How are the women in Vietnam?

Is it just me or are there a load of Troll posts on Thaivisa lately?(I mean more than usual),

"I'm 19 and my bargirlfriend is pregnant"

"we've been together 3 weeks but we're so in LURVE",

etc,

all from people with low post counts,

not pointing the finger at the OP,

if you're deluded-convinced that you're 49,much younger looking and a real catch then run Forrest run!,go get em Tiger!

the Vietnamese bargirls will love you as much as your "real Thai girlfriends" and "katoeys-friends with benefits do".

while you're at it go to Cambodia and smuggle back a load of Ket,but make sure to post about it on facebook first.

Hey mate love your humour.

Sent from my SM-T315T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by cobbler

• 2 weeks later...

I recently heard a story about a farang aged in his 60's dating a vietnamese girl aged in her 20's. Her father was not so happy about it until such time as a new business had been set up for the youngster. Now all is good and he is accepted. The vietnamese are ALL about money. You will find this out on your first day when everyone is trying to shaft you the moment you step off the plane.

• Like 1

I recently heard a story about a farang aged in his 60's dating a vietnamese girl aged in her 20's. Her father was not so happy about it until such time as a new business had been set up for the youngster. Now all is good and he is accepted. The vietnamese are ALL about money. You will find this out on your first day when everyone is trying to shaft you the moment you step off the plane.

Why do people keep on spouting this utter nonsense.While Vietnam has it's share of opportunist touts at places like airports and borders,it's no worse than any other Asian country.To say that the Vietnamese are all about money is incorrect.They are certainly good business people,and they don't beat around the bush,but they are more straightforward than Thai's and certainly,when you get to know them,more friendly and helpful.They don't have the attitude of the Thai's that their country is the centre of the world-they have been occupied by other countries,and now they are more open minded and willing to accept change than other countries in the region

It's just like full metal jacket. $5

After having another look at the scene if this isn't the worst written and staged scene in the history of movie making I really don't know what is. Her accent is pathetic probably found her in a coffee shop in London. Remember this movie was shot in southern England. The dialogue is so stereotypical and inaccurate. I saw this movie when it came out and liked it but I will have to have another look after reviewing this scene lol.

Just google on youtube:

Full Metal Jacket - Hooker Scene

I thought that she was really hot when I first saw this, but after being in Asia, she seems like some sort of mental case. Any women that acted like this would scare me away. However, the part of the movie set in Marine boot camp is pretty realistic and they used a real drill instructor.

They will praise you as a God.

OP, get a large mirror , the same size as your ego ,

you think you very hamsum man, maybe you have been in LOS ,too long .

FYI , Vietnam lady not so greedy .

"I love all these Thai ladies, and have a couple girlfriends here, not including several other friends with benefits"

Congratulation! You have won the sxxpat of the year award!

Post the telephone numbers of all your Girlfriends to receive your prize. TV members will keep them happy for you when you leave.

Well Done again. clap2.gif

Edited by Display

It is illegal for unmarried mixed couples to stay in the same room and many hotels (certainly 4 and 5 star) will insist you book separate rooms.

There are reports of VN police doing this to violators they've caught:

a. fines up to hundreds of USD

b. jail time

c. beating guys into a pulp

The law in VN is comparable to Laos where fines have been in the 1000's of USD.

The Philippines, though, may be the worst of all. There are cases where PI LE have colluded with girls falsely accusing guys of rape & holding serious prison time over their heads to extort large sums of cash.

It may therefore be advisable to avoid relations with women in any of these 3 nations.

It is illegal for unmarried mixed couples to stay in the same room and many hotels (certainly 4 and 5 star) will insist you book separate rooms.

There are reports of VN police doing this to violators they've caught:

a. fines up to hundreds of USD

b. jail time

c. beating guys into a pulp

The law in VN is comparable to Laos where fines have been in the 1000's of USD.

The Philippines, though, may be the worst of all. There are cases where PI LE have colluded with girls falsely accusing guys of rape & holding serious prison time over their heads to extort large sums of cash.

It may therefore be advisable to avoid relations with women in any of these 3 nations.

