Foodland Opening on Thepprasit

JimSiam

post-65047-0-95638600-1400312939_thumb.jpost-65047-0-93171100-1400312968_thumb.j

From the looks of the site, it should state Foodland coming in a few years

hopefully by 2016.

Why so? Standalone Supermarket buildings are quick to construct - there's not much to them. I'm really looking forward to this, I hope we don't have to wait 2 years.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Foodland is my No. 1 supermarket. I've said this before that I've compared prices with Big C and Villa on a basket of common products and Foodland was cheaper. Big C was the most expensive. Foodland also has very good specials on the kinds of things you would buy regularly.

I also agree with others the service at Foodland is far superior to anything in Pattaya/Jomtien. Looks like they have a good training program and pretty good inventory control too, unlike the laughable Big C and Tesco.

There's nothing in Pattaya that comes even close to the service at Foodland (2nd place Friendship). It's the only place that checks out the items so quickly that I can't keep an eye on them. If they see too many people waiting they actually open new checkout lines, unlike Big C that likes to close them down even when they're busy.

It's not only training. Have you not noticed the same staff working there year in year out. They don't have much turnover, so they obviously pay them well.

post-65047-0-95638600-1400312939_thumb.jpost-65047-0-93171100-1400312968_thumb.j

hopefully by 2016.

Framed structures like supermarkets can be built extremely quickly if the will is there. It could be open before the end of this year easily.

hopefully by 2016.

Framed structures like supermarkets can be built extremely quickly if the will is there. It could be open before the end of this year easily.

These questions about the opening could have been answered with competent reporting. On page 16 of the Pattaya Mail, PM reporter Dr. Ian Corness interviews both the CEO and Manager of Foodland (itself a golden opportunity) where they tell him about Foodland opening two new locations in Pattaya. Where are the basics of reporting; who, what, when, where, why? A few basic questions, where are the locations? When will they open? What services will they provide? Pretty basic. Our own TV reporters at least nailed down the location of one of the new stores. I hope Dr Corness is a better doctor than reporter.

These questions about the opening could have been answered with competent reporting. On page 16 of the Pattaya Mail, PM reporter Dr. Ian Corness interviews both the CEO and Manager of Foodland (itself a golden opportunity) where they tell him about Foodland opening two new locations in Pattaya. Where are the basics of reporting; who, what, when, where, why? A few basic questions, where are the locations? When will they open? What services will they provide? Pretty basic. Our own TV reporters at least nailed down the location of one of the new stores. I hope Dr Corness is a better doctor than reporter.

Reporter, radio voice-over artist, racing car driver, author, food critic, master of ceremonies for hi-so networking get-togethers, doctor, columnist, compère, TV presenter, you-name-it. A veritable man for all seasons (or is that a jack of all trades?).

He's not getting his mitts on my body parts, that's for sure. I'd rather have that Barry Upton give me a heart bypass.

Tropo and Kitten..there is always hope it can open soon.

Considering it's Foodland, which is an exceptionally well run business, I would say there's a good chance it will. Some things do happen quickly in Pattaya. Have you noticed how quickly they open new Family Marts and 7Elevens here? Central Festival didn't take long either and that's a mall.

The deciding factor here is when they decide to break ground. Once they've done that it won't take long.

Foodland is my No. 1 supermarket. I've said this before that I've compared prices with Big C and Villa on a basket of common products and Foodland was cheaper. Big C was the most expensive. Foodland also has very good specials on the kinds of things you would buy regularly.

I also agree with others the service at Foodland is far superior to anything in Pattaya/Jomtien. Looks like they have a good training program and pretty good inventory control too, unlike the laughable Big C and Tesco.

There's nothing in Pattaya that comes even close to the service at Foodland (2nd place Friendship). It's the only place that checks out the items so quickly that I can't keep an eye on them. If they see too many people waiting they actually open new checkout lines, unlike Big C that likes to close them down even when they're busy.

It's not only training. Have you not noticed the same staff working there year in year out. They don't have much turnover, so they obviously pay them well.

"nothing in Pattaya that comes even close to the service at Foodland" may be so and probably is but even they ... Went to buy some wine, upon returning in the car I see on the bill a higher price as indicated on the shelf + on the sticker attached to some of the bottles. So I return to that service counter and the lady joins me to the wine section.

