Can anyone advise of type of blood pressure tablets available here and

where to buy blood pressure tablets ?

I understand you guys are not Doctors thanks for any response

Cheers phil

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First thing to learn is that there is Chiang MAI and Chiang RAI. Posting a request for Chiang Mai in the Chiang Rai forum could cause rather long delays in getting informative responses!

Be prepared to see your blood pressure increase even more as you learn the driving habits of the Thai ! ! !

wai.gif

Blood pressure tablets can be obtained OTC in most pharmacies. I use Concor myself, however it is strongly advised to get a doctor to verify the problem and that there is not something more significant and have him make the decision rather than self medicating. Any of the hospitals can do a BP check and consult with you for a few hundred baht.

• Like 2

I've taken Enaril 5mg for many years. It's a common drug for lowering blood pressure that is widely used in many countries under different brand names. It's very cheap and doesn't cause me any side effects. It would be good to have an initial consultation with a doc and follow-up monitoring. Drugs can have differing effects on different people so it's good to identify a drug that suits you and doesn't have negative interactions with other drugs that you may be taking. And yes, supplements and Asian concoctions are also drugs. Good luck!

• Like 1

Since being in Bangkok, I have been under the Sukhumvit Hospital at Ekkamai for high blood pressure and cholesterol - the tablets they recommend for me are Ramipril, Bestatin,and Anlopine and are provided by the hospital pharmacy. They cost about 5000 baht for 3 months supply.

Since being in Bangkok, I have been under the Sukhumvit Hospital at Ekkamai for high blood pressure and cholesterol - the tablets they recommend for me are Ramipril, Bestatin,and Anlopine and are provided by the hospital pharmacy. They cost about 5000 baht for 3 months supply.

Hospital pharmacies in Thailand are infamous for charging 100-200% more than a local pharmacy, and generally to be avoided, unless you are an in-patient and have no other choice. Most hospitals will also prescribe the imported drug when generic equivalents are available, much much cheaper.

If a hospital doctor says: "I will give you some medication" you can say that you have a close Thai friend who runs a pharmacy, and that you always buy your meds there, and just ask for the name of the drug. You can then buy it from any reputable local pharmacy.

This will save face - and in most cases, also save you a bundle.

• Like 1

I also go to Sukhumvit. Once every two months. I am taking Bestatin and Anlopine. Once I come off the Bestatin, would the posters suggest self medicating with Anlopine, rather than faffing around with docotor's appointments every two months? It would not save me anything as I have medical coverage through my employer, but it would be a lot more convenient. I know where to obtain the drug at wholesale prices.

I went into Klaimor Hospital this morning to get a health certificate (2 copies) for motorbike and car licence. My blood pressure has always bounced around mostly to the high side.

Top: 135-175

Bottom 80-95

This morning it was 170 over 90 (or 95) which is a bit on the high side

Drs over the years have frequently suggested I look at taking some kind of meds for high blood pressure but since mine varies I never followed thru, except I take the occasional Lorazapam (Ativan) when I feel a bit stressed which helps.

The Dr. suggested I again consider medication. I told him it bounces around and I just had 2 cups of coffee which likely bumped it up. He asked me to come back in a week, do not drink coffee, and have another test. I think I will follow thru this time. Perhaps the long term ringing in my ears is connected to high blood pressure?

He seemed like a nice guy, 55-60yo, great manner, genuine. Occasionally someone gives a great first impression.

If interested his name and hours available at Klaimor below:

Dr. Vichai

Tues & Thurs 8-12am at Klaimor Hospital

(Klaimor is just before Tesco on Hang Dong Rd (same side) car parking 30m past the hospital, bike parking in front.)

His office: go thru the main entrance right to the back, far left corner, ask for Dr. Vichai

Doug

I went into Klaimor Hospital this morning to get a health certificate (2 copies) for motorbike and car licence. My blood pressure has always bounced around mostly to the high side.

