Gassed Again, not its DL's

RawaiPlaBoyz

OK Expats on retirement. Every time you want to engage in a business transaction its "work permit"

Credit cards, post pay any services, hospital ect. We all know that most of the "work permit crowd" don't make enough to meet the financial requirements of O-A or an extension of stay.

Latest at us retiree's Driving License is now only for one year. I've had a Thai lic for 9 years and no violations or accidents.

My land lady whom is a well established family of significant means and longevity in Phuket responded that they just want more money and that the new government would change this about the DL.

I know most times I'm refused services because I'm comfortably retired it just takes a bit of Thai style coxing I get my way but the DL thing is over the top. I know of a nearby Asean county who has very laxed rules and I'll have theirs for my permanent lic,..\

Say no to corruption

CPC

post-173745-0-08265000-1400541708.jpg

I think what the OP is trying to say is, shortly, even those on long visas here, like a retirement visa, will not get a 5 year drivering/rinding licence.

Foreigners on all visa classes will only receive a 1 year driving/riding licence.

If this is true, then I can officially say, I, on my tourist visa, would then have the exact same rights as all of those on long term visas here. :)

This came up in a recent thread and the only benefit of a long term visa over a tourist visa was the ability to get a 5 year driving/riding licence.

If the OP is true, there would be not one single benefit of a long term visa over a tourist visa.

Where did this info come from OP, or is it a troll post?

I think what the OP is trying to say is, shortly, even those on long visas here, like a retirement visa, will not get a 5 year drivering/rinding licence.

Foreigners on all visa classes will only receive a 1 year driving/riding licence.

If this is true, then I can officially say, I, on my tourist visa, would then have the exact same rights as all of those on long term visas here. smile.png

This came up in a recent thread and the only benefit of a long term visa over a tourist visa was the ability to get a 5 year driving/riding licence.

If the OP is true, there would be not one single benefit of a long term visa over a tourist visa.

Extensions will get you 5 year DL.

I think maybe not troll but a misunderstanding.

You must have a long term residence...one year to get a 5 year licence.

They do say work permit....or yellow tabian bahn or letter from immigration or embassy but this is not related to the 5 year. If someone told you thatt they were wrong.

If this is true, then I can officially say, I, on my tourist visa, would then have the exact same rights as all of those on long term visas here. smile.png

No need to leave country every three months;

No worry about immigration changing the rules to disallow more than a certain number of consecutive entries;

The ability to renew the visa in Thailand;

Only one payment of 1900 baht (unless you require a re-entry permit);

I'm sure there are more reasons that a long-term visa is better if you qualify.

And for the record I don't think the OP is correct. I'll have more idea next week when I renew my licence.

• Like 1

Troll Not.. Was in then Phuket Gazzie.. Anybody here read that partner ot this board. Well, as to not one single bennie of a long term visa over a a tourist visa.. No insertion of a new poster...especially from the moddies .. NKM is doing the trolling. You can get a DL on a tourist visa sans a residence cert from Immi? ???????????

I'm on year 9 of my Thai DL!

CPC

Troll Not.. Was in then Phuket Gazzie.. Anybody here read that partner ot this board. Well, as to not one single bennie of a long term visa over a a tourist visa.. No insertion of a new poster...especially from the moddies .. NKM is doing the trolling. You can get a DL on a tourist visa sans a residence cert from Immi? ???????????

CPC

No one including me has any idea of what you're going on about. Please provide a link to the Phuket Gazette article you are referring to.

CPC

No one including me has any idea of what you're going on about. Please provide a link to the Phuket Gazette article you are referring to.

Second that, plus write in English please. Also important could be: kind of visa, duration of visa, or is it an extension, type of visa/reason of extension, etc.

Edited by stevenl

No need to leave country every three months;

No worry about immigration changing the rules to disallow more than a certain number of consecutive entries;

The ability to renew the visa in Thailand;

Only one payment of 1900 baht (unless you require a re-entry permit);

I'm sure there are more reasons that a long-term visa is better if you qualify.

And for the record I don't think the OP is correct. I'll have more idea next week when I renew my licence.

I agree with your post, however:

No need to report every 90 days.

No need to have 800,000 baht in a bank that pays nothing, or show proof of financials, yellow books, Certificate of Residence etc etc etc.

No need to pay to re-enter Thailand.

