Wat Rong Khun the 'White Temple' to be rebuilt back to its original beauty: Chalermchai

webfact

Chalermchai to rebuild Wat Rong Khun back to its original beauty in two years

5-7-2014-11-15-54-AM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- National artist and designer Chalermchai Kositpipat announced Wednesday morning that he will rebuild Wat Rong Khun or the White Temple back to its original beauty in two years after not only the Thais but the people from the whole world gave him tremendous morale support to rebuild what they said is the world's asset.

“I was shocked by the thunderous morale support they gave to me and encourage me not to give up to bring this world’s treasure back to all people in this world,” he said in reversing his earlier determination not to repair it as it was beyond repair in the remaining time of his life.

Chalermchai said beginning tomorrow part of the temple, which comprises of several buildings will be open to visitors to take pictures but with restriction to buildings which are unsafe and will be allowed to see from the outside.

He also joked that what he told of yesterday was just to weigh how much his temple is loved by the people when he said it was beyond repair and would not rebuild it but to leave it as it is as a monument.

But now he said he has changed his mind after the support not only from the people of Chiang Rai, or the Thai people across the country, but from people across the world sending him messages to fight on not only for Thais but for the world reasoning that the White Temple is a world treasure that must be retained forever.

He said his staff wept in tears for the art works that they help to create on the wall and ceilings but all collapsed to pieces on the ground from the tremors.

The art works were masterpieces that they spent 16 years to paint and were renowned to the world.

” They are the heart of the temple,” he said.

He said the Department of Public Works and Town & Country Planning has offered a warm lending hand to inspect the structures of all buildings to see which could be repaired or torn down.

He said if the department has given safety certification to which building then it will be reopen immediately.

He also said some building as seen from outside were not badly damaged but just falling roof tiles.
But from inspection inside there are serious cracks all over the wall, the beams and ceilings.

He cited example of a building which was seen from outside to have its top broken and bended and no external damages.

But there are cracks all over inside which are unsafe and entry will be prohibited until officials will certify it is safe.

He said the repair works will begin immediately on buildings while the damaged mural paintings and work of art on the walls and ceilings needed to be neatly and carefully created to their originals.

“Every painting must be strictly kept to originals whether it be colours and sizes and patterns as their originals had been taken in photos, videos from visitors around the globe. So I have to keep them to their originals even it will be a very, extremely difficult work to do that,” he promised.

The painting will take at least two years and he promised to devote his life for the work even though he is now over 60.

“My friends kept calling to say they are 70 years old and still have fire, so I’m only at sixties why not restart it,” he said.

The national artist also said the gallery building is safe and will be open to visitors in a few days. But for unsafe buildings no entry will be allowed.

But he said visitors will be allowed to take pictures from outside in restricted area to see the rumbles of the collapsed wall and roofs which might be kept as a memory of its past glory, he said.

The White Temple is 13 kilometres south of town. Consctruction of the temple began in 1997.

Unlike most century old temples, Wat Rong Khun is the “dream-come-true” work of art of a famous Thai Buddhist art painter Charlemchai Kositpipat.

The millionaire artist spent his own money to fund the construction of his vision without ever soliciting contributions from the government or anyone else.

His creative thinking and love of Art made him return to his home town and dedicate the rest of his life building the temple as an offering to Buddha and, in the future, turn it into a national art treasure.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/chalermchai-rebuild-wat-rong-khun-back-original-beauty-two-years/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-05-07

• Like 1

Perhaps, after the initial shock, he realized that so many establishments have been built around the temple and depend on tourist traffic to the temple. Yes it is a lot of work to rebuild the temple and restore it back to its original form. But then one must persevere and push on even when it is an uphill battle...

I'm sorry, maybe I'm just poor at reading, but I don't see any explanation of what happened to the temple or why it needs repairs? Is this due to the recent earthquake? Something else?

Yes. Damaged in the earthquake, sadly.

I feel bad about what happens with the White Temple considering that it is a work of art, but I do not agree that is a "World Treasure". It is more a private enterprise, and I think that to get donations or federal help for the repairs is not appropriate. What will be appropriate by the Thai Government is to create a Historical Society to control the "restoration" of historical sites and buildings in the country. It is true that there are too many, and many in private hands. Will be not an easy task, but the "modernization" it is happening and in fast pace. I saw so many already just in a couple years. Very sad.

