Watch Global TV (Android Box)

josephbloggs

The only MAJOR issue with XBMC is your internet connection but that is the limiter on every internet based streaming system.

Minix XBMC on the X7 is above all an excellent video player capable of playing DVD and ISO movies from connected external harddisks, such as for example the USB 3.0 powered Toshiba 2T external harddisks. In such a case an internet connection is not needed.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think Jacn's comment above raises an interesting question on the issue of the XBMC boxes vs the streaming services. And that is, it really depends of WHAT RESULT/CONTENT the particular user is trying to accomplish.

For me, I want an Internet-based replacement for traditional cable TV, ie, streaming cable services like HBO or NFL or channels from the U.S. And from everything I've seen, the web-based streaming services like ILikeHD (or Aereo in the past and perhaps DirecTV's service due to launch later this year) provide that is a far less expensive, and less time-consuming manner -- and relatively free of hassles and ongoing upkeep -- than any XBMC approach I've seen.

On the other hand, if someone wants to play their own DVD movies or downloaded/saved movie files and doesn't already have a PC or media player attached to their TV, then the XBMC box or Android set-top box solutions that have SD card or USB connections make perfect sense.

But I've yet to see any XBMC implementation that provides as much quality content in as easy to access, no-maintenance, no hassle manner as something like ILikeHD.

• Like 1

Does anyone know how long the xbmc site down is going to be down for?

jb1

It's only xbmchub that's down xbmc.org is up and ok. If you want to do something like down load fusion from xbmchub it still works. You can also access individual pages by googling something like xbmchub fusion download etc.

• Like 1

jb1

We're currently preparing for the launch for our newly branded community! Please bare with us while we get everything together, it will definitely be amazing. We're expecting to be operational within the next two days at most.

• Like 1

When I went to ilikehd and signed up, I like their package the best. (how do I see the full list of channels in global TV?)

For some reason, they don't make their full channel list particularly easy to find on their website. But it is there.

https://secure.ilikehd.com/livetv/channellist.php

AFAIK, in order to access their plans and prices list, you have to create a log-on account with them first.

With AJBangkok's help, I was able to sort out today that ILIkeHD has an Android ICS compatible app that can be downloaded from their support website and side loaded that works on ICS Android devices....along with having the MX Player app installed as the supporting player.

Their regular Android app can be downloaded from the Google Play store, provided it's a Jelly Bean or above device... Though for some reason the Google Play app showed as incompatible with my wife's US-sourced Nexus 7 tablet running KitKat...

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

jb1

We're currently preparing for the launch for our newly branded community! Please bare with us while we get everything together, it will definitely be amazing. We're expecting to be operational within the next two days at most.

Well xbmc forum is back up again but certainly not running.

I managed to logon ok this morning, took a look to check addons the very easy to find and use instructions were gone? Took a look elsewhere, then decided to go back to forums. I noticed that I had come back as a guest. So tried to logon again, only to be told that I was using the wrong password username combination, which I wasn't, after some more attempts to log on I was told that I was using an invalid email account. No I'm not that is the account I registered with. So ok I decided to reregister, it was only then that I found out that I cannot use an hotmail.com account.

where before I was only www.confused.com I am now www.confused+.com

So do I now need to uninstall xbmc and install kodi?

jb1

Edited by jimbeam1

@jimbeam

You can use a hotmail account to sign up at xbmchub ( now tv addons ) the registration confirmation email just gets picked up by your hotmail junk filter so you'll find it there. That's what happened to me.

Xbmc is Kodi they are just changing the name. I don't think the first Kodi version is out yet so you will still be downloading xbmc version Gotham 13.1 or 2. When the Kodi version is released you can just update it over your Gotham version without deleting and reinstalling as all versions are built to facilitate this.

When you do install xbmc you will need to download the fusion zip ( the instructions are simple) after doing this would I recommend you use the xbmchub HUB wizard auto setup located in the fusion package to set up your machine as it puts in all the standard channels and movie streams . One you get comfortable using them you can start playing around finding different addons that suit your viewing style.

