Foodland Opening on Thepprasit

JimSiam

Spoke to one of the owners at the annual dinner party. He said they already have the land (you can see the sign on Theprasit) but they're being cautious, watching the political and economic situation in Thailand. The company is very well run by a conservative family so it's not surprising they're going to wait until all signals are green before proceeding. Once they decide to do so, I would guess they could put up a building and open in 6 or 9 months. I've seen different companies start and complete buildings in less time when they have the money and the plans. Foodland would most likely follow the layout they've used for all of their markets throughout Thailand and, thus, should be able to get it done quickly. I only hope they go ahead with the plan eventually. Great company, enjoy the food bar a lot.

And of course they realise that another Foodland will impact the current Foodland's profit margin. I think Foodland is a place people will go out of their way to visit.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know the owner of the land.

He is the same person who had the restaurant there before.

20 rai of land and he had been offered 400 million baht wich he had refused.

Anyone know how much Foodland paied?

He refused nearly $13 million?

I've had to handle wrong pricing situations at Big C several times in the past, and it's a horrible task. It can also be a real pain to find the price if there's no price card on the shelf . Not many stores have price stickers on items these days and I love that.

On Sukumvit BigC have several scanning POS terminals dotted around the store for the use of customers. Just scan the barcode on your item and the price and description will be displayed instantly.

I'm only aware of one such price scanner at the old Carrefour, and it's a big store. They could put 4 more in there but it wouldn't make shopping any less unpleasant. IMO Big C Sukhumvit is one of the worst supermarkets in Pattaya.

Yes they have some scanners. But frankly, if i want to go shopping, i don't want wandering around with some products to scanning them. That's not my job. The other thing; They have 700 000 lanes, but only 2 are occupied. I'm not patient enough to wait that long time. Rather i take a longer ride to my preferred shop, take my items and go out in no time.

I just went to Big C Klang a few days ago. Unbelievable; but the same sausages which also get sold by 7/11 (CP) are at least 50% more expensive.

He refused nearly $13 million?

Yes prices around Thepprasit is now 25-35 million a rai.

Should have invested in land here some years ago.

Spoke to one of the owners at the annual dinner party. He said they already have the land (you can see the sign on Theprasit) but they're being cautious, watching the political and economic situation in Thailand. The company is very well run by a conservative family so it's not surprising they're going to wait until all signals are green before proceeding. Once they decide to do so, I would guess they could put up a building and open in 6 or 9 months. I've seen different companies start and complete buildings in less time when they have the money and the plans. Foodland would most likely follow the layout they've used for all of their markets throughout Thailand and, thus, should be able to get it done quickly. I only hope they go ahead with the plan eventually. Great company, enjoy the food bar a lot.

I was hoping for some good news. Please let us know if and when you hear something.

Told you it would be 2016.

Another indication that the current situation in Thailand is NOT as rosy as some members on this forum want us to believe.

I'm only aware of one such price scanner at the old Carrefour, and it's a big store. They could put 4 more in there but it wouldn't make shopping any less unpleasant. IMO Big C Sukhumvit is one of the worst supermarkets in Pattaya.

For what it's worth I counted 7 scanners an hour ago, all fairly well signposted. There may even be more.

I like both BigC Sukumvit and the nearby Tesco as they are both a very easy drive for me. Between the two of them, and Makro which is also nearby, they have nearly everything I regularly buy.

Otherwise there are just a few things I only ever see in Tops (like imported strong organic bread flour).

I've never taken to TOPs in BKK or Pattaya. But it has to be said the Pattaya store at 2nd Road and Klang is not worth the trip, even if I'm walking by. The one in Central Plaza Rama 9 in BKK is the nicest one and occasionally has the Johnson's Corn Starch Powder I like to have.

For what it's worth I counted 7 scanners an hour ago, all fairly well signposted. There may even be more.

