AOT to beef up security at all Thai airports

AOT to beef up security at all airports

BANGKOK, 9 May 2014 (NNT) - The Airport of Thailand Public Company, or AOT, has stepped up security measures at all of its airports following the recent bombing in Hat Yai District, Songkhla and a quake in Chiang Rai, CEO of the state enterprise Mekin Petplai said.

He said AOT officials and related employees are now observing the Level 3 security measure which requires each airport to coordinate with local intelligence agencies for risks assessment.

Mr. Mekin said Phuket and Hat Yai airports have beefed up security by deploying more guards and Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) units to patrol in and around the airports.

He said the officials would be stricter in vehicle search for suspicious objects that can be possibly used for the purposes of sabotage.

The AOT chief said that he and other executive staff members have visited the quake site in the North, and met with related officials to discuss the situation.

He stated Chiang Rai airport only suffered minor damages from the quake, and no injuries were reported. The airport is currently operational as usual.

He mentioned that the quake and aftershocks have slightly damaged the building of the Aeronautical Radio of Thailand, and would not affect its operation.

Mr. Mekin however said northern airports are prohibiting the use of passenger bridge to load and unload travelers, for the sake of passengers’ safety and to prevent possible damage to planes. Officials have also been instructed to be prepared for evacuation at all times.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-05-09 footer_n.gif

My question is: How do they know that someone smuggled the earthquake and the aftershocks at Chiang Rai through the airport? They could have just as easily been driven up in a couple of pickups. And how was the earthquake detonated?

• Like 2

Now this takes the cake...just when you thought you've read it all....Earthquake in Chiang Rai = security breach!?...I'm scratching my head....I only hope this is simply something thats lost in translation but that may be too good to be true

• Like 1

Well, I think the airport passenger bridge thing applies just to the northern airports and wiil eventually be lifted once there's no longer any fear of aftershocks.

But with respect to actual "security" enhancements at all the airports.....

THANK-YOU Islam! As always, better living through fear and intimidation...

• Like 1

My question is: How do they know that someone smuggled the earthquake and the aftershocks at Chiang Rai through the airport? They could have just as easily been driven up in a couple of pickups. And how was the earthquake detonated?

Perhaps they used a 'trembler-switch' ? rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

the idiots are in control again ...beef up security because of an earthquake ...where do these people get these idiotic ideas?blink.png

They are born with them and nurture them for life.

AOT at Chiang Rai airport,

"Halt, who goes there?

6.0 earthquake. Just looking around.

Do you have any contraband?

Just the earth.

Move along please.

Oh, I am just trembling to do just that."

Thais are "beefing" up again. Thais should use the word "pork" up. Thais eat considerably more pork that beef. Therefore, in Thailand a proposed upgrade to airport security should be referred to as Thais plan to "pork" up airport security.