Teaching at a country uni .... how hard will it be?

I had an 'informal' interview with the head of the English department at a University located in rural Thailand. The boss and his offsider were friendly and I think that I made a good impression.

The job will entail teaching 3 subjects (45 hours over 15 weeks per subject):

- the first they called it a 'core teaching' subject (i.e. Public speaking)

- 'general education' subject (i.e. Listening and speaking for communication)

- 'main subject' (i.e. Report writing)

One of the above subjects will be taught by multiple teachers and we will have to partake in team work to prepare the 45 hours

The big question is... will I be able to pull this off with my limited teaching experience???

I was told the students will all be shy and not very proficient in English. Thus, I presume that the students may not notice my lack of teaching experience.

Its more the bosses that will be harder to fool. After a month of preparation I will have all my work reviewed for the 3 subjects and this is what Im concerned about.

I have an old friend in town who is an experienced uni teacher and he said he would help. In addition to this I presume that I will be able to ask for a format or example from last years preparation?

This uni is not exactly Harvard grad school standard and thus I assume if I apply myself and get extra help I should be able to succeed.

What are your thoughts?

many thanks

With all those short skirts and sweet smiles walking around I imagine it will be pretty hard fairly quickly

thai-school-girl-uniform3.jpg

On a serious note, as the post above says, plan your lessons thoroughly, take it slowly and try not to panic, especially when you get a room of students looking back at you like you've just landed from Mars or when you give the class some work and they finish it after 10 minutes - what to do with the other 45 minutes??? AHHHH! Infact by that time most of the class will already be playing Candy Crush, taking their 112th selfie of the morning or messaging the person sat next to them via Line.

Good luck!

I just got a job as an airplane pilot for a rural airline. I only have 20 hours experience, I will have a friend next to me that can help. All of the passengers are relatively new to flying so I am not sure they will notice.

Would you like to come with us?

No expects you to be the greatest teacher in the world, but unless you actually have some skills, knowledge or ability with teaching, I suggest that you start out with an easier situation. You should probably have lessons and a full curriculum already in place and just begin by supplementing it.

Start lesson planning before he even meets the students or knows what the curriculum fully is, that is great advice. No sense planning lessons until you actually know what levels the students are.

• Like 1

I've done it. No matter where in Thailand you are they will be the nicest people you have ever met in your life. Just relax and enjoy. The teaching/learning is secondary to the social experience for everyone involved.

This is not a game. This is a responsible position.

If you can't handle it responsibly, then leave well alone.

This is the kids final education before they go out into the real world.

If you are confident you can do a good job, then great.

Give it all you've got.

If you think this is just a game to give you beer money and an opening chance with a Uni girl stay well away.

Your colleague teachers are professionals, and being Thai they will smile and be polite.

But if you have no experience it be will become apparent pretty quickly.

Students don't stay shy for long. Once they get to know and trust you (if you're worthy of trust) then they will be as active as any kids.

Planning is a serious phase, and you need to do this professionally with your colleague teachers.

You use the word 'succeed'. If you feel you can do a good job and will succeed in teaching them - then good luck. Have fun.

If you are using the word to mean you will 'succeed' in fooling the bosses as you put it, then go find a bar job teaching english to the girls.

• Like 2

I can assure you that teaching at an upcountry Rajabhat is all about greng jai and very little about pedagogy. Anybody that writes otherwise has never done it.

Some farang understand greng jai naturally, some learn it from the Thais around them and some never grok it.

Edited by ricklev
  • Like 1

You can do it. Until you have the confidence, fake it a little and wear nice clothes.

If you look like a teacher, you are a teacher to Thai students and co-workers.

Keep your lesson plans very basic and simple. Try to get the students to speak in full sentences as opposed to one word answers.

Leave the grammar up to your Thai co teachers, they are much better at explaining it to the students. Your job is for the students to listen to Native English and try to pronounce things like you do.

Whenever I get frustrated, and you will, I remember that my job is just talking to kids. You can talk to kids.

P.S. I hate all the a-holes who think all teachers are here for girls.

...sounds like a Uni job I had in Yasothon.....it was a nightmare....the students didn't know a lick of english....and they didn't understand a word I said. I worked for 6 weeks and finally stopped teaching until they paid me.....for the whole six weeks they paid me 0+0 = _____

It will be as easy as pie IF you can speak Thai.If you don't how the bloody hell are you going to explain anything to the students if they can't understand you ????

By showing them...

Encourage them to undertake an action that will allow them to remember the word/phrase.

It's called teaching, old boy smile.png

Translating will not help the students, this is why Thai English 'teachers' fall at the first hurdle, as they don't understand the words themselves most of the time.

Edited by chonabot
  • Like 2

One of the above subjects will be taught by multiple teachers and we will have to partake in team work to prepare the 45 hours

The big question is... will I be able to pull this off with my limited teaching experience???

