Update from Suvarnabhumi airport

Thanks for update. I feel less worry for my plane on june 1 (to june 28). I have 5 stamps of visa exempts during the last year so i m a little bit worry, but looks good.

I was quite worried too to be honest, but it went really smooth...

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Where did this G7 come into the picture?

Just mentioned it as there seem to be some countries that are more under the radar of immigration (korea, russia...), and for what was said none of g7 countries is

• Like 1

Just mentioned it as there seem to be some countries that are more under the radar of immigration (korea, russia...), and for what was said none of g7 countries is

ok, so guess Scandinavia goes clear aswell :)

whistling.gif Yes, that's good.

But remember the changes are supposed to also go into effect at Suvarnabhumi also on 12 August.

Or rather, the last day under the current system for out-in exit and re-entry at the airport is 12 August.

On the 13th of August the new system also goes into effect at the airport for those out-in visa runs by air.

So, assuming that is true, plan ahead and if you leave and intend to return get yourself at least a tourist visa to return with.

Maybe it won't be needed, but far better to be safe with a tourist visa and out a few dollars in your pocket than to be not allowed to re-enter with those few extra dollars in your pocket.

Right?

Edited by IMA_FARANG

whistling.gif Yes, that's good.

But remember the changes are supposed to also go into effect at Suvarnabhumi also on 12 August.

Or rather, the last day under the current system for out-in exit and re-entry at the airport is 12 August.

On the 13th of August the new system also goes into effect at the airport for those out-in visa runs by air.

So, assuming that is true, plan ahead and if you leave and intend to return get yourself at least a tourist visa to return with.

Maybe it won't be needed, but far better to be safe with a tourist visa and out a few dollars in your pocket than to be not allowed to re-enter with those few extra dollars in your pocket.

Right?

The problem with applying for a TR if you don't plan to stay beyond what your ordinary Visa Exempt allows is that the Embassy will ask you why not just use your Visa Exempt privilege to enter Thailand ?

And since we're on this topic, with the recent crackdown on back to back visa runs, does that mean we now revert to the 90 days within 180 days ruling ?

No it will not. That is long dead. That rule did not work and was a big headache for immigration as well.

• Like 1

The last time I made a visa run I exited and reentered through the Ban Pakkard border crossing. I used a multiple entry non-immigrant O visa and was informed that the officer was making an exception stamping me in for 90 days and that I either needed to get my visa in order (one year extension) or leave through the aiport next time. Perhaps one can expect to be more thoroughly scrutinized at land crossings but arrivals by air are dealt with a bit more leniently?

Edited by CPT

I entered yesterday morning on my second tourist visa of the year issued in London. No queries from the official, despite my passport containing lots of multi entry O visas, and no problems with the Embassy either on application.

It (the visa) took 3 days, since you asked. Applied on a Tuesday and it was back on the Friday.

Good news.

I will fly out in around 4 weeks back to the UK and have a double entry + 6 back to back border corssings in my passport and even though I'm not working here illegally or doing anything I shouldn't be I can see why it would look suspect so was slightly concerned about it.

Hopefully there's no hassle for anyone before August 13th. I plan to be out the country for the rest of the year so coming back in isn't an issue for me.

I entered yesterday morning on my second tourist visa of the year issued in London. No queries from the official, despite my passport containing lots of multi entry O visas, and no problems with the Embassy either on application.

It (the visa) took 3 days, since you asked. Applied on a Tuesday and it was back on the Friday.

Did you use ordinary post or Special Delivery?

The last time I made a visa run I exited and reentered through the Ban Pakkard border crossing. I used a multiple entry non-immigrant O visa and was informed that the officer was making an exception stamping me in for 90 days and that I either needed to get my visa in order (one year extension) or leave through the aiport next time. Perhaps one can expect to be more thoroughly scrutinized at land crossings but arrivals by air are dealt with a bit more leniently?

Perhaps a grumpy officer. I think you will always be allowed back in country perhaps some questions and answers to prove you are not working here illegally.

Perhaps a grumpy officer. I think you will always be allowed back in country perhaps some questions and answers to prove you are not working here illegally.

I suspect you are correct. The officer was rather rude and the whole operation at that particular crossing was very unprofessional.

• Like 1

I am glad you mentioned G7. It would make a difference, I suppose, as the crackdown was aimed at Koreans, Vietnamese, etc....by their own admission, not mine.

Your report was nice to know.

