Chinese tourists drop over half

Lite Beer

most of the Thais I know in Chiang Mai even the ones who have restaurants do not care for their business as they are loud and obnoxious

Agreed. Most of what I hear is that Thais do not care for Chinese much, especially in eating establishments where the cough, score phlegm, and yok it on the floor, and chew voraciously at 120Db. And it's quite true,,,, Chinese trait, tried to be hidden during the Beijing Olympics, but now back in full flight.

I have a Chinese neighbour, and when his doors are open, he sure lets us know when he's eating... it's gross! xsick.gif.pagespeed.ic.tVTSNn-2vr.png

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Chinese tourism took a triple whammy.

1) They outlawed "zero dollar tours" where the tour operator makes most or all their money by dragging their customers to gem shops, overpriced attractions, etc.

2) There is a legitimate fear of the political situation.

3) The CCP is playing up the Thai political situation in their press, putting a loathing of any kind of protests into their populace- lest they be next on the list. If you believed the Chinese press, there's grenades and guns going off everywhere.

My heart goes out to the Thais who counted on that business for their living.

Edit: Oh, #4) It's been a while since "Lost in Thailand" quit playing in Chinese theaters. Short attention spans and all...

5) One of their favorite destinations...Chiang Mai University...has withdrawn their welcome mat...angering many...

Edited by ggt

Glad to see there are so many happy Chinese tourist numbers have dropped by such a huge number.

Well done Suthep, Mad Monk et all. Wonder how many Thais are loosing their jobs?

And we now await the figures from tourists from other countries who are choosing different destinations.

I very much doubt it will effect many Thais jobs, the Chinese tourist market is not one that spends money, particularly the big tour groups. More of a nuisance than anything.

Yeah, and a poor attempt at spreading Red Propaganda.

Sorry I was no aware how knowledgeable you are about the spending habits of Chinese tourists. We have had some 20 or so visit over the last few months and saw a lot of baht crossing counters. Last week a young lady guest from Shenzhen spent some 20,000 baht in 4 days.

Again sorry. I really thought the recent disruption to the country recently was in the hands of Suthep et al causing concern to potential visitors. At least that was what our Chinese friends who cancelled and did not come told us, but what do I know!

• Like 1

Chinese tourism took a triple whammy.

1) They outlawed "zero dollar tours" where the tour operator makes most or all their money by dragging their customers to gem shops, overpriced attractions, etc.

2) There is a legitimate fear of the political situation.

3) The CCP is playing up the Thai political situation in their press, putting a loathing of any kind of protests into their populace- lest they be next on the list. If you believed the Chinese press, there's grenades and guns going off everywhere.

My heart goes out to the Thais who counted on that business for their living.

Edit: Oh, #4) It's been a while since "Lost in Thailand" quit playing in Chinese theaters. Short attention spans and all...

Err, quadruple.

Someone nicked all their credit cards cheesy.gif

If only the Russians would do the same.

I live in Jomtien, which is usually swaggering with Russians, but they seem to have all packed up and headed for the new Crimean resorts. Really. Very quiet (maybe too quiet?). Anyone seen numbers in the drop from there? Might have to start printing adverts etc in English again. It is just that bad!

Thailand’s political turmoil has started to take toll on the number of Chinese tourists visiting the Kingdom with arrivals declining over 50%.

While this is definitely one factor I can assure everyone that the state of the Chinese economy is another factor.

The China hype about it's magic economy is evaporating and reality is taking it's toll.

ASEAN economies are feeling the effects in the same way they felt the evaporation of the Japanese boom some 20 years ago.

Just met them yesterday.

They were screaming and I didn't understood w tf happened, no-one was on the ground waiting for CPR, street monkey boys didn't attack them for gold necklace, their guide was there with infantile colorful flag as usually.

After a while well recognized this was only their normal behaviour. Like russkyes but Chinese spits more. Very digusting team.

• Like 1

Yeah I noticed the country seems to be pretty quiet lately. What a f...... surprise it's coz of the lack of Chinese.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Met yesterday 4 chinese female travellers in their early 30s i guess.

Two of them speak good english and they were not loud or rude or some of the stereotypes.

They were friendly and interested travellers.

• Like 1

"Thailand", so you're losing your Chinese tourists ?
Have you noticed how these tourists look the same as most of you Thais who have got money ? :)
It might be an idea to try and win back these people who are from the same country as you're originally from !

Actually, how do Americans feel when they see tourists from Europe in America ? How do Australians feel when they see Brits in Australia ?

Seriously, the number of mainland Chinese tourists is growing rapidly, supposedly, China now sends out more tourists than any other country, and that includes America. Thailand, just as any other country that receives tourists, is going to have to compete to attract these Chinese tourists. It is, after all, all about trying to make money ! :)

Glad to see there are so many happy Chinese tourist numbers have dropped by such a huge number.

Well done Suthep, Mad Monk et all. Wonder how many Thais are loosing their jobs?

And we now await the figures from tourists from other countries who are choosing different destinations.

I very much doubt it will effect many Thais jobs, the Chinese tourist market is not one that spends money, particularly the big tour groups. More of a nuisance than anything.

Sorry I was no aware how knowledgeable you are about the spending habits of Chinese tourists. We have had some 20 or so visit over the last few months and saw a lot of baht crossing counters. Last week a young lady guest from Shenzhen spent some 20,000 baht in 4 days.

Again sorry. I really thought the recent disruption to the country recently was in the hands of Suthep et al causing concern to potential visitors. At least that was what our Chinese friends who cancelled and did not come told us, but what do I know!

Not a lot from what you are posting .

Individual tourists are also very different to the large tourist groups that have been prominent over the last few years, but what do I know?

Maybe your experience is different than mine, but your comparing apples to oranges to be honest.

• Like 1

Even the Chinese have had enough of Thailand. Can you blame them?

Nah.

Half of them just got Thai passports, and opened up businesses all over Thailand- and now they aren't counted as tourists any more... They even look the part.

(Get ready for it if they really do crack down on corruption in China and zillions of dollars of dirty money have to be hidden somewhere they can reach without going through an airport)

Individual tourists are also very different to the large tourist groups that have been prominent over the last few years, but what do I know?

Maybe your experience is different than mine, but your comparing apples to oranges to be honest.

Sorry you find it necessary to be rude to try to get over your point. But there you go, if it makes you feel good dig out.

Sorry you find it necessary to be rude to try to get over your point. But there you go, if it makes you feel good dig out.

Bit touchy aren't you? Nothing rude in what I posted, just from experience. You asked a question, making a broad assumption.

Correct me If I am wrong, regarding independent travellers and large group tours.

the chinese are afraid that their people might do the same in their home country => protesting the governement ?

same same as here ... overwhelming majority is poor, ruled by the super rich elite ...

Thailands political turmoil has started to take toll on the number of Chinese tourists visiting the Kingdom with arrivals declining over 50%.

While this is definitely one factor I can assure everyone that the state of the Chinese economy is another factor.

The China hype about it's magic economy is evaporating and reality is taking it's toll.

ASEAN economies are feeling the effects in the same way they felt the evaporation of the Japanese boom some 20 years ago.

Do you know Publicus? You and he should get together to rant about China.