Top: 135-175

Bottom 80-95

This morning it was 170 over 90 (or 95) which is a bit on the high side

Drs over the years have frequently suggested I look at taking some kind of meds for high blood pressure but since mine varies I never followed thru, except I take the occasional Lorazapam (Ativan) when I feel a bit stressed which helps.

The Dr. suggested I again consider medication. I told him it bounces around and I just had 2 cups of coffee which likely bumped it up. He asked me to come back in a week, do not drink coffee, and have another test. I think I will follow thru this time. Perhaps the long term ringing in my ears is connected to high blood pressure?

He seemed like a nice guy, 55-60yo, great manner, genuine. Occasionally someone gives a great first impression.

If interested his name and hours available at Klaimor below:

Dr. Vichai

Tues & Thurs 8-12am at Klaimor Hospital

(Klaimor is just before Tesco on Hang Dong Rd (same side) car parking 30m past the hospital, bike parking in front.)

His office: go thru the main entrance right to the back, far left corner, ask for Dr. Vichai

Doug

Please don't delay in getting this investigated and treated. Continuous fluctuations in BP are not a healthy sign, see:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2266234/High-blood-pressure-New-research-suggests-sawing-readings-key-danger-sign-strokes-.html

Recommend you get a home BP measuring device (I've had an Omron for 3 years which has worked flawlessly) Take readings morning, noon and night - on BOTH arms, as a wide difference in both readings can mean something is wrong. Show the results to your Klaimor doc for his appraisal.

If he is not a cardiologist, I suggest you consult one to be on the safe side.

i also recommend going to a doctor and having the right medication prescribed for your particular condition. there are more than 100 medications for high blood pressure out there; some old and some new. what's good for one individual may not be good for another.

many years ago i suddenly was having high blood pressure. my doctor prescribed Inderal. i took it for a couple of months and indeed my blood pressure returned to normal. but i also started to notice a very bizarre feeling come over me. it was like i could not express myself, if i was angry i could only sit there and hold it in. i couldn't recall names, i missed appointments and other strange things. by the time i had my follow-up appointment with the doctor 2 months later, i honestly could not remember anything that happened in my life during those couple of months -- to this day. i complained to the doctor and he said "oh, it had that effect on you". he went on to tell me that they used the drug on soldiers returning from Vietnam to literally wipe out their memory from war and reduce the symptoms from PTSD. i never took it again (or any other blood pressure medicine). my blood pressure returned to normal where it still is today, 20 years later.

post-207984-14000879010721_thumb.jpg

Don't fall for the trap of taking pharmaceuticals for this! These medications have serious long term side affects on other organs and pulmonary system in your body.

Simply get yourself a bottle of Cayenne Pepper (organic). Take your blood pressure reading first. Start with just half a teaspoon in the morning mixed with water and check the pressure. Throw it down quickly and wash you mouth and throat with another drink of plain water. The affect of lowering the blood pressure using Cayenne takes about fifteen seconds and will last most of the day. Increase one quarter of a teaspoon to a maximum of one teaspoon until the correct pressure is indicated by a home electronic blood pressure monitor. Make sure you are sitting down because this natural way is way more powerful than any medication. So you may need to know how you feel afterwards for a short time to get the dose using a bit of common sense, trial and error.

Cayenne drops under the tongue will restart a heart attack victims heart. I'm serious. It's in any paramedics travel kit. It's in mine!

Read and learn more about this and DMSO.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Edited by bofhman

Sure, as they'll readily sell you imported brand name stuff. It's entirely at anyone's discretion if they prefer that and pay 5000, or a generic / locally produced brand of the same substance for less than 500.

Before you start taking pills, you should consider that if you start medication prescribed by a doctor, you will have to take that for the rest of your life. Taking medication for hypertension and then stopping it is very dangerous.

This isn't accurate.

When you have high blood pressure it's best to start anti hypertension pills to reduce blood pressure, and then as you adjust diet, lose weight and increase exercise (in that order), reduce and then stop the pills, on your doctor's advice.

