Final crackdown for border runners - New strict Immigration regulation in force from today

sounds like as long as you've have a suitable visa - not difficult - then you will be fine.

i agree that people 'living' here on back to back 30 day visa exemptions should be dissuaded from doing so.

if you cant be bothered to sort about the appropriate visa for yourself then thailand doesn't want you and neither do the vast majority of foreigners living here. coffee1.gif

Not really a matter of border runs.... or not wanting tourists to stay and spend the money.

Wet season coming up....tourism will slow down anyways.

Not to mention the political fiasco

And the bombings down south.

Tightening up immigration laws is not in their best interests..

I am thinking perhaps it is a knee jerk response by somebody trying to maneuver into a political seat. Might also be a way of preventing foreign military teams in crossing in and out during political unrest. It would sort of make more sense.

Again...Border crossing is just a tool. Many tourists do it. I get my visas, but from time to time, just cross the borders...especially if I have booked a flight after my visa expired...and do not wish to get another visa to be used for only a few weeks. I live half an hour from a border.

Does nothing except take away options.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this does not affect me but i wonder if it would affect all that use the 30 days visa exempt correctly.

Ie fly into Thailand without a visa, stay 2 weeks than travel to Cambodia for a week an return to Thailand for a week before heading home ( or up to Lao or down to Malaysia/Singpore/Bali)

So now they CANNOT do this?

and will need apply for a tourist visa outside to come back in.

This will hit those legit tourist as well.

No Richard, I'm assuming your example would continue to be allowed.

Because, someone doing your example (Thailand-Cambodia-Thailand) would only be using ONE visa-exempt land border crossing. And supposedly the new rule allows ONE.... But it apparently won't allow any more than one.

but that if they ONLY travel to one country overland,

say they do fly in get a 30 day,

travel overland to cambodia an come back overland and get their ONE free exempt entry

now they cant go overland and back anywhere else>

Many peolpe use Thailand as a hub for traveling to Cambodia, Laos, Burma, Malaysia. ( many backpackers that dont or cant affrord to fly)

Well, now the visa system is so complex that no one understands it. Not even the Thais.

What happens if you are a genuine tourist flying around using VOAs (Visa exemptions on arrival) and you pop over to Indo to surf a bit and then come back to Thailand and then pop over again.

It is all degenerating into the ridiculous...

I understan it. Flying in and out is ok.

So...come August Thailand can kiss goodbye to all the oil and gas and mining lads who fly in and out on month on, month off rosters?

I don't think so. If the guys are out of the country for a month working they aren't doing a visa run.

This is an example of one of the visa type run's which is currently being discussed.

Pattaya to Cambodia.

Get picked up in a mini van in Pattaya and taken to the Cambodian border at the Ban Pakard crossing. Thai immigration stamp your passport as leaving Thailand. Walk into Cambodia and have your passport labelled with a full page visa for 30 days in Cambodia. Collect your passport and walk back to Thai immigration and have it stamped as re-entering Thailand for 15-30 days. You have spent a total of around 20 plus minutes in Cambodia out of a 30 day visa and seen about 20 square metres of it before re-entering Thailand. In total you would be lucky to spend no more than 30-40 minutes at the border crossing. This is what they are now cracking down on.

As others have said, the rest of us have had to jump through hoops with reams of paper to stay here long term on retirement, non-o and ed-visa's etc. I must admit that I do feel sorry for those caught out without notice. Welcome to Thailand TIT.

Edited by aussiejon1604

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

changes nothing. I have friends who have been here years and have never once crossed any boarder for any visa extension.This is Thailand-have money- do as you please.This will only make those visa fixers a little more money and many local Thai vendors/businesses a little less.

There is truth in what you say, if you are not part of the system then you can remain hidden. But, as posters have already mentioned, if immigration is serious about clampdowns, the next group targeted will be the over-stayers. At least this would be a logical step, this group having members such as your friends.

I can envisage an update in the 'tourist passport register' (or whatever name they call it), with more access to local police stations, banks, vehicle registry offices, etc, etc, etc.

It is as difficult living in a foreign country without at some stage using your passport as it is dangerous relying on electronic transfer of funds from overseas alone to exist in said country.

For clarification, I realize a lot of the above mentioned (bank accounts, vehicle ownership, etc) cannot be achieved today on a visa exempt stamp. However, there are a lot of people out there who have in the past had valid visas and are now living the border run life through one thing or another.

