Satellite TV - Australian VAST reception

carlyai

Living near Kuchinarari (lat. 16 32 27 N  long 104 03 00 E) and would like to explore satellite TV channel reception. There is a hotel in Pattaya that has about 6 dishes, all pointing at different directions, on the roof and they seem to get all the sports channels etc. I'd like to set up a large motor driven dish (like I had before in Bali) and do the same thing from here in Isaan.

In the north of Australia they have the new digital VAST network which is free to air and good channel selection. The satellite they use is the Optus C1 at location 156 degrees E. I looked up the satellite footprint and did not see it cover Thailand, but then did another search which said it 'may be possible' to get the coverage where i live. The resuts of the beam search for Optus C1 were: EIRP _41.0, Dish size >134 cm, obstruction factor = 0.46.

If I purchase the VAST set top box and the other hardware, does anyone know if I could receive TV channels from the Optus satellite?

Also, other satellites in the Kuchinarari footprint seem to carry the same channels as on the Optus satellite. I would particularly like to be able to watch the Ruby league matches from Australia. There must be ways I can get satellite TV channel reception other than by local providers.

(1) do not waste your money on a 25 meter dish (yes 25m) as it will not work, even the commercial CAT 25m dishes down in Chomburi can  not see the Optus birds

(2) get an IPTV box which will do it for you.

(3) or get an other payTV network that has the sport you want like Indovision or Fiji TV on IS19 

thanks very much joncl. I'll research IPTV as don't know anything about it and the other pay tv sites u suggest. i remember now that i once did a tour of the chonburi cat. I'm an old analogue man (we live in an analogue world, right?) and there were a lot of technicians there sitting down watching racing led's. being fairly new to fibre optics, and impressed by the small cable size, when I asked the bandwidth i think I remember one of the tech's saying 'from dc to light', preety impressive. But I wander, if I have further questions, should i put them on the forum or ask u directly joncl?

Thanks have had a look at Fiji TV and Indosat, but forgot to remember what the free to air stuff was. If I subscribed to Fiji TV and/or Indovision, then i may as well get the local True provider as works out roughly the same. I didn't want to look at the True option as have read so many complaints about them in the forums.

I wanted to stay away from the iptv option as the line of sight to two telcom towers (maybe DTAC and 12Call, not sure), runs thru the Lao Thailand HV transmission lines and i would suspect rf interferance (again not sure), also there are a couple of tree plantations in the way. Spose if I went down the IP internet branch I could get a yagi on a big bit of bamboo, attach the end to the signal in of a mobile, swing the yagi and see what happens to the signal strength, but there again signal strenght and streaming rate may not corrolate.

In a late reply from Aus I have heard from Aus that you MUST use the VAST decoder in Australia. So that killed that idea of using it over here. Also the source said that you can get the vast programs in thailand depending on the lnb and dish (don't think he was thinking about a 25 m dish). But seeing you can't use it over here i would never, ever think of persuing that idea. Maybe the Chonburi CAT didn't have the correct aerial set up? Maybe I should use True? Maybe the guy in Aus doesn't know and has not looked at the footprint map of OPtus C1 (there is also another set of data that i got with the beam search that i put in my first post, but havn't worked out exactly what it means yet). Maybe finding a 12call or dtac site broadcast map may help.

One thing i would like to know as well is that when they installed my vast system in the NT it had one decoder. I said I wanted to view the tv in the bedroom as well so he said just get a thru the wall tv transmitter  and a rec in the bedroom and they work fine. These units are available from JCar in darwin. The bit that i missed the guy installing vast saying was (not sure about this), he would install another ouput from the LNB so I could run the thru the wall tx/rx without getting another set top box. Can anyone expand on this, as it would mean that if i go down the True option I would only need one set top box.

Hi!
My hobby is the satellite reception since 20 years at home in Europe
I have a 3 meter channel master antenna with egis.org rotor!
I visit many earth station in my life
With 30 Meter antenna
Most of them you can See in braziil
Here in Thailand I have 2,49 mesh dynasat
Full size dishes with great quality

Are not avalible in Thailand !
How you will transport a 30 meter dish!
When you find a sponsor pay the cargo would be interesting to know what you can get more In Kuband
The austrialian beams disappear after
Indonesia in Bali reception with 2,40 m dish is possible
Only astralia network you can receive in Thailand fta
In Europe I have encrypted signal on 68 e cband for Australia network India still not have a smart card for it!
Send pm when you have time!
Philippine in Kuband also no signal since satellite change .. Here in Thailand
Cband you can receive everywhere
When you have free view
Thaicom in Europe also possible with large dish!
Ip tv not have something to do with
The hobby satellite dx

I don't think anybody has seriously suggested using a 30M dish (Called an 'Intelsat Standard A' by the way) these dishes are about 30 - 40 years old and cost $5 Million then..