Well,actually,it isn't really clear whether it is still illegal for a foreigner to cohabit with a Vietnamese citizen,if they are not married.There are reports here that whilst it used to be against the law,the situation was changed in 2000 (9th June),when the "Marriage and Family Law 200" law was enacted.Unfortunately I haven't been able to find a certified translation of this law,but it appears that this legislation recognised that co-habitation was not illegal,but did not afford it an equal legal status to marriage.Some hotels still apply the 1986 statute,possibly because of ignorance of the change in the law,but also possibly they wish to deter prostitution,as their assumption is, that if a young Vietnamese female is in the company of an older non Vietnamese,then she may be engaged in that profession.I have certainly never heard of anyone being fined or sent to jail for this,and "beating guys into a pulp" is absurd.Another urban myth.I understand that the situation in Laos may well be as the last poster says,and as for his last point about the Philippines,I can confirm he is 100% accurate.A good friend of mine was set up by a woman who he had regarded as a friend,in collusion with the local police.He was arrested,spent several weeks in jail,before getting bail,then jumped bail and left the country/He didn't leave it at that,though,he went to his Embassy and made an official complaint against the police who had set him up.He was going to return to the Philippines to take the complaint further,luckily he took our advice to never go back,as his life would have been in danger had he followed such a course of action

• Like 2

Well,actually,it isn't really clear whether it is still illegal for a foreigner to cohabit with a Vietnamese citizen,if they are not married.There are reports here that whilst it used to be against the law,the situation was changed in 2000 (9th June),when the "Marriage and Family Law 200" law was enacted.Unfortunately I haven't been able to find a certified translation of this law,but it appears that this legislation recognised that co-habitation was not illegal,but did not afford it an equal legal status to marriage.Some hotels still apply the 1986 statute,possibly because of ignorance of the change in the law,but also possibly they wish to deter prostitution,as their assumption is, that if a young Vietnamese female is in the company of an older non Vietnamese,then she may be engaged in that profession.I have certainly never heard of anyone being fined or sent to jail for this,and "beating guys into a pulp" is absurd.Another urban myth.I understand that the situation in Laos may well be as the last poster says,and as for his last point about the Philippines,I can confirm he is 100% accurate.A good friend of mine was set up by a woman who he had regarded as a friend,in collusion with the local police.He was arrested,spent several weeks in jail,before getting bail,then jumped bail and left the country/He didn't leave it at that,though,he went to his Embassy and made an official complaint against the police who had set him up.He was going to return to the Philippines to take the complaint further,luckily he took our advice to never go back,as his life would have been in danger had he followed such a course of action

You've "never heard of anyone being fined or sent to jail for this"? I have, even before i had ever read the following article, which was posted earlier in this thread:

http://www.stickmanbangkok.com/ReadersSubmissions2014/reader8709.htm

"...Every guest in a hotel room must be registered, and it is illegal for a foreigner to share accommodations with a Vietnamese national."

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/country/vietnam.html

"Most hotels everywhere in VietNam discourage foreign males from bringing Vietnamese females into their hotel rooms..."

"...if you can get a girl to take you to a hotel without registration, your safety is compromised and many males have been robbed down to their underpants after being drugged and / or robbed at knife point."

http://www.tripadvisor.com.sg/ShowTopic-g293925-i8433-k927247-Is_this_hotel_girl_friendly_and_close_to_nightlife_women-Ho_Chi_Minh_City.html

Edited by oldthaihand99

.I should have made it clearer that I have no personal knowledge of anything like this happening in Vietnam-only stories off the internet,and urban legends.I've traveled extensively in Vietnam over the last 8 years,am married to a Vietnamese lady,and I have lived in Vietnam for over 4 years.Whereas 8 years ago,it was sometimes the case that we were asked for a marriage certificate,that hasn't happened for years With regard to your links to other sites=firstly the Stickman story is just that-it's a story,it's not fact and sounds more like fiction/fantasy to me.The story is titled "Crazy B*itch" and the writer is "Asian Gigolo".Say no more. In any case the allegation was one of rape,which eventually got watered down to causing a disturbance.Nothing to do with sharing a room with a Vietnamese citizen

As far as the US government website advice goes-my information is that this piece of advice is outdated,the law having been changed in 2000.

