Fingerprint scans to debut at Thai Immigration to catch known criminals

webfact

Yeah, right! Go on, fingerprint all these foreigners who conduct the majority of violent crimes in Thailand, such as shooting girlfriend and mom in law at point blank in a pimpup my car waiting room (the dance away murderer), raping and killing at least 6 innocent children (Nui), crashing into and killing countless police officers and other people who were at the wrong place at the wrong time (the rich Bangkok brats in their luxurious racing cars who never get proscecuted), bomb the hell out of noodle shop owners and bystanders (muslim separatists in the south), selling parts of Thailand's infrastructure to foreign countries and run with the cash AND tax (Shin clan), bring the country to a standstill, raging like Heinrich Himmler live on TV and making political demands that only idiots would meet, stating he is talking for the majority of Thais while having a few arrest warrants out on himself including involvement of murdering a foreign journalist (Suthep), forcing underage girls into prostitution (Thai Nama Sans for their Chinese/Thai child lover clients), illegally gamble like there is no tomorrow (90% of the Thais? - just a wild guess), push drugs, guns, and other illegal stuff like Thailand is the hard copy of Mexico (majority of Thai businessmen), accept bribes for almost any of their performed work (Thai officials and police), kill their foreign passengers with an axe on camera over a 60 Baht taxi fare.... should I go on, or is it enough?... to show you = the Thais, what hypocrites most of you are - to an extend that it makes any open minded person who has learned to think for himself wanna puke. Nothing more I have to say to that, I am too disgusted.

All this said, I by no means want to implement there are no rotten apples in the "farang basket", but please put an end to this "farangs are bad and need to be monitored all the time", while the majority of your own country people act worse than outlaws in the wild wild west... You need to look in the mirror first before you can start pointing fingers!

Edited by catweazle

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There will be a lot of teaching jobs open with all the new immigration rules. The number of illegal foriegners without the correct visa is enormous. I know personally of many who do visa runs bi weekly to stay and teach in thailand. This fingerprinting may also reduce some of the russian mafia that is here. Getting into thailand may become harder and stricter for tourists but staying here will be harder

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I don't see how it is going to be any harder for getting here if you are not wanted by the Thai police or Interpol. Get a legal visa and it won't be any harder to stay here. In many cases it may be easier.

Yeah, right! Go on, fingerprint all these foreigners who conduct the majority of violent crimes in Thailand, such as shooting girlfriend and mom in law at point blank in a pimpup my car waiting room (the dance away murderer), raping and killing at least 6 innocent children (Nui), crashing into and killing countless police officers and other people who were at the wrong place at the wrong time (the rich Bangkok brats in their luxurious racing cars who never get proscecuted), bomb the hell out of noodle shop owners and bystanders (muslim separatists in the south), selling parts of Thailand's infrastructure to foreign countries and run with the cash AND tax (Shin clan), bring the country to a standstill, raging like Heinrich Himmler live on TV and making political demands that only idiots would meet, stating he is talking for the majority of Thais while having a few arrest warrants out on himself including involvement of murdering a foreign journalist (Suthep), supressing underage girls into prostitution (Thai Nama Sans for their Chinese/Thai child lover clients), illegally gamble like there is no tomorrow (90% of the Thais? - just a wild guess), push drugs, guns, and other illegal stuff like Thailand is the hard copy of Mexico (majority of Thai businessmen), accept bribes for almost any of their performed work (Thai officials and police), kill their foreign passengers with an axe on camera over a 60 Baht taxi fare.... should I go on, or is it enough?... to show you = the Thais, what hypocrites most of you are - to an extend that it makes any open minded person who has learned to think for himself wanna puke. Nothing more I have to say to that, I am too disgusted. Need to go to the toilet.

Enjoy your meal.

God knows what the real tourism figures will be after they finish their crackdown. Every single tourist?

Damn that will take a while to process. Standing behind a queue of Chinese arrivals is going to be even more joyous.

You people have had it too spoiled here.

You people complain too much about the type of quality "tourist" that enter here and yet when the gov tries to do something about it, you complain.

Now it's time to join the rest of the world.

Like the article says, they do it in Japan and it works and no, does not take that much longer to get through the line.

People complain about jet-ski scammers, not oversexed Swedish backpackers.

