confusion over visa extension

I have gone through a number of threads but the more I read the more confused I become. Please excuse my ignorance but can someone please advise me.

I obtained a multi non-im O visa in Australia. I have done a visa run once to extend it for a further 3 months and I am due to do another.

Do I have to extend it at the a border crossing or can I get it done at an immigration department.

It seems like most visa run people do not have a visa but a 30 day extension which the authorities are now clamping down on.

Also I believe this is only good for 12 months, how easy is it to get a new multi o visa and where from?

Thank you

You get a new 90 day entry when you do a border run it is not an extension. The new rules only apply to those that do not have and extension.

You have to leave and re-enter country every 90 days you cannot do it at immigration.

You could apply for a one year extension at immigration if you can qualify for it during the last 30 days of any of your 90 entries.

• Like 1

Even if he can get the extension of stay, it's probably better to wait until his non-O visa have been used about 11 months. He don't like to throw that away.

I would only take a couple of border runs not needed to cover the loss of the initial cost of the visa.

If you leave Thailand and coming back before your 12 month visa expired,you get another 3 month and your visa will be then valid almost 15 month.Just leave the country and come back a fed days before your visa expires

Thank you, but how do I get another multi visa?

Mine is based on marriage which were haven't done yet, so I guess we will have to get married and then get a marriage visa?

Even if he can get the extension of stay, it's probably better to wait until his non-O visa have been used about 11 months. He don't like to throw that away.

I would only take a couple of border runs not needed to cover the loss of the initial cost of the visa.

Yes it does. But we don't know if he likes to travel. Or if he needs to go out of the country. Or if he goes back to his home country now and then

You do not need to be married to obtain an O visa but is weird that the OP's is based on marriage when he is not.

I wonder if it was it issued in Brisbane and stamped over a bottle of red wine.

Edited by Spoonman

Once you get married,you can get a Non O Visa in Thailand but you need to show proof of monthly income or money in the bank,400.000 Baht and must be in your account for at least 3 month.

or you can go to Laos and obtain there your Non O Visa,very easy,just show your original marriage Certificate and copy and copy of your wifes Id Card and homepaper,pay 5.000 Baht.

Once you get married,you can get a Non O Visa in Thailand but you need to show proof of monthly income or money in the bank,400.000 Baht and must be in your account for at least 3 month.

or you can go to Laos and obtain there your Non O Visa,very easy,just show your original marriage Certificate and copy and copy of your wifes Id Card and homepaper,pay 5.000 Baht.

It's not a non O visa you get in Thailand

If you are at least 50 yrs. old, and can qualify for the financial qualifications of 65,000 Baht a month, or 800,000 Baht in the bank, or if you are married 40,000 Baht a month income or 400,000 Baht in the bank you can get a either a retirement visa or a Visa to support a Thai spouse.

If you are at least 50 yrs. old, and can qualify for the financial qualifications of 65,000 Baht a month, or 800,000 Baht in the bank, or if you are married 40,000 Baht a month income or 400,000 Baht in the bank you can get a either a retirement visa or a Visa to support a Thai spouse.

You are writing about the requirements for an extension of stay from immigration they are not visas. Visas only allow you to enter the country and obtain the permit to stay the visa allows. After that you can extend that permit to stay at immigration.

A person can apply for an extension of stay based upon retirement they meet the requirements.

If married to a Thai a person can apply for an extension of stay based upon marriage.

If using funds in the bank, for the first extension application they must have been in the bank for a minimum of 60 days. Subsequent extensions will require the funds to be in the bank for 90 days prior. The funds must be in an ordinary account and readily available, not locked up in a high interest account.

The basic difference between retirement and marriage extensions are:

1, that with a marriage extension a work permit is allowed and

2, the funding is less for marriage as explained in the quote above and

3, that the retirement extension is easy to get if you don´t need a WP and have the funding.

There are a number of hoops to jump through for the marriage extension, but entirely doable, it just takes time.

On application and all your paperwork is correct, they give you a 30 day Under Consideration stamp and the application goes off to "Head Office" for approval.

When approved, you get the remaining 11 months.

If you need a letter from your embassy or consulate to prove monthly income for instance, note that the Brit Consul in Chiang Mai charge about 50 GBP and you request one day and return the next to collect the letter so depending on where you live, add the costs of travel to the equation.

Kasikorn charged 100 Baht, just took the book into the office and was out again with the letter a few mins later.

As soon as your extension is granted you can use the bank funds, just top up with at least the minimum amount 90 days (or more) before the next application.

Good luck.

You are writing about the requirements for an extension of stay from immigration they are not visas. Visas only allow you to enter the country and obtain the permit to stay the visa allows. After that you can extend that permit to stay at immigration.

A person can apply for an extension of stay based upon retirement they meet the requirements.

