Austrian bearded drag queen wins Eurovision song contest

Lite Beer

Austrian bearded drag queen wins Eurovision song contest

1399768419_1-org.jpg

Photo Ailura

COPENHAGEN: Austria won the Eurovision Song Contest early Sunday for the first time in 48 years with "Rise Like a Phoenix" sung by bearded drag queen Conchita Wurst.

The 25-year-old performer, whose real name is Tom Neuwirth, took the Eurovision crown in Copenhagen despite initial expectations that the eye-catching performance would be too controversial in socially conservative countries.

"We are unity, and we are unstoppable," she said after winning the glitzy competition with 290 points compared with 238 points for runner-up the Netherlands, in what Eurovision fans had anticipated would be a more closely fought race.

When asked what she would tell Russian President Vladimir Putin -- who last year signed a law banning "gay propaganda" -- she said ""I don't know if he's watching, but if so, I've made clear, we're unstoppable."

The win was also a victory for all people who believe "in the future of peace and love and tolerance," said Wurst after the live broadcast, where she cried in front of the cameras.

"I said to myself just this time please just let me be the one with the gold," she said.

The Eurovision winner secured most of her "douze points" top scores from western European countries including Britain, Sweden and the Netherlands.

However, she underlined that she also had fans in countries perceived as being more conservative.

"It doesn't depend on a country, there are people ... also in eastern Europe who believe what I believe," she said.

Austria last won Eurovision back in 1966 with "Merci Cherie" by Udo Juergens.

Since the contest was launched in 1956, voting has often been tied to politics and the 2014 event was no exception, with the audience jeering countries that announced giving points to Russia.

Azerbaijan and Belarus both gave top marks to Russian entry "Shine" by the Tolmachevy Sisters.

Austria's Wurst didn't become one of the bookies' top candidates until Thursday's semi-final, amid reports that the drag act had prompted shocked petitions in Russia, Ukraine and Belarus.

Even in Austria, the leader of the right-wing FPOe party had called the act "ridiculous".

"I have very thick skin. It never ceases to amaze me just how much fuss is made over a little facial hair," Wurst told AFP on Friday.

Half the points awarded in Eurovision are compiled through televoting and the other half come from professional juries in each country.

Danish public broadcaster DR had transformed a disused shipyard into a purpose-built arena for the event, creating a spectacular stage for a fraction of the price some host countries have spent.

The growing size of Eurovision, and a desire by some countries to use it as a national showcase, has led to soaring costs, and DR's 190 million kroner (25.5 million euros, $35.4 million) budget was considered relatively modest.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/austrian-bearded-drag-queen-wins-eurovision-song-contest-46203.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-05-11

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The odd aspect is that Thomas is a decent looking person who had he been Korean would be a K pop star or if an American, some sort of role in a Disney manufactured group. At the age of 25, he's too old for that now, and the "bearded" transvestite gimmick isn't going to get him the lucrative "product placement" and offers he probably wants. At best he will be stuck doing the German- Austrian talk show and gay bar circuit. On the other hand, he probably reminds some of the Austrians of their mothers, so maybe he can get a steady job as a product spokesperson for a chain of restaurants or laundry detergent.

• Like 1

The odd aspect is that Thomas is a decent looking person who had he been Korean would be a K pop star or if an American, some sort of role in a Disney manufactured group. At the age of 25, he's too old for that now, and the "bearded" transvestite gimmick isn't going to get him the lucrative "product placement" and offers he probably wants. At best he will be stuck doing the German- Austrian talk show and gay bar circuit. On the other hand, he probably reminds some of the Austrians of their mothers, so maybe he can get a steady job as a product spokesperson for a chain of restaurants or laundry detergent.

Well, he's certainly not going to get a role in a Gillette commercial.
  • Like 2

Nothing unusual with this bearded person. He's not the first, except he's not a woman. He's just a guy wearing too much makeup, with a beard and wearing a dress.

bearded-lady-miss+annie+jones+elliot.jpg

It is a gimmick. If he was serious about being a woman, he wouldn't have a beard. It's just downright silly. I'll probably raise some eyebrows with this comment, but, out of the dress and shaved, he's a good looking guy. I don't know why he would want to make himself so unattractive.

• Like 2

Eurovision contest has always been politically influenced. This time as well.

I guess most of the Europeans just wanted to send their message to Putin, who has previously been against gay rights as well as everything which does not follow the old school morals.

I expect the Internet to modify this image so that there is few used tissues on the table, while his right hand is under the table.

10341773_10152810784944619_1673035763820

How about a SPOILER ALERT next time?!?bah.gif

We don't all watch things LIVE in Thailand, you know?!?w00t.gif

If you are going to watch the contest, recorded - you are destined to suffer in any case. :D

Spoiler alert: After forcefully watching couple of the song. There is quite a many awful songs and plenty of even worse.

I honestly don't understand why this show must go on.

Eurovision contest has always been politically influenced. This time as well.

I guess most of the Europeans just wanted to send their message to Putin, who has previously been against gay rights as well as everything which does not follow the old school morals.

I expect the Internet to modify this image so that there is few used tissues on the table, while his right hand is under the table.

Europeans showing their dislike now of Putin, every time Russia was voted for, or mentioned chorus of boo's from the audience

If you are going to watch the contest, recorded - you are destined to suffer in any case. biggrin.png

Spoiler alert: After forcefully watching couple of the song. There is quite a many awful songs and plenty of even worse.

I honestly don't understand why this show must go on.

It's a freak show. That's why. Yuk.bah.gif

Personally I think everybody should be allowed to dress the way they wish. It's none of my business.

But the contest itself is a bit like governments doing a job, which is known to work better on private sector.

Eurovison has become an alternative lifestyle travel and tourism promotion. Not

judging, but whenever interviews were done on BBC it was just Gay men who were

interviewed and shown on the news snippet. whistling.gif

Just when you thought Eurovision couldn't get any tackier............................

And people complained about Wogan treating the whole thing as huge joke.

I watched it, and I was genuinely crying with laughter. It was the weirdest and funniest bit of TV I have seen for many years.

If we left the EU I would just ask that they let us enter for the giggles.

About time an Austrian with facial hair won something.

Post of the day. A shame this little gem went mostly unnoticed.

Sent from my GT-N5100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

i think it went ignored, 70 years is a long time

• Like 1

Did no one catch the Polish act? They could not sing for Toffee but cop a load of this: (just cut straight to 2.10 then 2.49 to save being overexposed to cheesiness)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFaRv5LXbRY

So I need to get a Polish washer women and Butter churner!

Thought Denmark was good and Netherlands then Finland me'self,

Glad I'm not French, what a set of Knobheads they had lol...

Edited by Lokie
  • Like 1