Can I Still Bus to Vientien?

Hey Guys,

So, based on the latest crackdowns, I'm a little unclear right now. I have a 30 day on arrival visa. Currently in Chiang Mai. I'd like to take the bus to Vien Tien, either through Udon Thani or directly. Exit via the land border, get my visa, then bus back in.

I'm unclear on whether or not this is allowed. Is Thailand just not letting people pass through via land borders if you're on a VOA? That seems unrealistic, since Vien Tien is a legitimate tourist destination. Seems like only Mae Sae had that issue? What about the Udon Thani / Nong Khai border? Are they letting people on VOA leave, and just not come back with a new VOA, or are they not letting us leave altogether?

Thanks!

Thanks. I'm not that worried (just a little worried) about getting a visa one I'm in Vientienne. I just want to make sure I can actually cross the border to get to Vientienne. Since people at Mae Sae were turned back, not able to cross the border at all.

The fiasco in Mae Sai yesterday is still not fully understood.

You can leave at any border crossing but you may not be allowed back in if you have more than one visa exempt entry at a border crossing. It will be at the desecration of the immigration officer.

You should apply for a tourist visa if you travel all the way to Vientiane. You could get a 2 entry tourist visa there.

The fiasco in Mae Sai yesterday is still not fully understood.

You can leave at any border crossing but you may not be allowed back in if you have more than one visa exempt entry at a border crossing. It will be at the desecration of the immigration officer.

You should apply for a tourist visa if you travel all the way to Vientiane. You could get a 2 entry tourist visa there.

So frankly speaking. Does this means that (like my friend who is now coming to Thailand on VISA EXEMPTION 30 days flight) that he can actually leave Thailand at a border crossing, turn around and get another 15 days... He has NOT got any other VISA EXEMPT ENTRY at a land border crossing...this year..... They are coming to Thailand one time every year on a 5-6 week holiday and it would be great for them NOT to have to buy a VISA if possible...

Do you know Ubonjoe??

Glegolo

The best translation of the new rules lead to me to say yes they can do it. But they could be denied boarding their flight to here if they don't have a ticket out of the country within 30 days.

I suggest they get a tourist visa that way they will have no worries. A 2 entry visa would insure they will have no problems.

Just in case you were also asking about a direct bus to Vientiane from Udon...You have to have a Lao Visa in advance to take the direct bus. If you do not have an advance Lao visa, you will have to Exit Thailand on the Thai side, take the B20 shuttle bus across to the Lao side and enter there. $35 or B1500 so better to have US$$. There will be many taxis and cars available as soon as you exit the Immigration area. I suggest always checking the vehicle the driver is offering. If you want a car, make sure he isn't driving a Tuk-Tuk. Some drivers also will not make clear they have a van and intend to wait until it is full before departing. Usually B200-300

Any fresh reports obtaining a double entry tourist visa in vientiane? Are they stricter now?

I've been there 3 times before, since 2012 and never asked to show any supporting documents,, are those days over now?

tldr: business as usual regarding tourist visas in vientiane.

Just came back from vientiane. I got a double entry tourist visa. (i had the same previously,, so it was back-2-back double-entry tourist visa).

No problems in vientiane, business as usual, was not asked to provide financials, tickets, etc...

The only thing different was the amount of people,, but could be due to holiday may 13.. Anyway, everybody got served and i saw noone get refused or hassled in the embassy or when going through the border back to thailand.

Because of the amount of people in the embassy, stuff got a bit delayed, usually the stop taking applications 11:30 ,, but now they took applicaitons to around 1pm.. As long as you got a queue number before 11:30.. Some people said this was due to the holiday may 13th..

Getting passports back the day after usually starts at 1:30pm,, but now it was delayed to around 2pm because they were still taking payments from applicants.