• Like 1

ok, so guess Scandinavia goes clear aswell smile.png

No, no country in Scandinavia is a G7 country. The G7 referred to in Thailand's 30-day entry allowance are the US, UK, Canada, France, Italy, Germany, and Japan. Although, the G7 were traditionally a group of the seven most advanced economies in the world, those seven countries no longer are. Times have changed, but the list has yet to change. According to money.cnn.com, Canada and Italy should be replaced by China and Brazil, based on per capita GDP. However, according to economywatch.com, which bases its list on PPP GDP--which is more realistic because Purchasing Power Parity is based on cost of living rather than on individual income--the UK, France, Canada and Italy would have to be removed. Its list, in order, is the US, China, Japan, India, Russia, Germany, and Brazil. Of course, China is fast overtaking the US and the good ole UK has fallen to number eight in the world and number three in Europe.

• Like 1

Since 1st Nov. 2013, G7/G8 states were given favored nation status, meaning,

citizens of those nations where given 30 days visa free stay in the Kingdom on

air OR land crossings.

ok, so guess Scandinavia goes clear aswell smile.png

No, no country in Scandinavia is a G7 country. The G7 referred to in Thailand's 30-day entry allowance are the US, UK, Canada, France, Italy, Germany, and Japan. Although, the G7 were traditionally a group of the seven most advanced economies in the world, those seven countries no longer are. Times have changed, but the list has yet to change. According to money.cnn.com, Canada and Italy should be replaced by China and Brazil, based on per capita GDP. However, according to economywatch.com, which bases its list on PPP GDP--which is more realistic because Purchasing Power Parity is based on cost of living rather than on individual income--the UK, France, Canada and Italy would have to be removed. Its list, in order, is the US, China, Japan, India, Russia, Germany, and Brazil. Of course, China is fast overtaking the US and the good ole UK has fallen to number eight in the world and number three in Europe.

This would imply that there was no G7 in Nov 2013. Russia joined 1998 and got kicked out March 2014.

"The Group of Eight (G8) was the name of a forum for the governments of a group of eight leading industrialised countries, that was originally formed by six leading industrialised countries and subsequently extended with two additional members. Russia, which was invited to join as the last member, was excluded from the forum by the other members on March 24, 2014, as a result of its involvement in the 2014 Crimea crisis in Ukraine. Thus the group now comprises seven nations and will continue to meet as the G7 group of nations.

The forum originated with a 1975 summit hosted by France that brought together representatives of six governments: France, West Germany, Italy, Japan, the United Kingdom, and the United States, thus leading to the name Group of Six or G6. The summit became known as the Group of Seven or G7 the following year with the addition of Canada."

Since 1st Nov. 2013, G7/G8 states were given favored nation status, meaning,

citizens of those nations where given 30 days visa free stay in the Kingdom on

air OR land crossings.

It was only the G7 countries that got the 30 day entry at a border crossing. Russians were already getting 30 day entries because of a bilateral agreement with Thailand.

• Like 1

'Just came in thru Swampy myself a few hours ago. My passport probably not as "interesting" as some, but a couple of border runs and my share of 30d stamps. Nothing out of the ordinary. The immigration hall really wasn't crowded at all, nevertheless the only attention being given was to what looked like a group of chinese who hadn't filled out their arrival cards. Business as usual. I had onward ticket ready to show, but not asked - no discussion at all.

BTW, wrt the martial law declaration, no military presence at Swampy that I saw (then again, I wasn't then aware of it and so not looking).

Immigration has said they won't begin enforcing their new approach to out/in trips at the airport until mid-August. So right now, there really shouldn't be any change being noticed there, if they're keeping their word.

But save this thread until mid-August, and then let's see what kind of traveler reports are emerging from the airport.

I suspect you are correct. The officer was rather rude and the whole operation at that particular crossing was very unprofessional.

I was under the impression that non-imm O or B visas (could be with or without work permit) allow a 90 day stay in the country and you can exit and re-enter an unlimited number of times without problems. I have never heard that they were about to abolish these visa types and force people to go for extensions of stay. I too have been on non-B multiple entries before and expect to get a new one for business opportunities while I actually work in another country. I expect to be able to get a 12 month multi entry non-B from my home country as in the past. Unless this has changed?

Sounds like a grumpy officer but of course just because immigration officials have never talked to the foreigners whose passports they process in the past, doesn't mean that they won't do so from now on. I don't think immigration was ever meant to be a pleasant experience.

Hello all,

I just came thru Suvarnabhumi a few hours ago without any problems after a two day trip to Singapore. I've been using 30 day visa exemptions since March so this is my 3rd back to back.

I'll probably cycle thru KL next month and pick up a tourist visa for the remainder of my stay (September).