My Electric Jig Saw Just Died

chiangrai

Hi,

I'm living way up in the mountains and my electric jigsaw just died.There was no smell,it wasn't hot,it just died after 3 minutes use.I brought it to the local Thai guy but he could only check the plug and advise me to go to the nearest repair shop which is 160kms round trip on bad roads.

The jigsaw is made by Parkside,I brought it from Europe so I don't think the parts are for sale in Thailand but if it's a simple thing like soldering a connection they could fix it.

So my question is do you think it is something small like a loose wire or could

it need a part.Do they have to be hot or smelling of burn before the blow the motor,can you tell if it's worth the trip to the repair shop or can you tell from what I've written that I should bin it and spend 2500bht on a new one.

If the repair shop was just down the road I wouldn't be writing this post but such is my lot.

Thanks.

I wouldn't know a brush if it hit me in the face not to mind weather they are worn out or not.

Is that the first thing to check,do you need brushes for a specific make and model when you change them.

Thanks.

I suggest you toss it, especially if the parts are going to be unavailable. I bought my no-name brand jigsaw at Big C for less than 400 baht, and it has stood up amazingly well. If you really need the branded item, they had the Black and Decker for 1400.

Coincidentally, my no-name jigsaw came with an extra set of brushes.

Yes,

Maybe I should chuck it.

This is what I'm trying to find out.

If I get a new one I will want a quality one with with all the functions

which will probably cost 2k+ in Home Pro.

Advice on what I should pay for a new jigsaw is welcome also

If you don't know what brushes are, chuck it in the bin and buy a new one. Although, you could do a Google search.

I don't know the prices, but get a good brand- Dewalt; Skill; Black and Decker if the others aren't available.

Makita Jigsaw in Home Pro is the one to get....but there are 2 models....get the dearest and you have more settings to use for cutting steel, etc.

As for the one you have (Broken)....did you try it in a numer of power outlets, as ants will bugger your outlets....thats what i would be looking at first.

Take the jigsaw to another area around the house and try again.....HOW OLD IS IT?

• Like 1

It's a few years old but it's not been used much at all.

I brought it to a local guy and he said it's not the plug.

What price range is the Makita in.

From memory it was just over 2k baht....I bought it about 4yrs ago...

With yours, I would bet you have a ants nest in the Jigsaw itself....Take it to a tyre shop that has a air compressor and get them to give it a good blowout...

Plug it in there at that shop....if it still doesnt work....continue on to town and get a new one..

Makita Jigsaw in Home Pro is the one to get....but there are 2 models....get the dearest and you have more settings to use for cutting steel, etc.

As for the one you have (Broken)....did you try it in a numer of power outlets, as ants will bugger your outlets....thats what i would be looking at first.

Take the jigsaw to another area around the house and try again.....HOW OLD IS IT?

Yep I second Makita.

They are site tough tools, take a beating, and well priced. Worth buying the 18volt cordless range with the batteries being interchangable between tools if you wanted to really set yourself up tool wise.

A cheaper version also made by Makita is Maktec range of tools. Great for around the home or if you don't use them all day everyday.

• Like 1

Yep I second Makita.

They are site tough tools, take a beating, and well priced. Worth buying the 18volt cordless range with the batteries being interchangable between tools if you wanted to really set yourself up tool wise.

A cheaper version also made by Makita is Maktec range of tools. Great for around the home or if you don't use them all day everyday.

Maktec...thats the one i was trying to think of....actually made by Makita but cheaper parts inside....good tool if you dont use all the time.

Chiangrai....look into the maktec as a possibility....

One of the biggest problems with power tools here is not the plug but the power cord where it enters the unit. It is in constant flex and the wires break internal. I've had to repair the cord on my cirdular saw (dewalt), my angle grinder (makita0 and one of my drill motors (cheap charlie). Unscrew the cover on the handle and check the power to the switch with a multimeter.

• Like 1

Yep I second Makita.

Agree also....actually with pretty much every electrical took there are two names only.....makita and Bosch, anything else will be just temporary.

Not sure if you actually checked the plug. You said a thai man looked at it? Is it the fuse, it could be the wrong one if you bought in the west.

Do you have a plug adapter from a western plug...could be broken.

Without the overheating being noticed or a slow down in performance it seems electrical.

And don't put the blade in when testing it.

• Like 1

I've had very good experiences when buying Bosch, Makita, Maktec power tools and garden tools in Buriram Province from Ruangsangthai Hardware. I was referred to this shop when they had the lowest price to buy and install the water pumps, water tanks, water filtering system, water pressure tank at our home in a small town near Buriram. The owner will gladly double the factory warranty for Makita and Hitachi Power Tools you buy at his Buriram Builders Merchants store. He does a thriving business in power tools locally not only selling but repairing power tools by an actual tool repair department at his main store located across from the Buriram PEA office building. I've seen boxes of power tools he receives in the postal mail for repairs, and boxes of Bosch, Makita and Maktec power tools he sells to customers who pay him via his bank account and he mails them the tested new tools via EMS for far less than even Global House, Homepro, Thaiwatsadu charge for the exact same tool. There must be other independent family owned tool shops in many parts of Thailand that do not have the high rental fees, high advertising overhead of the national home improvement chain stores. If the OP finds a shop where the owner has the confidence in a particular brand, stocks the repair parts, perhaps that owner will double the warranty. Makita and Maktec Tools are made inside the same Makita Tool Corporation assembly plants, to the same build standards, but not the exact parts in each tool. A Makita, or Bosch power tool, lawn mower or garden tool is not a throw away item, like so many 2nd tier or "house brand" electrical goods I've bought and discarded in Thailand.

post-20604-0-21873700-1399872544_thumb.j

post-20604-0-81676100-1399872688_thumb.j

post-20604-0-19244100-1399873015_thumb.j

post-20604-0-83201800-1399873157_thumb.j

• Like 1

If you have to go shopping anyhow I would take unit you have for repair - as said it is likely a motor brush needed as that will be an immediate stop of motor. Even a major issues can likely be repaired at a shop without specific parts as brush/motor wire/and such are easy to locate/fabricate by those with knowledge of repair. Jig saws are not normal household items here so may be harder to find than fixing what you have.

• Like 1

Yes,

Maybe I should chuck it.

This is what I'm trying to find out.

If I get a new one I will want a quality one with with all the functions

which will probably cost 2k+ in Home Pro.

Advice on what I should pay for a new jigsaw is welcome al

most electrical items should last you a year [warranty] I have a graveyard full that just die after the warranty runs out.

apart from the therapy sessions at home pro,being good customers we get good service