Blood pressure

philcon

My doctor in the UK refused to take my blood pressure for that reason - he had the nurses check it.

With the looks of many nurses here that might not work out too well. And they also wear white. There should be a five minute sit down before taking reading (my hospital shuffles paperwork for that period) but if you have fear the pressure is likely to remain high - it has taken me at least a decade of frequent visits to doctor to get it close to what it is at home - previously it could run 40 points higher in office.

For home monitor make sure it is the type you use on arm rather than wrist - I can not get accurate reading on wrist and all reports I have read indicate it is a real problem to do so for many, if not most.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sheryl

Do you have any recommendations for good quality, reliable BP monitors available here in Thailand? I've been reading reviews online but, as you know, not everything in the "world" is available in Thailand.

Thanks

David

I have an Omron, believe HEM 7111 and works very well. Paid around 1600 Baht for it in Thailand at a major pharmacy, possibly Boots.

post-566-0-57546400-1403068496_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Sheryl

Do you have any recommendations for good quality, reliable BP monitors available here in Thailand? I've been reading reviews online but, as you know, not everything in the "world" is available in Thailand.

Thanks

David

I have an Omron, believe HEM 7111 and works very well. Paid around 1600 Baht for it in Thailand at a major pharmacy, possibly Boots.

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

Thanks Tywais

That is one of the units that I have been looking at and it gets good reviews.

David

has anyone mentioned the connection between high blood pressure and kidney function? specifically passing protein into the urine as measured by albumin/creatinine ratio...

if you look into it, it's one more highly compelling reason to DO SOMETHING NOW about hypertension...check google...

In UK many older people take dispersible aspirin daily to thin the blood a little. 75mg in uk but 80mg here and known as 'baby aspirin'

Some docs think the benefits are outweighed by the risk of stomach 'irritation' by aspirin so do your own research. I know it thins the blood as, when I had a small op, the surgeon could tell I was taking aspirin and told me I should have stopped 1 week ahead of the op. Well now I know...

So presumably if your blood is a little thinner, the heart/pump doesnt work quite so hard, and maybe alleviates higher blood pressure. Not sure though but no doubt Sheryl will advise...

Actually the normal blood thinning size is 81mg Aspirin here and highly advise not calling it "baby aspirin" as pharmacy will not sell for baby usage and have spent many hours trying to obtain over the years and being told 'no have' by every pharmacy asked if the word baby was used.

Interesting as in every pharmacy here where I have asked for small dispersible aspirin, they say questiongly 'you mean baby aspirin?'!

What time period has your requests been made? Mine was 7-10 years ago so perhaps the times they are a-changing (can't be getting old) - as no store would even admit having if the word "baby" was used in asking - indeed I got 'killer' looks from many - very unThai experience.

What time period has your requests been made? Mine was 7-10 years ago so perhaps the times they are a-changing (can't be getting old) - as no store would even admit having if the word "baby" was used in asking - indeed I got 'killer' looks from many - very unThai experience.

The last few months. Beats me why you would get killer looks though??

Because it had very low regard after link to Reye's syndrome reports and was withdrawn completely for a short period as I recall - even in 2006 this was reported:

FDA may put aspirin on list of controlled drug
Published on August 11, 2006

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) may remove aspirin from household-medicine list.

The idea will be high on an agenda when a subcommittee on modern-medicine-formula list convenes on August 24.
"We are going to review aspirin instructions, contraindications and packages. We believe grocery stores and supermarkets should stop selling aspirin packets," FDA secretary general Dr Pakdee Pothisir said Friday.
He said FDA already sent letters to drug manufacturers to get prepared for a possibility that their license to produce aspirin-containing formula in packets is revoked.
FDA moves followed Caretaker Public Health Minister Pinij Charusombat's concerns about the unwelcome side-effects of aspirin in children after a nine-year-old girl in Lop Buri succumbed partially because of Reye's Syndrome.
The syndrome is strongly linked to the improper use of aspirin.
FDA already sent circulars to the Drug Stores Club of Thailand asking that pharmacies stop selling aspirin packets for use as antipyretic among children.
The Nation

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/home/FDA-may-put-aspirin-on-list-of-controlled-drug-30010858.html