Most objective Thai news source?

doctorproc156

I'm just posing an open question here to the members of this forum. What in your opinion is the most objective news source on current events in Thailand (English or Thai)? Most of the news sources I've come across are full of bias and prejudice rather than reporting on solid and hard facts, I want some true and objective journalism.

Before you get your "reporting on solid and hard facts", you need reporters capable of asking the right questions. It's not an art form widely practised here. Too much info is missed because reporters aren't quick enough or brave enough to go on the attack. You often find the best sources of info are guest columnists and regulars like Voranai and Veera who often do their own reporting and research.

He is one member here who would know ... for sure.

Agreed Dr Evil. The Nation used to be very good when Suthichai and Thepchai were more actively involved. But Suthichai moved away from the daily running and Thepchai switched over to TV where he was hamstrung, along with others by your namesake, Dr Evil Thaksin. The Nation was also strangled by Dr Evil II who used his influence to withhold ads from the govt and his own companies (and companies whose arms he could twist). It also suffered from poor management and the rise of the internet.

PBS offers up good straight up stories but stops short of objective commentary, however.

• Like 1

I used to be a regular on Bangkok Post but when the protests started, many new members joined and started posting lots of pro-government comments. The strange thing was they all spoke perfect English and in the same style and only ever post the same meaningless rhetoric I also see on here. BKP then started publishing many of their comments and a lot less of the established members (mostly against what PT are doing). Since then they seem to enjoy posting negative comments against Suthep and selecting the pro-government comments to go with it - so I assume the management has been 'got at' in some way. They do not post any articles in support of the reforms and any deaths of protestors get a quick headline then disappear - whereas the killing of the red-shirt poet got several articles (including the editorial 'opinion' column) condemning it.

The Nation is probably the best online source now.

I found out a lot when my Thai g/f showed me what was happening through social media. It is disturbing how much serious anti-government news never makes it to the press. Like snipers on bridges with police guarding both ends.

• Like 1

Of the commercially available news sources, I'd go out on a limb and say Thai PBS gets closest to what you are looking for. Their English news texts are not very well written, but that is more poor English proficiency.

However, investigative journalism died a premature death in 2001. From the mid 90s the Thai press was much freer and outspoken than now. That changed drastically when a certain person was "democratically" elected.

edit: During the crackdown on critical journalism, there was one group that stood up to the pressure. Nation Media Group. That dows not say they are unbiased.

Let's look at the bigger picture here. In many countries, even western ones, almost all press is biased to some degree.

Yes Thailand had the best quality press in the 1990s of all SEA...

Yes the Nation Media Group stood up the best, but now they are of course biased against these who have pressured them all the years.

Matichon. Particlarly their weekly edition, which is worth reading cover to cover if you really want to understand what's going on in Thai politics and economics.

Seconded. I think if you read Matichon and followed PBS you'd get a fairly balanced picture of what is going on. But don't rule out the Daily News they have some very good editorials, thing is in order to avoid problems with influential people they often resort to using pseudonyms for the people they are discussing which the reader needs a fairly broad understanding of the news to be able to decipher who is being discussed, so once again that gets back to Matichon and PBS as a base source.

Edited by GuestHouse

I suggest one use a basket of news sources;

Foreign news: BBC, CNN for an overall view.

National: Matichon. (Even if I sometimes have to get my friend(s) to translate)

For gruesome coverage particularly after a car crash or sordid crime, Thai Rath has interesting photos.

Subscribe to some of the press releases from the embassies and trade groups. Often the English language papers will run with a part of the story, but will mangle the facts. The news blasts provide the actual info used for the story.

For crime coverage, the local rags provide info on local crimes. The Pattaya papers are very good at running photos of the accused and of the victims.

^^^

agree. A mix of news sources is the only way to inform yourself about the "facts" as they are seen from the different sides of the political / economical / whichever aisle. Am doing the same with "facts" about Switzerland, one source only is NEVER going to be objective, as every journalist will bring in his point of view in the limited space available to him

• Like 2

Al Jazeera has been the most objective news source I have come across, worldwide, and their level of professional journalism and investigation is very high.

And, although it is Muslim run and based, it is banned in 7 Muslim countries last I heard, (could be more now) for being so objective.

They have a permanent journalist based in Thailand too (and she's a babe!)

Edited by Seastallion
  • Like 1

It's a very subjective question. The answer depends on many personal criterias as your own attitudes, mindsets etc. Therefore it is nonsense to ask for an objective Thai news source. Therefore I like

^^^

agree. A mix of news sources is the only way to inform yourself about the "facts" as they are seen from the different sides of the political / economical / whichever aisle. Am doing the same with "facts" about Switzerland, one source only is NEVER going to be objective, as every journalist will bring in his point of view in the limited space available to him

And... never forget the financial background of a "news source". With Murderdock in the financial media background, for example, you will have "news" different from those of the New York Times or the English Guardian. In Thailand and anywhere else in the world ...no difference. What's then "objective"?

Use your own brain and instinct.

Edited by puck2

Watch "VICE" on Youtube...they cover the globe...including Thailand...and have no political objective...as far as I can determine...

I have watched some of their coverage. It lacks something. Can't put my finger on it.

Their fringe subject reporting is interesting, but their Thailand coverage does not go far enough in investigation.

They seem a little green and out of their depth. The facial expressions in the Bangkok rising reports seem to show complete non-comprehension.

It's a very subjective question. The answer depends on many personal criterias as your own attitudes, mindsets etc. Therefore it is nonsense to ask for an objective Thai news source. Therefore I like

^^^

And... never forget the financial background of a "news source". With Murderdock in the financial media background, for example, you will have "news" different from those of the New York Times or the English Guardian. In Thailand and anywhere else in the world ...no difference. What's then "objective"?

Use your own brain and instinct.

I sort of agree with you, especially about a mix of sources, but then the point of a mix of sources is that it is based on the assumption that none of them are objective and you therefore must sift through all the info and "use your brain and instinct"

I disagree that the definition of "objective" is subjective, or that it relies on one's own mindset or attitudes. On the contrary, an objective reporter and editor put aside their own feelings and biases and report exactly what they find, factually and with no deliberate spin, no omission, and complete honesty. The truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.

That ideal reporter may or may not exist, but the degree of objectivity is what we have come to appreciate as a news audience.

I don't care if its objective or not, particularly, as long as you realise the bias and allow for it.

Its not difficult with the nation since it screams Anti Thaksin from the first word. I hate how the news just parrots what people say, and that there is little mature debate or discussion programs

In a way, its best not to read anything in isolation. Get some stuff from the nation, dilute it with Kaosod. And vice versa.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys thanks for the replies, I've looked through all of your suggestions and so far for English sources, Prachatai and Khaosod seem to do a pretty decent job. But I didn't see anyone here mention Khaosod, is there any reason I should be avoiding them?

For crime coverage, the local rags provide info on local crimes. The Pattaya papers are very good at running photos of the accused and of the victims.

Not to be picky, but when my motorcycle was stolen in Pattaya, the local English rags wouldn't touch it (They only run stories that make the police look good)

Khaosod English ran the story and published the photos of the theft. +1 for Khaosod English!