M79 grenade fired at Rangsit University

webfact

M79 grenade fired at Rangsit University

BANGKOK, 12 April 2014 (NNT) – An M79 grenade was fired at a building in Rangsit University. Fortunately, there were no reports of injury.

A 14-storey building in Rangsit University was attacked by an M79 grenade., which landed on the 12th floor of the building, damaging windows and walls.

The Forensic Police and the Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) were right away called in to inspect the scene.

Authorities believed the attack was politically motivated, but declined to draw any conclusions. The room which the grenade landed on belonged to an assistant professor.

According to authorities, the attacker(s) had no intentions of taking lives, but instead, were trying to send a message.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-05-12 footer_n.gif

"Authorities believed the attack was politically motivated, but declined to draw any conclusions"

These, "Authorities" must consist of very, very clever people.

How did they assume it was politically motivated?

Wait for the conclusions.........they will never come.

• Like 1

"If the authorities are in communication with these terrorists, can they tell us who they are?"

Rangsit University has been openly opposed to the shinawatra led governments.

Authorities are assuming, because otherwise these terrorists must have terrible, terrible aim ( bombing unarmed elderly protestors, children eating at noodle shops, but mostly lots of empty buildings).

According to authorities, the attacker(s) had no intentions of taking lives, but instead, were trying to send a message.

I think we understand the message of the attackers (sorry no prizes for guessing who they are) we don't care who we kill just so we can stay in power and continue stealing as much of the taxpayers money as we can. Is that about right?

Edited by uty6543
  • Like 1

If the authorities are in communication with these terrorists, can they tell us who they are?

No,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,they only speak Cambodian!!

• Like 2

I am an insource of Rangsit, and it was politically motivated against the owner, Arthid Ourairat, who is a stern yellow... always has been.

The attack was not meant to inflict any damage to students or workers there, as seems clear because it was not at a busy time or when students would be studying. However, it was a clear message to the Faculty of Eduction, which was hit (Building 11), not to translate or interfere with red business.. as it goes, or further be involved in the student arm of the protesting units.

It was a random attack, and maybe by a local loony.. however, if it becomes a repetitive event, I shan't be near the University soon!

Edited by Thaiisnotrequired
  • Like 1

If the authorities are in communication with these terrorists, can they tell us who they are?

and Arabic, of late. ;)

• Like 1

I think we understand the message of the attackers (sorry no prizes for guessing who they are) we don't care who we kill just so we can stay in power and continue stealing as much of the taxpayers money as we can. Is that about right?

No...................its SPOT ON!!! +1to you for having a brain ...........BUT...............................beatdeadhorse.gif and everybody knows it!!

No...................its SPOT ON!!! +1to you for having a brain ...........BUT...............................beatdeadhorse.gif and everybody knows it!!

Not quite so direct an attack, but rathermore we will hit anywhere to make a message. Rangsit has always, itself, remained largely unpolitical, despite its owner.

However, it is clear the grenade was launched by RED shirts at this stage, as CCTV footage is revealing.

TODAY, no security has been upped, and business as normal. Surprises me, a little, but the university itself will not give in to terrorist threats which the RED shirts are now clearly trying to improvise!

Nice to see this part:

"Fortunately, there were no reports of injury."

Most of the time in the press, the word "but" is used instead of "fortunately". Its as if they are disappointed.

and Arabic, of late. wink.png

really??/.........................tell me more!! in private

" According to authorities, the attacker(s) had no intentions of taking lives, but instead, were trying to send a message. "

How do they know what their intentions were ? What " authorities " are these ? In any other news organization they have to reveal sources. How are we to weigh the opinions of an anonymous source ? These " authorities " should be identified, because that makes a big difference. Are the " authorities " the police ? The university ? Who ? It is an important point, because different sources, naturally, reveal different opinions. The reader then has a choice in determining the weight they should be given. Unfortunately, time after time, these statements from anonymous " authorities " are carbon copy identical, as if to even whisper what everyone one else thinks is like walking on egg shells. Truth be told, Rangsit University has generally been outspoken against the Pheu Thai administration - a fact that should not really surprise anyone, at least for those who are interested in drawing a line between all these attacks. For anyone watching this internationally, it is as profoundly sad and disturbing as it is transparent. These attacks occur again and again, perhaps in part due to the kind of investigations they receive ( i.e. next to none ) and perhaps also due to statements that the " authorities " routinely issue after the fact - statements so amorphous that they don't actually say anything.