In relation to the Tripadvisor link,firstly it was written in 2007-7 years ago,when the old law was still being enforced by some hotels-for whatever reason,either because they didn't know the law had changed,they didn't understand the law,or they didn't want to encourage prostitution,or have even the smallest chance that they would fall foul of the law.

• Like 1

.I should have made it clearer that I have no personal knowledge of anything like this happening in Vietnam-only stories off the internet,and urban legends.I've traveled extensively in Vietnam over the last 8 years,am married to a Vietnamese lady,and I have lived in Vietnam for over 4 years.Whereas 8 years ago,it was sometimes the case that we were asked for a marriage certificate,that hasn't happened for years With regard to your links to other sites=firstly the Stickman story is just that-it's a story,it's not fact and sounds more like fiction/fantasy to me.The story is titled "Crazy B*itch" and the writer is "Asian Gigolo".Say no more. In any case the allegation was one of rape,which eventually got watered down to causing a disturbance.Nothing to do with sharing a room with a Vietnamese citizen

As far as the US government website advice goes-my information is that this piece of advice is outdated,the law having been changed in 2000.

In relation to the Tripadvisor link,firstly it was written in 2007-7 years ago,when the old law was still being enforced by some hotels-for whatever reason,either because they didn't know the law had changed,they didn't understand the law,or they didn't want to encourage prostitution,or have even the smallest chance that they would fall foul of the law.

"Nothing to do with sharing a room with a Vietnamese citizen"?

Actually the account states:

"I sign and pay a 2 million fine. I'm a free man. =) One stipulation though was that I am not to have any ladies in my home anymore."

Aside from your alleged "information", which i have seen no independent support for apart from your solitary opinion, dozens of hours of research on this topic has supplied me with numerous & unanimous reports that your info is wrong.

Besides that your initial comment indicated you weren't sure about the supposed info yourself when you said:

It "isn't really clear whether it is still illegal for a foreigner to cohabit with a Vietnamese citizen".

In addition to the US gov, here is what Canada & the UK say:

"Foreign visitors to Vietnam are generally not permitted to invite Vietnamese nationals

into their hotel rooms."

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/vietnam/local-laws-and-customs

"Visitors are not allowed to invite Vietnamese nationals of the opposite sex into their hotel

rooms to stay overnight. Visitors are allowed to stay with a Vietnamese family, providing they have obtained permission from local authorities."

http://travel.gc.ca/destinations/vietnam

Edited by oldthaihand99

I'd consider it dangerous & foolish to test the authorities in Vietnam in light of the reports i've seen:

"Then consider that prostitution is highly illegal in Vietnam. While men engaging a prostitute rarely get deported, some do. I am told that a bribe of anywhere from $100 to $400 will prompt the Police to let you go after they arrest you. I have heard from a few foreigners that some police who are not corrupt and do not seek a bribe, will sometimes place a man before the courts or in most cases, viciously beat them. A French national I know who lives in Vietnam tells me he had been caught about a dozen times. He said the cheapest bribe was $200, but had been beaten three times, with a few nights in hospital required after one beating. Then consider what you are doing to the girls. I read in the papers there late last year about a Madam that was sentenced to 7 years prison for running an agency in Hanoi. The working girls received penalties of fines of $100 as the lowest with some receiving short prison sentences.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090304021554AAGTAK0

"The law in Vietnam is that non-Vietnamese man and Vietnamese woman can not share the same room unless married or hold a certificate of intention to marry.. While it is the law, liberalization is taking place in Vietnam.

"Hotel raids by police do still occur. Many of the cheaper hotels pay off the police not to
attend.

"Prostitution remains seriously illegal in Vietnam and some foreigners do from time to time get caught and face beatings by the police and/or large fines or bribes."

---

"The staff there later siad that an American guest had snuck a girl into his room. He was arrested and had to pay $400 bribe to get out of jail. The girl also had to pay a fine (bribe) which was her entire cash she had on her. The hotel also had to pay a fine (bribe) for allowing the girl in there."

