Lat Phrao today (Spoiler: it was a nightmare)

Went to Immigration at Lat Phrao today to get an extension of stay.

Finding the place wasn't too difficult. However, tortoises climb faster than the lifts to the 5th floor. The lifts are also easily overloaded, and when that happens everybody has to leave the lift and then some people reenter. I was only able to get on the 4th lift to arrive, and then had to get off and on again at every floor. The escalators are equally slow. One's caught between Scylla and Charybdis.

The signs to immigration from the lift are poor. However, the signs from escalator on the ground floor are pretty good.

I arrived shortly before 1:30, having read that Immigration closed for lunch from 12:30 to 1:30. Bad information. They actually close for lunch from 1 p.m. to 2 p.m., though some desks remain open. (The desks for B and O visas were both closed until 2 p.m..)

I had expected to queue up to have my documents expected, then be given a queue number to submit them. What actually happened is that when the Immigration officials returned from lunch queue tickets were handed out for the queue for the initial inspection. No heed paid to how long individuals had already been waiting.

There was then a long wait until my number came up. I had taken a book to read to pass the time, but that simply wasn't possible because the numbers were announced in pretty inaudible Thai, followed by a brief flashing of a handwritten sheet of A4 with the number on it. You have to pay attention.

The wait was an uncomfortable, sweaty one. The hardness of the seats and the feebleness of the air-con reminded me of the bad old days at Suan Plu.

Eventually I was summoned. My documents seemed in order. There was just the small matter of going to an ATM, withdrawing cash and getting the passbook updated. The officer told me to go to the bank downstairs and do just that. Unfortunately, my bank didn't have a branch in the building. In fact, only two banks do: SCB and GSB. I then thought I'd try and get away with making a withdrawal at an ATM and trying to persuade the officer that the ATM receipt was good enough. Not to be: my bank's system appears to have been down at the time, so I couldn't make an ATM withdrawal.

I then decided to go to the nearest branch that would be open at the time (it was now almost 3:30). That was in Happyland, so I had a bus trip there and back and also got soaked by the rain.

I submitted photocopies of the updated bank book and they were fine. Incidentally, photocopying and photographs are both available in the Immigration area. Photocopies are 3 Baht, photos 100 Baht.

Next came a bizarre request: further photocopies of certain of my passport pages, even though I'd already submitted them (and pointed that out). Still, not a big issue.

Finally I was told to go to an adjacent room with my documents to join the queue to submit my actual application. I was initially confused has to how to actually get a ticket to join the queue. I then noticed that I already had one stapled to my documents. (The bank notes were similarly stapled, which slightly surprised me.)

The queue was very short, and I was soon at the relevant window. The lack of politeness of the officer there, however, staggered me. When I handed over the documents she didn't say anything. She then proceeded to chat to a series of agents who drifted up whilst I waited. I assumed I was done for the moment and wandered off. Some time later I was called to the window again for my photograph to be taken. After that things moved a bit more swiftly, and in 10 minutes or so I had my passport back in my hands, my stay extended for another year.

So, from start to finish, 4 hours. Not quite up to Suan Plu standards, where 5 to 6 hours was the norm for me, but still pretty bad. And, to be honest, the stress I felt was far worse than I ever felt at Suan Plu. For me there the problem was boredom (and a sore bottom), not stress.

• Like 2

That's why every time I go, I literally take the kitchen sink (and a copy of it) with me!! That's including an ATM receipt as well as a bank letter dated that day.

Ever seen a guy in a queue with a wheelbarrow? That's me!! tongue.png

• Like 2

And to top off your spoiler (although you may not have been aware), Thida was addressing the UDD faithful today on the floor just above you.

Anyway, thanks for the report - I'm heading there tomorrow for my 90-day. Think I'll try and get there early ... does it still open at 10:30?

And to top off your spoiler (although you may not have been aware), Thida was addressing the UDD faithful today on the floor just above you.

Anyway, thanks for the report - I'm heading there tomorrow for my 90-day. Think I'll try and get there early ... does it still open at 10:30?

