Does a working permit entitles to full health coverage?

Marcel1

The only person who knows this in my company is out of the country and since my external accident insurance is about the expire I thought it would be good to consult here. :)

I am working in Thailand and have a valid working permit, I know that every year I get a small card from a insurance and also had to select 3 hospitals which they would bring me to in case something happens.

This is a card from AXA but, all in Thai. Now my Thai speaking is pretty good and menu's/roadsigns reading no problem but small cards like this are slightly difficult.

Believe me, if there was anyone in this company would could tell me more about this I wouldn't write this. :)

Does anyone know if this is a standard coverage what you get when you have a working permit or, that the company has different packages?

Also does anyone knows what is included? now I have an additional accident insurance since I ride quite often on the motorbikes and want to be good insured.

My bikes all have the top of the line insurance as well.

Additional I have to find out whether this insurance also has good coverage for cancer, stroke, coma, heart attack etc. etc. (I am mid 20's but you never know these days).

Thanks a lot for your help guys.,

Having a work permit does not automatically bring health care coverage. However, people who are in formal employment and enrolled in the social security scheme (bpragan sanghohm) do have a fairly comprehensive health care entitlement. From what you say about selecting an option from a list of hospitals it sounds as though you are enrolled. The benefit package is described here:

http://www.sso.go.th/wpr/eng/benefit.html

The only thing that I'm not sure about is the connection with AXA, as this is a government scheme. Perhaps you should show your card to some workmates and ask if it is bpragan sanghohm. Also look for the SSO logo on the card.

549f5c03a57869527f1722caac7764b9_img_Soc

Edited by citizen33

My firm asked me if I wanted accident insurance, it was very cheap like 2000 baht a year and covered up to 100k I think... wasn't worth it, I have BUPA.. I also had the SSO card..

The AXA card may be the same as the cheap accident insurance.

Edited by Satcommlee

" I know that every year I get a small card from a insurance and also had to select 3 hospitals which they would bring me to in case something happens.

This is a card from AXA..."

That doesn't sound like he has Social Security.

For the 3 hospitals specify that you would like Bumrungrad, Samitivej and Sukhumvit Hospitals. You will know from the reaction the true value of the insurance provided - more likely to be Clinic, Police Hospital and how much money is in your pocket at the time of admittance.

A Work Permit does not entitle you to FULL Health coverage at all; far from it.

Its down to you to measure the risk against how much you are personally going to invest in health insurance.

Did you think a small localized card would cover you.......strange assumption for Thailand.

For the 3 hospitals specify that you would like Bumrungrad, Samitivej and Sukhumvit Hospitals. You will know from the reaction the true value of the insurance provided - more likely to be Clinic, Police Hospital and how much money is in your pocket at the time of admittance.

A Work Permit does not entitle you to FULL Health coverage at all; far from it.

Its down to you to measure the risk against how much you are personally going to invest in health insurance.

Did you think a small localized card would cover you.......strange assumption for Thailand.

really can you please back up your claim. I know two people that have this card with wp and we're assigned to siracha queens hospital. I applied for my wp last week and was told I would be assigned a hospital 5 days after getting my w p.

As said in my Op I am mid 20's, so far from 60.

I didnt assumed anything just wrote down some possible options.

But I made some overseas phonecalls today alsince I wanted to know and got the contact information from someone at axa, after some researching it appears that I am fully covered for everything, also accidents, motorbike accidents, cancers etc. etc. so nothin to worry about and for me no need to disclose any other insurances.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts folks

Cheers

Maybe a stupid question, but i have a workpermit for 4 serried years already. I work as a teacher English, but never recieved a card for healthcare. Is this something everybody always gets or this depend on the arrangement with your school? Please help me out here. Thank you.

Private school? No social security, but many schools offer some type of insurance.

Government school? You should be enrolled in social security.

The school should be deducting and paying your social insurance irrespective of whether you are in a private or government school. Just because it is a private school it is not immune from paying social fee, if you have a work.permit.

• Like 1

Maybe a stupid question, but i have a workpermit for 4 serried years already. I work as a teacher English, but never recieved a card for healthcare. Is this something everybody always gets or this depend on the arrangement with your school? Please help me out here. Thank you.

Are you working legally, i.e. with the correct visa and workpermit? If so, the school should provide you with the social security, if not, you're working illegally, you have virtually no rights.

Are you working legally, i.e. with the correct visa and workpermit? If so, the school should provide you with the social security, if not, you're working illegally, you have virtually no rights.

I work legally and have all the proper papers such as workpermit, ministry of education (krusapa) and my visa. I work for 2 school that are temple schools, but i teach for free. maybe this is the cause why i didn't enroll yet.

Edited by monkie13

I work legally and have all the proper papers such as workpermit, ministry of education (krusapa) and my visa. I work for 2 school that are temple schools, but i teach for free. maybe this is the cause why i didn't enroll yet.

Yes, I think so. I'm not 100% sure, but if no salary I presume there is also not the social security obligation.

• Like 1

Whatever work permit you have, if you're over 60 the government will not admit you to its health scheme.

Not so it seems: Section 33 of the Social Security Act provides "the employee who has been over fifteen years of age and not more than sixty years of age, shall be insured person. The insured person under paragraph one who has become sixty years of age and has continually been an employee of the employer under this Act, shall be deemed to be an employee who is an insured person".

