Govt raises legal questions over election of new speaker

Lite Beer

Govt raises legal questions over election of new speaker
Khanittha Thepphajorn,
Jeerapong Prasertpolkrung
The Sunday Nation

30233373-01_big.jpg

Niwattumrong

BANGKOK: -- Acting PM wants check, amid fears that Surachai may move to impeach Yingluck

The election on Friday night of Surachai Liengboonlertchai as the new Senate Speaker is still in question despite the majority of senators voting for him.

Acting Prime Minister Niwattumrong Boonsongpaisan said the government would have the Council of State study the law to see whether Surachai could take the post after the government did not put the selection of a new Senate Speaker on the agenda when submitting a Royal Decree to have the special Senate session for royal endorsement.

On Friday night, Surachai beat Jongrak Jutanont, who is supported by the pro-Pheu Thai camp, 96 to 51.

Pheu Thai deputy spokesman Anusorn Iamsa-ard said the party's legal team would investigate to see if anyone involved in the selection of the Senate Speaker had violated the law.

Pheu Thai legal expert Kanin Boonsuwan said Surachai had violated the law as he did not resign from the Deputy Senate Speaker post before running as a candidate for the Senate's top job.

Kanin also said it was unlawful for the Senate to have a meeting on the agenda out of a House session.

Appointed Senator Paiboon Nititawan, who is on the side of the anti-government protesters, said despite the new speaker being voted in, the government would try to stop the Senate from proceeding with the impeachment process against former Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra.

Yingluck was indicted by the National Anti-Corruption Commission in the rice-pledging scheme case on Thursday.

Paiboon referred to a Council of State comment that an impeachment process can occur outside a House session only after the Parliament president submits a royal decree.

After the House dissolution on December 9, the government has not has the numbers to form a quorum in the Lower House so the Senate is the only legislative institution at the moment.

The Parliament president, who is also House Speaker, and the Parliament vice president, who is also Senate Speaker, are positions that have been vacant. There has been speculation that Surachai now has the capacity to nominate an interim PM because of the political crisis.

Former Senate Speaker Nikom Wairatpanij's term ended in March. His role as caretaker Senate Speaker ended later that month after he was indicted by the NACC for allegedly amending the constitution illegally.

Surachai has scheduled a special Senate meeting for tomorrow to discuss finding a solution to the political impasse.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-05-11

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting - the so-called PM calls the new speaker invalid as it was not timetabled; at the same time the acting PM is put under question as there ois no remit to appoint a PM other than via election or via the Senate.

Exactly.

What a bizarre situation.

I wonder if this was the intention

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Interesting - the so-called PM calls the new speaker invalid as it was not timetabled; at the same time the acting PM is put under question as there ois no remit to appoint a PM other than via election or via the Senate.

Exactly.

What a bizarre situation.

I wonder if this was the intention

Probably - possibly a move to try and invalidate any call for the senate to elect a new PM (assuming the EC state they can't provide for a fair and safe election). Wheels within wheels.

If we produced a movie on all this it would be classifies as FICTION

there will be some vert wealthy Lawyers at then of all this

I have said in the past, its the moves that PTP plan and make they give Suthep the fuel to keep going

If Yingluck had resigned when she was advised to, Suthep would have run out of go by now

• Like 1

Acting PM wants check, amid fears that Surachai may move to impeach Yingluck

I suppose the acting PM would rather have an election, and *then* convict her thus removing her from office again.

One wonders what these people use instead of brains.

F^F^S^ seriously - the people are fed up with this bull

If you could ever right a script for the mother of TV shows about political lunacy you couldn't get better than Thailand right out of the box, if it wasn't so serious it would be funny w00t.gif

This man thinks he's the Caretaker PM lol cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Edited by smedly
  • Like 1

If the new speaker is from Thaksin, I am sure exactly the same law mentioned above will be used to boot him out.

But it is the other way round, so it is perfectly OK.

No no no, it is just PTP running scared that the ex-clone will get the big chop from the Senate.

It is a valid legal question and should be addressed. If it has no legal basis, then it will not proceed any further. I do note that the majority of votes came from Senators who were appointed by the former military dictatorship and Abhisit administration. That does cause a bit of a stench.

And if that then prompts questions about the legitimacy of Mr. Short time Poly Syllable's selection as temporary, interim, stand-in, substitute, acting , caretaker prime minister that ultimately leads to the political vacuum that some desire, dies that therefore leave us in a status of som nam na that you will accept?

Considering the 96 to 51 victory of Surachai, the chances are pretty good that Yingluck will be convicted.

PTP could win points by acting contrite, but instead they bluster.

So shameful to watch.

Great seems curtains for YL seems the Dems finally have some power in the senate.

Bit by bit the evil dictatorship is being broken down. Good will triumph over corruption and evil.

• Like 1

It is a valid legal question and should be addressed. If it has no legal basis, then it will not proceed any further. I do note that the majority of votes came from Senators who were appointed by the former military dictatorship and Abhisit administration. That does cause a bit of a stench.

Ahhh right...

So you have the list of who voted for who?

Good, so we can see exactly which ones voted where and who they are alligned with and whether they were appointed or elected..... Any chance you can share the data, as I have never seen such details that not even the 150 senators have access to. You must be very well connected. I am amazed how the red camp always seem to have access to 'facts' that nobody else is privy to.

Personally I used to think that they just made things up to give their posts a bit of credibility, such as know that all attacks on PDRC are other PDRC supporters etc....

Would be nice if we could all have access to the same facts, but seems you first have to support the government for this secret info perk.

On a different note..... The 'so called' acting PM shouldn't be throwing stones from his very fragile glass house. His own position and how he acquired it is also very questionable, and a hell of a lot more shaky than the election of a senate speaker which was a lot more democratic than his own appointment.

I will give this a week. and YL will be impeached and also this jerk removed from office, and senate proceedings started to appoint a new PM and cabinet. I can see the senate seeking an extension to their session via royal decree and I don't doubt for a minute that they will get it.

It seems that if anything the PTP are attempting to create a political vacuum with their blocking of this and that...... If the country is to move forward at all... It is becoming increasing clear that the rest of these idiots need to be replaced, and only then can they hope for improvement.

Edited by WoopyDoo
  • Like 1

Considering the 96 to 51 victory of Surachai, the chances are pretty good that Yingluck will be convicted.

So shameful to watch.

No, what is genuinely shameful to watch is the conga line of TV suckholes endorsing the illegitimate overthrow of democracy

Until all can canvass without fear of intimidation, there is no democracy.

Oh that canvassing thing again. Any luck with some details I asked for in the other thread? Rather than you just blithely saying that Democrat Party canvassers were murdered and beaten up in the North. I gave you links to what I could find, any chance of you doing the same?

Or is it the usual scattergun accusation approach in the hope that it will be believed, so beloved of certain posters on here.

Edited by fab4

So shameful to watch.

Great seems curtains for YL seems the Dems finally have some power in the senate.

Bit by bit the evil dictatorship is being broken down. Good will triumph over corruption and evil.

I don't think the Dems got some power....I think the common sense got some power.

• Like 2

So shameful to watch.

I don't think the Dems got some power....I think the common sense got some power.

Also an option of course.. I always thought senators would vote for what party they support no matter if it was right or wrong.. at least it went that way before.

The so called PM is the same rotten crook and commander of Thaksin's rice pledging scam, isn't he?

So no wonder that the show goes on...

• Like 1