THAI Family looking to spend some time in the Phillipines away fro trouble

tezzainoz

Hi

Thai Wibe 6 year old Daughter and Farlang, a little worried about where Thailand is going, so thinking of spending some time in the Phillipines

Need a web address for a good Phiilipino Foum like the one we have here in Thailand to ask questions we will need to know

and any ideas where is the best place to stay as my self and nmy daughter are white skin in appearance

Noy interested in Angels City as we are a family

Have been told Cebu is probably the best

any advice will be appreciated

• Like 1

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You think Thailand is crazy, wait till you get to the PI! I'll try to find the video on the election process there. Amazing at the level of security...and how many politicians don't make it very long....err...live very long.

• Like 2

any advice will be appreciated

If you have never been there, dont bother, its a basket case.

Why do you think there are so many Pinoy trying to get to Thailand?

I will NEVER set foot in that country again.

The tales the wifes Pinoy friends could tell you would make the hairs on the back of your neck stand up.

Best avoided, Cambo is better if a push comes to a shove.

• Like 2

The Philippines is a huge country. Puerto Princesa in Palawan might be a boring, but safe choice to live for a while.

I can't confirm it for sure, but crime seems to be lower there.

Plus they don't have earthquakes and typhoons there.

• Like 1

Baguio city in Northern Luzon is an interesting place. It's a university town with lots of activity.

For a lifestyle similar to Issan, try the islands in the north of Cebu. Some parts were devastated by last year's typhoon, so check out if the infrastructure still exists.

Yeah, there's crime and corruption, so just be careful.

Great feedback, as I've never been there.

It does make me wonder though...why when the Pinoy come here,

do they do nothing but complain about Thailand?

Or at the very least, act like they are better than Thai ladies?

Which I don't think they are.

Malaysia is a much better option. I went to manila and boracay. Boracay was beautiful and didn't experience any problems there but in Manila you armed guards in front of every mall with what looks like AK-47s at the time. I definitely wouldn't feel safe to live in a place that needs that kind of security.

I agree with most of the above posts ... having visited and travelled throughout the Phillipines numerous times since the mid 1980s, and having not returned this century ... the Phillipines is one country I never want to visit again, or live in ... the level of crime and violence is much higher than here.

And, as noted above, the heavily armed guards around banks and international hotels gives you an idea of what the country is like.

Great feedback, as I've never been there.

It does make me wonder though...why when the Pinoy come here,

do they do nothing but complain about Thailand?

Or at the very least, act like they are better than Thai ladies?

Which I don't think they are.

People like maids and nannys can earn more here and send it home. Similar to what my wife and I are doing - as teachers.

Read through TV to see who complains about Thailand. I think the Pinoy workers miss the friendliness of their home where people don't immediately look upon foreigners as lower than they are.

yes you dont really need to even leave, if you are concerned move to somewhere like nong khai where you can slip across the border at a moments notice. assuming they dont close the border which they have often done at signs of trouble in the past.

was in hatyai last time issues happened in bkk. not the slightest indication thing were other than normal from there, but you got more bombings in the south now adays so northeast is a better choice now.

lot of thais in penang. both resident and temp fleeing when i was doing same.

Edited by obnoxious troll

http://www.expatforum.com/

Try this site and the Philippine section. Palawan is better in some aspects. In the Cebu area you may find Bohol nicer. If you don't want to go all the way to Palawan, I suggest Dumaguete,nice college town and many farang and cheaper rents. Expect Thai wife to be upset about all the attention you will get from local females. LOL Lots of expats living in Philippines, even with its problems. You might want to also look at www.lifebeyondthesea.com and his youtube videos. Goggle searches of specific areas will give you lots of info. Try and avoid Manila Airport. Awful place. Cebu much nicer.

If you are into clean beaches and scuba or diving you have lots of choices.