Again, IMHO, this action by immigration will see an increase in over-stayers in Thailand, and unless they make progressive steps on the clampdown, it will cause them more grief than they have now.

Will be interesting to see. Actually feel a bit sorry for the runners.

A lot of whinging here, just because people don't like change.

I have been here now over three years on a tourist visa. One flight back the uk every 6 months, new visa ...£80 and finished.

Don't have to go to uk, but my family are there.

Now I am dreading sorting out visa for the wife to come next time.

You think Thai immigration is bad try getting into uk, aus,states.

Thais are pussycats.

As far as I recall the UK , the US and Australia have a similar visa exempt entry as Thailand for nationals of those three countries.They did when I went there anyway.

In fact a UK national under 30 can get a 12 month working holiday visa into Oz without any problem. Just don't overstay!

I believe the rights are reciprocal which could explain the many Aussies in London and the dramatic increase of IQ in said city.clap2.gif

So fly in and out every 30 days won't be affected?

It will be effected in August 2014.

Correct.

It seems that as of 12 August border runs by air will also no longer be allowed.

Not so smart from some vieuws ...

This is big news that will affect a lot of people.

Kudos to Thai visa for getting the info out there.

I wouldn't fancy being a border runner right now - that said, going in and out of Thailand every 30 days means you aren't a tourist anyway and are probably milking the system.

Immigration seem to be on one at the moment!

I know many people who rely on the border runs; however, I don't believe any of them were attempting to milk the system. They were unaware what they were doing was illegal. It seems odd that there is such an industry set up to support this practice andwhich advertise their services openly if, in fact, it was against the law.

This crackdown is actually advantageous to tourists on extended stays since it is much cheaper to apply for and receive a Visa than to make the monthly border runs.

Is it illegal? I thought it was just a loophole, thats all. otherwise there will be a lotos nervous tourists out there right now.

So...come August Thailand can kiss goodbye to all the oil and gas and mining lads who fly in and out on month on, month off rosters?

I am pretty sure the new regulations apply ONLY to those doing back to back visa runs. If one has a 1 month break in between, i do not think this new regulations apply.

The oil and gas guys do month on, month off, so there will be 1 month between the visits, which is genuine, as oppose to someone doing monthly or 2 weekly runs

If anything, this will only get more difficult to come into Thailand for foreigners who are not from ASEAN countries. In 2015, ASEAN nationals will be able to move more freely across the borders of every ASEAN country.

Who told you that nonsense.

No, when the AEC comes into force, ASEAN nationals will NOT be able to move freely across borders of every ASEAN country. They will need the same visas they need now.

ASEAN under the AEC is not like the EU in that capacity.

Edited by Som wat

So is it definite that anybody who flies out and then straight back into Thailand right now, will still get a 30-day visa exempt entry.....only they will be warned that they must apply for an appropriate visa if they are believed to be on a "visa run"?

I predict a huge problem come Aug 12 when they begin cracking down on tourists arriving on flights too. I know MANY people who live in other countries in the region who come to Thailand periodically, maybe 2 to 6 times a year, for various reasons (leisure, visa run for their country, business, etc). If they actually start denying entry to these casual travelers, who have no interest in living in Thailand, there's gonna be major fallout.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

changes nothing. I have friends who have been here years and have never once crossed any boarder for any visa extension.This is Thailand-have money- do as you please.This will only make those visa fixers a little more money and many local Thai vendors/businesses a little less.

There is truth in what you say, if you are not part of the system then you can remain hidden. But, as posters have already mentioned, if immigration is serious about clampdowns, the next group targeted will be the over-stayers. At least this would be a logical step, this group having members such as your friends.

I can envisage an update in the 'tourist passport register' (or whatever name they call it), with more access to local police stations, banks, vehicle registry offices, etc, etc, etc.

It is as difficult living in a foreign country without at some stage using your passport as it is dangerous relying on electronic transfer of funds from overseas alone to exist in said country.

For clarification, I realize a lot of the above mentioned (bank accounts, vehicle ownership, etc) cannot be achieved today on a visa exempt stamp. However, there are a lot of people out there who have in the past had valid visas and are now living the border run life through one thing or another.