Not in Chiang Mai. LOL

Yeah, right! Go on, fingerprint all these foreigners who conduct the majority of violent crimes in Thailand, such as shooting girlfriend and mom in law at point blank in a pimpup my car waiting room (the dance away murderer), raping and killing at least 6 innocent children (Nui), crashing into and killing countless police officers and other people who were at the wrong place at the wrong time (the rich Bangkok brats in their luxurious racing cars who never get proscecuted), bomb the hell out of noodle shop owners and bystanders (muslim separatists in the south), selling parts of Thailand's infrastructure to foreign countries and run with the cash AND tax (Shin clan), bring the country to a standstill, raging like Heinrich Himmler live on TV and making political demands that only idiots would meet, stating he is talking for the majority of Thais while having a few arrest warrants out on himself including involvement of murdering a foreign journalist (Suthep), supressing underage girls into prostitution (Thai Nama Sans for their Chinese/Thai child lover clients), illegally gamble like there is no tomorrow (90% of the Thais? - just a wild guess), push drugs, guns, and other illegal stuff like Thailand is the hard copy of Mexico (majority of Thai businessmen), accept bribes for almost any of their performed work (Thai officials and police), kill their foreign passengers with an axe on camera over a 60 Baht taxi fare.... should I go on, or is it enough?... to show you = the Thais, what hypocrites most of you are - to an extend that it makes any open minded person who has learned to think for himself wanna puke. Nothing more I have to say to that, I am too disgusted. Need to go to the toilet.

Enjoy your meal.

it went down the toilet - people who can read are clearly in favour here...

Edited by catweazle

What do they need fingerprints for ?

Many of the criminals are known to the police already or even have a very lucrative "business" relationship with them!

(See boiler room boys, prostitution, drugs...)

I rather guess that one of the fingerprint scanners which costs about 80-100 $ US will have a hefty price tag of 2000 $ or more in Thailand nice opportunity to fill somebodies pockets!

Why do you think the PTP are fighting so hard to not reform the government. There will be big money in their pocket on this deal. Just hope they get decent ones. Not like their cheap pads.

Not sure about the whole system but it seems to me that once they get it set up and running and iron the bugs out of it there is the chance it might be easier and quicker to get through immigration. Not going to be a fast process.

Has any body ever had the bar code on their passport used?

They do this in Malaysia and it works very efficiently and does not slow down anything. But some people do feel more comfortable carrying a small antiseptic swab to wipe the scanner glass clean first.

They do this in Malaysia and it works very efficiently and does not slow down anything. But some people do feel more comfortable carrying a small antiseptic swab to wipe the scanner glass clean first.

It sounds very strange they would let you put any sort of liquid or swab on the scanner screen. Could well be some fluid designed to distort the image. The machines should have a self cleaning mechanism, which I suppose they have.

This could be it along with the new Visa restrictions. Its crazy how every time you go to sleep you can wake up to a new life changing law. Just get a Job the American Woman told me smile.png My expat friend told me: there is a lot for sell now. all the long stayers want to sell their stuff now. Cambodia and Vietnam is where they are headed. he also said: Thailand miss calculated it all. after a couple of weeks they will realize that they are loosing money with these new strict rules... I don't know about that we will see but I feel that I am still always labeled as one of the only come here for sex-drink-bad-farangs. Thais coming to Sweden are after a while accepted and just a normal person as any other. but here you have to filtrate the people very much to meet those open minded Thais who are not hard-lined nationalists and directly put the label on you: Just an other beer drinking farang(PS Thais back in Sweden are great people. super friendly. I grew up with many of them that's why I'm here in Thailand today. I learned from their friendly ways and delicious-food biggrin.pngthumbsup.gifwai.gif

Edited by crazyguyinthailand

So, the scan takes seconds, but how long does matching that with the database take?

Perhaps that doesn't matter, after all everyone puts the address they'll be staying at on the immigration card, so they can be picked up later. It's not as if criminals would lie or anything................... tongue.png

Many countries scan fingerprints on entry but Thailand's Immigration is much more old fashioned and slow than most. They seem to love stamping and signing things. I wonder if this will hold up the process any futher. China is even more paranoid than Thailand and much less dependent on tourism income but they are able to get people through Immigration in about 40 seconds - with a smile too which is all too rare in the Land of Smiles itself.

I note that the commissioner didn't disclose his reasons for not being worried about disease transmission by the finger print scanners. Prehaps he is not worried because he will not have to have his prints scanned as a pu yai.

China make you go through immigration for a connection which is ridiculous.

So does LA wink.png

That's ridiculous too

Do they fingerprint in Malaysia? All arrivals?

I don't remember that.

Nope ... when through the LCCC at KL 2 weeks ago.

All, at least in KL, including KLIA 2 (LCCT is history as of May 2).

Getting in to Thailand will be tough. Once you're in it seems like it's a criminal's paradise. The police payoff to avoid arrest is always an option. I am certain that some enterprising Thai will set up a business promoting fingerprint removal with chemicals.

When I went through LCCT a few weeks ago they were fingerprinting mostly Asian passengers.