---

"One which was raided a couple years ago in HCMC resulted in the Madam (brothel/hotel owner) receiving 3 years jail. The men present at the time all went to court with the lowest fine being ordered to be paid of $250 USD."

Edited by oldthaihand99

I've seen no evidence of any law change. Quite the contrary from all of the many sources i've read.

What may be changing is more liberalization in attitudes & enforcement by hotels.

Nevertheles the evidence i've seen is that many if not the vast majority of hotels are still enforcing the rule. This is evident by recent trip reports i've seen, comments from people who live or work in the country, and a number of hotel websites that plainly state you cannot bring a Vietnamese national to your room. I was also in Hanoi this year with the management & staff of my hotel confirming this.

Even if a law change had occured, there is still the issue of LE actions continuing, as in

fines (bribes), jail & beatings resulting. Why take the risk & end up in the hospital or worse?

Edited by oldthaihand99

.I should have made it clearer that I have no personal knowledge of anything like this happening in Vietnam-only stories off the internet,and urban legends.I've traveled extensively in Vietnam over the last 8 years,am married to a Vietnamese lady,and I have lived in Vietnam for over 4 years.Whereas 8 years ago,it was sometimes the case that we were asked for a marriage certificate,that hasn't happened for years With regard to your links to other sites=firstly the Stickman story is just that-it's a story,it's not fact and sounds more like fiction/fantasy to me.

So your alleged "personal knowledge" is that hotels have asked for a marriage certificate, but not in recent years. From my perspective [& every other reader here] this is just another "story" amongst many on the internet. All the other forum "stories" i've seen, as well as hotel websites & government agencies, etc, commenting on the subject, whether from 2007 or 2014, are in agreement that the rule was still being generally enforced. In a court of law the evidence would weigh heavily against concluding, based on your solitary story, that such a law is no longer being enforced or applied.

As to a couple not being asked for a marriage certificate, there could be various reasons for that:

1. the hotels visited were those that have paid off LE, so they have no need to concern themselves with seeing a marriage certificate.

2. the hotels may have thought neither of the 2 were Vietnamese nationals.

3. it may have been inferred by hotel staff that the couple were married, by [a] a ring or two on the fingers, their age similarity, rather than a 60 year old with a 20 year old [who would be suspected of being a hooker], c] passports indicated they'd been to the same places at the exact same dates, d] the lady dressed like a wife, not a prostitute, e] the couple behaved like a married couple.

4. hotels like money & are willing to risk it with the law

5. it has been stated on forums discussing this issue that hotels are more likely to allow cohabitation if the foreigner & a Vietnamese lady check in at the same time.

6. it has also been said that hotels are more likely to allow a guy to bring a lady to his hotel room in the day time. Apparently the reasoning behind this is that LE raids tend to occur at night.

7. Four & five star hotels tend to enforce the rule whereas 3 stars & less do so less often.

So, bottom line, i would not take your "story" as evidence the law is no longer in effect or being enforced, even if that story was my own personal experience. It doesn't prove anything.

Edited by oldthaihand99

I will reply one more time,as I don't normally respond to pedants,but as I said,I've personally traveled around Vietnam for 8 years with my Vietnamese girlfriend(now wife),and we have lived here for over 4 years.On many occasions we have stayed in hotels in Vietnam and not once have we been asked for a marriage certificate.And what I meant by the phrase "I have no personal knowledge of anything like this happening in Vietnam" was that I have never MET anyone who has been to Vietnam, who has been threatened by the police,had money extorted from them,or been beaten to a pulp.Nor have I ever personally experienced it .Nor have any of my friends who live here I do personally know people who have not been permitted to take a Vietnamese lady back to their hotel room,or,if they were allowed to,had to pay for a second room,so that on paper at least,the hotel was in the clear.However,on all those occasions the lady in question was a bar girl,and this was mostly several years ago.I'm quite sure it still happens,but,as I have said repeatedly,it's not against the law for a foreigner to cohabit with a Vietnamese national.Certainly where I live,there are several foreigners living with Vietnamese ladies,as long as they register with the local police,have all their documents in order,a correct visa,work permit(if required),and report to the police at the requred intervals,then the fact that they are not married is irrelevant.I have friends living in Phu Quoc,Saigon,and Vung Tau,who all cohabit with Vietnamese ladies,and none of them have had the slightest problem with the authorities,as long as their Immigration and work status is correct.Perhaps "oldthaihand99" can explain on what grounds he knows so much about Vietnam,do you live here,or travel here extensively?

