Beer In Asia Is Fine I Dont Know What U Are Talking About

ayakiawe

Have had a love-hate relationship with Leo beer for the last five or six years. Love the way it tastes and appreciate its value for money, but hate the occasional curve ball it throws me in terms of hangovers. Last week i swore i'd never drink another bottle after i had the mother of headaches for an entire day after an evening drinking two solitary bottles. Throughout our relationship, Leo has done this to me on occasion, but of late seems more frequent and i'm just getting tired of having an old mate stab me in the back (or head to me more appropriate!)

I can forget Chang or Singha - hate the taste of both and absolutely guaranteed a hangover.

Not that keen on the taste of Heineken either to be honest, but looks like i'll be giving it a shot as don't know there's much in the way of alternative (sobriety not being an option!).

-----------------------

I enjoy the taste of Sing with Thai food but only one or two small ones... :o

• 10 years later...
On 6/13/2006 at 8:24 PM, Hans Brix said:

Some interesting bits on formaldehyde:

Chang like all Thai domestically brewed beers contains Formaline, a mixture of Formaldehyde and Glycerine which actually makes buzzed rather than pissed. You can remove it by tipping the chang upside down into a glass of water, holding the neck below the rim. Then watch as the Formaline sinks out into the water, it looks awful and in fact is. What you are left with a cleaner tasting Chang, the one that won awards abroad because Formaline is not put into the stuff they export to Australia etc, it's illegal. Those professing undying love for this beer, needed to know that. I like it, but in moderation, it makes a mighty hangover.

Konrad Stalin

http://www.bottledbeer.co.uk/index.html?beerid=924

Scroll down this next link to see a few tid bits

http://www.funkyguide.com/beer.htm

The sharp pains in the head you get from a "Changover" suggest that it is not dehydration that is the root cause but perhaps a special added ingredient. If you drink a warm Chang then it will taste vastly different from a well-chilled Chang. It has been suggested that the reason for this is formaldehyde. God only knows why they add it but every brewery in Thailand seems to find it necessary to add it in varying quantities to every beer they make. I really don’t know if it is done for cost factors or if they just think that is how beer is made but it has to be said that despite the added ingredient the beer is fantastically successful.

http://beerasia.blogspot.com/

in Europe a Beer is spoiled if you keep it in the cellar for to long.. here the can keep the Beer at an average 30 Celsius or in the sun for a long time, the just put ice to drink so there must be some preservative to prevent it from getting bad