Lao plane carrying defence chief crashes: Thai official

Lite Beer

Lao plane carrying defence chief crashes: Thai official

BANGKOK, May 17, 2014 (AFP) - A Lao military plane carrying top officials including the defence minister crashed on Saturday in the north of the communist country, a Thai official said, without giving details of any casualties.

About 20 people were on board including Defence Minister Douangchay Phichit, the Vientiane governor and other prominent figures, foreign ministry spokesman Sek Wannamethee told AFP.

There was no immediate confirmation from Laos's secretive government.

The officials were believed to be travelling to an official ceremony in the northeastern province of Xiangkhouang.

Laos has had 30 fatal air accidents since the 1950s, according to the Aviation Safety Network.

In October last year a civilian airplane operated by Lao Airlines plunged into the Mekong River in bad weather killing all 49 people on board.

The landlocked country of about seven million people has an authoritarian one-party government and is one of Asia's poorest nations.

afplogo.jpg
-- (c) Copyright AFP 2014-05-17

Lao air force plane crash kills defence minister, 21 others

Vientiane: -- At least 22 people including the defence minister were killed when a Lao air force plane crashed Saturday, officials said.

The victims included three members of the ruling Communist Party’s central committee. Three people reportedly survived the crash.

The plane crashed at about 8 am in the north-eastern province of Xiangkhuang, killing Defence Minister Duangchay Phichit, who was also a deputy prime minister and member of the party’s politburo, a source close to him said.

Also killed were Public Security Minister Thongban Saengaphon, Vientiane Mayor Soukan Mahalat and party propaganda chief Chuang Sombounkhan, sources confirmed.

The group was en route to a ceremony marking the 55th anniversary of the 2nd Battalion’s victory over royalist forces.

Laos has been under communist rule since 1975.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-05-17

assignation by aircraft reminds me of the helicopter crash that took out the cambo police chief not too long back

What does "assignation" mean?

it the PC term for its more dasterous close anagram

dasterous mean? no going to tell you

Edited by The byaMemo

assignation by aircraft reminds me of the helicopter crash that took out the cambo police chief not too long back

it the PC term for its more dasterous close anagram

dasterous mean? no going to tell you

I have survived many assignations.

• Like 2

Sad news in deed, I bet it was one of them decrepit Russian planes that crushed, as they

still use those quite frequently...

The Ukrainian-made An-74 TK300 aircraft crashed while coming into land, just four kilometers from the airstrip. The plane was brand new, delivered to Laos in 2009 for carrying VIP passengers.

Brand new when delivered in 2009.

http://rt.com/news/159576-laos-plane-crash-top-brass/

• Like 2

Sad news in deed, I bet it was one of them decrepit Russian planes that crushed, as they

The Ukrainian-made An-74 TK300 aircraft crashed while coming into land, just four kilometers from the airstrip. The plane was brand new, delivered to Laos in 2009 for carrying VIP passengers.

Nothing wrong with old aircraft if maintained correctly. but i find it strange also they consider it new.

What does "Google" mean?

So, it came into land when it came in to land?

Many senior Lao officials killed in plane crash
Supalak Ganjanakhundee
The Sunday Nation

30233910-01_big.jpg

Rescue workers search an air force plane crash site in Xieng Khouang province in the north of Laos yesterday. Five senior officials were killed, including Lao Defence Minister Douangchay Phichit.

LAOS: -- Many senior government officials, including Deputy PM and Defence Minister Douangchay Phichit, were killed when their plane crashed in Xieng Khouang province in the north of Laos early yesterday.

They were flying to attend a commemoration ceremony.

Also killed in the crash were Minister of Public Security Thongbanh Seng-aphone, the Communist Party's propaganda chief Cheuang Sombounkhanh and Vientiane Mayor Soukanh Mahalath.

The Lao Air Force plane, a Russian AN 74TK300, left the capital Vientiane yesterday morning with senior military officers and other government officials. They were heading to Xieng Khouang to attend a ceremony marking the opening of the Lao Army's 2nd Division in the province. There were about 20 people on board, including state officials and members of the crew.

