Satellite TV - Australian VAST reception

carlyai

One good think about either satellite TV or IPTV during times like this they still work and you still see everything. 

Not really. The Military shutdown the ThaiCom feeds so unless your satellite dish is pointed to another satellite, your satellite doesn't work.

Edited by BB1950

If you are an expat like many on TV why would you use Thaicom?

There is so much choice these days both free to view and payTV .. We get over 32 satellites here in Thailand. so there is so much choice .. 

If you are an expat like many on TV why would you use Thaicom?

There is so much choice these days both free to view and payTV .. We get over 32 satellites here in Thailand. so there is so much choice .. 

If you have Thais in your home it's a necessity. They can't do without it. I myself never watch ThaiCom.

You will be able to get most things you a can get everywhere else, but you may need to shop around.

PSI 10' dual band or Dynasat 7.5' dual band move dishes are good for free to view TV albeit they come crippled on the DVS-S and DVB-S2 receiver front so you need to add the other satellites and transponders in their set top boxes.  If your installer is worth his salt you will get about 120 free Ku band channels on Thaicom and NNS6. Make sure they (your installers) set it up from 68e to 169e which will mean a 24' actuator not the 18' they sell to keep the price down.

This will equate to over 1,720 FTA channels in all languages across 32 satellites..  

Also make sure they will support you going forward (this is a biggy)

When you get used to that (make sure the set top box does both SD/HD i.e DVB-s and DVB-S2)  get a decent set top box (and dish mover) 

Edited by joncl

Joncl thanks.

I will be the installer, so I have support going forward. The roof on my new house build is going up, I have nearly finalised the order for my kits to build my new stereo amp plus kit speakers, I have picked out and ordered my new BBQ and smoker, got my new knees ordered for next year, and still got the rest of the year off before I go back to work, so got time for another project

And with your help ....., what can go wrong?

If you have never installed a dual band (C/Ku) move dish before, it basically takes anywhere up to and over four times as long to install than a simple fixed dish.  Remember there are two Clarke belt arc's one for the cband and one for the kuband.  So you are aligning in effect two dishes in one, that needs to see everything from 68.5e to 169e on both bands.

This stops many a person in their tracks. They get the cband working but not the kuband, and visa versa, so take a deep breath.

Good luck.

EDIT: Admins - proxy errors see google????

Edited by joncl

joncl  thanks for your info and you didn't get my last posts. If I spend a couple of days around baan Mor near china town do you think I could pick up all the satellite gear I need? Do you know the name of any shops there to visit?

What testing equipment would you buy to make receiving the C and Ku ban easier when I set up the dish?

Sorry can help with that as the shops I have used are no longer there, so I would go to 9sats and ask them.

Any dvb-S or S2 sat meter is ideal for setting up fixed dishes .. Any idea sat brand is good, they have a good cheap hand held meter (stb in your hand) and will work with any diseqc 1.2 dish mover too.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

I get in my car and drive to the Sat9 shop and ask the man for: A PSI 10' dual band or Dynasat 7.5' deal band move dish with a 24' actuator. A set top box SD/HD ie DVB-S and DVB S2 for C and KU bands and a DVB-S or S2 sat metre.

Or go to his web site or email him to see what he has in stock, but essentially yes do that.. But I go back to my original comments you want to buy it from someone local to you.

Ok thanks again for the advice. I won't buy anything until I check out who can do the job in my local area. I have had a bit of a look around and all I can see outside the shops is for the local fixed dish suppliers or true vision dishes.

Do you know of a good text to download on tuning C and Ku bands?  I have downloaded a couple of satellite books and there are some references on Google, but do you know of a good reference, I mean a practical reference by someone who has done it and is using the test equip etc?

• 2 months later...
Found the hardware and a guy who seems to know what hes talking about. Or i can understand half of what he says and answers my technical questions. Trouble is it all wont fit in the suv without some car modification
. So got a price for the hardware ok . To get it shipped to kuchinarai maybe a few thousand baht so trying to negotiate he come up and install it about 10000 b . Seems reasonable. And besides my lovely wife said he had a nice face translates to honest. I think so too.

Thanks for scaring me of installing it myself.