Bangkok: Schools, roads face disruption from rallies

webfact

Schools, roads face disruption from rallies
Tanatpong Kongsai
Supinda na Mahachai
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- MOST SCHOOLS re-open for the new semester this week, but ongoing political rallies in the heart of Bangkok are threatening to delay the scheduled opening for many.

Wat Makutkasat primary school, which is located near a rally site of the People's Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC), has already decided to postpone the start of the new semester indefinitely.

Wat Makutkasat secondary school has also cancelled its plan to open for the first semester of the 2014 academic year tomorrow. School director Jarasrit Klinsuwan said he made this decision after finding that teachers and staff would be spending a very long time travelling to school.

"Several roads nearby are also closed to traffic," he said.

However, he said he hoped his school could open for the new semester next Monday. "Of course, we will have to reassess the situation first," Jarasrit added.

Kamol Rodklai, deputy secretary-general of the Office of Basic Education Commission (Obec), said most schools near the current rally sites continued conducting classes despite the protests.

"So, we trust the judgement of school executives. We only emphasise that safety must be a top priority," he said.

Jarasrit said if the unfolding situation forced his school to suspend classes for a long time, teachers would give their students home assignments.

"We will also rely on online teaching and learning materials," he added.

The PDRC has now set up a stage in front of the United Nations building on the Rajdamnoen Nok Avenue, in addition to its stage in the Chaeng Wattana area.

As a result, the Traffic Police Division said several roads have become impassable.

The roads closed to traffic are: Rajdamnoen Klang Avenue between the Democracy Monument and Phan Fah intersection; Rajdamnoen Nok Avenue between Phan Fah intersection and Royal Plaza; Phitsanulok Road between Nang Lerng and Wang Daeng intersections; Rama V Road between the Marble Temple and the Oratai Bridge; Krung Kasem Road between the Prachakasem and Makkhawan Rangsan intersections.

Moreover, the portion of Luk Luang Road between Dhevakam and Makkhawan Rangsan intersections, the portion of Chakkraphatdiphong Road between Chakkraphatdiphong and Wisut Kasat intersections, and the portion of the Chaeng Wattana Road between the Thailand Post headquarters and Government Complex are also off-limits to traffic.

With red-shirt demonstrators gathering on Utthayan (Aksa) Road in Nakhon Pathom, the entire road is closed to traffic as well.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-05-15

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

"We only emphasise that safety must be a top priority," he said.

We can tell. coffee1.gif alt=coffee1.gif>

4JJniCi.jpg

This photo is very sad but true about the Thai underclass which Mr. Suthep seeks to exclude from the right to have an equal voice and vote.

Are the students safe? With all the bombs the anti government forces have. I sure hope a student doesn't find one laying around.

They ll be ok as long as they can dodge the bullets and bombs and grenades your tin pot demi god from dubai is firingf on a daily basis - red shirts have already killed 4 children in the last 3 months troll!

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

4JJniCi.jpg

This photo is very sad but true about the Thai underclass which Mr. Suthep seeks to exclude from the right to have an equal voice and vote.

The only exclusion is from Democrats standing for election in the north!!!!!!!!! Thats the oh so democratic truth!!!!!!!!

4JJniCi.jpg

Wow I wish I had your insight,do you know the names,addresses of the kids in the pic,their parents income and how many dogs they have.I see these things everyday where I live which on average is a middle to upper class area.So by your reckoning there are going to be a lot of people in Pathum Thani going to loose their vote based on a picture like this.I will pray for you.

Are the students safe? With all the bombs the anti government forces have. I sure hope a student doesn't find one laying around.

the boys are clever - if found they quickly sell'em to the nearest scrap yard and those professionals surely know what do with that: Cut it into handy pieces