Help! Please

Boy am I glad I found this place. I've been desperately trying to get an answer to a question of mine fore quite a while. If no one can help me, I don't know what I'll do.

I am an American citizen (M/23) who will be visiting Thailand this summer for pleasure only. I have been to Thailand before, but my trip this time is a little different. Basically, I am going to visit a friend in Hong Kong this summer as well, and rather than buy two round trip air tickets (one between the US and Bangkok, the other between the US and Hong Kong) I would just like to buy a round trip ticket between the US and Bangkok and another one between Bangkok and Hong Kong. Because travel between Thailand and Hong Kong is so cheap, I would just like to visit Hong Kong during my trip to Thailand, and then return to Thailand before my trip back to the US

I hope you can follow this scenario so far! If so, please keep reading.....

I plan on staying the entire 30 days that I am allowed in Thailand as an American citizen. I will be spending about 2 weeks in Hong Kong. Will I need to apply for a special visa (a transit visa, or extended tourist visa) in order to carry this out?

Overall, what will happen is that I will buy a round trip ticket between the US and Bangkok that is over my 30 day limit in Thailand (basically the 30 days plus the two weeks I am in hong kong for example: june1-july14th this is clearly more than 30 days, but I will be spending two weeks of it in Hong Kong) And I will buy a separate ticket between Hong Kong and Bangkok (say june 21-july5). Can I leave Bangkok for Hong Kong without any problem and then re-enter Thailand to go back to the United States? Also, when I enter Thailand the second time (after returning from Hong Kong) do I get a new 30 days in Thailand or do the days that I spent in Thailand before leaving for Hong Kong count against this 30 days? I know this might sound a little wordy or confusing, but I hope it makes at least a little sense. If none of you all can answer this question, could you direct me to someone who could?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer! Long Live Thailand!! I love the place..always have and always will!!

-RM

You get a 30 day entry permit on arrival provided you have a confirmed outbound airticket when you arrive. You do not, so get a Tourist visa before you come. When you return from Hong Kong, ensure that your stay does not exceed 30 days, and you have to count the days of arrival and departure as stay days. No problems ...

Long Live Thailand!! I love the place..always have and always will!!
you have to say this out loud at the embassy when they hand you your passport back with your new visa.
You do not, so get a Tourist visa before you come.

visa with 2 entries or mulitple entries, since you will enter thailand twice.

visa with 2 entries or mulitple entries, since you will enter thailand twice.

All he needs is a single entry tourist visa as the dr said: his second entry will be with outbound ticket in hand and travel booked so he can use a 30 day entry for that.

I really do appreciate your responses, but I still don't quite understand :o Sorry, I'm a little slow when it comes to these things!

Let me get this right....I need a "tourist visa" (the type of the second variety on this list, the one with the $25 entry fee)http://www.thaiembdc.org/consular/visa/visa.htm

If this is the correct visa, when do I need to present it at immigration? When I get to Thailand the first time or when I return to Thailand from Hong Kong, or both? Also, keep in mind that I will have e-tickets. I don't know if that changes anything....I don't think I will ever have a "ticket in hand" until check-in. Also, will I need to present my passport at immigration both times? When I return from hong kong, do I get another 30 days in Thailand or does the earlier time count against me?

I appreciate your help

-RM

You should not have to pay for a 30 day entry. My Mother came here a few years ago and the darned travel agents charged her $125, cause she wanted a visa to stay 35 days. It was rectified upon her return to the states. :o

Carry your e ticket information - most people are aware of how they work.

You obtain a single entry tourist visa and use it when you enter Thailand for the first time. Yes you show passport and get stamped for up to 60 day stay. When you depart Thailand for Hong Kong your visa is finished but when you return from Hong Kong and again present you passport you receive the normal 30 day stay stamp you asked about in your first post, but this time you will be leaving within the 30 days and there is proof of this in reservation computers if anyone wants to check.