• Like 2

I will reply one more time,as I don't normally respond to pedants,but as I said,I've personally traveled around Vietnam for 8 years with my Vietnamese girlfriend(now wife),and we have lived here for over 4 years.On many occasions we have stayed in hotels in Vietnam and not once have we been asked for a marriage certificate.And what I meant by the phrase "I have no personal knowledge of anything like this happening in Vietnam" was that I have never MET anyone who has been to Vietnam, who has been threatened by the police,had money extorted from them,or been beaten to a pulp.Nor have I ever personally experienced it .Nor have any of my friends who live here I do personally know people who have not been permitted to take a Vietnamese lady back to their hotel room,or,if they were allowed to,had to pay for a second room,so that on paper at least,the hotel was in the clear.However,on all those occasions the lady in question was a bar girl,and this was mostly several years ago.I'm quite sure it still happens,but,as I have said repeatedly,it's not against the law for a foreigner to cohabit with a Vietnamese national.Certainly where I live,there are several foreigners living with Vietnamese ladies,as long as they register with the local police,have all their documents in order,a correct visa,work permit(if required),and report to the police at the requred intervals,then the fact that they are not married is irrelevant.I have friends living in Phu Quoc,Saigon,and Vung Tau,who all cohabit with Vietnamese ladies,and none of them have had the slightest problem with the authorities,as long as their Immigration and work status is correct.Perhaps "oldthaihand99" can explain on what grounds he knows so much about Vietnam,do you live here,or travel here extensively?

Now i'm confused as earlier you said:

"Whereas 8 years ago,it was sometimes the case that we were asked for a marriage certificate,that hasn't happened for years"

But in the above post you claim:

"I've personally traveled around Vietnam for 8 years with my Vietnamese girlfriend(now wife),and we have lived here for over 4 years.On many occasions we have stayed in hotels in Vietnam and not once have we been asked for a marriage certificate"

So have you been asked for a marriage certificate? Or not?

It seems in 2014 the rule is still being enforced by some - many or most - hotels in Vietnam.

I've recently seen a number of Vietnam hotel websites that clearly state the rule.

Apparently 4 & 5 star hotels, maybe even 3 stars, generally enforce it.

BTW as regards the law you refer to, i'd like to see an online version in English.

Are you a lawyer able to interpret it? Can you read it fluently in Vietnamese? Have you ever read the actual law in any language? If so, from what source?

I.And what I meant by the phrase "I have no personal knowledge of anything like this happening in Vietnam" was that I have never MET anyone who has been to Vietnam, who has been threatened by the police,had money extorted from them,or been beaten to a pulp.Nor have I ever personally experienced it .Nor have any of my friends who live here

That's not surprising, re your small circle, as beatings would be a rare event relative to the number of foreigners cohabiting with a VN national.

"...the police...are known to steal from people (both locals and tourists) and ask for a bribe to get the items back."

http://wikitravel.org/en/Hanoi

what I meant by the phrase "I have no personal knowledge of anything like this happening in Vietnam" was that I have never MET anyone who has been to Vietnam, who has been threatened by the police,had money extorted from them,or been beaten to a pulp.Nor have I ever personally experienced it .Nor have any of my friends who live here

If i relied only on such "personal knowledge" i would be in the dark about the endemic police corruption in Vietnam. OTOH if i read the news & researched the internet:

"Vietnamese fight back against endemic police corruption"

http://blog.vietnam-aujourdhui.info/post/2009/03/28/Vietnamese-fight-back-against-endemic-police-corruption

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/vietnam/corruption.htm

http://www.voanews.com/content/report-corruption-growing-in-vietnam/1699090.html

http://www.voanews.com/content/vietnamese-struggle-to-fight-corruption-123489219/167575.html

http://www.business-anti-corruption.com/country-profiles/east-asia-the-pacific/vietnam/corruption-levels/police/

