US Tourist Visa for Thai Citizen

I've read a few other threads about the process of obtaining a tourist (B2) visa for Thai people, but as every case is different I'm looking for some information and advice on my specific situation.

I'm traveling back to the US for two months at the beginning of June, and I want my Thai girlfriend to meet me there around the beginning of July, to stay for a month to meet my family and such and then fly back to Thailand with me.

Firstly, we only have about 6-8 weeks to get the visa, will this in any way affect it?

Secondly, what type of probability am I looking at for her to actually get the visa, and how can I prove her case? It seems like the main goal is to prove that she has ties in Thailand and will return after a month, but I don't know how to prove that to them. She has a decent job working for a logistics company in Chiang Mai, but has only worked there for about eight months. She has no property in Thailand, no children, really nothing I can point to that proves she'll return. She has family here of course, but that and her job are about it.

The more I'm reading about this the more pessimistic I'm becoming about the prospect of her being able to get this visa, even though she has every intention of returning after a month. I'm really trying to determine if this even worth the time and money, and if so what angle she can play that has the highest probability of success. Any advice would be appreciated.

I've lived here for two years but I don't have a work permit, so I think it's best to leave me completely out of it. From what I've read including a male in it only creates further complications.

My plan is to get an invitation letter from my step mother (I'm figuring a letter from a woman will be less suspicious than a man) in the US, inviting her over for a vacation. My girlfriend has visited the US previously under similar circumstances as the invitation letter will suggest, and she was able to obtain the visa then with no problems. Also, I suppose it can't hurt her case that she's been to the US and returned to Thailand already. She also has visas to a number of other countries on her current passport.

Her employer is also going to write a letter stating how long she'll be gone for and when she's returning to work. I'm hoping these two documents as well as her visa history will provide a strong enough basis for them to determine that she will be returning. If there's anything else you think would be beneficial then I'd welcome any suggestions.

Josh

I'm kind of wondering if when the interviewing ConOff sees an invitation letter from your step-mother if your name might pop up, if it does, then your GF should have some explanations handy. Especially so, as you say she's been to the U.S. before "under similar circumstances," not with you, I presume.

At least having been to the U.S. previously does add in her favor that she'll return.

Back to you for a moment. I think it also adds to her benefit if there's a case that you'll be returning to Thailand after your two months vacation. This happened when my now wife got her first two U.S. visas, all the ConOff looked at was my passport, my car registration, and the lease in my name. At the time I was here on Non-O tourist visas, not yet on retirement extensions. This example has also been the case for a number of other BF-GF visa situations reported here on TV.

So, recommend you take a look at your situation here and evaluate if it adds to the case.

BTW, time is running short and visa appointments may be difficult to get so you'd better get cracking on this, the Consulate may be getting right busy now.

Mac

I agree with you, I'll make sure she comes up with an explanation if my name comes up, but I don't see it why it should. If it does I'll do everything I can to provider her with a case explaining why I'll be returning, and presenting my visas and such. I honestly think our best bet is to just avoid bringing me into it if possible though.

My girlfriend previously worked for an NGO that was based in the US, and traveled there before to visit friends she had met through the NGO. I'm thinking that going with a similar explanation this time around makes sense. My father has been to Thailand before and previously worked for an NGO based here, so I think her saying she met my step mother and him while he was here and they were involved in the same industry is reasonable.

I'm going to looking at booking the appointment asap, possibly tomorrow if I can work out the invitation letter getting sent. Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it.

I agree with you, I'll make sure she comes up with an explanation if my name comes up, but I don't see it why it should. If it does I'll do everything I can to provider her with a case explaining why I'll be returning, and presenting my visas and such. I honestly think our best bet is to just avoid bringing me into it if possible though.

My girlfriend previously worked for an NGO that was based in the US, and traveled there before to visit friends she had met through the NGO. I'm thinking that going with a similar explanation this time around makes sense. My father has been to Thailand before and previously worked for an NGO based here, so I think her saying she met my step mother and him while he was here and they were involved in the same industry is reasonable.

