If you have online buisness wouldn't you also need work permit if running in Thailand?

Strangebrew

link to the other thread please?

This is the discussion with the young American fellow, who has been abusing the 30 day entry, is not a tourist, is running an online business whilst his arse (ass if you're American) is parked here in the Kingdom,.. and not paying any tax. The topic was closed before I had a chance to tell him that I hope he get's caught and screwed,

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/725758-so-can-i-stay-in-thailand/?utm_source=newsletter-20140514-0758&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=featured

Private message him. Just joking..

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is work ????

If I go to Bo Bae and have some shirts made to sell at home is that working ?

if I buy them off a street stall is that working ?

the first one is hiring a Thai to do something , the 2nd is just buying something like going to Tesco

I think there is a lot of grey area......

and what about all the exhibitors at trade shows at Bitec etc , do they need a work permit if they work the companies booth at a trade show ?

I have no idea , but I would never admit I "worked" if I was on a tourist visa

What is work ?

What ever the DOL/Immigration, and if you end up in court, the judge, deems to be working.....if you get caught doing what ever it is your doing, in the first instance the official will interpret whether they believe you were working, if it does end up in court, the Judge will tell you if you were working..

But in IMHO the only one in your list which could meet the interpretation of work is your last example and in case like this, one suspects the "sponsoring" Thai entity fro the trade show could organize temporary WP's, good for 14 days for this purpose.

Typical BS from Soutpeel. We have many threads in Thaivisa about online work. Even the law firms say, it is a grey area and immigration officials are not interested on arresting online workers. You simply cannot get a work permit for online work. Period. If the customers and the money are earned outside of Thailand, they are not interested.

Soutpeel has been commenting total BS on similar threads many times. I don't know what is his problem with this but he always shows up with his scaremongering BS in these threads. Even wishes for jail time for those online workers! Really a piece of work! Crackdown threads is his another specialty.

Many people have tried to get work permit by going to the immigration and/or labour ministry and explained their situation. The answer has been always the same, they are not interested unless you have Thai customers or selling stuff to Thais via Ebay with merchandise at your home. In any case, you need to employ 4 Thais and you cannot even own the majority of the shares of your own company, if you want a work permit.

From their point of view, an online worker is not competing directly with Thais and bringing money to Thailand anyway. Win-win for both parties. Same as any farang spending his savings here except your savings are replenished abroad. Same same but different smile.png !

Per the quoted articles Just for emphasis: I have highlighted the names and positions who made these statements, and their relevant quotes just in case your are hard of reading or don't know how to open a link

http://legacy.phuketgazette.net/issuesanswers/details.asp?id=1175

http://legacy.phuketgazette.net/issuesanswers/details.asp?id=180

Sunbelt Asia - Posted 2011-06-22 10:38:21

"Working from home without a work permit is illegal"

1. Pol Col Panuwat Ruamrak, Superintendent of Phuket Immigration:

"If we find out that a foreigner is doing business online without a work permit, we will arrest them and take legal action through the court"

2. Somkiat Baiadul, an officer at the work permit division of the Phuket Department of Employment

“Doing business online is considered a type of work, so foreigners are required to have a work permit to do so"

3. Phuket Provincial Employment Services Office

Question: I am a commodity trader and use the Internet for my work. My financial dealings are conducted in Australia. I am thinking of coming to Thailand to stay for short time – about three months. My question is, can I still do my trading via the Internet in Thailand without breaking any laws? Theoretically, I shan't be working in Thailand.

Answer To do any work in Thailand you must either set up a company or partnership and apply for a work prmit, or find someone willing to employ you and to apply for a work permit for you. Otherwise you will be working illegally.We suggest that you do not work during your three-month stay in Phuket

Now may I humble you take a trip to Phuket, find the above mentioned people and tell them like Soutpeel, they are talking BS

Now toddle off my little friend and troll someone else....wai2.gif

Well that's about as clear and concise as can be. Well done, Soutpeel. I can't believe this Timwin character is still arguing otherwise. I'd hate to be the poor bloke that takes his advice and ends up in a world of sh*t. Why people pretend to not understand the law is beyond me.

In reality to refers to physical work, where payments are taken in Thailand.

