US hopeful Thai military will show restraint

webfact

US hopeful Thai military will show restraint
by Shaun TANDON

WASHINGTON, May 13, 2014 (AFP) - The United States voiced confidence Tuesday that Thailand's military will not stage another coup as worries mount in Washington of prolonged turmoil in its oldest Asian ally.

Amy Searight, the top Pentagon official devoted to Southeast Asia, said the United States was "reasonably confident" that the Thai armed forces "will continue to be restrained and professional in all of this."

"At this point we don't have any reason to expect that the Thai military will change their current stance," she told a conference in Washington.

Searight said that the Thai military appeared to have learned lessons from 2006, when it overthrew tycoon Thaksin Shinawatra as prime minister and the United States briefly imposed sanctions.

Thailand's judiciary last week removed Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra -- Thaksin's sister -- in the latest twist in the deeply polarized nation's eight years of turmoil that has involved crippling street protests and occasional bloodshed.

Scot Marciel, the top State Department official on Southeast Asia, said that Washington was not offering a "US prescription" to resolve the crisis beyond urging a peaceful solution.

"It's important that it be done constitutionally and democratically and, of course, peacefully," Marciel said.

- Fears of a long crisis -

Ernie Bower, the Southeast Asia chair at the Center for Strategic and International Studies which held the conference, said that Thailand is undergoing "an existential 100-year power struggle."

"No matter what hopeful signs we're seeing, no matter which prime minister gets ousted in the near term, this struggle is not over until his succession takes place. We don't and should not expect resolution or stability in Thailand until that takes place," Bower said.

Bower added that the United States should remain steadfast in advocating democracy and human rights even if it faces short-term worries of losing ground to regional power China, which pleased the Thai military by swiftly accepting the 2006 coup.

"I think in the long run if we stick with those principles, we will find ourselves on the right side of history in Thailand, with the Thai people," Bower said.

- A 'drag' to region -

The crisis comes as US President Barack Obama pursues a "pivot" strategy of putting a greater focus on Asia in the face of concerns by several nations over China's rise.

Thailand was the first Asian ally of the United States, with the kingdom -- then known as Siam -- signing a friendship treaty with Washington in 1833 and famously offering elephants to president Abraham Lincoln to fight the Civil War.

Marciel and Searight both said that US cooperation with Thailand had largely progressed unhindered, with the exception of some work by government ministries closed by street protests. Cobra Gold -- the region's largest war exercises, which take place in Thailand among US-friendly nations -- went ahead in February.

But Vikram Singh, a key force behind the "pivot" who recently left the Pentagon and joined the Center for American Progress think tank, said that an intensified crisis would hurt the region as a whole even if Thailand and the United States succeed in preserving cooperation.

"If Thailand falters, I think it is going to be a powerful drag on the progress for Southeast Asia as a whole," he said.

afplogo.jpg
-- (c) Copyright AFP 2014-05-14

Cut off all aid to Thailand if their is a coup. Both military and civilian aid. The US doesn't need Thailand they have the Philippines and who knows maybe Vietnam would love to give the US it's old bases back which would really upset Red China.

Free speach allows a fool to say what he feels

This in return shows the people who are real idiots

Very true.

I used to believe that he was writing on behalf of Amsterdam & Peroff, but now I realize that it would be required to have certain level and category in order to work for such a prestigious lobbying firm.

Cut off all aid to Thailand if their is a coup. Both military and civilian aid. The US doesn't need Thailand they have the Philippines and who knows maybe Vietnam would love to give the US it's old bases back which would really upset Red China.

That would push Thailand more into China's sphere of influence - not in USA interest so it will not happen.

The driving force behind this statement is USA interest in the region.

It is nice to receive advice from a country that never uses its military power to further its own political and economic interests.

Name me a time that the US turned its military on its own people to establish a government suitable to the military.

Name me the last coup inside the US, much less one led by the military.

Name me the last time that the US military decided to overthrow the existing federal government.

When the US military did become involved (ie Civil War 150 years ago) it was at the direction of Congress and the President who stayed in power and in command of the military.

In the US the POTUS is the Chief Commander of all of the military. There are no independent loose cannons to start a coup.

And the retired generals don't try to sabotage the sitting government (like Suthep's bosses).

And they're not as wealthy as the Thai generals (I wonder why).

So they have to write a book or appear on CNN / FOX to supplement their retirement income. smile.png

• Like 2

It is nice to receive advice from a country that never uses its military power to further its own political and economic interests.

Name me a time that the US turned its military on its own people to establish a government suitable to the military.

Name me the last time that the US military decided to overthrow the existing federal government.

When the US military did become involved (ie Civil War 150 years ago) it was at the direction of Congress and the President who stayed in power and in command of the military.

In the US the POTUS is the Chief Commander of all of the military. There are no independent loose cannons to start a coup.

Name me a single attack with bombs to US citizens in US territory that has not been investigated and prosecuted with all the available resources of the police.

In Thailand the Police is not protecting the citizens from the continuous terrorist attacks to Children, Hospitals, Universities, Courts, Houses of politicians and lawyers, etc... that is why the army may have to intervene if the situation becomes too dangerous. Do not call it a coup!!

I believe 'issanaus' was being sarcastic as the US is known to hit beehives all over the globe for their own interests. Completely no relationship to Thailand's internal struggle.

Just don't touch our oil exploration agreements we made under Uncle T's watch.

• Like 1

Not internaly

We are not talking about USA internal politics - we are talking about the relationship between USA and other countries - Thailand. USA is rattling some of the old cold war rhetoric ( not without some justification). In this environment Thailand is just one part of the picture. It fears Russian expansion and the growth of Chinese economic growth that could one day allow it to challenge the USA as the "super power".