I'm going to looking at booking the appointment asap, possibly tomorrow if I can work out the invitation letter getting sent. Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it.

She has so much going for her to get a visa and you're going to advise her to lie?

Oh what a tangled web we weave ….

Honesty is always the best policy. They're good at catching made up on the spot answers and what is known as "distancing language," (which she might be forced to use if they ask details about meeting your father) and she'll likely be caught out.

If they can prove any fraud, there go any future visas. A document submitted with verifiable untruths is a sure way to never get a visa.

Well none of it is a lie, I just see no reason to include me in it. The rest of it is basically truth. It just seems like the chance of success will be higher if it's based on the pretense that she's visiting friends from her old line of work (the same reason she previously went to the US) instead of she's going there to see a guy.

They don't ask about a boyfriend. In fact your involvement can't help her. Nothing wrong with applying for it on her own merit, and your name shouldn't come up at all. Good luck, I think your chance of success is high.

They don't ask about a boyfriend. In fact your involvement can't help her. Nothing wrong with applying for it on her own merit, and your name shouldn't come up at all. Good luck, I think your chance of success is high.

But they do ask on the DS-156 Question 28. Who will pay for your trip?

The invitation letter will state that my step mother is paying for it. I agree with inzman that there's just nothing to be gained from involving me in it, it gives the trip entirely different connotations and it also opens up the can of worms which is my status in Thailand, that doesn't help her case.

Anyway I'm fairly confident that this approach is the best way to go, even if it involves a little bending of the truth and convenient exclusion of information. Her previous visa and employment history as well as excellent English skills will hopefully be enough.

So is your step-Mother paying for or are you going to give her the money to pay for it?

Why would some the TGF has never met be willing to pay for her trip (expect this line of questioning)

Well they will have met as far as they know, but yes I'll be paying for it. I've decided I'll have my father and step mother sign it, since my Dad has Thai visas in his passport which I can include as supporting evidence, and he's a PhD which can't hurt. It'll just look like a family she met previously inviting her to stay with them for a vacation, which it is really.

I know it's not ideal, but I still feel like it's a better route to go than bringing me into it.

Well none of it is a lie, I just see no reason to include me in it. The rest of it is basically truth. It just seems like the chance of success will be higher if it's based on the pretense that she's visiting friends from her old line of work (the same reason she previously went to the US) instead of she's going there to see a guy.

Well yes, it is a lie, Josh. And worse than lying yourself, you are telling her to lie while you wait outside. And both your parents at that, by way of false statements in documents, as well as saying she met your father during a time when he was in Thailand working for the same NGO, which, in fact, never happened.

You probably didn’t look up “distancing language.” You have used it in every post you’ve made, including the original. I was a city cop and took courses in recognizing it. What is it? It’s the evasive phrasing of words to avoid outright lying, or to avoid a painful reality when telling the truth. Your girlfriend will engage in it, no matter how much you coach her. And it’s not only city cops who take courses in recognizing it, consulate officers do too.

Plus now you’ve posted a number of identifying details about your girlfriend, and when she’s coming in—with a made up story.

ConOffs read this forum everyday, Josh. Some even post here.

I’m not judging you. Actually, I feel for you. I know the stress and the sometimes unfairness of the process because my GF is soon going for a visa herself. I have one Ed visa, and four retirement extensions in my passport, and she’ll use me for her reason to return. I told my GF to tell the truth no matter what, and whatever happens, we’ll go from there. Lying in a document is worst of all. The State Department can deny any visas from that day forward, even if you guys get married.

Either way, I genuinely wish you the best of luck.