I like both BigC Sukumvit and the nearby Tesco as they are both a very easy drive for me. Between the two of them, and Makro which is also nearby, they have nearly everything I regularly buy.

Otherwise there are just a few things I only ever see in Tops (like imported strong organic bread flour).

You went around the store looking for scanners?

There was only one last time I looked, but that was awhile ago. Perhaps they've been having too many complaints about prices and installed more.

Either way, I don't like any of the stores you shop at and they can install a dozen more scanners for all I care - they're still horrible places to shop.

No, I was shopping and kept my eyes open. It doesn't seem either hard or unusual to me.

Come on. People wouldn't notice scanners unless they were out looking for them. Most people wouldn't even be aware of their existence unless a staff member pointed one out.

No, I was shopping and kept my eyes open. It doesn't seem either hard or unusual to me.

Come on. People wouldn't notice scanners unless they were out looking for them. Most people wouldn't even be aware of their existence unless a staff member pointed one out.

Price scanners at Big C are am estimated 50 x 80 cm and have video and quite loud audio playing on them.

In addition they have a big blue arrow above them that can be seen from the other side of the store.

Hard to miss them I would say.

Price scanners at Big C are am estimated 50 x 80 cm and have video and quite loud audio playing on them.

In addition they have a big blue arrow above them that can be seen from the other side of the store.

Hard to miss them I would say.

What has this to do with Foodland opening?????

• 7 months later...

After months of nothing but a coming soon sign, I see there is large plastic Foodland sign that has recently been placed on the site, Good news, I hope.

Let's hope soon, because the nearby Food Mart staff nearby are miserable.

I get the feeling that all those customers are ruining their nice quiet afternoon. They will be pleased when all their customers go elsewhere I'm sure.

After months of nothing but a coming soon sign, I see there is large plastic Foodland sign that has recently been placed on the site, Good news, I hope.

I get the feeling that all those customers are ruining their nice quiet afternoon. They will be pleased when all their customers go elsewhere I'm sure.

Maybe the boss not nice to staff ?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Foodland will be a welcome addition to this area. When I shop, Foodland and Big C Extra are my first choices. Their friendliness and inventory control are superior to the competition. I am ready to give up on the Big C and Tesco on Sukumwit, just terrible inventory control, how can you possibly be out of butter and milk?

They have the same problem here in Chonburi city, I complained to a manager one day and she just kept smiling and saying so sorry. They run out of eggs, milk, bread, cereal, I have tried going on different days and times. Saturday evening seems to be a good time not sure why. Went on a Sunday night once the place was a mad house.

Seems like Tesco is like America's Target. Big C is like Walmart.

Food Mart must be making a hell of a lot of profit, the store is often bursting at the seams. It will be good for all of us Jomtienians when Foodland with it's professional history, choice and chraper pricing opens.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Food Mart must be making a hell of a lot of profit, the store is often bursting at the seams. It will be good for all of us Jomtienians when Foodland with it's professional history, choice and chraper pricing opens.

Thepprasit branch will open by the end of the year, as I was informed by senior staff of Foodland yesterday. Look out FoodMart. Ha! ha! ha!, You have BEEN OVER PRICING FOR YEARS, Oh! Foodland are looking for staff to be trained now for the new branch.

It's been 13 months since this thread opened and the site remains exactly

the same with no evidence of any progress.

I really hope they do open, but with only 6 months remaining in this year i

just can't see it happening in that time frame.

Well if they can build condos here within 24 months using cheap material and labor I am sure Foodland can be built within 6 months,

They built a 7/11 in Ban Chang from the ground up to open in 3 weeks - why so slow in Pattayalaugh.png

Well if they can build condos here within 24 months using cheap material and labor I am sure Foodland can be built within 6 months,

They built a 7/11 in Ban Chang from the ground up to open in 3 weeks - why so slow in Pattayalaugh.png

Because they are competing for labor from all the useless condo building in Jomtien and Pattaya

Archived