If married to a Thai a person can apply for an extension of stay based upon marriage.

thanks. thats what i was told when i went to immigration department. mine is an multi non immigrant o married to a thai (i'm married smile.png ) issued in brisbane also. we were at immigration department at suksawat road fixing up the burmese maids work permit and asked them about extending my visa. no problem they said. hmmmmm, i'll tell you at the end of the month when i go to extend it.clap2.gif

Hi aussiesteve

a lot of info already , by Me also with a non-O visa have never done a "visa" run or border run, no need.

with your Non-O visa you enter Thailand and can stay 90 days. (btw this is not named as marriage nor retirement)

after 90 days you have to extend the non-O visa in the immigration office in your region and there and then you can extend your stay.

this extension is either based on marriage, see above the advances and/or cons or retirement.

conditions for retirement: age +50 yrs and monthly income +65000 baht or +800,000 in your bankbook

extension takes about 1/2 hr when all doc's present in the regional immigration office

condtions for marriage: being married to a Thai , person, living together , yes they wnat to see a photo with you and your wife at the house.

for finances, +40000 monthly income or Bt400.000 in your bankbook.

all paper work for marrigage ext. includes mariiage paperst etc. etc.

you can arrange an ext. for marriage through your regional immigration office, buyt your papers have to be send to BKK and take a month or so for approval

then......................each 90 days you have to announce to stay in thailand and ask permission for antoher 90 days, you do this at your regional immigration office; mine (in Nan) and others??? do allow the papers to be send by mail and within some 3-4 working days, you recieve the next 90dys slip for the passport by mail.

note: as ext. for marriage is more work for you but mostly for the immigration offices, the last ones prefer by far an extension based on retirement.

after a year your visa needs extension.

your original visa stays as is, but each year you need to extend it.

This extension again you do at your regional immigration office. needs more paperwork, but if papers alright you can have it (retirement) within the hour.

so you see with a Non-O visa,

- there is no need for border runs, actually dangerous if you leave Thailand and have not obtained before leaving a re-entry permit.

- the present strickter application of tourist that do not have a visa, but enter thailand without visa but receive a stamp 15-30 days permission to stay, do not effect people that have a Non-O visa.

Edited by ardsong

Hi aussiesteve

a lot of info already , by Me also with a non-O visa have never done a "visa" run or border run, no need.

with your Non-O visa you enter Thailand and can stay 90 days. (btw this is not named as marriage nor retirement)

after 90 days you have to extend the non-O visa in the immigration office in your region and there and then you can extend your stay.

this extension is either based on marriage, see above the advances and/or cons or retirement.

conditions for retirement: age +50 yrs and monthly income +65000 baht or +800,000 in your bankbook

extension takes about 1/2 hr when all doc's present in the regional immigration office

condtions for marriage: being married to a Thai , person, living together , yes they wnat to see a photo with you and your wife at the house.

you can arrange an ext. for marriage through your regional immigration office, buyt your papers have to be send to BKK and take a month or so for approval

then......................each 90 days you have to announce to stay in thailand and ask permission for antoher 90 days, you do this at your regional immigration office; mine (in Nan) and others??? do allow the papers to be send by mail and within some 3-4 working days, you recieve the next 90dys slip for the passport by mail.

note: as ext. for marriage is more work for you but mostly for the immigration offices, the last ones prefer by far an extension based on retirement.

This extension again you do at your regional immigration office. needs more paperwork, but if papers alright you can have it (retirement) within the hour.

- there is no need for border runs, actually dangerous if you leave Thailand and have not obtained before leaving a re-entry visa.

- the present strickter application of tourist that do not have a visa, but enter thailand without visa but receive a stamp 15-30 days permission to stay, do not effect people that have a Non-O visa.

Visa's can not be extended. you are extending your permission to stay. extension of stay is Not a visa.

Hi aussiesteve

- there is no need for border runs, actually dangerous if you leave Thailand and have not obtained before leaving a re-entry permit.

Thanks for the info. I have not extended my visa by mariage or retirement yet. So until I do I'll be doing the 90 day visa run. I'll have to do something when I get closer to the end of the year because the 12 months will be up so I am thinking maybe ed. visa.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

That is what I did almost 9 years ago.

I arrived in Thailand in June 2005 with a multiple entry non-Immigrant O visa. I returned to the UK in early August to finalise a few matters and returned again towards the end of the same month when I was given permission to stay until the end of November. Towards the end of October, I extended my visa based on retirement and was given permission to stay until 23rd August 2006 (1 year after my last arrival in Thailand). I extend my visa annually based on having had a minimum of 800,000 baht in my bank account for 3 months prior to when I extend it.

It's a simple procedure once you've done it a couple of times. The appropriate form is saved on my PC so all I have to do is to change a few dates. In addition, I do all my own photocopying.

Alan