I'm sure there are more reasons, and I haven't even posted on the costs, paperwork and restrictions involved on getting a Work Permit here.

Anyway, a little off topic, but the 5 year licence for long term visa holders was a big plus over short term visa holders who could only secure a 1 year driving/riding licence - if this info is true and correct.

CPC

He's lost me as well. Hence, why I said, could be a troll post.

I have not heard of any changes to DL issue. 1 year on tourist visa. 5 years (after 1 probation year) if on non-immigrant visa and annual extensions. Bank accounts, sure some banks demand a WP but plenty will sign you up with a rental contract and owner ID. Credit cards are always difficult for everyone, but not impossible given money deposited to cover credit limit. For DL some sort of proof of address is required by transport dept, usually a certificate of residency from immigration or a WP or name in yellow tabian baan.

It's far too early to say if there will be any changes to the above given events this morning in Bangkok.

Hello.. Phuket Gazzie May17-23 page 17, lower right corner. Try for a credit card without a huge deposit. etc. We have heard from op's about a few weeks ago and to do soon. The article is clear, lets see what happen at the LTO. BTW, enough slandering from the muckkie mucks..

Hello.. Phuket Gazzie May17-23 page 17, lower right corner. Try for a credit card without a huge deposit. etc. We have heard from op's about a few weeks ago and to do soon. The article is clear, lets see what happen at the LTO. BTW, enough slandering from the muckkie mucks..

If i issued credit catds i would want a big deposit in a bank account from a farang as well

Shooting thru without settling their credit card accounts happens all the time here with farangs

The only thing I have read about driving licenses is this farcical article.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/726788-thailand-driving-license-tough-new-tests-from-1st-june-2014/?utm_source=newsletter-20140517-0811&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=news

Tougher test? They need to find out how many thousands are driving without a lisence first.

50% of people who drive and ride dont have a license,the other 50% cannot drive or ride either, they have,no idea of the driving rules

like correct use of indicators etc, but most know how to speed and drive carelessly/ recklessly or dangeriously

50% of people who drive and ride dont have a license,the other 50% cannot drive or ride either, they have,no idea of the driving rules

like correct use of indicators etc, but most know how to speed and drive carelessly/ recklessly or dangeriously

You're saying that not a single person can drive legally and responsibly in Phuket (including yourself).

What a stupid statement.

Edited by KarenBravo
  • Like 1

You're saying that not a single person can drive legally and responsibly in Phuket (including yourself).

What a stupid statement.

Of course not, he was only speaking about Thai.

What a stupid statement.

Of course not, he was only speaking about Thai.

Righto. If that's what he meant, then it's not quite so stupid.

Extensions will get you 5 year DL.

The is in direct difference to the article I quoted in the HKT Gazzie.. Clearly mentioned WP's only as an Extension of Stay is relatfged to the OA.. Again, No WP no ha pee DL!

If i issued credit catds i would want a big deposit in a bank account from a farang as well

Shooting thru without settling their credit card accounts happens all the time here with farangs\

Very True but tis the WP'ERS who don't have top meet the 65K or 800K seasoned bank that live poorly. Remember, there is debtors prison in LOS!

I have not heard of any changes to DL issue. 1 year on tourist visa. 5 years (after 1 probation year) if on non-immigrant visa and annual extensions. Bank accounts, sure some banks demand a WP but plenty will sign you up with a rental contract and owner ID. Credit cards are always difficult for everyone, but not impossible given money deposited to cover credit limit. For DL some sort of proof of address is required by transport dept, usually a certificate of residency from immigration or a WP or name in yellow tabian baan.

It's far too early to say if there will be any changes to the above given events this morning in Bangkok.

Apparently you have NOT read article I quoted in the HKTGazzie?

As to the deposit for a CC from a retired. SCB asks 200k down for 100k credit. !00 suriets and the other covers you debit balance. I enquired for shites and grins but My CC's from Merrill Lynch and my United Mileage Plus card from Chase have no overseas charges so I use those., For my use atg the ATM from my ML card the refund back the 180 baht fee. Now, before this info gets the poomie torch please be advised that ML benefits are directly related to your portfolio activity level ( how much money you have)

What a stupid statement.

I meant people who got their licenses in phuket, really is a joke the driving/riding test

You do not have to know how to drive/ride in traffic to pass the test as you know thumbsup.gif

Edited by nedkellylives