section of her house wall fell on her. She later succumbed to her injuries at hospital.

"The quake has also injured 23 other victims," Chatchai Phromlert, Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Department director-general, said yesterday.

Seven districts of Chiang Rai have been declared disaster-hit zones in the wake of the big quake.

More than 100 aftershocks were recorded yesterday, with some reaching a magnitude of well over 5.

The Chiang Rung Hotel in Phan district is closed temporarily to repair damage from the quake.

"It will take one or two months to fix it all," said the hotel's owner, Manas Chanprasit.

He said Monday's quake shook his four-storey hotel seriously and frightened his guests.

"They rushed out of their rooms and scurried to the ground floor, and the power went out."

Kriangkrai Weerarittipan, honorary chairman of the Chiang Rai Industry Council, said the province's business sector was hit hard, as stocked goods were damaged and several shops would have to close.

Phanphittayakhom School in Phan district is closed and the building declared a danger zone.

"Experts have examined our main building and warned us the structure is at risk of crumbling," the school's director Sanong Sujarit said.

He said the school building was leaning backward towards a public road, prompting authorities to declare the road off-limits too.

Road cracks

According to the Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Department, at least two roads were damaged in Chiang Rai.

The Highways Department closed some sections of Highway 118 yesterday for safety reasons as officials fixed deep splits in the road surface.

The National Office of Buddhism said 12 temples in Chiang Rai had suffered from quake damage. Among the badly hit is the world-famous Wat Rong Khun.

Hospitals feel the pinch

Public Health Ministry permanent secretary Dr Narong Sahametapat confirmed that the quake had caused serious damage to Mae Lao Hospital in Chiang Rai.

"With all the cracks and damage, the building's steel structure is now visible," he said.

As an emergency measure, he said medical staff had erected tents to provide services to patients.

Narong said its 17 inpatients had been transferred to another hospital nearby.

He added that some other hospitals also reported cracks but all could still function and operate their services.

Flight and train services to the quake-hit North have continued as usual. There is no damage reported to train tracks, according to preliminary inspections by the State Railway of Thailand.

Chiang Rai Airport can still facilitate flight landings and take-offs.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-05-07

As we say in California: Shift happens. I've been in a few pretty good ones that did extensive property damage. No real damage to my homes though. I would hate to see the damage if Bangkok was ever hit by a significant earthquake.

I live in Chiang Rai was down town yesterday and today, business as usual saw no damage anywhere. These must be isolated cases

we are 15 miles from center of quake another small one this morning .Why even talk Chiang Mai many moon away ???

Edited by hardy1943

Should bode well for Udon and other provinces as Bangkok floods and Chiang Mai crumbles ahead of ASEAN 2015! smile.png

That is a nonsense post if I ever saw one

You are right many attention getters here .They should get a life

Edited by hardy1943
  • Like 1

Wow, well I live in a village north of CR city 30 km; I felt two tremors. The first I said, "well, this is interesting". It was no big deal for several seconds. It is unbelievable how so much damage was done just down the road in the city. I'm sad for the White Temple, and of course the deceased and injured. Thankful for no cracks in my house or head though.

If they would have a decent building code Like the one we have in North Queensland Australia (one must built to a certain building standard to withstand category 5/6 Cyclones)Otherwise the government inspectors will not pass the building. Than there would be a lot less damage here from Earth Quakes and Big Storms !

Agree 100%.

I can see my neighbours roofing panels nailed on just waiting for a strong wind to send it flying.

If places were insulated, they'd also be a lot more comfortable. Electrical standards are so poor.

• Like 1

If they would have a decent building code Like the one we have in North Queensland Australia (one must built to a certain building standard to withstand category 5/6 Cyclones)Otherwise the government inspectors will not pass the building. Than there would be a lot less damage here from Earth Quakes and Big Storms !

I'm afraid that is a long way off in Thailand and about 75% of the planet. I really wish people wouldn't compare with their home countries.

• Like 1

In order to have building codes one would need inspectors.

In order to have inspectors one would need some intelligence.

Need I say more?

you forgot to add training and a capacity to avoid bribes, and punctuality so that they are on site when concrete is being poured into footings, etc.... whistling.gif

This country is proud that it was never colonised, but the government officials need to get out of their wonderful white ice cream suits and insist on decent standards.

No pictures of a White Temple????

There was a picture of a slightly bent white temple in one of the news reports on these pages yesterday.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I'm afraid that is a long way off in Thailand and about 75% of the planet. I really wish people wouldn't compare with their home countries.

Why not? Don't you want Thailand to improve? Not that the peeps here are forward thinking enough to make the necessary changes. Life is cheap in Thailand as it is in China.

OK. Well lets hope that the school is demolished and replaced rather than just moving back into it after a week or so if it hasnt fallen down.

Thats it,pessamistic right fom the start,kinda glass half empty kinda guy,eh!

• Like 1

Early days but amazingly so far only a few deaths and injuries from such a huge disaster.

Our sympathies to all affected.

This disaster was huge due to the lack of policy requiring strict building standards and poor attention to infrastructure.

Sure, it makes it cheap, just don't expect much left from a less then moderate shake.

Heads should roll if they don't require better standards for their people. That goes for China 100 fold (won't hold my breath though in China that would be wise)

These buildings where old. Do old Australian buildings,homes comply to cyclone code,no way.What about building on the flood plain in Qld.,guess the inspectors missed that one.