British tourist, 46, beaten to death in Thai prison after being accused of stealing a moped

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thainess at it's best bah.gif

Its a prison not a church.

The nicest people do not really end up in prison, many are lifers and could not care less to kill someone over the silliest thing

Nothing to do with Thainess,, same all over the world.

Really? The chap was "accused" not guilty. For all we know he could have been the victim of an angry girlfriend pointing the finger at him because she was pee'd off at him for some reason, yet you seem to condone it. What a tribute to humanity you are.

I met the guy shortly before he went to jail. He was very violent and delusional to say the least. I went out of my way to avoid him. Thai jails have about 70 people in a cell and no moving room. Theres no way he would last more then a few days in that environment with his antisocial behavior. Not that it should have been covered up.

Thanks for posting.

Anyone know how long he got sentenced too for stealing the moped? And how far through the sentence he was when this cruel attack happened?

He had not been found guilty of anything, he was accused of theft and on remand.

Guys, Thailand doesn't have your lovely western justice system. It's stupid to even put yourself in a situation that might land you in prison. Didn't you get it yet?!

Sent from my GT-I9190 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

It's a prison people, what do you expect, crochet classes and finger painting?

Not being beaten to death is a reasonable expectation.

Yes, but LOTS of farangs survive in Thai prison. From books they've published, the other prisoners often give them a lot of leeway because they are known not to understand the culture, and they mostly don't speak the language. We'll probably never know, but I think this guy probably acted arrogantly and snatched something from another prisoner who has mental problems. Maybe refused to obey the cell "foreman." It's a tough environment, and you're expected to defer to those with more time served.

Maybe you'r speaking b*llox.. Another prisoner with mental problems? Cell "foreman"? Who are you, Andy MacNab?

being accused of the theft of a moped should not be a death sentence. Prison or not, how would you like it if it was your brother, would you then say " It's a prison people, what do you expect, crochet classes and finger painting?"

MAYBE I'VE MISREAD, BUT WAS THERE A COURT CASE FOR THE ALLEGED MOPED THEFT AND IF SO WAS HE CONVICTED OR WAS HE JUST ON REMAND?

The nicest people do not really end up in prison, many are lifers and could not care less to kill someone over the silliest thing

Really? The chap was "accused" not guilty. For all we know he could have been the victim of an angry girlfriend pointing the finger at him because she was pee'd off at him for some reason, yet you seem to condone it. What a tribute to humanity you are.

Oh..yeah, good story. And it happens all the time. Right? Just an angry girlfriend and you land in jail. I would say that was very unlikely.

Sent from my GT-I9190 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by MacWalen

If it makes people happy(as it would me) to get the message out that if you come to Thailand and take part in criminal activity you may end up in prison and if you continue to act like a thug/idiot in prison you may get beat or killed then great and wish Thai officials would promote these stories.

Or "if a bar girl makes accusations about you because you refused a bar fine you can go to prison and be murdered".. Happy with that one too?

Oh..yeah, good story. And it happens all the time. Right? Just an angry girlfriend and you land in jail. I wouldn't say that was very unlikely.

Sent from my GT-I9190 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile ap

We don't know do we? He was "accused" not guilty (yet, anyway). I've only been in Thailand 13 years but a similar thing happened to a guy who worked for me. He upset a girl and next thing he was whisked away by local plod accused of stealing her bike! Luckily enough we knew the local plod and sorted it before something like this chap suffered could happen. So while it might be unlikely it's not unheard of and remember the local police (or local anybody) will believe another Thai before a farang all day long

Some people here need to get off their high horses and get a grip on the reality. 'Accidents' do happen everywhere and Thailand is no exception. As a matter of fact, you're more likely to end up dead in English//Welsh prison.

Below is a breakdown of deaths in prison in England and Wales by year since 1990.

http://www.inquest.org.uk/statistics/deaths-in-prison

Stay off of the radar of the BIB in any case. Even minding your own business is not easy in this place. Being in public places, sometimes human nature makes you do things like reflexively reaching out when someone trips and falls near you. Not sure how this fellow ended up in prison for allegedly stealing a moped, there is more too it than what can be read here. But just being in the wrong place at the wrong time here or anywhere sometimes seals your fate and statistically you become a statistic. Hope it does not happen to any one of you that does not deserve it.

I do have some belief in karma though it is not logical. Almost the same as saying that an invisible man in the sky controls all of us but still gives us free will.

Sorry, ranting!

RIP Sean, you paid the ultimate price whether you deserved it or not!

Edited by jmccarty

Exactly. Nobody was saying he deserved to die. It is very sad and unfortunate. The point is not to put yourself in a situation that might result in going to jail as we might not make it alive out of there. Pure and simple. I might be totally wrong but my guess would be that he insulted a fellow inmate and Thais do not take insults very well. It is all about losing face.