The flight crashed in Nadee village in Xieng Khouang's Peak district at 7am - a kilometre or so from the airport it was heading to, Lao News Agency said, adding that the cause of the crash was being investigated.

Douangchay's wife Thanda Phichit and some of his close aides also died in the accident, though three people, including a flight attendant, reportedly survived, sources in Vientiane said.

Douangchay, 69, was regarded as the second generation of Lao leaders and is believed to have climbed the political ladder quickly following the footsteps of President Choummaly Sayasone. He entered the Politburo, the inner circle of the ruling party, and took the helm of Defence in 2001.

Thailand's Defence Ministry's permanent-secretary Niphat Thonglek yesterday expressed his condolences, saying he had known the late minister for more than 15 years.

Niphat said he was scheduled to meet Doungchay on Monday during an Asean Defence Ministers' meeting in Myanmar. "I will pay my respects and attend his funeral in Laos," he said.

The late Minister of Public Security Thongbanh and Vientiane Mayor Soukanh were also key people in the Lao political leadership, while propaganda chief Cheuang was seen as a rising star in the ruling party.

Mountainous Xieng Khouang province in the North of Laos is a risky area for aviation due to its terrain and weather conditions. The drama follows a plane crash in last October, when a Laos Airlines ATR72 crashed into the Mekong River in Pakse, killing all 44 people on board.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-05-18

assignation by aircraft reminds me of the helicopter crash that took out the cambo police chief not too long back, wonder if Vientiane will become more visitable now.

I suppose you mean English spelling . Agsassination

Edited by peterquixote

russia has annexed ukraine in the last few hour already?

No not at all Commenter. This will take a long time.

The collapse of the USA leadership, and the bureaucracy of EU will be fitted into the schedule.

One day at a time, one hectare at a time, bringing the Russian speakers in with Military support.

Google it.

Those big "shots', must have had so many enemies. But I'd first blame Russian technology and almost no service for a plane.

Hope they don't Bang Fai in that area. Birds?

Edited by lostinisaan

assignation by aircraft reminds me of the helicopter crash that took out the cambo police chief not too long back, wonder if Vientiane will become more visitable now.

I suppose you mean English spelling . Agsassination

yes correct, it was as noted a rural event

The Ukrainian-made An-74 TK300 aircraft crashed while coming into land, just four kilometers from the airstrip. The plane was brand new, delivered to Laos in 2009 for carrying VIP passengers.[/size]

Brand new when delivered in 2009. [/size]

So, it came into land when it came in to land?

OK, we got you.

Following on to a previous poster, most large commercial organisations won't normally allow more than 2 senior executives to fly on the same aircraft. Not through risks of assassination but just the disruption to business through the loss of several key personnel simultaneously.

It did surprise me to read that (similar to the Laos flight) the acting PM of Thailand flew to Chang Mai last week with a number of close associates. Then again...

Definitely sad news. If I am ever in the position of power to fly over the people I wouldn't stop to piss on I will allocate more finances to my airplanes. I also wouldn't put my eggs all in one basket.

RIP

We can only hope that Laos will continue to remain a hub of equality and democratic principles given the loss of such great and compassionate leaders. It is like everybody around me in Laos has lived personally through this tragedy and I am sure it is the same feeling in Vang Vieng.

We can only hope that Laos will continue to remain a hub of equality and democratic principles

pardon? are you trying to move hubs out of thailand? i think this is a more serious offense that cross border transportation of soi dogs. careful now.

Edited by The byaMemo

"We can only hope that Laos will continue to remain a hub of equality and democratic principles given the loss of such great and compassionate leaders. It is like everybody around me in Laos has lived personally through this tragedy and I am sure it is the same feeling in Vang Vieng."

Certainly not the sentiment of anyone I know in Laos, I hope u are joking...millions of malnourished people while the gov't officials live off the wealth of the country.