If this is true, why are volunteers required to have a WP....no payments/salaries involved ?

why during the Tsunami, people volunteering to help where told they had to get a WP - Very very wrong on so many levels I know, considering what had happened, but none the less they were told they needed them

and as a last point, can you show me in the labor act the paragraph that mentions "refers to physical work, where payments are taken in Thailand"....I will save you some time looking...it doesn't

Regarding the volunteering thing, yes, laws sometimes have unintended consequences. But can you imagine if they allowed people to do "voluntary" work for no pay without a work permit? Foreigners--and not just farangs--would be flocking to Thailand to do "voluntary" work while getting paid under the table. Just for starters.

It's all about tax residence. If you RESIDE in a tax jurisdiction then you should be paying tax on ALL income derived in that jurisdiction and from any overseas sources. Usually it's residence of 180 days or more (each country has a different definition of residence so it may be more days or maybe less).

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

From HMRC.(UK Tax Office)

Thank you for your letter of 30 May, please accept my apologies for the delay in replying.
I note the information you have supplied and can comment as follows.
Domicile is a mater of general law: not a tax law. Unless you have very complicated tax
affairs or decide to live abroad permanently, it is unlikely that this aspect will need to be
taken'into account.
HMRC will try to collect the tax due on your state pension via a restriction in the code
number which operates against your other pension. lf this is not possible any balance will be
collected via your Self Assessment You should be able to still file online whilst you are here
in the UK.
Please be aware if you decide to live abroad permanently, that if you have income from a
source in one country and are resident in another, you may be liable to pay tax in both
countries under their tax laws.
To avoid "double taxation" in this situation, t[e UK has negotiated Double Taxation (DT)
treaties with more than 100 other countries. Each treaty is called either a 'Double Taxation
Agreement" or a "Double Taxation Convention', depending on the wording of the treaty. The
United Kingdom does have a DTA with Thailand and this can be viewed in full on the
website.
lf you wish to discuss matters further, you can speak to a technician in our HMRC call
centre or seek professional advice. Also, residence and domicile is covered extensively in
the HMRC booklet HMRC 6 which can be found on the HMRC website, the address of which
is shown above

I employ an American guy to do web work for me. He is based in Thailand and has a Thai as well as a Singaporean entity for work he does outside of Thailand. It keeps him legit here.

His biggest issue was finding a good accountant who knew the ropes to keep his company and work permit status all sweet, but once that was done things went tickety boo for him.

Running a company does take up time on the admin side, and even though I am a Thai citizen and have a Thai registered company i still spend a day or so per week just purely on admin stuff. I still need to employ an accountant.

But that is part and parcel if running a company anywhere. I also have a HK offshore entity and HK has its own quirks on compliance.

But you know what, if you are going to run an even half serious business with multiple clients a company structure is the way to go.

Clients appreciate it. And it protects you on the liability front.

At the end of the day, as anyone who has spent anytime in Thailand knows, or who has read enough of this forum, the one thing that is abundantly clear is that what the law states, what the regulations require, actually doesnt matter one bit !

What matters is WHO it is that chooses to enforce it, and WHAT they interpret it to mean, you can quote this and that but unless you speak fluent Thai, and have the money to back it up at a later point, you are going to be in the shit ! All be it initially but you will be in trouble. No smart answer or attitude is going to disuade an Officer if he/she had it in mind to throw you in jail whilst it gets sorted out.Technically you are wrong how it ends usually involves money, that you can be certain of!

In my humble opinion of course.

link to the other thread please?

This is the discussion with the young American fellow, who has been abusing the 30 day entry, is not a tourist, is running an online business whilst his arse (ass if you're American) is parked here in the Kingdom,.. and not paying any tax. The topic was closed before I had a chance to tell him that I hope he get's caught and screwed,

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/725758-so-can-i-stay-in-thailand/?utm_source=newsletter-20140514-0758&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=featured

Thanks, haven't gotten round to reading it yet so don't know the specifics. I will say though that Thailand certainly doesn't make it easy for online entrepreneurs to work here. Even Thai startups now often register abroad. http://www.techinasia.com/successful-startup-settle-thailand-register-company/

People should follow the law, but the law should not put insurmountable barriers up. Anyway, thanks again for the link!

Hilarious, it looks like the laws in Thailand are designed to descourage innovation. Singapores gain I guess.

Maybe this is why the list of technologican advances / innovations from Thailand isn't so long.

