Where To Get Good Mexican Food?

maxme

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At the very end of Sukhumvit /Soi 18 and directly across the street from the the Townlodge hotel is a place called: Taco's and Salsa. I think thats the name but the succinct directions will get you

there to be sure.

I liked it,... thought it was passable as good/decent mex food, at least for me.

Give it a try and tell us what you think.

• Like 1

La Monita? http://www.lamonita....ia/Welcome.html

There are quite a few threads on this subject so a search might yield some info?

I took a look at the menu and the offerings look good. The prices however were surprising. They are as high or higher than than they were in Austin, Texas. Maybe there just aren't enough Mexicans here to keep the price down. biggrin.png

I'll be in Bangkok nest weekend so I'll probably give it a try.

David

There are quite a few threads on this subject so a search might yield some info?

I took a look at the menu and the offerings look good. The prices however were surprising. They are as high or higher than than they were in Austin, Texas. Maybe there just aren't enough Mexicans here to keep the price down. biggrin.png

David

Check out the price on Green Curry in Mexico City ... coffee1.gif

David

No thanks JT. To check it out, I would have to go to Mexico City. I'd just as soon go to Arkhangelsk in the winter.

David

David

No thanks JT. To check it out, I would have to go to Mexico City. I'd just as soon go to Arkhangelsk in the winter.

David

Understood. I think it has been proven it is possible to do excellent Mexican food in Thailand but it has not been proven it is possible to do that here CHEAPLY.

For me the best is Charlie Brown's on Sukhumvit Soi 8, a short walk down a side soi.

its better than sunrise i will grant you but nowhere near La Monita or Salsa and Tacos or one or two others. in fact,the food is quite poor, if it wasnt for the location (sub soi off soi 11 not 8) and the fact that historically there wasnt much competition, in Bangkok, for Mexican food, i doubt it would have survived.

Just my opinion obviously.

Edited by wordchild
  • Like 1

Agreed.

I was there the first weekend Charley Brown's opened in Town-in-Town. Felt like the end of the earth back then (early 90's?), but it also felt like a miracle that someone was serving half-way decent Mexican food in Bangkok.

Back then, we had only the wretched Tia Maria, the wretcheder Thai Room, and the wretchedest El Gordo -- all now RIP, thankfully.

These days, though, CB's has been far surpassed by any number of newer places. I won't be going there anymore.

For me the best is Charlie Brown's on Sukhumvit Soi 8, a short walk down a side soi.

its better than sunrise i will grant you but nowhere near La Monita or Salsa and Tacos or one or two others. in fact,the food is quite poor, if it wasnt for the location (sub soi off soi 11 not 8) and the fact that historically there wasnt much competition, in Bangkok, for Mexican food, i doubt it would have survived.

Just my opinion obviously.

Interesting. Well i'm a relative newbie to Mexican food so i bow to your better judgement. All i can say is that CB tasted very good to my mouth so if there is better out there, and at the same sort of price, it must be amazing.

P.S. Thanks for the correction about location

P.P.S. When was the last time you were there? As i understand it, it has gone through a few different incarnations, with previous ones not being rated very highly. The current manager seems extremely keen to please and genuinely very welcoming to suggestions and criticisms.

last tried Charley Browns a couple of weeks ago i am afraid found the food to be still pretty average. The location is good and that sub soi is getting better all the time with one or two very good restaurants (sadly not incl cb,s).

if the management are open to ideas then mine would be that they should turn the whole operation over to la monita as a 2nd branch. The place would be packed 7 days a week (rather than half empty like now) and they could sit back and enjoy a share of the profits

last tried Charley Browns a couple of weeks ago i am afraid found the food to be still pretty average. The location is good and that sub soi is getting better all the time with one or two very good restaurants (sadly not incl cb,s).

if the management are open to ideas then mine would be that they should turn the whole operation over to la monita as a 2nd branch. The place would be packed 7 days a week (rather than half empty like now) and they could sit back and enjoy a share of the profits

Fair enough.

I guess these things are subjective though. Just checked out La Monita and Tacos and Salsa on Tripadvisor, and both of them have some not very flattering recent reviews... not that of course reviews can always be trusted, but i guess the same accusation could be easily be made of comments made here.

What in your opinion makes La Motina so much better, and what is it about their business that would guarantee CBs would be full 7 days a week? Purely down to the taste of the food?

PS: yes, it comes down to the food, as per the topic title.

My question was specifically concerning how the management of La Monita would suddenly be able to pack out a restaurant like CBs 7 days a week. I appreciate the quality of the food goes a long way to achieving this, but it's not always a given. Many other factors involved in my opinion.

They've succeeded in packing out La Monita seven says a week, with people often lined up waiting for tables. Reservations are a must.

That's great for them and i will be sure to give them a go, but doesn't really answer my question.

If all there was to packing out a restaurant was cooking good food, a lot of restaurants that have gone out of business, wouldn't have. Obviously location is extremely important, but there are many other factors too. I was just wondering in response to the person who said that La Monita would pack out CBs if they took over, whether that person believed they were capable of doing this just because of the superiority of their food.