Section 38 provides that an insured person under Section 33 shall cease to be insured person upon cessation of being an employee. Sections 39 and 40 seemingly provide that on cessation of employment - and subject to having paid contributions for not less than 12 months - you can continue to be insured upon notification to SS and monthly payment of the relevant contributory amounts (I think of less than 500 baht per month).

I turn 60 later this year and am planning to retire in mid 2015. In my case:

1. I am presently an insured person, and will remain so while I am employed (and contributions are being made) whether on or after my 60th birthday.

2. On the above basis, I understand I can retain SS membership after retirement in 2015.

Edited by dinga

“…really can you please back up your claim. I know two people that have this card with wp and we're assigned to siracha queens hospital. I applied for my wp last week and was told I would be assigned a hospital 5 days after getting my w p.

Normally you have to be in the system for a time before they issue you a card or assign a hospital. You basically aren’t covered during that period.

I don’t know why the Labor Office would be talking about Social Security. Those are two completely different agencies. WP’s and SS have nothing to do with each other.

“The school should be deducting and paying your social insurance irrespective of whether you are in a private or government school. Just because it is a private school it is not immune from paying social fee, if you have a work.permit.”

Private school employees were taken out of the SS system a number of years ago.

Having a WP does not entitle you to SS.

“Are you working legally, i.e. with the correct visa and workpermit? If so, the school should provide you with the social security, if not, you're working illegally, you have virtually no rights.

Not every person working legally is eligible for SS.

You actually have a lot of rights under the Labor Act, even working without a WP.

“I work legally and have all the proper papers such as workpermit, ministry of education (krusapa) and my visa. I work for 2 school that are temple schools, but i teach for free. maybe this is the cause why i didn't enroll yet.

Temple schools are not government schools, I assume. That is why you aren’t enrolled – you aren’t eligible.

“I turn 60 later this year and am planning to retire in mid 2015. In my case:

1. I am presently an insured person, and will remain so while I am employed (and contributions are being made) whether on or after my 60th birthday.

2. On the above basis, I understand I can retain SS membership after retirement in 2015.”

(“if you're over 60 the government will not admit you to its health scheme.”)

I think you misread what was said. The person wrote that if 60,you won’t be admitted to the system. In your case, you are already in the system, so can remain in it.

Yes, you can remain in the system when you retire, quit work, are fired or lose eligibility any other way.

The fee is 432 baht a month. There is a simple form to fill out at the SS Office.

• Like 1

I think you misread what was said. The person wrote that if 60,you won’t be admitted to the system. In your case, you are already in the system, so can remain in it.

Yes, you can remain in the system when you retire, quit work, are fired or lose eligibility any other way.

The fee is 432 baht a month. There is a simple form to fill out at the SS Office.

You're right - my mistake - tks for the clarification (must be in the system prior to age 60).

My challenge now is to decide whether or not to rely on SS, and let my expensive InterGlobal policy lapse. Any thoughts on that welcomed!

"My challenge now is to decide whether or not to rely on SS, and let my expensive InterGlobal policy lapse. Any thoughts on that welcomed!"

I think that in the end, you have to make that choice yourself.

Evaluate your current health, maybe family history and where you plan on living.

If you don't plan on staying here, then you might want to keep a plan that will be good for wherever you end up.

SS is only 432 Baht a month.

Personally, I just have SS coverage. It works for me, but I can see where it might not work for all.

Terry

“…really can you please back up your claim. I know two people that have this card with wp and we're assigned to siracha queens hospital. I applied for my wp last week and was told I would be assigned a hospital 5 days after getting my w p.

Normally you have to be in the system for a time before they issue you a card or assign a hospital. You basically aren’t covered during that period.

I don’t know why the Labor Office would be talking about Social Security. Those are two completely different agencies. WP’s and SS have nothing to do with each other.

“The school should be deducting and paying your social insurance irrespective of whether you are in a private or government school. Just because it is a private school it is not immune from paying social fee, if you have a work.permit.”

Private school employees were taken out of the SS system a number of years ago.

Having a WP does not entitle you to SS.

“Are you working legally, i.e. with the correct visa and workpermit? If so, the school should provide you with the social security, if not, you're working illegally, you have virtually no rights.

Not every person working legally is eligible for SS.

You actually have a lot of rights under the Labor Act, even working without a WP.

“I work legally and have all the proper papers such as workpermit, ministry of education (krusapa) and my visa. I work for 2 school that are temple schools, but i teach for free. maybe this is the cause why i didn't enroll yet.

Temple schools are not government schools, I assume. That is why you aren’t enrolled – you aren’t eligible.

“I turn 60 later this year and am planning to retire in mid 2015. In my case:

2. On the above basis, I understand I can retain SS membership after retirement in 2015.”

Thank you for this helpfull information :) Now i took my own insurance by AIA .

• 3 weeks later...

Private school? No social security, but many schools offer some type of insurance.

Government school? You should be enrolled in social security.

The school should be deducting and paying your social insurance irrespective of whether you are in a private or government school. Just because it is a private school it is not immune from paying social fee, if you have a work.permit.

This is incorrect.

Government school employees are admitted to the sso scheme. Private school employees come under the regulations of the Private schools act. My employer pays for BUPA healthcare and we are not a part of the sso scheme, as much as I would like to be.

• 3 weeks later...

Our experience is that the Thai based insurance companies pay very little in case of a claim. The top plan on Siam insurance only paid about 22% of the bill of an operation at the Vejthani hospital.

In case of a car accident the car was fully covered