As for Thailand introducing these scanners, why be concerned if you are not a criminal? They already take your photo at immigration etc. The only downside will be a longer wait at immigration whilst the Chinese tour groups hold up the queue :)

"The scanners will force thousands of people to touch the same device. When asked about the possibility of transmitting diseases – such as MERS – the general said he was not worried."

Upon further questioning, the General said, "Look, I am not worried because I will not be touching the device and besides this new procedure is aligned with our desire to stimulate more money coming into the country for medical reasons. It will add to the countries GDP in 2 ways. First, medical treatment caused by the transference of disease. Secondly and more importantly, Thailand will become the HUB of Finger Print Filings and cosmetic Finger Print Modifications. It is estimated that this new procedure will out strip the current income level for other Farang cosmetic surgeries."

wai2.gif clap2.gif

Where else in the region do they fingerprint tourist arrivals like this?

Presumably going to be checked against biometrics?

Do they even have automated readers yet? Doesn't Somchai still key the data in by hand. At least, once its done the whole system will be automated and less open to abuse.

They might even catch a few Thai criminals . kamnan po only hung out in his own house for 10 years. I am sure the other major criminals will just get caught at a border post.

Cambodia and Malaysia at least.

I don't remember that.

Scanning for prints on file......not taking finger prints

PHUKET: -- Thai Immigration aims to begin scanning fingerprints of all foreigners arriving in the Kingdom by the end of the year under a project costing 342 million baht.

What? - somebody is getting a big bung for that price

WOW ... all I hope is that they don't buy from the same guy who sold them the Bomb/Metal Detectors!

That 'guy' would be me. I have located 400 fake semi-authentic fingerprint scanners (in China) and they are only $300 each if I buy all of them. I reckon the right guy in the purchasing dept of theThai government will pay ~$10,000 for each unit

I need investors for this scam plan. C'mon dudes, opportunities like this don't come along every day.

PM me if you're interested...

ROTFLMAO...!!!

Of course, most of us don't mind this idiotic added requirement, especailly as the new electronic passports have already covered this.

HOWEVER:

Once again, law abiding people must pay the price for other folks criminal activities...

The folks who walk in from Malaya, Burma or Cambodia or boat in from Laos will not give up their fingerprints.

These types of Rules or Laws just add a greater burden to people who are not contributing to the problem.

Gun Control fits this ideology - restrict guns to the law abiding folks - which OBVIOUSLY has no effect on criminals and the crimes they commit.

Good chance you will get a fingerprint scan in KLIA. I did last month.

But I cannot for the life of me understand what the big deal is about unless have something to hide.

The scan takes 3 seconds to register & gives much more security than looking at the camera.

• Like 2

i find this totally ridiculous, the serious problems INSIDE Thailand for example illegal weapons etc, the daily murder rate is horrific with lunatics with handguns..... but they want to spend almost half a billion baht on scanners that basically will be another giant waste of money as most people under the radar are just that UNDER THE RADAR..or know how to becoffee1.gif

But they will have the machine that goes Ping.

Where else in the region do they fingerprint tourist arrivals like this?

South Korea.

They have been doing it here for a few years now. They started doing it because the amount of foreigners coming into country on tourist VISA looking to work illegally.....gee that sounds familiar....

From the OP:

The scanners will force thousands of people to touch the same device. When asked about the possibility of transmitting diseases – such as MERS – the general said he was not worried.

“So many other countries use fingerprinting. We are not worried about disease transmission. As I said, it is something that needs to be done for the benefit of the whole country.”

The general is not worried. And that's it!

He does not counter the argument, does not give reasons etc.

Just that he is not worried.....because other countries also use fingerprinting.

You would be really worried about handling money then rolleyes.gif

Is Thaksin Shinawatra's prints on file ... whistling.gif

I think you mean. "Are Thaksin Shinawatra's prints on file."

Sorry, I'm a picky old bugger but don't worry, I have even had to correct a couple of Prime Ministers on issues of singular and plural.

Look out! Look out! the "you know who are about" rolleyes.gif

This guy needs to understand that not all posters in here are English or from an English speaking back ground, ignorant hypocrite. w00t.gif

• Like 1

Where may I go to be fingerprinted ? Glad to see this and thing they should use Facial or Eye Scanners. Whatever it takes to keep or maker Thailand a harder place from Drugs, Human Trafficing and Terrorist to transit. Only problem is they have no data base for Kenya, Nigeria maybe even Malaysia.

I think you get the idea, Jerry

Amazing …I will say only one thing and please try to use you few remaining brain cells to understand it.

Once your privacy and liberties are taken YOU NEVER GET THEM BACK … and that included the dipsticks that say “ I have nothing to hide” ……wakeup

Read my lips dippy ! "I have nothing to hide" did you get that ?