Made a milestone yesterday

N47HAN

i was drive back from Issan a couple of weeks ago. I can't stand waiting for red lights, so if i miss the green, i usually turn left, U turn ASAP, then left again back onto the main road. so on highway 21 near Saraburi, i got pulled over by the police just a couple of hundred meters past the lights. i guess a cop saw me and radioed his mate.

anyhow, i explained i had a long way to drive that day, all the way to Phuket, and didn't feel like waiting for the light to change. so he said, no problem and let me go, no fine or anything.

Absolute Moron

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought I'd racked up some considerable kilometers on my CBR's with my multiple trips over 5 years in north and northeast Thailand, usually doing 10-12 hours a day on the bike, but still no where near 1 mill kilometers. Been sidelined for past 6 months due to stroke, but looking to get back in the saddle in about a month, then will start again.

Edit: And the only accident or mishap I've had was coming home from 7/11 when a long bed truck suddenly realized he had to turn left, slammed on his brakes and cut his wheels. I had to take the bike into the ditch to keep from slamming into him. But, surprisingly, he said it was his fault and his insurance paid to fix the bike, and my trip to the hospital, which was brief.

Edited by Just1Voice

I smell a rat

When I read your post, I cursed because I hadn't checked his posts, but I doubt he's trolling with almost 1400 posts.

N47HN, is it seven years or maybe 8 or 9 years that distance is over? Even at 10 years, it's 100,000 a year, almost 2000 a week, 300 a day over 7 days or 400 a day over 5 days, but if 'mostly around the island' (I don't know which Island, but how many large islands does Thailand have?), that's still a lot of driving at 50 kms/hr average.

20 years driving I can see, 10 less able to see, 8/9 even less able, and 7 years, impossible for me to see.

Since 1988 I would be around 800,000 kms total. With one vehicle, a Ford Ranger base model pick up doing 400,000 kms of that without 1 repair other than regular maintenance . That's why i laugh when folks tell me how good their XXXXX model pick up is after all they have 100,000 kms with no repairs.

i was drive back from Issan a couple of weeks ago. I can't stand waiting for red lights, so if i miss the green, i usually turn left, U turn ASAP, then left again back onto the main road. so on highway 21 near Saraburi, i got pulled over by the police just a couple of hundred meters past the lights. i guess a cop saw me and radioed his mate.

anyhow, i explained i had a long way to drive that day, all the way to Phuket, and didn't feel like waiting for the light to change. so he said, no problem and let me go, no fine or anything.

Sir, I am sorry, I cannot contain myself....this is one of the most pathetic things I have ever seen and I hate you for this. You are an absolute imbecile to drive in this way and I wish you and people similar to you did not exist.

I saw a person do exactly this last Tuesday and cause a multi car crash that very possibly resulted in someones death. It was the kind of crash that if you turned up after the event and saw the layout of the cars and accident scene you would look and think "How is this physically possible? What could possibly have occured to have resulted in this layout of cars and carnage".

The driver did exactly what you are describing. I drive a lot on Thailands roads and see some unbeliveably idiotic things on the roads but this particular event was infuriating and just such a senseless waste of life for becuase of someones utter idiocy and irresponsibility.

Will it be you who kills someone next? I hope you can live with someones death on your conscience.

For arguments sake, let's say a trip to Pattaya(or back) is possible in a day in roughly 10-12 hours (600km averaging 40-60 km/h)

1000000 / 600 is 1666, 1 way 10 hour drives.

7 years counts 2555 days

2555-1666 = 889 days of not driving!

Very plausible! I'm with Nathan on this.thumbsup.gif

I hope you're not talking from personal experience on this, DAL. If you are, then you are my hero. A trooper for the cause who does his duty come hell or high water.

I don't know which Island, but how many large islands does Thailand have?

The forum you're posting in might give you a clue.

It did, and that's why I found it all the more implausible. I thought there must have been some large islands of which I wasn't aware, about the size of Australia!!

Additionally, he said 'the island', and not 'the island which is the subject of this sub forum.'

Looking at cost, and working on 10 years for ease, that's 100,000 kms per year, 2000 per week, or about 200 liters using 10 kms/liter, largely short runs if it's mainly on 'the island', and I believe the current cost of petrol is about B50 per liter (sounded too expensive to me, but a website gives it as 1.1 euros/B50), so that's B10,000 per week, or over $300.00?? Can that really be what you spend on petrol?

I understand if you're running a business spending that on petrol, but you driving 2000 kms a week still sounds like a lot.

I may seem confrontationist, and that is not the intention, but I'm sure you understand the numbers are huge.

Edited by F4UCorsair

I did only about 70000 in my car. Mostly Bkk and some trips north/pattaya/huahin/poipet.