Yes, ukrules, bound with the Thai students' inability to ask questions in class, in fact they're discouraged from interrupting with questions, the faculty of inquiry is seriously retarded. Inquiry is the substance of research! (Deep sigh ..) No Thai, to my knowledge, has ever even been nominated for a Nobel Prize, let alone win one. A Thai farmer's uni student daughter who had heard about the prize thought that her dad should win it. It took some time to explain to her that being "outstanding in your field" is not the same as standing out in your field. (Quoting myself from a previous thread.)

• Like 1

yes, you do, but there may be a loophole if your e-commerce site, or whatever, is hosted in another country, and you get paid into a bank account in another country. hey, ask a lawyer.

Why do people keep posting this rubbish...in terms of the labour act, as regards the definition of "work", where one gets paid or how one gets paid, or even if some gets paid has absolutely nothing to do with the definition of "work" in Thailand

Further a lawyer will only give you an opinion as to whether its legal or not....An OPINION, go an ask them to put it in writing and see what happens

"Legal firm XYZ do declare person XXXXXXX passport number XXXXXX does not need a Thai work permit to do what they are doing in Thailand"

• Like 1

Why do people insist on quoting this or that, loopholes ways around, its all crap and meand NOTHING to the actual person stood in front of you carting you off to a cell if she or he BELIEVES there to be an infringement.

You can argue all you like on your way to jail IF thats what he or she wants to do.

Yes you can argue LATER, if you have money and a good solicitor that works for you and not his bank balance.

Try to be a smart arse and cannot speak Thai and you could end up facing the working end of a Baton or revolver.

STOP playing games and think you can talk your way out of it, initially NO CHANCE later possibly, but ultimately its who you deal with.

It all depends where the money has been accepted, if in the US then tax there, if in Thailand than work permit and tax here.

Remember many people come here for vacation etc. they answer business emails while they are here and it isn't illegal yet they are still doing work of sorts, running an online business from Thailand doesn't need a work permit if all the legalities are in another country, but that countries legalities will need to be dealt with.

Its a grey area for sure and all these idiots saying open a company employ 4 thais and get a work permit are ridiculous because someone may only be making 60,000 baht a month more than enough to love comfortably here in Thailand but not enough to cover all the costs associated with opening a company employing 4 thais and paying the fees associated.

Like I said its a very grey area that Thailand has not considered since its still fairly new.

Someone who logs on and does some work online which is based in UK USA or any other country and then takes the money there but lives in Thailand how can they be considered working in Thailand.

Simple answer to this MAKE IT EASY FOR PEOPLE TO BECOME LEGAL

Cambodia does

Simple solution is to go to freakin Cambodia and be legal. Why do people want to come to Thailand and try to change the laws for their own personal benefit? These people should know what the laws are coming in and if they have a problem with that, go somewhere else.

I guess the same reason American blacks in the fifties went ahead and used the white only drinking fountain, and sat at the front of the bus, despite laws that said they couldn't. Laws are not always right.

Does any reasonable person believe someone working out of their home, only online, with a business only in America, and all funds staying in America, should have to hire four Thai employees? To do what?

Maybe some people are just jealous they don't have a profitable online presence.

Self-righteous also comes to mind.

• Like 2

Simple solution is to go to freakin Cambodia and be legal. Why do people want to come to Thailand and try to change the laws for their own personal benefit? These people should know what the laws are coming in and if they have a problem with that, go somewhere else.

I guess the same reason American blacks in the fifties went ahead and used the white only drinking fountain, and sat at the front of the bus, despite laws that said they couldn't. Laws are not always right.

Does any reasonable person believe someone working out of their home, only online, with a business only in America, and all funds staying in America, should have to hire four Thai employees? To do what?

Maybe some people are just jealous they don't have a profitable online presence.

You have got to be kidding. You're comparing "Americans" in America wanting basic human rights, to foreigners in Thailand trying to skirt around the system for monetary benefit? I'd love to have an intelligent debate with you, but please get a clue.

• Like 2

An unjust law is an unjust law, regardless of race or creed or nationality. And I consider the right to earn a living a basic human right, because it's what puts food on the table.

The reason Thailand requires work permits of foreigners is to protect jobs for Thais who can do that particular, specific job. Which is good, and something the U.S. could learn from. But be real, what Thai is losing his job by Joe Smith trading futures by internet, or drafting houses for an architect back in the States, or working as a consulting engineer for a California based company? I know a guy here who designs websites for Fortune 100 companies, something that took him years to achieve. Do you really think he's taking someone's job in Khon Kaen?