Even with such a large dish, it still wouldn't work...

And finding a installer in Thai
Could be a new episode of mission imposissible
Some vast company's install worldwide
But operators of earth station told be many times , the risk of transport damage is very high
Then the antenna is warped ,no signal gain put in the bin and no insurance there pay you 5 million dollar when your name is not ESA or NASA!

No not at all, the are well with in  our view, the issue is on the Ku band, there are simply no global beams or spot beams no spill over and no footprint to Thailand.

@Joncl

Yes you are right

I was forgetting about the tight footprints generally used for Ku band :bah:

• Like 1

never reached my monthly limit yet, so I guess the answer is somewhere over a month. The point is and was that 3G does IPTV just fine.

So you are actually putting this across to the guy as being viable?? I guess he'd be wasting his money and not yours!

Let assume your IPTV is a low datarate like 1 Mbps

Most of the better 3G packages are around 3GB and costing around 800 Baht  (some are up to 10GB costing a lot more, others are only 1GB)

1 Second (1 Mbps = 0.125 MB per second)

1 Minute = 0.125 MB x 60 = 7.5 MB per minute

1 hour = 7.5 MB x 60 = 450 MB

6 hours 40 minutes = 3000 MB (3GB)

You have a pension for going why off topic I see.

No I was not suggesting he did this, if I was I would have suggested it as you did. And for the reason you stated re: data usage,  is why I did not suggest it.

I was however,  taking exception to your comment that 3G would not do IPTV which clearly is the opposite to what you stated above, it does it just fine.

Yes lof is 3620
European sband for police helicopter camera and public security cameras lof 3625 range!
Sband lnb I bought direct in Bali
But you also get on alibaba when you min order 10
Comes from mti Taiwan but this company never replys to mails
Indovision shop in Denpasar not want give me a box a installer want come same true here also when you have a antenna allready!
About the sband signal in bk and ne
Reception ok with 2,4
In Chiang may with 3 meter no signal!
In attach picture of setup
In Europe when I come home I make kaband tests lnb around 600 €
The Dish must have good quality old school out of production right now Andrew prodelin etc and a exactly attached feedhorn because kaband range very high
In attach picture of my sband setup 108,2 east![attachment=267631:ImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect Thailand1400581310.003013.jpg]

About the sband signal in bk and ne
Reception ok with 2,4
In Chiang may with 3 meter no signal!
In attach picture of setup

A simple little dynasat 5.5  foot Cband dish will work very well in Bangkok at  least mine did.  BTW unless you put longer LNB legs on your dish, you have a problem as your FP with your pictured Sband LNB will be way off it they are original legs for that dish. 65db on a 5.5 foot dynasat dish,  but I forget the full CNR readings.

High!
Most cband dish many factor also kti in the past have to short ones
How many db you have in bk signal strength ?
Iam In process of fine adjusting
Currecly 6,5 db in night time better
Then on day time Astro Malaysia signal .12,6 db
Hd sometime .6 db often disappear
Please pm me about indovision box if you have a source thank you!

Setanta.com. rugby, nrl & State of Origin or Across the Tasman website.

Hi Sammy,

If you (or anyone else registered) can do me a kindness of providing an invite to AcrossTheTasman.com I would be very grateful.

I would love to get access to the ARL State of Origin Telecasts (even if "delayed").and as it's the only ARL I watch I would rather not have to spend the money to subscribe to Setanta for 3 matches.

I think i have to go down the satellite path as I don't think my internet will every be reliable and satisfactory. So that leaves me with FijiTV (good free to air programs and upgradable to Fiji1), Indovision (but seems a problem obtaining some hardware), IS19 (not investigated yet) and Astro Malasia.

My next question is where to buy a motorized satellite dish and set top box that can access FijiTV, Indovision, IS19 and Astro plus others in our footprint.

When i was in china, a while ago, the guy next door had a satellite setup with Astro (i think). The set top box was made in China and he had a selection for decoder cards that he changed when security changed. Are options like that still avaliable?