The shopping mall opens at 10:30, so yes, Immigration opens at the same time. However, reports suggest that there are a lot of people who arrive for opening time. (Remember you're competing against hordes of Burmese, Lao and similar workers.) I decided to arrive after lunch to avoid the rush. That worked out for me (sort of). Given that 90 day reporting is simpler than the ordeal I went through, I'd recommended after lunch for 90 day reporting, that is if you don't want to report by post.

Was Thida really on the floor above (it's a conference hall)? The large number of Red-Shirt outlets on the 5th floor was sufficiently perturbing. I'm just thankful that things didn't kick off immediately with the Constitutional Court's decision today.

I made a trip to Major Hollywood yesterday. Wanted an extension for retirement. I didn't get one because I was applying too early (i am making a trip home soon so wanted to get the visa extension before I left).

Major Hollywood immigration opens at 10.30, but when I arrived at 10.10 the place was pretty full with people already. It looks like the pre-processing starts well before 10.00 am. I was no. 12 in the queue and they were processing no. 6 already. I was seen to about 40 mins later and told I was applying too early. So I then applied for a single re-entry permit. Another 30 mins wait and I got that.

So even though I did not get exactly what I wanted I was out by 12.00 pm.

Even though the place was over-run with people, everybody I approached was helpful and not impolite.

Cost of a taxi is about 120 baht from Silom Road. You can take a BRT bus to Wat Dan and get a taxi from there to save a bit of money, but make sure you cross over the road to get a taxi going back the way you came. Otherwise the taxi has to make a 3 km U turn to get back so that you can access the Bhumibol Brigde slip road.

Edited by rak sa_ngop
  • Like 1

i went to hollywood both today and last friday.

hordes of people there, but the competition for me was virtually none at C15 which is sole window/staff for change of visa type (from exempted to non IMM) & at afternoon time around 15:00 there was no wait for me to immediately get que number from the open desks at front and them immediately that number is already called to submit docs lol ;)

however friday I was just told to get more docs as well as bring the wife & I was out of there within minutes while today it required a few 'extra' copies to get everything accepted for submission and payment & then a some 10min wait to be given a receipt to collect the new extension/visa on the 21th with an extra doc from amphur (proof that we were single before we married!!!!).

so while not really polite there is some kind of VIP service for us farangs at this div1 office.

for sure nonthaburi can get nothing done within 1 hour while here coming and going & getting processed within some 2 hours ;)

but CW could do that even better couldnt they? suppose they will open shortly!

arrived early, let in the building at 9am, took the escalators, never take lift in thailand, too slow.

desks opened at 10am, wasnt at the front of the queue but spotted an extra desk with really helpful 'trainee' uni students with good english running it.

docs checked, banknotes stapled and queue ticket issued.

into other room and seen in 10 minutes.

left the building with all in order just before 11am.

result.

HI

2 - 4 hours at (any) immigration is not bad at all.

The more you prepare the faster it will go

Always take with me extra copies , photos , bills..anything the can ask you for.

Its a lost day anyway....so be happy dont worry rolleyes.gifgiggle.gif

• Like 1

The shopping mall opens at 10:30, so yes, Immigration opens at the same time. However, reports suggest that there are a lot of people who arrive for opening time. (Remember you're competing against hordes of Burmese, Lao and similar workers.) I decided to arrive after lunch to avoid the rush. That worked out for me (sort of). Given that 90 day reporting is simpler than the ordeal I went through, I'd recommended after lunch for 90 day reporting, that is if you don't want to report by post.

Was Thida really on the floor above (it's a conference hall)? The large number of Red-Shirt outlets on the 5th floor was sufficiently perturbing. I'm just thankful that things didn't kick off immediately with the Constitutional Court's decision today.

OK, thanks again for the tip OP.

(Not sure what's up there but she was telecast live speaking to thirty or forty people late afternoon at 'Imperial World Lad Phrao Chan 6').

OK, thanks again for the tip OP.

