kaveh

KOh Tao Sharks

• There are 5 species of sharks found around Koh Tao:

• Black Tip Reef Shark
    • Bull Shark
    • Grey Reef Shark
    • Whaleshark
    • Leopard Shark

• The largest populations of sharks on Koh Tao can be found in Shark Bay, and are most easily seen by snorkeling
  • Only 4 sharks attacks have been recorded in the Gulf of Thailand in the last 100 years, and all have been on fisherman. No divers or swimmers have ever been attacked by sharks on Koh Tao.
  • Whalesharks are most commonly seen during March and October, but can be found passing by the island all year. The best dive sites to see a whaleshark around Koh Tao are:

• Chumphon Pinnacle
    • Southwest Pinnacle
    • Sail Rock
    • White Rock
    • Shark Island

Source

• Like 2

I have known tour guides that do the Samui / KP boat tours to Koh Toa snorkeling bays, daily, for over six years.... never once have I heard them say they have seen any sharks.... occasionally they see Dolphins.....thumbsup.gif

About 7 years ago a fisherman was bitten by a shark

It was caught in a net and bit the guy as he tried to remove it.

He bled to death before the boat could get back to shore.

As I recall it was classed as a work accident not a shark attack

If you ARE bitten don't worry it never happened whistling.gif

The boat was working in the gulf off Cambodia

Edited by monkey4u

For example, you can swim out 40 meters from the beach on Phi Phi Island at dawn and float with a snorkel. For the next two hours you will be surrounded by 20-30 black tipped reef sharks, each one 2 meters long, as they slowly come in, check you out, and then swim away.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

That would be really silly to assume they won't attack. They will.

• Like 1

bull sharks near koh phanguan, there is a shark reef, all the coral is bleached, and it has many bull sharks, not heard of them attacking

Bull sharks are vicious. They also have adapted well to fresh water.

only loan sharks.

The other sharks are already fished out and their fins sold to Chinese.

Of course still possible that there is a problem somewhere but I never heard of one.

Seriously? If you don't know what you are talking about you don't have to respond.

To the OP, there are a lot of sharks in the Andeman side. Reef sharks, whale sharks, nurse sharks, etc.. None of them are aggressive. There has never been a reported shark attack in Thai waters. Many tour companies offer shark swimming excursions. I have done these many times. It's an amazing experience.

Very interesting thanks for the info

For example, you can swim out 40 meters from the beach on Phi Phi Island at dawn and float with a snorkel. For the next two hours you will be surrounded by 20-30 black tipped reef sharks, each one 2 meters long, as they slowly come in, check you out, and then swim away.

No, they won't.

this is exactly what I always say. sharks are one of the best hunters in the world, why should I consider them as usual animals around me?! ok I know and I believe that the chances are so rare to face a attacker shark in a bad mood, but this doesn't makes them KIND and INTELGENT! this is like you say: Lightning has no harm for people and if you don't go somewhere of hitting, lightning is so good and kind and not aggressive :D

No, they won't.

https://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/fish/Gallery/Descript/BlacktipReefShark/BlacktipReefShark.html

No, they won't.

https://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/fish/Gallery/Descript/BlacktipReefShark/BlacktipReefShark.html

Thanks for the bio sheet. The point?

Seen a big shark while diving near Koh Phi Phi several years ago. I would say it was maybe about 8ft long. It looked quite docile though. Don't remember the name. It may have been a Sand Tiger shark. Google says it's also called a Grey Nurse shark.

Edited by lapd

I hear that thai sharks are too lazy to attack. They would rather watch some soap opera.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Thai sharks only attack at odds of about six to one.