Again, IMHO, this action by immigration will see an increase in over-stayers in Thailand, and unless they make progressive steps on the clampdown, it will cause them more grief than they have now.

Will be interesting to see. Actually feel a bit sorry for the runners.

Overstayers when caught may go to Thai jail, even if that is just for a short time, Hm...., I would say overstaying is a very stupid thing to do.

rolleyes.gif I know for a fact that there are a number of what you could call "backpackers" who often fly into Thailand without a visa.

Then they go overland or by air to Vietnam, Cambodia, or Laos; and return to Thailand by land (Bus from Ho Chi Minh City to Phnom Penh and then to Bangkok overland is a popular route).

Many of them never get a Thai visa, just assuming they will get a second visa free entry to Thailand at the border crossing from Cambodia into Thailand.

Many of them are going to be surprised.

From my experience many of them are young Europeans who haven't had to use a "visa" in the EU since the EU started and really don't know why they need a "visa" anyhow.

It might get interesting.

Edited by IMA_FARANG
  • Like 1

this does not affect me but i wonder if it would affect all that use the 30 days visa exempt correctly.

Ie fly into Thailand without a visa, stay 2 weeks than travel to Cambodia for a week an return to Thailand for a week before heading home ( or up to Lao or down to Malaysia/Singpore/Bali)

So now they CANNOT do this?

and will need apply for a tourist visa outside to come back in.

This will hit those legit tourist as well.

No Richard, I'm assuming your example would continue to be allowed.

Because, someone doing your example (Thailand-Cambodia-Thailand) would only be using ONE visa-exempt land border crossing. And supposedly the new rule allows ONE.... But it apparently won't allow any more than one.

And possibly the border immigration people have more intelligence than you give them credit for. They know sh!t from shinola. A fair dinkum tourist isn't going to get hassled. Most will be able to show some sort of itinerary - flights in - out etc.

• Like 1

Immigration thanks all TV Posters who gave them the info to clamp down on these "unwanted" tourists. Please keep posting so that they can make it water tight! That reminds me of the thread do Thai people use Thai Visa? Yes Immigration does!cheesy.gif

Hopefully this crackdown will be like many others, short lived. A lot of people legitimately working, studying, living, or touring here, do border runs occasionally between visas. They should be able to differentiate between someone doing it a few times, and someone doing it for 5 years.

I am sorry but your post makes no sense - if one is legitimately working, studying, living or touring then you will have the correct vise and you will also ensure it is renewed at the correct time. If there is a delay with your visa and you are genuine IMMIGRATION will grant you a temporary.

Do not post claptrap like this some unsuspecting person might believe it - where do I tick the unlike button forDP25 and as a previous legitimate said "About Time".

• Like 2

sounds like as long as you've have a suitable visa - not difficult - then you will be fine.

i agree that people 'living' here on back to back 30 day visa exemptions should be dissuaded from doing so.

if you cant be bothered to sort about the appropriate visa for yourself then thailand doesn't want you and neither do the vast majority of foreigners living here. coffee1.gif

Not really a matter of border runs.... or not wanting tourists to stay and spend the money.

I am thinking perhaps it is a knee jerk response by somebody trying to maneuver into a political seat. Might also be a way of preventing foreign military teams in crossing in and out during political unrest. It would sort of make more sense.

Again...Border crossing is just a tool. Many tourists do it. I get my visas, but from time to time, just cross the borders...especially if I have booked a flight after my visa expired...and do not wish to get another visa to be used for only a few weeks. I live half an hour from a border.

Slippery, has it occurred to you that you are part of the problem? Doesn't sound like you are a tourist - more like a long term stayer using the system. I can understand your want to stay long term.

Can you understand the Thai Government need to want you to do according to their requirements?

Oh dear!

I'm just caught in the middle of it now.

I have a legit Non Immigrant 90 days Visa expiring this coming May 13th.

A few days ago I pre-paid for a Visa Run, to Ranong, this coming Monday May 12ve.

And actually I just need a minimum 7 days extension since circumstances made that I am leaving (for good) for another country this Saturday May 17th.

What should I do now?

a- Go to the Visa Run anyway and risk it.

b- Get my money back from the Visa Run company and drive my motorbike to immigration office in Phuket Town this Monday and beg for an extension

Anybody got real official information to suggest?