(Not sure what's up there but she was telecast live speaking to thirty or forty people late afternoon at 'Imperial World Lad Phrao Chan 6').

However, it it safe there even if the Red shirts are gathering there? Because one of my staff is going this May 23rd.

However, it it safe there even if the Red shirts are gathering there? Because one of my staff is going this May 23rd.

I don't think they will bother anybody and the 23rd is several days away.

Also there is the option of going to Major Hollywood Suksawat (reported as being better).

• Like 1

The additional copies that are always needed are to support the family business,

which is the copy center.

Gotta luv Thailand, they truly support their own, in every way they can...wai2.gif

Edited by ajarnmarc

That's why every time I go, I literally take the kitchen sink (and a copy of it) with me!! That's including an ATM receipt as well as a bank letter dated that day.

You call that a nightmare? You have posted enough to make one think you knew what could happen in any immigrations office anywhere in the land of Smiles, yet you cry like a baby about your six hour nightmare to obtain your yearly visa. Quit whining and complaining about a hard seat and all your other minor inconveniences you experienced. Immigrations was not custom made just for you,

I walked in there to get my Retirement Visa. In stood there about five minutes and headed to Wirless Road and ALS Visa Service, paid them 10,000.00 THB and the returned my passport in three days. I think they went to Chon Buri office.

Expensive, but I have a low tolerance for the stupdity of some of the people running Thailand. First thing is it is all about money for vise and multiple re-entry. Whay not bundle and allow a five year visa extension for the same money and one fifth the hassle !!

Jerry, 10 year veteran of what they call a system, only my beautiful Thai wife keeps me here and no ice or snow like where I lived in USA. The other thing is my Stepson has two more years for an Electrical Engineering Degree. Smart boy but, refuses to learn to speak English.

You call that a nightmare? You have posted enough to make one think you knew what could happen in any immigrations office anywhere in the land of Smiles, yet you cry like a baby about your six hour nightmare to obtain your yearly visa. Quit whining and complaining about a hard seat and all your other minor inconveniences you experienced. Immigrations was not custom made just for you,

I got my annual extension in just 20 minutes here in Ranong. 6 hours would indeed be a nightmare even if they provided an easy chair. What are you? A drill sergeant?

I don't expect to be treated well, I just expect to be treated with a little respect. Even being treated with straightforward humanity would have been nice.

I'm no longer young. (It was an extension of stay based upon retirement I was after.) Such an experience for me was extremely stressful and made for a grueling day.

A simple process - check a few documents, take some money, put a stamp in a passport - shouldn't take more than a few minutes, not hours.

I shouldn't be told to go an update my passbook at a bank downstairs when there is not branch of my bank downstairs, and then have to travel several kilometres along one of Bangkok's most congested roads to the nearest open branch of my bank, then back again for a totally pointless withdrawal/passbook update when I already had a letter from my bank from the day before stating my bank balance.

And the nightmare is hours longer when one adds in the travelling time to/from home.

And I don't "cry like a baby". I simply reported my experience for the benefit of others since some of the information in the public domain (e.g. lunch hours) is wrong and so that people can know what to expect.

• Like 2

I went to Major Hollywood Suksawat for a yearly ED visa extension, where I arrived at 3 pm.

The lady at the ED visa section checked and stamped my documents and passport, gave me a queue number and after that I was off to counter number A2 for another check and payment of 1,900 THB.

The officer receiving the payment gave my documents to the officer on his right, who checked my documents again and signed my visa.

Total processing time < 10 minutes.

Friendly helpful staff and officers.

(However, I did spent a total of nearly 3 hours in the taxi, from Suksawat to Bangkhae, roundtrip)

Dear OP,

I know the whole process is a pain. Well, what did you expect anyway? You are in Thailand after all.

I'm sorry to say that but you already knew the requirements, and yet decided to update your passbook after submitting your application, as if you didn't know you had to give an up-to-date passbook. I don't get it. You are really looking for troubles.

i sympathize, but your job was to come fully prepared, which includes a little research whether there's your bank where you go

Next time, go to any branch, withdraw cash, update your passbook and then, you can go to immigration.