"Price went up" and she removed the price tag from the shelf.

In Big C or Lotus I would have gotten the first bottle for free and each next bottle at the price indicated on shelf / bottle. In worse case not the free bottle but all bottles at indicated price.

Not in Foodland though, I could keep the bottles at the suddenly new price or, the option I chose, return it and get a refund.

An email to Foodland corporate of course remained without response.

As this happened only few days after they didn't let me use 3 of their 15THB vouchers (those that you sometimes get per purchase over 500THB) as they were 1 day over due date I thought that also Foodland now finally started to give service at the level of their peers.

Anyway I changed for my wine and later on shopping trips mostly to Friendship and Best when I need bread or European stuff and to Lotus for the other things as toilet paper, soap, water and so on.

Maybe some day I'll have to try Foodland again, who knows. Probably only for their meat section.

"nothing in Pattaya that comes even close to the service at Foodland" may be so and probably is but even they ... Went to buy some wine, upon returning in the car I see on the bill a higher price as indicated on the shelf + on the sticker attached to some of the bottles. So I return to that service counter and the lady joins me to the wine section.

"Price went up" and she removed the price tag from the shelf.

In Big C or Lotus I would have gotten the first bottle for free and each next bottle at the price indicated on shelf / bottle. In worse case not the free bottle but all bottles at indicated price.

Not in Foodland though, I could keep the bottles at the suddenly new price or, the option I chose, return it and get a refund.

An email to Foodland corporate of course remained without response.

As this happened only few days after they didn't let me use 3 of their 15THB vouchers (those that you sometimes get per purchase over 500THB) as they were 1 day over due date I thought that also Foodland now finally started to give service at the level of their peers.

Anyway I changed for my wine and later on shopping trips mostly to Friendship and Best when I need bread or European stuff and to Lotus for the other things as toilet paper, soap, water and so on.

Maybe some day I'll have to try Foodland again, who knows. Probably only for their meat section.

I've had to handle wrong pricing situations at Big C several times in the past, and it's a horrible task. It can also be a real pain to find the price if there's no price card on the shelf . Not many stores have price stickers on items these days and I love that. Customer service at Foodland is very friendly, quick and efficient. I don't know anything about getting bottles or items for free if marked incorrectly (at Big C and Tesco), but that's really about store policies rather than lack of service. They have to have rules and they stuck by them. If you'd spoken to the manager instead of the checkout or service counter staff they may have done something for you. Did you try that? There's always a manager on duty at any time of the day or night.
Each to their own, but having shopped many times at Big C and Tesco over the years, there's no way I'm swapping over. It's also difficult to shop at Big C and Tesco at 2am LOL. I do shop at Big C too, but it's not my go-to store for my regular shopping.

FWIW, I just spoke with the night manager at Foodland. It's opening next year, he said. When pressed for more precise info he said middle of next year.

That's Thai time, in reality it means 2016 +

It could, hence my use of "FWIW", but because this is Foodland, I'm optimistic we'll be shopping there sometime next year.

You may have noticed how quickly they open Family Marts and 7Elevens here - virtually overnight. Things can happen quickly here.

I don't think I've ever seen someone as excited as tropo about a supermarket opening. I wished such trival things made such a difference in my world. It's a supermarket for heavens sake.

If there weren't strict forum rules I'd tell you where to go. Unfortunately I can't do that, so I'll just have to explain why a Foodland near to me is a HUGE deal to me.biggrin.png biggrin.png biggrin.png

For starters, it's not just a supermarket. In Pattaya it's one of a kind - the best.

Currently I have to do a 10km round trip to Foodland. I don't go there as often as I would like to because of the long trip across town in heavy traffic (Pratumnak Rd - 3rd Road - Pattaya Klang). Even late at night it's still a 10km round trip.

This means that I usually shop at my 2nd favourite supermarket Friendship.

Also, shopping on a motorbike I can't shop big. Even if I could, I'm not into that - I like to buy often and fresh.

Now please, if you're not into supermarkets, go and find another thread to bug people on.wink.png

FWIW, I just spoke with the night manager at Foodland. It's opening next year, he said. When pressed for more precise info he said middle of next year.