Hi Josh,

It really is more about you and your ties to Thailand. In post #4, Mac remarks about “a number of other BF-GF visa situations”. I’m one of those, and my case was pretty darn close to yours, except I had only been living in Thailand for a year, and on an O visa not attached to marriage of retirement. I’m certain the only reason she was approved for a 10 year B-2 visa was because we were completely honest about everything, INCLUDING ME, and the fact my passport was the first thing my GF handed the officer. Actually, you got one up on me. My GF had never been to the US before.

Josh, please read HeijoshinCool’s posts again. He is spot on.

The officers are not out to get you, and your GF can only be tripped up on questioning if your not completely honest, or hiding something.

Good luck, and keep us informed.

Shot

• Like 1

I agree with them. u are giving your gf the worest advice anyone can give

your so called bending the truth is = to full immigration fraud to u s immigration. and could get her banned for life your not a very good bf if u ask her to risk her visa for life immigration can spot out ( bending the truth) or just leave that part out in a hart beat at least if truthful. can always try agen

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

The OP states that his girlfriend received a Tourist visa for the US in the past

What is wrong with following exactly the same procedure she used then

The main criteria in the mind of the US consular official is whether or not she will return. She has proved that she will return in the past, so why change success , stop making everything so complicated and just do what she did before

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't "bend" the truth whatsoever. I would say the truth 100%. My girlfriend and I were in a similar situation. She has no land and is 24. Makes about 24k a month. She is also in school and I have a student visa and am doing my masters in Thailand. I wrote an invitation letter stating our relationship (we've been together for 3 years), that we are both in school, and that we will return to Thailand together (she reserved a ticket on the same flight that I had already bought tickets for). We brought a letter from my mom inviting her to stay at her house and a list of contacts in the USA (my parent's phone numbers, email address, and house address). We also brought pictures of our dogs and a reservation to board him at a kennel when we were gone. Brought my receipt for tuition at school and hers, plus a letter of leave from her job. I didn't sponsor her but instead we had her dad do it and brought documentation of his land. I still brought my last two bank statement info and my 2013 taxes.

The interview took about 3 minutes and he mostly asked about me and our dog. She got approved at Chiang Mai. This was her 3rd attempt and the 1st 2 times she was denied as I was in America with no plan to actually return to Thailand.

If you have an official visa in Thailand (not tourist) and are returning to Thailand with her, it's going to look good. Since she's been there already, her chances are going to be good as well. Might as well tell the truth. It seems that having the right documentation is the most important part.

• 1 month later...

My girlfriend just got one, 10 year tourist visa. We prepared like hell after reading this and some other threads. It was totally unnecessary as the whole thing was a breeze. Interview took 10 minutes tops and no hardball questions at all.

I was not a part of the conversation. She showed them a letter from her employer confirming her job in Thailand (clerical/admin position). The interviewer then asked her what she planned to do in her travels. She mentioned a few cities and places she wanted to visit as a tourist and that she also wanted to improve her English along the way. The guy then said it sounded like a nice trip and have fun. Literally took less than 10 minutes.

We were freaked out about the process from reading all these horror stories but in the end she did all this homework and had all this documentation ready for nothing. Well, better to be over-prepared than under-prepared I suppose.

My girlfriend just got one, 10 year tourist visa. We prepared like hell after reading this and some other threads. It was totally unnecessary as the whole thing was a breeze. Interview took 10 minutes tops and no hardball questions at all.

I was not a part of the conversation. She showed them a letter from her employer confirming her job in Thailand (clerical/admin position). The interviewer then asked her what she planned to do in her travels. She mentioned a few cities and places she wanted to visit as a tourist and that she also wanted to improve her English along the way. The guy then said it sounded like a nice trip and have fun. Literally took less than 10 minutes.

We were freaked out about the process from reading all these horror stories but in the end she did all this homework and had all this documentation ready for nothing. Well, better to be over-prepared than under-prepared I suppose.

I disagree that preparing was "unnecessary" or, "documentation ready for nothing". If she did get the visa, it was because she was well or over prepared, which in turn gave her the confidence to back it up.

Please let us know your status in Thailand, as it may help others.