"If you can bear to [...] watch the things you gave your life to, broken,

And stoop and build ’em up with worn-out tools..."

Wish him all the best, although he seems to already found back his courage.

Edited by ultime

I feel bad about what happens with the White Temple considering that it is a work of art, but I do not agree that is a "World Treasure". It is more a private enterprise, and I think that to get donations or federal help for the repairs is not appropriate. What will be appropriate by the Thai Government is to create a Historical Society to control the "restoration" of historical sites and buildings in the country. It is true that there are too many, and many in private hands. Will be not an easy task, but the "modernization" it is happening and in fast pace. I saw so many already just in a couple years. Very sad.

I believe this Historical Society you desire already exists:

http://www.thaiwhic.go.th/eng/

The National Museums (under the Ministry of Culture) have done a lot as well.

I am the only one who does not like this "temple" at all?

There are probably not many of us. It looks garish, overblown and monomaniacal. And when you get close up and see all those little mirrors pressed clumsily into the plaster, it's just depressing. I don't like Gaudi either.

I don't know if it serves as a functioning temple or not, but that must be at odds with it being mainly treated as a photographic backdrop.

Chalermchai obviously has an ego like an airship. "World masterpiece of kitsch" is more like it.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Perhaps, after the initial shock, he realized that so many establishments have been built around the temple and depend on tourist traffic to the temple. Yes it is a lot of work to rebuild the temple and restore it back to its original form. But then one must persevere and push on even when it is an uphill battle...

Those "establishments" are souvenir and food stands. I find they cheapen the experience of the wat but at least they are located somewhat removed from the wat site.

Good on you mate!

Where can I donate?

Can TV setup an account?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I'm almost sure he would not accept donations as he has never sought or accepted them from government or other sources (as the article states). I have been there many times and he does raise money from the sale of various items.

A truly great man and his work for me (also an artist) is purely captivating...just absolutely fantastic. An added bonus is that the Wat seems to be loved by so many people not only in Thailand but all around the world.

Edited by dotpoom
  • Like 1

Why is it we have seen no pictures of the damage or what it was like before the quake. I have never been to this Temple and I don't know what all the fuss is about, who has photos of before and after?

• Like 2

I'm extremly happy your going to do this I knew from first I had the pleasure to visit the temple you built could feel your soul was put in to it. I will donate to fund to rebuild for the Thai people and the world to see what one man can do. If you need hands to help I'm in my 60's also I will carry the brinks and mortar I don't have the talent you do but still can lift and carry.

• Like 1

Why is it we have seen no pictures of the damage or what it was like before the quake. I have never been to this Temple and I don't know what all the fuss is about, who has photos of before and after?

There were in another thread. A few roof tiles fell off and some plaster cracked.

You don't really want to show these non-structural issues in a fund-raising stories... whistling.gif

I'm sorry, maybe I'm just poor at reading, but I don't see any explanation of what happened to the temple or why it needs repairs? Is this due to the recent earthquake? Something else?

I wondered the same thing. I just visited the temple at the New Year (January). I saw some construction, but assumed they were building additions. The crowd was very large. I didn't know there was a problem. Neither did my nephew, who took me. I thought it was beautiful, but bizarre.

Edited by Acharn

"Unlike most century old temples, Wat Rong Khun is the “dream-come-true” work of art of a famous Thai Buddhist art painter Charlemchai Kositpipat." This pretty much says it all.. It's not a working temple.. It's a work of art, visualized by it's creator. Not sure about it's "world famous" part, other than Thai people around the world knowing about it.

It is a beauty but is it really a Wat, there are no monks in residence and did he get permission from the Thai Buddhist Sangka to create a new Wat. I prefer the Black House north of Chiang Rai a real artist statement and no delusions of granduer

He has had a change of heart from yesterday. He said that he would never rebuild, that it was not to be. I guess that overnight he had a change of heart when he saw the chance to make many, many $$$$$$$$ out of this reconstruction.