I am sure they can build it faster than that , just look at the 1 million baht condos that was finished within a year.

I've had to handle wrong pricing situations at Big C several times in the past, and it's a horrible task. It can also be a real pain to find the price if there's no price card on the shelf . Not many stores have price stickers on items these days and I love that. Customer service at Foodland is very friendly, quick and efficient. I don't know anything about getting bottles or items for free if marked incorrectly (at Big C and Tesco), but that's really about store policies rather than lack of service. They have to have rules and they stuck by them. If you'd spoken to the manager instead of the checkout or service counter staff they may have done something for you. Did you try that? There's always a manager on duty at any time of the day or night.

Each to their own, but having shopped many times at Big C and Tesco over the years, there's no way I'm swapping over. It's also difficult to shop at Big C and Tesco at 2am LOL. I do shop at Big C too, but it's not my go-to store for my regular shopping.

Tropo you put your finger on another thing I forgot about Foodland. The night manager is easily identifiable and there upfront constantly. He tours the store floor, helps pack groceries, cleans up, opens new cash registers, answers questions, helps me find things and grabs me some cigs from behind the service counter. He's always pleasant and smiling just like the older fellow who used to work in the Klang store until he got moved to the BKK Soi 16 Sukhumvit store. And the old fellow remembers me! Anyway, the new one knows his stock and does a great job. So refreshing for Thailand. It's so nice to come away from Foodland with a pleasant experience every time. Of course, they have to have the goods, otherwise all this praise is nothing.

And last, having a good supermarket is worth gold as far as I'm concerned. It's a key reason why I moved back near Klang and Soi Yume from the Darkside.

^^ I wondered what happened to the old night manager. How did you know he moved to the BKK store?

I moved to Bangkok beginning of last summer to Soi 22 for a few months. I shopped at the Soi 16 store and saw him in his same duties but in the daytime. He told me a lady manager there went into hospital and he was moved there to take over. He wasn't happy living in BKK and would rather have been in Pattaya. I commiserated. Now I haven't been there since the fall but I assume the older fellow is still there. BTW, everyone working there was equally attentive and pleasant, although I think the Pattaya Klang store is the best.

It would be great if they had also a place where you can have a drink, eating their sandwiches, watching the people go by, with the airco and the nice background music.

It's called Chok la dee (something good?) and is open 24 hours. They have nice background music

like Ramstein and ac/dc . And cheap wine.

It would be great if they had also a place where you can have a drink, eating their sandwiches, watching the people go by, with the airco and the nice background music.

It's called Chok la dee (something good?) and is open 24 hours. They have nice background music

like Ramstein and ac/dc . And cheap wine.

It's Took Lae Dee. Cheap and good.

• 2 months later...

Spoke to one of the owners at the annual dinner party. He said they already have the land (you can see the sign on Theprasit) but they're being cautious, watching the political and economic situation in Thailand. The company is very well run by a conservative family so it's not surprising they're going to wait until all signals are green before proceeding. Once they decide to do so, I would guess they could put up a building and open in 6 or 9 months. I've seen different companies start and complete buildings in less time when they have the money and the plans. Foodland would most likely follow the layout they've used for all of their markets throughout Thailand and, thus, should be able to get it done quickly. I only hope they go ahead with the plan eventually. Great company, enjoy the food bar a lot.

I've had to handle wrong pricing situations at Big C several times in the past, and it's a horrible task. It can also be a real pain to find the price if there's no price card on the shelf . Not many stores have price stickers on items these days and I love that.

On Sukumvit BigC have several scanning POS terminals dotted around the store for the use of customers. Just scan the barcode on your item and the price and description will be displayed instantly.

I've had to handle wrong pricing situations at Big C several times in the past, and it's a horrible task. It can also be a real pain to find the price if there's no price card on the shelf . Not many stores have price stickers on items these days and I love that.

On Sukumvit BigC have several scanning POS terminals dotted around the store for the use of customers. Just scan the barcode on your item and the price and description will be displayed instantly.

I'm only aware of one such price scanner at the old Carrefour, and it's a big store. They could put 4 more in there but it wouldn't make shopping any less unpleasant. IMO Big C Sukhumvit is one of the worst supermarkets in Pattaya.

Archived