With reference to the last poster,I wasn't going to bother to reply,because,as I said previously,I don't normally respond to pedants,or for that matter people who can't seem to understand simple English.The thread,as started by the OP,is about Vietnamese women,so it appears to have gone a bit off topic.However,I think I can claim to know a bit more about Vietnam than some others who have never been here,,as I actually do live in Vietnam,and have done so for more than 4 years.Most of the links supplied by the last poster are either out of date,or simply rumour or anecdotal,and not hard facts.The fact is that it is NOT illegal for a foreigner to co-habit with a Vietnamese citizen.There is NO legislation to make such behaviour illegal.I have already supplied the exact name of the relevant legislation,a simple Google search will reveal the Vietnamese version,and several brief translations of certain relevant parts into English.However,as I said before,I have not been able to find an online certified complete translation of this legislation.If it were illegal to cohabit,then there would,of course,be legislation which would clearly state this to be so.There isn't any.The only things that are illegal are both engaging in,and facilitating prostitution,(i.e providing a hotel room)and failing to register with the police when staying at an address other than your home.When I first traveled to Vietnam 8 years ago,with my then Vietnamese girlfriend,we were never asked for a marriage certificate,but apparently,(after having spoken to my wife about what was said when we checked into hotels),they only asked her if we were married-not to actually produce a certificate.At that time I spoke no Vietnamese,so had no idea what they were talking about.I can only suppose that after speaking to my wife,and satisfying themselves that she was not a bar girl,they were Ok to let us stay in the hotel,even though we were not married-certainly we were never refused a room.In the 4 years we have lived here they have never even asked if we were married when checking in to a hotel.I have no doubt that in certain areas of Vietnam that police corruption exists,but,apart from the "coffee money" (similar to Thai "tea money") asked for when needing an official document immediately,I've not personally experienced any such demands,although we run a business which needs licences and permits,and there aren't many days when we don't interact in some way with the local government or police.I also drive a motorbike, and although every day we drive past the police checkpoint at least four times,I've never been stopped or asked for any money.Nor when passing through the Vietnamese/Cambodian border,which I do frequently.The current government has introduced an anti-corruption unit,and promised to crack down severely on corruption.Recently several people have been sentenced to death for high level corruption,others have received lengthy prison sentences.Obviously it is going to be difficult to eradicate corruption,which has been endemic for so long,but the government appears to be sincere in it's efforts.I read the online English version daily Vietnamese newspapers on most days,and also talk to local Vietnamese people about such issues.Whereas a few years ago,the Vietnamese were reluctant to be critical of the "system" that reluctance has to a certain extent diminished,and although Vietnam is a Socialist country,with a centralised economy,there have been big changes in the way the country is run,and from what I can see,most of those changes have been for the better.It's certainly much easier to live and work in Vietnam than it is in Thailand,(or for that matter the UK)It can be an arduous task to obtain whatever paperwork you need (although not in all cases) but once you have the required piece of paper,then it's quite straightforward.I'm not a lawyer,although I'm perfectly capable of reading legislation and understanding it,and my knowledge of the Vietnamese language is very limited-it's a very difficult language to speak,although slightly easier to read/write.I would be interested to know exactly how many times the last poster has been to Vietnam,and how long he has stayed here,but I'm not going to engage in a keyboard battle,if any other poster has any sensible questions about living in Vietnam,or to get back to the OP's question,about the ladies here,then I will do my best to reply

• Like 1

Whether or not the law re sharing a room with a VN citizen changed in 2000-2001 is rather irrelevant relative to whether in VN they believe and/or act as if it is against the law & whether it is being enforced by hotels and police etc.

The fact is that since 2001, right up to the present day, it has been widely enforced. There are reports of police punishing foreigners for violating it, as i have already detailed earlier in this thread.

So if the OP wants to go to VN & risk fines, jail & being beaten up by corrupt LE for sexual relations with a VN female, then he is free to do so. Likewise for Laos & the PI. Or he can stay in the relative safety & bliss of LOS, worry free. Best of luck to him, regardless of his decision.

