shark attack in Thailand

kaveh

Never heard of one. I would be more concerned swimming into a jelly fish. Walking on the pier at Rayong Resort, I saw a massive one, with tentacles flowing back several meters from the main body.

• Like 2

About ten years ago in Samet at the Northern part of the Island where there is a 'cliff' just past Had Sai Kaew there was a huge gaggle of Thais pointing excitedly at the water, wherein was a huge ten foot long shadow was drifting around about ten feet away. One boat captain claimed it was a Tiger Shark before racing off to get in his boat and try to harpoon the beastie. Thankfully the shark buggered off when some backpackers began throwing rocks at it to try and scare it off much to the chagrin of the assembled Thais who no doubt were looking forward to a whopping shark meat barbecue that evening. Put paid to my swimming for that week I can tell you.....

• Like 1

only loan sharks.

The other sharks are already fished out and their fins sold to Chinese.

Of course still possible that there is a problem somewhere but I never heard of one.

Seriously? If you don't know what you are talking about you don't have to respond.

To the OP, there are a lot of sharks in the Andeman side. Reef sharks, whale sharks, nurse sharks, etc.. None of them are aggressive. There has never been a reported shark attack in Thai waters. Many tour companies offer shark swimming excursions. I have done these many times. It's an amazing experience.

there might be a few left, but I have never seen one outside of a restaurant. In Koh Payam they were proud that they figured out that you can fin manta rays and sell the tips of the wings as shark fins....

About ten years ago in Samet at the Northern part of the Island where there is a 'cliff' just past Had Sai Kaew there was a huge gaggle of Thais pointing excitedly at the water, wherein was a huge ten foot long shadow was drifting around about ten feet away. One boat captain claimed it was a Tiger Shark before racing off to get in his boat and try to harpoon the beastie. Thankfully the shark buggered off when some backpackers began throwing rocks at it to try and scare it off much to the chagrin of the assembled Thais who no doubt were looking forward to a whopping shark meat barbecue that evening. Put paid to my swimming for that week I can tell you.....

Going back about 3 years ago my Thai ex's brother was snorkeling off Samet and 2 tiger sharks came to investigate what he was doing. A couple of days ago a guy I know caught 3 sharks whilst boat fishing about 20klicks off Rayong. Don't see many fishing boats close inshore here, mostly squid boats on the horizon, so I suspect there are a few sharks close to shore.

In over twenty years of diving the waters all around Thailand I have seen many sharks from the little sand sharks to 2 meter plus Tiger sharks. Had several encounters where they check you out but never had an incident that I would consider was more than curiosity. If treated with the respect they deserve they will leave you alone.

• Like 2

only loan sharks.

The other sharks are already fished out and their fins sold to Chinese.

Of course still possible that there is a problem somewhere but I never heard of one.

Seriously? If you don't know what you are talking about you don't have to respond.

To the OP, there are a lot of sharks in the Andeman side. Reef sharks, whale sharks, nurse sharks, etc.. None of them are aggressive. There has never been a reported shark attack in Thai waters. Many tour companies offer shark swimming excursions. I have done these many times. It's an amazing experience.

Thank you for the first serious post. All the previous failed attempts at humor are about as funny and overworked as canned laughter.

To the OP, there was a confirmed shark attack in the last few years. It was a commercial fisherman and the bite occurred while taking the shark on deck. There could be additional such attacks, but since no victims have been farang, the news can disappear as fast as news of an oil spill...nobody wants to hurt tourism.

• Like 1

For example, you can swim out 40 meters from the beach on Phi Phi Island at dawn and float with a snorkel. For the next two hours you will be surrounded by 20-30 black tipped reef sharks, each one 2 meters long, as they slowly come in, check you out, and then swim on.

Seriously?

No way Amigo, I have more than 2000 dives in TH and I can tell you this is impossible.

BUT there are many loan sharks and bar lady sharks here, they attack many times.

Black tip reef sharks can be seen everyday in shark bay in Koh Tao. Bull sharks used to come into Chimphon pinacle but I haven't seen them in a few years. In the Andaman I have sen Leopard sharks and Blacktips but less frequently the past few years. Whale sharks, gentle giants can be seen on both sides. Never heard of an attack.

• Like 1

Deadly box jellyfish scare me more than a hand full of shark deaths worldwide.

yes of course but I've never seen them in the middle of the ocean. is there a chance of face them in a deep place?

Black tip reef sharks can be seen everyday in shark bay in Koh Tao. Bull sharks used to come into Chimphon pinacle but I haven't seen them in a few years. In the Andaman I have sen Leopard sharks and Blacktips but less frequently the past few years. Whale sharks, gentle giants can be seen on both sides. Never heard of an attack.

I've only seen one time, 3 reef sharks near the coast of koh tao (100 meters from ao leuk beach) in a ~5-6m water I think so. so close to me. I had no fear but I left the place actually :D (I didn't recognize their type, people in the-above-the-rock said they were 1 meter long)

what I'm really care about is face these folks right in the middle of a deep water, because I use to swim more off the coast not near the beach.

i recall an event about 20 odd years ago off Pattaya. My friend and I hired a fishing boat and after some time fishing and a bottle of Mekong, I decided I would cool off and dive over the side. As i was preparing to do this, the captain of the boat rushed out and stopped me, He advised that a tourist had been taken the previous week by a 3 metre Tiger Shark. i didn't go for my swim.

My friend here in Ranong owns a dive company and advises there are plenty of sharks offshore on the outer islands of Ranong...mainly reef sharks, leopards and of course Whale Sharks, but he said while diving recently in Myanmar waters he came across Bull Sharks attacking a Bait Ball. he wanted to get this event on film and entered the water, . The Bull Sharks began to be menacing so he departed., I have seen a Shark in a Fishing net pulled up on a Boat off Ranong...probably about 3m, and I'm pretty sure it was a Bull Shark.