Illegal for 'farang' to wear that lapel pin!

simon43

A pin of Royal designation or affiliation is treated the same way as a medal. Only those who have been officially given them are allowed to wear them. As Simon earned his pin, no one can force him not to wear it if he observes the protocol for wearing it. That doesn't mean that some ignorant buffoon won't try or make a fuss. However, he was legally allowed to wear it.

• Like 1

I steer well away from anything that may be construed as a farang displaying royal insignia. A road strewn with many a prison sentence.

Surely not if you were officially awarded it? I know other foreigners who were also awarded this pin.

I have two certificates awarded to me that are endorsed by the Queen. Is it now illegal for me to display them?

• 3 weeks later...

I just noticed that the good General is wearing the same lapel badge as one of my awards (it's the rectangular black badge above his shirt pocket).

After reading about the foreigner arrested for sporting a 'peace please' shirt, I wonder how my wearing of that pin will be received? Perhaps I might get a few salutes?? smile.png

post-174-0-57071800-1401416588_thumb.jpg

Actually, if there is a badge expert on the forum, I would like to learn more about this badge, if it has an official name etc.

Edited by simon43

I steer well away from anything that may be construed as a farang displaying royal insignia. A road strewn with many a prison sentence.

Surely not if you were officially awarded it? I know other foreigners who were also awarded this pin.

how would others know you were officially awarded it , Was a memo sent to all officials in Thailand notifying them of this ?

Is that kind of notification actually required?

how would others know you were officially awarded it , Was a memo sent to all officials in Thailand notifying them of this ?

Is that kind of notification actually required?

It probably was published in the Royal Gazzette.

if you were awarded it with a citation/certificate etc then simply photocopy the paperwork and carry a copy when you wear the pin, then if anyone tries to harrass you just flash the paperwork at them so they will realize you are entitled to wear it. Either that or tell them to go **** themsleves.

• Like 1

I just noticed that the good General is wearing the same lapel badge as one of my awards (it's the rectangular black badge above his shirt)

...I would like to learn more about this badge, if it has an official name etc.

It's the " Gadum Patiwad " ... you got it awarded, so, you should tell us about it...

It's the " Gadum Patiwad "

I am impressed with your knowledge of medals! Do you know more about this medal/history of it etc?

I was presented with this pin (and certificate in Thai) by the Chief of the Tourist Police in Phuket at a ceremony about 6 years ago. The award was not for any single event, but as thanks for my 'above the call of duty' volunteer work for the TP, including some IT/radio-comms work that I did.

• Like 1

Ive had a similar situation when wearing an "army only" shirt I was given by army friends. I wear it deliberately more often as a result. Immigration have too much power and not worth getting in conflict with over.

Edited by OxfordWill

นักปฏิวัติ (Thai)

Pronunciation

IPA: /náɡ.patiwad/

Noun

นักปฏิวัติ (nákpatiwad)

revolutionist

is what the ddictioniary gives for the closest I can find. Is that you simon.

if it is esential to remove this thai text then do but it is esential to trying to understand what this award is,.