Your experience...has been my experience...in many ways...always time consuming and frustrating...the good news is...get to do this over and over and over...

One hour and forty minutes to do a 90-day report at Lad Phrao fifth floor today ... approximately eighty minutes of which was spent in the initial queue to obtain a ticket, nineteen minutes wait for my number to be called and one minute to be processed by a friendly lady officer. The main holdup with the ticket queue seemed to be people who had not yet filled in their forms. Take a pen!

@ MedClinicConsult: There were about fifteen UDD guards at the door to the car park on the same floor (someone appearing at the AsiaTV studio there maybe?). Nobody seemed concerned about it whatsoever.

I have found that patience and the understanding that the world doesn't revolve around me has improved my mental and physical health. Having something to read or a notebook to surf the net does wonders to pass the time. I love to watch and observe the goings on which also combats boredom.

Good luck to all on your travels.

• Like 1

I'm sorry to say that but you already knew the requirements, and yet decided to update your passbook after submitting your application, as if you didn't know you had to give an up-to-date passbook. I don't get it. You are really looking for troubles.

i sympathize, but your job was to come fully prepared, which includes a little research whether there's your bank where you go

Next time, go to any branch, withdraw cash, update your passbook and then, you can go to immigration.

No. I did not decide to update my passbook after submitting my application.

I provided an up to date passbook which exactly matched the letter from the bank from the previous day.

I was then told to go to a bank, withdraw 100 Baht, update the passbook, get more photocopies and return.

The nearest location at which I could update the passbook was several kilometers away - a round trip of over an hour.

The problem was not the documentation I submitted, but the pointless requirement of an unthinking bureaucrat.

No. I did not decide to update my passbook after submitting my application.

I provided an up to date passbook which exactly matched the letter from the bank from the previous day.

\

So, do you really know the requirements? Apparently not. Your passbook was not up-to=date. Up-to-date means the day you are submitting the application, not one day before. Requirement doesn't say matching the letter from the day. It's an update, that's what they want. It's like if you showed up one day before the 30 day timeframe visa renewal to renew your stamp. They would reject your application. You could argue, but that's the rules. If you know the requirements and they don't ask you something out of what it is required, then you have no problems

It may seem abrupt, but if an immigration officer doesn't follow the policy, who else are you expecting to follow it?

You only have yourself to blame. Take the correct documents and things would be much simpler. Also, why not go to Suksawat, where it takes 5-10 mins to do the same thing. Depending on where you live it might take longer to get there, but it's worth it for the lack of queues. I did my retirement renewal and got a re-entry permit all in under 10 mins. Best immigration office I've ever been to. I've been to LP as well, but took the correct documents, so very straightforward.

Hello OP,

could I ask you what's exactly needed, since it will be my first time retirement's one year extension.

I understood the bank book update the same day, copies from the passport ? New proof for address? Or if no change is it OK?

Thanks in advance wai.gif

I went to Major Hollywood Suksawat for a yearly ED visa extension, where I arrived at 3 pm.

The lady at the ED visa section checked and stamped my documents and passport, gave me a queue number and after that I was off to counter number A2 for another check and payment of 1,900 THB.

The officer receiving the payment gave my documents to the officer on his right, who checked my documents again and signed my visa.

Total processing time < 10 minutes.

Friendly helpful staff and officers.

(However, I did spent a total of nearly 3 hours in the taxi, from Suksawat to Bangkhae, roundtrip)

Suksawat Soi 60 for me next week to process ED visa extension and 90 day report.

Travelling a different route. Bangkhae to MRT Bang Wa - Wongwian Yai and taxi to Suksawat. I would think a far quicker journey.

I think the service at Lat Prao office is better than before. I was in and out in about 2 hours, but I went at 10:30. Previously I could expect to spend 4-6 hours. The government building was nicer but very inconvenient and too many people were doing the job one person could do. Just have all your papers ready.