Edited by ripper15

Amazing how many negative posts on the Philippines. Most probably have only been there on a breif trip. I have lived there for 5 years now and own and operate a business in the Manila area. While I choose to live most of my time in Laguna (Phuket), I do appreciate what the Philippines has to offer... 7,107 islands (mostly undeveloped, but clean and beautiful), friendly and caring people that go out of their way to smile and learn your name (without a generalized reference to "farang"), cheap food (although my least favorite in Asia), innexpensive inter-island travel, cheap taxis, lots of entertainment (at least in Manila), beautiful women (not to mention: trustworthy, respectful, sincere), English speaking, educated, etc.

The downside to the Philippines in my mind is: infrastructure (Internet is horrible; cellular communication as well as landlines are antiquated and in need of a major upgrade; airports are third-world, but improving; visible filth in the urban areas; prone to regular typhoons in the Visayas; guns and guards are everywhere.

If you want to find nice, clean beaches and actually buy beachfront land, near an airport, hospital, etc., it is possible to do so for under 3 million Baht. I enjoy surfing and will be buyng a retirement home on Siargao Island (world famous for surfing and fishing). If you would like a safe, clean place to stay, you cant go wrong with Baguio, Boracay or Bantangas.

Everyone has an opinion, but you should go and take a look for yourself to see what it is like before moving your whole family there. Good luck.

• Like 1

Hi

Might not be what you expect...

Lived there 6 years until it became unbearable...

Unless you stay in Boracay or downtown Makati (Manila), it's hardly a family place...

Lot's of adventure and beautiful, but not really safe!

Guns everywhere...

Cheers

YOU could try looking at Subic Bay not so far from Manila with beaches

It is ok.....I stayed 18 years on Baloy Beach Subic Bay. Do not get into staying at Sta Monica Subdivision nearby...It floods annually...about 4 feet up the wall of your house. The beach is filty in the rainy season...but not so bad after November. In December to April it is crazy full of buses and people from Manila with Karaoke. The town, Barrio Barretto, is a series of gogo bars...(about 10 good ones and the rest trashy dives. SBMA (The old Navy Base, is where you want to rent...if you can afford. You will need a car. Get up at Cubi Point...nice views.) The better beaches are there. Plenty of Farangs in Barrio Barretto and SBMA. If you prefer natural beauty, go to Palawan or Dumuguete. Baguio is polluted...and full of traffic. They have a nice park there and a mall...but I would not live there. Good for a short visit.

I fly into Clark at Angeles.....it just makes sense. 10 Minutes and your at your hotel. Lots of restaurants and sort of a mini patta, without the beach. Not for a family at all.

Yep....you are safer in Thailand....just believe me. Waaaaaaay safer. Everyone should go to the Philippines for a few months, then they would be kissing the Immigration Officers as soon as they got back to Thailand. You have not experienced corruption, theft, vandalism, breakins, poverty, beggars and rude behaviour until you been to the philippines. But it is more familiar...the english, religion, and customs.

Edited by slipperylobster
  • Like 1

Ok now from the propective one one who actually is living in the Philippines at present. First of all the roads here are terrible Yes there is crime here but worse in Manlia daily shooting there like the wild west. I stay in Subic Bay area so not to bad if you like low water pressure and brown outs. Free port here with new mall some western eateries too. Visa runs are a bitch though once a year must leave country I go every 6 months to avoid 500 pecos exit visa fee. Medical ok schools same. Yes there are hookers here too english speaking cable too. But I myself will be moving back to Thailand Hua Hin quite and safe Must be because King is living there. Rents cheap food good schools safe for the kids some Expats but a heck of alot less knuckleheads. Downside movies all in Thai only but thank god for DVD's. I hope this helps a little good luck.

• Like 2

Hello,

My recommendation is to visit Malaysia instead of Philippines!

Any recommendation where a foreigner would want to live in Malaysia, close to the beach, city with about 250k-750k ppl? Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

Hello,

My recommendation is to visit Malaysia instead of Philippines!

Agree, It will be extremely difficult for your family to assimilate with the local Philippine nationals. At least life is pretty mundane in Malaysia, or at least that was my experience I found while traveling around Penang with my Thai wife.

Maybe a short vacation to the PI would help confirm our concerns.

I am not aware of any good forums in the PI. Most are for meeting Filipina ladies.