Edited by MacWalen

I had a friend who spent 30 days in the same prison. The Thai inmates gave him clothing, shoes, extra food and treated him well. The only times he saw a fight were because someone did something to start it. His fellow inmates also advised him to speak to the Governer about his case as he was considered to be helpful and knowledgeable.

Surely he can't be the accused since he's already in prison?

Sent from my LG-D505 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

It is a remand prison. People who are accused of a crime are sent there to await trial or are granted bail.

Before I came here for the first time, many years ago, a friend warned me not to speak, even in jest, against the king or royal family, never to steal anything and never to get into a fight with a Thai person - he also said there was much less crime here than in the UK and I was most unlikely to be robbed except by a 'working girl' if I left money lying about in my room.

It seems strange to me that Mr. Flanagan didn't or couldn't contact his 'fan', friends or family to prevent him getting to prison in the first place or when 'in', to get him 'out'.

The point is, I think, that the freedom of being able to live with relatively less fear of being robbed or attackedin Thailand is made possible not only by the the nature of the Thai people (in general)and their spiritual/religious beliefs (in general) but also by the severity of the law and the unwholesome conditions associated with penal servitude.

Not being beaten to death is a reasonable expectation.

What is this Thainess b/s.

This is a very unfortunate case.

However, in case you haven't noticed yet, beatings in prison don't only happen in Thailand and long seemingly endless remand cases also do not only happen in Thailand. People wrongly jailed does not only happen in Thailand.

Here we are, siiting on the wall waiting for some normal thing to happen and have a bash at Thailand!!

Get lives folks.

Pick something you don't like. Should be REALLY easy and do something about it. If you can.

This IS something I really don't like. Why are you making excuses for behaviour that is barbaric even by local standards?

If you want to 'get a life' why waste your time posting on Thaivisa?

The "get lives" is a suggestion directed at the waste of breath berating Thailand about something that is inherent in most human nature the world over. In most prison systems. Where violence is a constant undercurrent, that has to be contained.

I don't see anyway in which Thailand should stand out from other South East Asian countries.

It does in the murder rate, road fatalities and perhaps alcoholism but not necessarily the barbarity of inmates.

Where do I excuse any barbarous act? That is not my word. If it were I do not excuse it. I try to point out Thailand is not guilty.

Individuals are.

I've known prison officers in Australia to do far worse than this.

The charge laid and the description of the event makes this sound like provoked manslaughter.

Whereas the prison officers I mention committed murder and attempted murder. Recently enough and that is barbarous.

The device used was smoke and fire, deliberately lit.

This is an overreaction and Thailand does not deserve the blame.

I have made some friends on Thai Visa and it is a small part of the interesting life I have. I hope to contribute

positively, and frequently defend Thailand here from people who don't think much before going for the jugular

about anything and everything. It seems they have not travelled much or read widely.

Somehow I doubt that. It seems in Thailand it's very easy for a foreigner to end up in prison never being guilty of anything. Just imagine you are involved in a car accident not of your own fault and how things can turn against you in a hurry landing you in prison.

I'll ask you the same question. Do you know anyone who has been put in a Thai jail never being guilty of anything? I don't mean the legal definition, I mean being falsely jailed?

Edited by Chicog

What have the embassy been up to?

Nothing as usual. The UK embassy is dreadful, no concept of serving the citizens in Thailand, simply a don't bother us attitude...disgusting. I have US and UK passports and so can compare the two embassies....there is little comparison, the US attitude is helpful and they view their job are helping their citizens. As I said the British attitude is 'don't bother us, we're too busy to help'.

Being safe from attack? Not much to ask.

In a third world country?

For heaven's sake, they don't use the Marquis of Queensberry Rules everywhere you know.

In GB it sometimes happens to child murderers & the like, but not for bike purloining!

I met the guy shortly before he went to jail. He was very violent and delusional to say the least. I went out of my way to avoid him. Thai jails have about 70 people in a cell and no moving room. Theres no way he would last more then a few days in that environment with his antisocial behavior. Not that it should have been covered up.

Do they not have isolation or segregation in Thai jails? If someone is that disturbed, most jails would isolate them. Especially if they are being beaten in to a wheelchair.

as far as I know they just stuff as many into a cell as they can, the sick, the crazy and people going thru drug withdrawals all go in the same cell

Really? Your post has many flaws.

Some people go to prison for non payment of a fine....maybe for the horrendous crime of an overlooked parking ticket.

Some are there as a matter of principle, perhaps over a protest.

Some are actually innocent.

You think that if a prisoner is murdered in the UK. Ireland, Denmark, Australia, Norway, Sweden, etc, etc it would be brushed under the carpet? Ignored and denied for eight months??

Thailand is a disgusting racist land of cheats, frauds, criminals and thugs. And thats just the people in charge.

• Like 2