Edited by Scamper
  • Like 1

" According to authorities, the attacker(s) had no intentions of taking lives, but instead, were trying to send a message. "

How do they know what their intentions were ? What " authorities " are these ? In any other news organization they have to reveal sources. How are we to weigh the opinions of an anonymous source ? These " authorities " should be identified, because that makes a big difference. Are the " authorities " the police ? The university ? Who ? It is an important point, because different sources, naturally, reveal different opinions. The reader then has a choice in determining the weight they should be given. Unfortunately, time after time, these statements from anonymous " authorities " are carbon copy identical, as if to even whisper what everyone one else thinks is like walking on egg shells. Truth be told, Rangsit University has generally been outspoken against the Pheu Thai administration - a fact that should not really surprise anyone, at least for those who are interested in drawing a line between all these attacks. For anyone watching this internationally, it is as profoundly sad and disturbing as it is transparent. These attacks occur again and again, perhaps in part due to the kind of investigations they receive ( i.e. next to none ) and perhaps also due to statements that the " authorities " routinely issue after the fact - statements so amorphous that they don't actually say anything.

Not often, actually never, have I disagreed with you. I love the legal poetry you write, accurately also.

However, referring to 'authorities' involved in this case does refer to inside sources I have within Rangsit. The alledged authorities in this particular case relate to a so said Dean/Owner of a particular university, who has a huge guard because of his past political impasse. In addition, not only is Rangsit, or its associated family outspoken, but there are many more local universities within such a vicinity, which I shall not include.

The time of the attack is, even if it was intended, with a grenade at such a time was wholeheartedly as statement, and not intended to victimise others than those at the very top. If the reds had wanted to inflict damage to many numbers, and believe you me I am not by anywhere means closely affiliated to the reds, rather much at the opposite end, they would have grenaded the place today, full of students. Let's hope this choice of warfare (be it guerilla or wanton) remains largely at bay.

You know as well as I DO who initiated this statement of attack, so we don't need beat about the bush on that one. However, the intent of this attack, which I knew about very early yesterday evening, was not aimed at human collateral.. for once.

Thus, in this instance, the authorities are those who are releasing statements on behalf of the University of Rangsit itself, and not police coordinated.

RSVP.

Only in Thailand, sad.png ......some starts lobbing military ordnance at civilian targets and the authorities come out and say it wasn't intended to harm anyone... facepalm.gif

One assumes the "authorities" cited are the RTP, in any other sane country in the world, a person in authority making a statement like this would be removed from their position immediately....

Now I'm at a loss of words. They are endangering the lives of many innocent students. Those Thaksinistas don't take any mercy at all. What a disgrace...

Wrong. I've been at the spearhead of this, and if you see the time of attack, even though downright ludicrous and barbaric to attack a University, it was clear nobody was around. Take heed in that the attack was not at a time as such that the university was not student laden, for once, even though it is unnerving.

Now I'm at a loss of words. They are endangering the lives of many innocent students. Those Thaksinistas don't take any mercy at all. What a disgrace...

Wrong. I've been at the spearhead of this, and if you see the time of attack, even though downright ludicrous and barbaric to attack a University, it was clear nobody was around. Take heed in that the attack was not at a time as such that the university was not student laden, for once, even though it is unnerving.

And that makes it OK how?

It's their way of "pleading the 5th"...lol. (The right not to incriminate oneself=5th amendment of the US constitution)

That makes it a chilling message. State terror orchestrated by a regime clinging to power. We can and will strike where we want, anyone who dares oppose us. No one on our side ever gets prosecuted and few ever caught. You have been warned.

The couldn't give a shit if anyone had been hurt or not. They simply want their own way at any cost.

Those foreigners, so called journalists and posters who constantly attack the military fail to recognize that Thailand does not have a functioning professional unbiased non corrupt police force to keep the peace and enforce the law evenly.

• Like 2

That makes it a chilling message. State terror orchestrated by a regime clinging to power. We can and will strike where we want, anyone who dares oppose us. No one on our side ever gets prosecuted and few ever caught. You have been warned.

The couldn't give a shit if anyone had been hurt or not. They simply want their own way at any cost.

Those foreigners, so called journalists and posters who constantly attack the military fail to recognize that Thailand does not have a functioning professional unbiased non corrupt police force to keep the peace and enforce the law evenly.

and the magnificent 7 on here think there a great bunch.....says a lot....

What????

Edited by MaxLee

it was clear nobody was around. Take heed in that the attack was not at a time as such that the university was not student laden, for once, even though it is unnerving.

What about the cleaning or maintenance crews ?....if they had been injured or killed, this would have been ok then ?, because they are low level employees and not some spotty faced "elite" student. ?

• Like 1