• Like 1

Do the seppos realize how offensive their hypocritical twaddle is? Their military has torn the world apart, primarily for selfish reasons, and they have the gall to advise a sovereign nation on the opposite side of the world to show restraint?

It sounds like 'twaddle' is your area of expertise. It certainly isn't world history.

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Free speach allows a fool to say what he feels

This in return shows the people who are real idiots

You are living proof of this.

Mango Bob - you got a just response to your stupid statement, one of the most idiotic I've seen on TV for some time - How would cutting off aid be of benefit to anyone

Take it on the chin and move on

Further although I don't approve of the military stepping in sometimes these things are the only way to hit the reset button, also I don't regard a military coup in Thailand the same thing as some crackpot General in Africa chasing a dictatorship rule - in Thailand it's more like preserving society when it all breaks down with no way back - the blame is firmly with PTP in this case - no other and we all know why

• Like 1

Not internaly

We are not talking about USA internal politics - we are talking about the relationship between USA and other countries - Thailand. USA is rattling some of the old cold war rhetoric ( not without some justification). In this environment Thailand is just one part of the picture. It fears Russian expansion and the growth of Chinese economic growth that could one day allow it to challenge the USA as the "super power".

The reply was in response to

"It is nice to receive advice from a country that never uses its military power to further its own political and economic interests."

I take it as sarcasm,

My reply is that the US never , and for good reason, uses it's military for internal issues, and as such is perfectly qualified to advise others no to do so also.

​Now if the US was to advise other countries not to use their military for external political or economic interests, I would have to agree that the US would not have the moral high ground to do so.

But such is not the case here.

Ridiculous US with their greedy global interests!! Why don't they ask the terrorists to show restraint?

Dude, I'm with you! When I'm elected President, my first executive order will be to bring all troops back to the US of A. Russia stomps the crap out of Ukraine? Well, that's a shame, but we will sell ammunition to both sides. Cash on delivery please. The chubby boy in North Korea lobs a nuke some where? Aw shucks, lucky it wasn't us.

About asking the terrorists to stand down, you can handle that one right?

Now lets all join hands and sing Kumbaya thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

With a gay muslim, nobody seems to know where he came from, in the WH and the Mekhong river "boat hero" Kerry hahaha sure we are qualified to give advise to other countries.

Commander in chief of the boy scouts qualified, the guy who lost his law license because of PERJURY and his wife turned hers in 5 sec before she was disbarred for fraud, hahaha I see an american fool who wrote this story. The civil war is coming soon to America

Edited by BlueSkyCowboy

was not offering a "US prescription" to resolve the crisis

right. No solution.

Rest assure, if this stalemate continues, if both chosen main political parties not sit down and find a way out. Militairy needs to intervene. For the sake of the people. It is the largest part of the populus, be it formerly red, formerly yellow, that is fed up with the bloodshed and bickering.

Further although I don't approve of the military stepping in sometimes these things are the only way to hit the reset button, also I don't regard a military coup in Thailand the same thing as some crackpot General in Africa chasing a dictatorship rule - in Thailand it's more like preserving society when it all breaks down with no way back - the blame is firmly with PTP in this case - no other and we all know why

post-52815-0-89509000-1400037139_thumb.j

19 resets are quite a lot, really.

• Like 1

One can go back in the history of the US and see that their case for restraint is hypocritical, however China is no saint and we had an envoy mashing he's gums about what Thailand should do, conveniently forgetting about the large protest in HK last w/end over the imprisonment of a critic of the government in Beijing, China's track record is atrocious , the US has been a good friend of Thailand for some time hence the elephant logo on the Democrat party letter heads, I don't think it hurts to say something , so long as everyone learns from the experience , lets be frank, the red shirt episode in 2010 and Sutheps protest would not be tolerated in the west with harsh measures for control , thank god for small mercy's and General Prayuth"s stamina. coffee1.gif

I would disagree that USA Government has the moral authority and that is not bashing Americans because there are many historical instances of USA administration utilising military organisations within countries to achieve American policy goal. BTW the same could be said of many other countries.

Personally I am opposed to military or political dictatorships and would prefer to see a political settlement in Thailand. The problem when people talk about a military coup in Thailand in 2014 is what they actually mean, The military has done more than any other organisation to avoid taking sides and to try and promote meaningful dialog.

The problem is not the military but 2 camps of self interested and self serving political groupings, a politicisation of the police rampant corruption and a selective regard for the constitution and courts. The country and people are being held hostage to the minority on both sides. Based on what has happened so far the army should not be the target of comments - the political ratbags should be.

to make the statements that they are "reported

Not internaly

In a few short years China will surpass the US economically and militarily. Russia does not seem to have the industrial capacity to be a super power at this time

The US does not use its military to solve its political differences, and that's what it's hoping the Thai military won't do.

The US is Thailand's #1 trading partner and the biggest buyer of Thailand's (and China's) exports. Even bigger than all of the EU.

The US has a defense treaty with Thailand and must come to its aid if needed. The US sells Thailand military hardware and has joint training exercises with Thailand. The US gives monetary and military aid to Thailand.

The US cares about Thailand and hopes there will be a democratic solution and not a military one, and it said so.

What's wrong with that?

They also have a huge amount invested in a certain Dubai resident and require the status quo regard the Chinese question. There is much self interest.

The U.S. really does not care about the details or that what may work in the U.S. doesn't necessarily work in other places.

Given that you can be arrested without charge by the U.S. miltary and detained indefinitely without a trial, without your family being notified, as stipulated by the National Security Protection Act signed in 2012 and amended and signed again in 2014, they have zero basis to be recommending anyone about how to run a "democracy."

• Like 1