Archived (Locked) topics.

NomadJoe

It used to be that if you found a topic with no posts since, say, pre-2007 or so, it would be archived. That makes sense. But lately I am coming across more and more recent topics archived, some from 2012, even 2013. I believe it is a goal of moderators to prevent people from opening up redundant topics, and I fail to understand how archiving recent topics achieves this.

I always search to see if there is a topic already running before I start a new one, but now I keep getting 3-5 search results for any one subject, all archived, and I have to open yet another topic to continue a discussion, provide an update, or seek an update.

I realize that archiving is necessary for storage space management, but I suggest administrators reconsider increasing the default archive time. It would certainly make it easier for users to find a single, contiguous and updated thread on the subject they seek, as would it make life easier on people like myself who like to update topics as new information is found.

• 2 weeks later...

Mate, I discussed that issue recently here on the support Forum.

The topic gets archived if it stands dormant for 12 months.

Not disagreeing with the thrust of what you are saying ... just replying as you haven't received one to date.

• Like 1