Just scratches and mostly the wife did it :) Rarely do I come even close to an accident while when I started driving in BKK it seemed it was just a matter of time. I guess you learn after a while how to drive here.

Who the hell cares? I guess when you are not at the wheel you start rubbish topics on Thai visa. Get a life for heaven's sake.

I must say I appreciate the OP's post in this thread much more than I do your 'contribution'.

• Like 1

Havent looked at the exact purchase date of the car yet , but hey ok say its closer to 8 than 7 . Thats an average of around 300km a day .

And yes I do do that at least on an average day plus all the multiple trips to banger patters etc.

The reason I posted was because i couldnt beleive it myself but unless all the dials are out if sync it is correct.

Not sure why people would think id post a bs post about it ???

Glasswort , if you dont give a crap then why post ?

Go read another post.

I do find it funny that posters think id be inclined to post this if it wasnt the case.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Havent looked at the exact purchase date of the car yet , but hey ok say its closer to 8 than 7 . Thats an average of around 300km a day .

And yes I do do that at least on an average day plus all the multiple trips to banger patters etc.

The reason I posted was because i couldnt beleive it myself but unless all the dials are out if sync it is correct.

Go read another post.

I do find it funny that posters think id be inclined to post this if it wasnt the case.

Leave them alone. Slow news day. We've only had earthquakes in Thailand, we are close to WW3 with the Soviets Russians, this country is on the brink of civil war and I gotta buy wife some lotion. coffee1.gif

Some folks just need to complain for the sake of complaining. I'm with Steve on this one.smile.png

• Like 2

Sir, I am sorry, I cannot contain myself....this is one of the most pathetic things I have ever seen and I hate you for this. You are an absolute imbecile to drive in this way and I wish you and people similar to you did not exist.

I saw a person do exactly this last Tuesday and cause a multi car crash that very possibly resulted in someones death. It was the kind of crash that if you turned up after the event and saw the layout of the cars and accident scene you would look and think "How is this physically possible? What could possibly have occured to have resulted in this layout of cars and carnage".

The driver did exactly what you are describing. I drive a lot on Thailands roads and see some unbeliveably idiotic things on the roads but this particular event was infuriating and just such a senseless waste of life for becuase of someones utter idiocy and irresponsibility.

Will it be you who kills someone next? I hope you can live with someones death on your conscience.

i learned how to make a safe U turn many years ago, i suggest you practice somewhere quiet until you figure it out

Go read another post.

I 2nd, that. Why would someone post he drove a million kms and share his amazement whit out double checking the numbers first.

Dont worrie about the people who dont believe you. I believe you and I congratulate you again. thumbsup.gif

@Witi. I do speak out of personal experience but then again, it's my job.. ^.

"So my first car purchased here was some 7 years ago ,

The milestone I reached yesterday was a combined total driving distance of 1,000,000 km !"

Thats indeed 60 Hrs driving a week....

Maybe he did bye the car at 900.000 Kms ?

I drive a motorbike in Thailand, CRF250, driving a lot, did 21.000Km in one year.

When i was "on the road" in Europe as sales rep, i had an average of 70.000 Km/year ( also a lot )

A normal truckdiver, drives in 8 hrs some 650 Kms, high way, a day... or about 150.000 a year...

Or maybe its just 1 zero to much ? 100.000 in 7 years ?

• Like 1

Somebody please check my math:

365 days per year times 7 years = 2,555 days

1,000,000 km divided by 2,555 = 391.39 km/day

391.39 km divided by 60 km/hour average speed = 6.5 hours per day behind the wheel on average

Wow, must have cut down on a lot of other activities!

Somebody please check my math:

365 days per year times 7 years = 2,555 days

1,000,000 km divided by 2,555 = 391.39 km/day

391.39 km divided by 60 km/hour average speed = 6.5 hours per day behind the wheel on average

Wow, must have cut down on a lot of other activities!

Correct,, your math is good but your speculation/assumption basis for the calculation is wrong.

According to your MATH, I derive he can drive 680km/day leaving him A LOT of spare time inbetween.thumbsup.gif

Only 3 hours/day driving. Easysmile.png

Only on Tv would a thread like this go this way.

I posted the op as I was surprised myself and I did ask the question if anyone else had the mispleasure of having ti drive so much.

No replies to my question only speculation as to wether im full of bs or not.

Oh well to the beleivers ty to the rest oh well beleive what you may.

Oh posted from yet another day on the car . :-)

• Like 2

Only on Tv would a thread like this go this way.

I posted the op as I was surprised myself and I did ask the question if anyone else had the mispleasure of having ti drive so much.

No replies to my question only speculation as to wether im full of bs or not.

Oh well to the beleivers ty to the rest oh well beleive what you may.

Oh posted from yet another day on the car . :-)

I am sorry, N47THAN.

I feel ashamed for them.

Have a good trip and be safe.thumbsup.gif