Of course, some people have high blood pressure without being overweight or drinking too much. Just exercising and thinking it'll get better is akin to self-medicating. (Or self-non-medicating)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 1

Actually it is accurate and you failed to say why it is not.

The only way to reduce your blood pressure is to support your body so it can heal itself. DRUGS DO NOT CURE OR HEAL YOU THEY SIMPLY MASK THE SYMPTOMS and have delirious side affects. Only your body can heal itself ...

Folks, the following link is what they call a "Landmark Article".

Please goto:

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2000/07/30/doctors-death-part-one.aspx#!

"Only several ones like this are published every year. One of the major reasons it is so huge as that it is published in JAMA which is the largest and one of the most respected medical journals in the entire world.

I did find it most curious that the best wire service in the world, Reuter's, did not pick up this article. I have no idea why they let it slip by.

I would encourage you to bookmark this article and review it several times so you can use the statistics to counter ANY arguments of your friends and relatives who are so enthralled with the traditional medical paradigm. These statistics prove very clearly that the system is just not working. It is broken and is in desperate need of repair.

I was previously fond of saying that drugs are the fourth leading cause of death in this country. However, this article makes it quite clear that the more powerful number is that doctors are the third leading cause of death in this country killing nearly a quarter million people a year. The only more common causes are cancer and heart disease.

This statistic is likely to be seriously underestimated as much of the coding only describes the cause of organ failure and does not address iatrogenic causes at all.

Japan seems to have benefited from recognising that technology is wonderful, but just because you diagnose something with it, one should not be committed to undergoing treatment in the traditional paradigm. Their health statistics reflect this aspect of their philosophy as much of their treatment is not treatment at all, but loving care rendered in the home.

Care, not treatment, is the answer. Drugs, surgery and hospitals are rarely the answer to chronic health problems. Facilitating the God-given healing capacity that all of us have is the key. Improving the diet, exercise, and lifestyle are basic.

Effective interventions for the underlying emotional and spiritual wounding behind most chronic illness are also important clues to maximizing health and reducing disease."

- Mercola

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Edited by bofhman
  • Like 2

As said get a good blood pressure testing unit for home use is not that expensive and as you are at least suspect and may have to take medication likely a good investment - Many of use do have 'white coat' induced pressure from fear of the unknown so it is very important to get a baseline range rather than base medication on what may be a peak when making the hospital visit. Arm band is much more reliable from most reports (and my only attempt at a wrist unit was a write off - could not get any reading near accurate no matter how I positioned it or myself).

As said get a good blood pressure testing unit for home use is not that expensive and as you are at least suspect and may have to take medication likely a good investment - Many of use do have 'white coat' induced pressure from fear of the unknown so it is very important to get a baseline range rather than base medication on what may be a peak when making the hospital visit. Arm band is much more reliable from most reports (and my only attempt at a wrist unit was a write off - could not get any reading near accurate no matter how I positioned it or myself).

My doctor, director of cardiology, also told me to only use the arm cuff types for accuracy. I got an Omran fully automatic for around 1600 Baht at Boots.

I got an Omran fully automatic for around 1600 Baht at Boots.

Omron smile.png

What we have (Omron HEM-7211):

http://www.ddmedicalshop.com/index.php?route=product/product&keyword=HEM-7211&category_id=0&product_id=116

HEM-7211-250x250.jpg

I have ordered it online. 3090 Baht. Paid too much?

Model overview:

http://www.ddmedicalshop.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=59

Edited by KhunBENQ

I got an Omran fully automatic for around 1600 Baht at Boots.

Omron smile.png

What we have (Omron HEM-7211):

http://www.ddmedicalshop.com/index.php?route=product/product&keyword=HEM-7211&category_id=0&product_id=116

I have ordered it online. 3090 Baht. Paid too much?

Model overview:

http://www.ddmedicalshop.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=59

They come in different flavors depending on the features on it. Suspect this one has a large memory to keep track of the history and other features. Mine was just a basic one and I just keep a spreadsheet. smile.png

This is a photo of mine.

post-566-0-61730700-1400146372_thumb.jpg