Samsung Galaxy Note 8 - some questions

Dario

Hi all,

I have ordered for my 5year old little daughter (and for me when we're underway) from Lazada Thailand a refurbished Samsung Galaxy Note 8. The price is significantly lower - 7'540 Baht instead of 13'900 Baht for a brand new one.

When I looked at it at PowerBuy I saw it had phone capability, am I right? I downloaded a user manual and can't see anything about using Note 8 as a phone as well. Or did I miss something?

Further, I think the tablet will come with Android jelly bean 4.1 it has certain problems, version 4.2.2 I know is available, but version 4.3 would solve quite some things, like extend battery hours per day. Has anyone be able to update to 4.3?

Edited by Dario

The phone software is a standard function.

The last OTA update that came through was 4.2.2.

When I'm using it very heavily on 3G and / or WiFi I get about 4 hours. Standard use maybe 6.

Haven't had any problems with 4.2.2. It works fine.

To much education is a bad thing.

I think there are at least two (possibly more) models, the N5100 which is for HSPA/G3 and the N5110 which is Wifi, but no phone. Since nobody replied I did some googling and these are my findings. Not a problem as for making and receiving calls I have an iPhone.

The phone software is a standard function.

The last OTA update that came through was 4.2.2.

When I'm using it very heavily on 3G and / or WiFi I get about 4 hours. Standard use maybe 6.

Haven't had any problems with 4.2.2. It works fine.

To much education is a bad thing.

Thanks for your input. So, then there is a slot to insert a SIM card?

There are at least 3 different models of the Note 8:

GT-N5100 (3G & Wifi)
GT-N5110 (Wifi)
GT-N5120 (3G, 4G/LTE & Wifi)

The official one sold in Thailand for 13,900B (previously 15,200B) is the 5100 which has a SIM slot and works as a phone as well as a tablet. I use mine for this purpose. It is a good tablet/phone with plenty of memory and a fairly fast processor, which is why I bought it. I have never had any reason to use the stylus and note functions.

I tend to just turn the wifi on when needed. Battery life with wifi off and phone on is several days.

• 2 months later...

There are at least 3 different models of the Note 8:

GT-N5100 (3G & Wifi)

GT-N5110 (Wifi)

GT-N5120 (3G, 4G/LTE & Wifi)

The official one sold in Thailand for 13,900B (previously 15,200B) is the 5100 which has a SIM slot and works as a phone as well as a tablet. I use mine for this purpose. It is a good tablet/phone with plenty of memory and a fairly fast processor, which is why I bought it. I have never had any reason to use the stylus and note functions.

I tend to just turn the wifi on when needed. Battery life with wifi off and phone on is several days.

Thinking of getting this but think the prices you mentioned seem a bit high esp now with the new sammy tablets. I'm wondering what the cheapest prices are for walk in buyers? Was divided between new Nexus 7 and Note 8 but the extra screen size was the decider for me.