BTW, this is one of the hotels i referred to earlier that is advertising the law still exists in 2014:

"Under Vietnamese law, a guest who is not a Vietnamese citizen cannot share a room with a Vietnamese citizen without proof of marriage to each other. Otherwise, a second room must be booked."

http://ducvuonghotelhochiminhcity.com/index2.html?nav=did10

"My wife is Vietnamese and we still have to produce a marriage certificate in order to obtain
a room for both of us."

http://www.tripadvisor.com.sg/ShowTopic-g293925-i8433-k927247-Is_this_hotel_girl_friendly_and_close_to_nightlife_women-Ho_Chi_Minh_City.html

"Visitors are not permitted to invite Vietnamese nationals of the opposite sex to their hotel
rooms and police may raid hotels without notice or consent."

http://www.1uptravel.com/travelwarnings/vietnam.html

Edited by oldthaihand99

Right,it's a simple question.Have you ever been to Vietnam,if so,how many times,where and for how long?Not too difficult to answer,so perhaps instead of posting random,inaccurate and out of date information,you can answer these very simple questions.

BTW the last two links you have posted are from 2007 and 2001-both are well out of date and completely irrelevant

Edited by lekatai
  • Like 1

BTW the last two links you have posted are from 2007 and 2001-both are well out of date and completely irrelevant

The relevant point is that even after the imagined law change of 2000-2001 - according to you, anyway - there was & is still the belief in & outside of Vietnam that the law was in effect & reports of the same.

Moreover there is the point re your references to 8 years ago [i.e. 2006, which you found

relevant enough to repeat several times] that you also experienced requests for a marriage

document. That is, before you changed your "story" about that. Thus the tripadvisor quote

i posted gives a different story from your revised alleged experience of that time.

Furthermore, the 2001 quote speaks of police hotel raids in the same context as foreigners

illegal hotel visits with VN females. I found that worthy of note in light of the reports

of VN LE beatings of foreigners previously posted herein.

From what i've seen, of all those who have expressed an opinion on the subject of the legal question of a foreigner sharing a room in VN with a VN national, you alone claim it is legal. From my research everyone - hotel websites, travel websites, visitor reports, accounts of people living in VN & government travel advisory sites - has unanamously disagreed with you.

Edited by oldthaihand99

This forum report was posted 11-09-2013:

"This question keeps popping up in various forms. Everytime a forum member tells them that no, its against the law to bring a vn citizen back to your room they ask if I can pay a little more."

"...when every time its been asked they are told NO is beyond me. Perhaps they think they are above the law? Their western charms can help win over the reception / security guards?"

Is that "up to date" enough for you?

Here's another forum report from 2013:

"Thanks, any restrictions for bringing girls to hotels at Hanoi?

I had problems at Mekong area so thinking to try the north."

"Generally, yes, but are exceptions."

This one is from November 2012:

"The police told my fiancee's father that I am not allowed to stay at his house overnight
because I am not yet married to his daughter."

This from 2006:

"It is actually government policy that a foreigner and a local cannot stay in the same room
unless they are married and supply a marriage certificate on booking in. This is enforced
strictly on the larger 4/5 star hotels and government owned hotels, but you can get away with it on the smaller, privately owned hotels."

"I found this out when I had the Legend Suite booked at the Legend Hotel and I turned up with my girlfriend who is a local and they wouldn't allow us to stay together. This was the same at the Sheraton, Park Hyatt, Sofitel, Rex, Rennaissance, Novotel, Omni Marco Polo, Caravelle, Duxton etc etc

"As tacabanda says, the way around this is to get a second room in her name."

Finally i'll conclude with these 2 quotes:

"This is a commie country where money talks mate. You can have your pie and eat it too if you have enough dollars."

"A simple read of the VN Forum would have told you (as Mik did) that Vietnam is nothing like the PI or Thailand or China, Macau, Singapore, etc. It's in its own league. Think N. Korea, but better."

A search engine search should help you find which forums some if not all of the above quotes came from.

Edited by oldthaihand99