TKS

I wouldn't fancy being a border runner right now - that said, going in and out of Thailand every 30 days means you aren't a tourist anyway and are probably milking the system.

I know many people who rely on the border runs; however, I don't believe any of them were attempting to milk the system. They were unaware what they were doing was illegal. It seems odd that there is such an industry set up to support this practice andwhich advertise their services openly if, in fact, it was against the law.

This crackdown is actually advantageous to tourists on extended stays since it is much cheaper to apply for and receive a Visa than to make the monthly border runs.

Do you live in fantasy land? what you have said borders on the ludicrous go tell it to the Oxen who predict a good season ahead.

Walen School can help you with your ED visas if you need help. Very reliable service and fair price for the quality of work we do. We have 11 branches in Thailand so there is one probably near where you live. You can also PM me.

I wouldn't be surprised if the ED visa scam is the next to come under the microscope. Not the genuine ED learners but the people who use it - ahem - shall we say - flexibly.

Possibly a Thai language test at regular intervals. That would sort the chaff from the wheat so to speak.

pam pam, boom boom, sin sot, ting tong, bia, bababobo... ah the great thai vocabulary!

Up to You...thumbsup.gif

Kee Nok Farang

Hansome Man

• Like 1

Slippery, has it occurred to you that you are part of the problem? Doesn't sound like you are a tourist - more like a long term stayer using the system. I can understand your want to stay long term.

Can you understand the Thai Government need to want you to do according to their requirements?

Actually do have a visa, my friend. As well as a son and daughter in the Philippines. I fly out several times a year, get a six month visa, and do enjoy a trip in Laos or Cambodia

So as you can see, I am quite legit. And follow the rules. I do not work....I am a traveller, by default. Have been all my life. I do not maintain a home, bank, property nor do I work.

Your statement that I am the problem just is, simply put, ...garbage.

• Like 1

Milking the system.....hmmm... if you are not a gangster and are a perennial tourist, (of that's a contradiction, but it's a matter to say), it means you are spending money in Thailand, perhaps supporting some gf (and her family), paying for your hotel, 7/11, taxis, etc...

This is not milking the system.

I know foreigners with proper work permit who transfer 90% of their money to Swiss accounts (not directly, they tell their customers to pay the orders by sending the money to Switzerland or Singapore): they are milking the system much more than the hippies who are lounging around , 99% of which are doing no harm.

Under the current situation of Thailand, I would rather make the regulation easier instead stricter, perhaps extend the retirement visa to everybody.

A people under 50 can have enough money to retire in a cheap country like Thailand.

Mate, I'm not sure what you are saying. Anyway why should Thailand become a place where under 50's can retire cheaply? This is South East Asia old son not The European Union!!

Who cares how much money you make.Swiss accounts or not...I certainly don't.

I realise that the system you may have grown up with has dealt you a bad hand with respect to your arrogance....but believe me the rest of the world doesn't work the same way. Stay in whatever EU country you are in...Please!!!

Hopefully this crackdown will be like many others, short lived. A lot of people legitimately working, studying, living, or touring here, do border runs occasionally between visas. They should be able to differentiate between someone doing it a few times, and someone doing it for 5 years.

I am sorry but your post makes no sense - if one is legitimately working, studying, living or touring then you will have the correct vise and you will also ensure it is renewed at the correct time. If there is a delay with your visa and you are genuine IMMIGRATION will grant you a temporary.

Do not post claptrap like this some unsuspecting person might believe it - where do I tick the unlike button forDP25 and as a previous legitimate said "About Time".

Not my fault you have problems with reading comprehension. The important part in that comment, is do border runs occasionally between visas. Large numbers of people who normally have legitimate long term visas and work permits, sometimes do border runs for a couple months while waiting for paperwork to get a new visa. Large numbers of legitimate tourists do them as well. People change jobs, they move, they change schools, etc and the new paperwork for these things in Thailand is not always quick to get. Their work permit expires, hence their visa expires the same day, and then they wait for paperwork for their new job, and do a couple border runs while waiting. It is a huge hassle now under these new regulations since they will have to leave the country for a few days to get a tourist visa, and then leave again when their paperwork comes in. When instead they could just target people living LONG TERM (ie every month for 6 months or something), instead of tourists or those just doing it a couple times because their new job is slow giving them the correct paperwork.