Not if the other teachers are as green as you.

- 'main subject' (i.e. Report writing)

Its more the bosses that will be harder to fool.

I was told the students will all be shy and not very proficient in English

After quickly reading your post, i can see you do not have the grammatical skills needed for a writing course.

I think you already know you are not qualified for the position. Do the kids a favour and turn the job down.

Please remember that posting about member's grammar is off-topic unless they are specifically asking for advice on the subject.

The OP has asked for advice about his ability to teach in this situation, so the above post will be allowed to remain, but let's stick to the topic.

Thanks.

It will be as easy as pie IF you can speak Thai.If you don't how the bloody hell are you going to explain anything to the students if they can't understand you ????

By showing them...

Encourage them to undertake an action that will allow them to remember the word/phrase.

It's called teaching, old boy smile.png

Translating will not help the students, this is why Thai English 'teachers' fall at the first hurdle, as they don't understand the words themselves most of the time.

A real good one, mate. Also encourage them to watch their favorite movies only in English, even when they have to watch it 10 times to get the plot.

A real "teacher" will have to use what's available for him/her.A simultaneously translation of a sentence doesn't freaking work.

If a Thai teacher can't speak English, he/she had already failed. How could I teach you how to speak Germish,, if I don't know how to speak it?

Edited by lostinisaan
  • Like 2

I have an old friend in town who is an experienced uni teacher and he said he would help. In addition to this I presume that I will be able to ask for a format or example from last years preparation?

You've answered your question with a question.-wai2.gif

A Rajabhat is a "lower" university. many rural towns/cities have one, and there are also some in BKK. To cut a long story...they were originally a cross between a technical college and a Teacher Training College. To be fair, some of them have good records in certain subjects (like Hotel management), although finding bright kids is, well...

As somebody who has taught in the nation's 'leading' university AND in Rajabhats, both leave much to be desired.

I went on an informal visit to a rajabhat about four years ago. The (Thai) English teachers couldn't really speak English, and the kids were laughing at the teachers and yapping on their (the kids') mobile phones, when they were not smoking outside.

You will go slowly mad. But, hey, we have all been there. You may well get a lot of useful experience about what to avoid in future. Try and stick it for six weeks or a term.

Many Rajabhats in deepest buffalo-land will give anything to get a white face who/which has an HND and a 4-week CELTA. As someone said, you are the dummy teacher. Wear a nice tie and take some valium with you.

Thailand is about fun and doing as little as possible for your degree. Learning is something that happens on Alpha Centauri. I gave myself ulcers because I would not drop my strict standards. Then, I admitted defeat. It beat me, fair and square, like Mike Tyson would. The whole thing is corrupt, full of dummies etc etc. In some Rajabhats, you can buy the Exam FROM the teacher!!! Before the exam!!! Thailand will take about 50 years to catch up, but it probably never will.

Kids in China, Korea and Japan commit suicide. Kids in Thailand just buy a new Gucci handbag.

Eddy

• Like 2

I teach at a large prominent university right in the pathum wan area and I've found that once you got your rhythm down it's actually quite easy.

I am lucky in that dean of my faculty is a big proponent of foreign native speakers and does whatever she can to make you a success.

Initially I had to prepare my lesson plans and submit them to her one week in advance - with whatever materials I would use in class as well.

She would then set a short appointment with me a few days later to discuss it and give me what she thought might be a good change.

After about 4 weeks, there was little that ever changed and I can say largely her changes were spot-on and not manifested in "I know more than you since I'm the dean".

Her suggestions were really from a "teaching to a younger Thai student audience" perspective; a perspective that I know little about compared to her.

My suggestion to anyone new is to get someone who you can rely upon - flow faculty or otherwise, who can really guide you.

I'm starting my second year now and I'm feeling pretty good about what I'm doing.. Yes - still got lots to learn about how to be better, but I'm not really afraid of anything, feeling at risk or otherwise.

Best of luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I teach part time at a rural university here and I found that as long as you are well prepared for each class and are firm in terms of what is acceptable behaviour in your classroom you'll be fine.

In terms of discipline the students behaviour is more akin to that of high school students in most places and you need to act accordingly.

In terms of teaching methodology what the kids really need is to practice spoken English, you should organize your lessons so all the students speak at least some English during every class. I use role plays based on real world situations, asking for and giving directions, ordering a meal at McDonalds, things like that.

Provide lots of constructive criticism and positive feedback. If the students get the impression you are trying your best to teach them they will respond positively.

Most of all don't lose your sense of humour.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Lots of people teach English in coutries where they don't speak the Language (most of the teachers here in China for a start).You have to develop their language skills and that is actually easier when they know you can't commmunicate with them in their mother tongue.