• Like 2

An unjust law is an unjust law, regardless of race or creed or nationality. And I consider the right to earn a living a basic human right, because it's what puts food on the table.

The reason Thailand requires work permits of foreigners is to protect jobs for Thais who can do that particular, specific job. Which is good, and something the U.S. could learn from. But be real, what Thai is losing his job by Joe Smith trading futures by internet, or drafting houses for an architect back in the States, or working as a consulting engineer for a California based company? I know a guy here who designs websites for Fortune 100 companies, something that took him years to achieve. Do you really think he's taking someone's job in Khon Kaen?

He's the exception, not the rule...

Most farangs are not doing anything as highly qualified as that

What type of visa does he hold ?

I don't know what kind of visa he has. And I don't approve of foreigners taking away jobs from Thais who could do that same job.

I replied to Berkshire because he, among others here on TV, feels Thailand is perfect and everyone should leave (in this case, "go to freakin Cambodia") if they don't like it here.

This is not logical.

I don't know what kind of visa he has. And I don't approve of foreigners taking away jobs from Thais who could do that same job.

I replied to Berkshire because he, among others here on TV, feels Thailand is perfect and everyone should leave (in this case, "go to freakin Cambodia") if they don't like it here.

This is not logical.

If he is working for Fortune 500 firms he should have a company to minimise liability. You are right in that he isn't taking jobs but ideally Thailand d would like people here who are also in the business of training people up.

If he is based here why doesn't he open a company under the treaty of amity? That would keep him more than above board.

Edited by samran

This is not logical.

If he is working for Fortune 500 firms he should have a company to minimise liability. You are right in that he isn't taking jobs but ideally Thailand d would like people here who are also in the business of training people up.

If he is based here why doesn't he open a company under the treaty of amity? That would keep him more than above board.

As I understand it, his company is an LLC based in the U.S. He has no employees there or here. He has no reason to train anyone. I don't think "based here" applies. He comes and goes and works from many countries. He spends two or three months in Thailand each year.

It's not my concern, so I don't know about why he doesn't set up under the amity treaty. Probably he just doesn't care to go through the hassle for what he does. I wouldn't either.

Which I guess is my point; it's just not anyone's business unless he's taking jobs from Thais, and he's obviously not. Thailand should be thankful that he spends a lot of money here, and puts food on the tables of lots of Thai merchants.

Some posters here (not you Samran) just seem to get off on judging everyone else. Nitpicking to death. It gets old. Live and let live.

• Like 1

As I understand it, his company is an LLC based in the U.S. He has no employees there or here. He has no reason to train anyone. I don't think "based here" applies. He comes and goes and works from many countries. He spends two or three months in Thailand each year.

It's not my concern, so I don't know about why he doesn't set up under the amity treaty. Probably he just doesn't care to go through the hassle for what he does. I wouldn't either.

Which I guess is my point; it's just not anyone's business unless he's taking jobs from Thais, and he's obviously not. Thailand should be thankful that he spends a lot of money here, and puts food on the tables of lots of Thai merchants.

Some posters here (not you Samran) just seem to get off on judging everyone else. Nitpicking to death. It gets old. Live and let live.

Oi!! I'm as judgemental and nickpickety as the best of them.... wink.png

There is a fine line. If you are here full time, then yep, probably having a Thai entity is the way to go just to support yourself with the WP etc. Your mates example probably doesn't fall into that category. What people blame on Thailand (lack of a 'box' they can easily fit themselves into) is simply a result of globalisation. I'd like to spend 6 months a year in France. Can I as a non-EU citizen? No, not without excessive paperwork.

I certainly have a non-Thai entity in HK for all the work I do outside of Thailand and one for what I do in Thailand. My clients are everywhere too. People bitch and moan about bureacracy and cost - but it is everywhere and part and parcel of owning a company. And when you are small, it is particularly painful sometimes, but in my opinion, highly necessary. I've just fininshed a 10 page compliance document from HSBC in HK for my business there. They already rejected my answers once.

In many ways, Thailand is easier, but given that many here are quoting from their barstools and have never run a business in their life (similarly, not you) they just cast stones.

Edited by samran
  • Like 2

It all depends where the money has been accepted, if in the US then tax there, if in Thailand than work permit and tax here.

