The In-laws!

Belfastboy

Easy solution:

build a small house for them to live not near your house.

No big deal.

Yep, that'll do it. Just buy another house in the UK for them, they can stay in it up until August then you can sell it. Read the original post Chinachampion. :o

My wifes folks live with us, hence my high post count :o

I also installed a spa in our master bathroom, I read a lot of books and eat alone most meals.

I would have built them a small house nearby if it wasn't for the help that Mum in Law gives my wife with our children, As soon as the kids are old enough for my wife to look after them alone with ease they are out the door and into a smaller house all of their own and we are off to Ko Tao :D

Belfastboy, I really feel for you man, I am in the exact same boat and end up spending the majority of my time alone upstairs. My alcohol consumption has gone through the roof as it can get lonely.

The wife doesn't really understand that it is my kitchen, paid for with my money so I do not want it stinking, that the pump for the namtok is an out door pump and will overheat and break if Mamma keeps wrapping it up tightly in a plastic bag (we compromised on this one, it now has a childs umbrella covering it), that if they leave the flyscreens open ofcourse the flys will come in, the dishes need to be washed in hot water to get cleaned properly, when my friends come around Pappa shouldn't walk around in only a towel, Mamma can't come into my bedroom when I am sleeping naked so she can clean...

Oh stuff it, wheres my beer I am going to sit in the spa and read a book, do what the heck you like.

Sort it out properly ate bmefore it gets to my stage :D

Don't have any serious in-law problems, but I think having a guest house does help. Our main house has a ton of old fragile bric-a-brac and the in-laws' team includes a wrecking crew of anywhere between two and seven under 10 year olds, so we dine together and stress outdoor activities. The guest house is of the type that is comfortable, but not too comfortable, kind of like a few 3 star hotel rooms with a roof thrown over them. The decor is themed:

"You're okay staying here but you eventually you're going to miss home."

Another key is that visits aren't open to all in-laws. Only the my wife's immediate extended family (while still large) can visit. Distant cousins and their families are a no no.

:o

If you wish to be left in peace it's quite simple:

Pop down to your local pub and offer a buddy of yours 10 quid to remember, by heart, some tale to recite in front of you and your family when he comes banging on your door in a fit of sweat.

The neatly planned script ought to read something like:

"As a dear friend of mine, i could torment the toture no longer, i just have to tell you - This Darned House of yours is.... supposedly-haunted! The last dwelller's daughter went completely mad and is now in a 4 by 4 padded cell after being possessed by some ghekko-like monster with three eyes. Then, just ten years back, the resident's son went utterly insane and hung up the headless body of his murdered father-in-law on the laundry line before eating the family cat"

blah blah blah....

and that ought to have the garbage loving, gossiping in-laws fleeing to the airport hoping to get on the first flight out....and hopefully.....never to be seen again....

The rest of my wife's family are great, but then, they are 6000 miles away.

And as long as they stay there you'll love them forever...!!!

No relatives staying for a long period of time - EVER! They just take over the place and you're made to feel like a guest in your own home. The only time I ever have a row with Mrs.Backpack is when the in-laws or the freeloading, waste-of-space brothers get involved.

If they're "taking over" your house in UK BelfastBoy, then it's really time to tell them to offski!

Just concentrate your time on the new baby. Explain that in the first 6 months of life, new baby's in UK need to spend time with their daddy, it's a "UK thing". They'll never know and before you know it they'll be gone!

You couldn't pay me enough to live with my out-laws!

"As a dear friend of mine, i could torment the toture no longer, i just have to tell you - This Darned House of yours is.... supposedly-haunted! The last dwelller's daughter went completely mad and is now in a 4 by 4 padded cell after being possessed by some ghekko-like monster with three eyes. Then, just ten years back, the resident's son went utterly insane and hung up the headless body of his murdered father-in-law on the laundry line before eating the family cat"

LOL, I was surprised by how afraid of ghosts a lot of thais I know are. I was discussing going to Phuket with a couple friends and they said NO WAY! because theres too many ghost there.

I have the best in-laws (future), we not married yet but Ive been there 4 times and they always buy me gold and give me money when we go shopping.

My fiancee doesnt have a "child menatality" like some people would describe there partners/thai's etc.

They have stayed with us and the father always wants to get pissed and brings back whiskey all the time.

Were do you all find these problems?? Well im not married yet so maybe things will change after that, but not likey

Well im not married yet so maybe things will change after that, but not likey

You may be on to something there. Perhaps the "folks" are more polite because the "deal" hasn’t been closed yet and they don’t want to do anything to muck it up.

I’m half joking....but the more I think about some of my friends relationships before and after marriage there may be some truth to it.

:o

Easy solution:

build a small house for them to live not near your house.No big deal.

...and have a deep and wide canal digged inbetween with some landmines on both sides...next to that some snake-breeding nests, a couple of bloodhounds and a couple of small shacks with mia noi's living in.......

I'll bet he will never ever come and visit you anymore :o

LaoPo

Variation on the ghost idea.

Take the father-in-law to the pub. Have the mate tell the sory while you are at the bar or some where else.

Have your mate describe the tale of the Yorkshire ripper, complete with the cops digging up the yard. Will be fine if they speak the same language. Still try it if they don't, just make sure there are lots of ghost noises, fingers slitting throats and other universal gestures of doom in the description, then prime the wife to deliver the translation.