It may sound a but complex but I am the most computer illiterate person I know and it's not that hard to figure out .

I have a MK808 dual core android stick which has been ok, but it has started freezing a lot when I stream from ILikeHD programs, even though there is no issue if I watch on my Surface RT tab. There is a also issues with Netflix in that I can hear the sound, but the picture is scrambled.

I am considering upgrading to the Minix Neo x7, or possibly x8. Can anyone confirm that Netflix works on the Minix boxes ok.

@jimbeam

You can use a hotmail account to sign up at xbmchub ( now tv addons ) the registration confirmation email just gets picked up by your hotmail junk filter so you'll find it there. That's what happened to me.

Xbmc is Kodi they are just changing the name. I don't think the first Kodi version is out yet so you will still be downloading xbmc version Gotham 13.1 or 2. When the Kodi version is released you can just update it over your Gotham version without deleting and reinstalling as all versions are built to facilitate this.

When you do install xbmc you will need to download the fusion zip ( the instructions are simple) after doing this would I recommend you use the xbmchub HUB wizard auto setup located in the fusion package to set up your machine as it puts in all the standard channels and movie streams . One you get comfortable using them you can start playing around finding different addons that suit your viewing style.

It may sound a but complex but I am the most computer illiterate person I know and it's not that hard to figure out .

Thanks for that AJ. As for your last paragraph, I think I can beat you there?

jb1

Netflix works on the x8 and minix has their own apk download for it. I don't use netflix on my x8 but you should check the minix forum on any issues as there seems to have been some before you buy.

AJ, At the moment I am using my laptop. but am thinking of buying an X8, could you tell me where you got yours from an the cost. Plus would you still recommend it. Cheers

jb1

I bought mine at pantip 4th floor in the alley that leads to the front elevator. The price was 5000 with a free air remote. There us a thread from a few days ago discussing the minix and a guy just bought one at fortune town for 4700. Here is that thread.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/758413-media-streaming-device-options-today/

As far as recommending it yes I would. It is a top line unit with a great user support forum. My X8-h worked perfect out of the box but if you encounter a problem setting it up then just post on the forum and either the minix engineers or another user will respond fairly quickly. One problem I had with XbMC on the minix is that the standard " confluence" skin wouldn't give me the tv episode plot synopsis so I downloaded the "hybrid" skin and it fixed the problem. See pic attached

Be careful playing with these tv boxes and XBMC is addictive. I still use my minix box which is less that 2 months old but I have already started to build my own home theatre PC ( htpc) box which to be honest at my level of computer literacy doesn't really perform any better than my minix x8 but it's a lot of fun fooling around with .

post-105221-0-31652100-1410598103_thumb.

I popped into Pantip on the way home from work last night and found a place selling the Neo X7. He quoted Bt 4,200.

Lazada has it at BT 3,790 with a 5-7 day delivery from Tokai Enterprise. They also have the X8-H at BT 4,790, but with an extra 10% discount this weekend, so Bt 4,311.

Is the X8-H worth the extra?

I think the X8-h is. It's a higher spec and minix's flagship android box with their latest tech. Support will be focused on it and even though the older models are still sold, this is the one they want you to buy so if bugs appear or software needs to be updated the x8 will get priority.

Aside from the higher spec I think there are more functions like 4k video support and Audio passthrough capabilities.etc. I understand the x7 is still an outstanding box but he x8 just has a few more bells and whistles. In my opinion the technology and programming are changing every day and what you buy today will most likely be obsolete in a couple of years so you'll have to upgrade anyway, so may as well get the highest spec you can if it's just a few hundred baht more.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi guys,

Just to let you know I bought the X8 yesterday on 3rd floor of Pantip Plaza (left as you go up the escalator).

Price: 2950 + 300 optional setup fee

They have a promotion this month where you get a free bluetooth headset for the same price. The build doesn't look too sturdy but the sound is pretty good and it's free.

I think it's a good deal.

Cheers

Pierre