Remember many people come here for vacation etc. they answer business emails while they are here and it isn't illegal yet they are still doing work of sorts, running an online business from Thailand doesn't need a work permit if all the legalities are in another country, but that countries legalities will need to be dealt with.

Its a grey area for sure and all these idiots saying open a company employ 4 thais and get a work permit are ridiculous because someone may only be making 60,000 baht a month more than enough to love comfortably here in Thailand but not enough to cover all the costs associated with opening a company employing 4 thais and paying the fees associated.

Like I said its a very grey area that Thailand has not considered since its still fairly new.

Someone who logs on and does some work online which is based in UK USA or any other country and then takes the money there but lives in Thailand how can they be considered working in Thailand.

Simple answer to this MAKE IT EASY FOR PEOPLE TO BECOME LEGAL

Cambodia does

Er this is not a very good example simply because although American Blacks were disadvantaged by Law, I do believe they were actually citizens of the US, granted "2nd class citizens" but they where American citizens none the less...wink.png

But the vast majority of farangs are simply tourists/long term tourists who have no "legal standing" in Thailand

However if you really believe the Thai laws are so unjust why don't you petition the UN commission for human rights, or at the very least take a trip to the parliament building in BKK and burn your bra

Ok another scenario, when your getting your visa at the airport (assuming tourist 30 day visa), and they ask you what is the purpose of your visit. If you say "Business". do they require you to have a work permit before allowing you entry. If not are not customs aiding and assisting an offender ?

No but to be completely fully "legal" you would require a Non-imm B....Someone who is entering Thailand to explore business possibilities working with Thai companies etc would only initially need an Non-imm B, a WP is not required, but saying that some of the big MNC's/Thai companies in cases like this do arrange a temporary WP (14 day) for the person, so there is no argument, its free and typically you have get one in 24 hours, its a letter, not the blue book.

Sorry your either legal or your not. I have never heard of "fully legal". Sorry Officer its 3.5% legal and 96.5% illegal.

I think you have the wrong end of the stick with what is considered work and what is considered carry on a business, based outside of Thailand. By your definition, you automatically commit a crime unless you have Non-Imm B Visa.

Of course we are talking hypothetically here, because I cannot see anyone being arrested for not having a work permit, for replying to an email at the airport, regarding a transaction.

Regarding the comment above that if no jobs are taken from Thai citizens it isn't anyone's business what they do, I guess the Thai government would disagree -- Investing in online / software business is a priority in Thailand and to let persons operate without making the requisite investments provides a dis-incentive for others to do so.

seems like there are a lot of despicable grassing types on here. disgusting - yuk. only a complete jerk would be interested in someone else who was running an online business. and if they need to ask (such as the knucklehead OP) then obviously they are retarded also.

The OP asked a legitimate question. And in fact, a foreigner running an online business in Thailand without a work permit is breaking the law. The fact that you disagree with the law is irrelevant. I suppose there are people--under the guise of "privacy"--who think it's ok for some guy to watch child porn in the privacy of his home. But it doesn't matter if you or anyone else thinks it's ok, it's still illegal. That's the point. Not whether anyone "is interested in someone else who was running an online business." I could give a hoot.

• Like 1

Regarding the comment above that if no jobs are taken from Thai citizens it isn't anyone's business what they do, I guess the Thai government would disagree -- Investing in online / software business is a priority in Thailand and to let persons operate without making the requisite investments provides a dis-incentive for others to do so.

Using this logic one could suggest them that people setting up a Boiler Room business' in Thailand are ok then...they are not talking jobs off Thai citizens either they are operating "on-line" as well.

Using this logic one could suggest them that people setting up a Boiler Room business' in Thailand are ok then...they are not talking jobs off Thai citizens either they are operating "on-line" as well.

BOI supports call center operations. I am just trying to decipher the policies as they are today and I don't believe the Thai Government really cares that persons such as yourself don't care to see the logic in it.

The Thai government wants to support projects that enhance the Thai computer / online services industry. Someone saying well I don't take any jobs away from Thai citizens is moot; You also don't add anything to the Thai established Thai policy objectives.

Edited by JLCrab

You have got to be kidding. You're comparing "Americans" in America wanting basic human rights, to foreigners in Thailand trying to skirt around the system for monetary benefit? I'd love to have an intelligent debate with you, but please get a clue.

You have to be intelligent to do that mate and I am not sure you qualify whistling.gif

• Like 1