Drop poll if too dangerous: Thai Army

webfact

We had an election which international observers said was broadly fair, and as we all know it was voided by the court. Make no mistake that election would have brought the PTP back to power. It does not matter how many spoilt their votes; under the democratic system they had the opportunity to cast legitimate votes and did not - because they knew what the outcome would be. Now we see prevarication, evasion, delay - anything to stop the Thai people having the opportunity to express their will, because they outcome will not be the one the ruling elite desires. The violet ribbons worn by the solders says it all. The usual suspects can dress this up any way they want, but their support for totalitarianism is all too obvious.

Do all the soldiers wear the violet ribbons, or just some? And who are those that do?

Elections should be held, but only after taking steps to ensure good governance.

• Like 2

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How many members here who are demanding reforms before an election actually have a right to vote in the next elections.?

I'd be genuinely interested as I have a sneaky suspicion that there actually isn't that many, and that many others are just posting to wind people up, if you have the right to vote, and you wish for reforms that's commendable, and your choice to make ,but if you don't have a right to vote, then what gives you the right to demand reforms that are down to the Thai electorate to decide what reforms they want, or don't want?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Just as much rights as you have NONE.

I have seldom seen a more stupid remark made, we (i take it you have no rights either) have no power and can demand all we want for both sides red or yellow but it wont make an impact. We are just sharing our views here and have as much right as you have to demand no reforms.

You have as much right to have your views here as we have.. and you have as much power as we have.. NONE.

Exactly my point, what's the point in demanding reforms when you don't really have a right, as indeed it's just opinions of the posters, except that the point I'm making is that too many posters feel and believe that they have a right, when I fact they don't, and they get very articulate over it, and slag and sling mud, when it has sweet FA to do with them.

what's the point in getting all wound up over something that is out of your remit and out of your lane?

I'm all for healthy debate, but there's some people who take things way too serious, as if it means everything to them. So calling my remark stupid, just makes me feel a lot better knowing that the response was equally as stupid a remark, at the end of the day, we can all have out say, and feel all self righteous and important over the days debating, but it will not change a single thing, and tomorrow will bring more of the same, it's like a giant washing machine stuck on rinse mode!!!

Edited for auto spell damn I hate this auto spell thing on my iPad, does anyone know how to turn off??

Edited by Fat Haggis

How many members here who are demanding reforms before an election actually have a right to vote in the next elections.?

I'd be genuinely interested as I have a sneaky suspicion that there actually isn't that many, and that many others are just posting to wind people up, if you have the right to vote, and you wish for reforms that's commendable, and your choice to make ,but if you don't have a right to vote, then what gives you the right to demand reforms that are down to the Thai electorate to decide what reforms they want, or don't want?

I have seldom seen a more stupid remark made, we (i take it you have no rights either) have no power and can demand all we want for both sides red or yellow but it wont make an impact. We are just sharing our views here and have as much right as you have to demand no reforms.

You have as much right to have your views here as we have.. and you have as much power as we have.. NONE.

Exactly my point, what's the point in demanding reforms when you don't really have a right, as indeed it's just opinions of the posters, except that the point I'm making is that too many posters feel and believe that they have a right, when I fact they don't, and they get very articulate over it, and slag and sling mud, when it has sweet FA to do with them.

what's the point in getting all wound up over something that is out of your remit and out of your lane?

I'm all for healthy debate, but there's some people who take things way too serious, as if it means everything to them. So calling my remark stupid, just makes me feel a lot better knowing that the response was equally as stupid a remark, at the end of the day, we can all have out say, and feel all self righteous and important over the days debating, but it will not change a single thing, and tomorrow will bring more of the same, it's like a giant washing machine stuck on rinse mode!!!

Edited for auto spell damn I hate this auto spell thing on my iPad, does anyone know how to turn off??

" Edited for auto spell damn I hate this auto spell thing on my iPad, does anyone know how to turn off?? "

To turn off auto spell on an iPAD is simple .. throw it at a concrete wall with all force .. viola turned off

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

There's no intention to hold an election.

Do you actually think they went to the trouble of using the judiciary and army to stage a coup, and now they're just going to hand over the reins to the PTP when they score a resounding election victory in August??

cheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gif

• Like 2

And how many here who are demanding elections actually have a right to vote in the next elections?

I'd be genuinely interested as I have a sneaky suspicion that there actually isn't that many, and that many others are just posting to wind people up.

Do you really want to argue that transparency is bad for good governance? No, of course not. You know it's important just as I do. You also know requiring transparency will affect both sides. Thus it would be better to do your part to improve the situation.

• Like 1

Well call what I post what you may. All it is my opinion only unless I am stating known facts.

But I do believe there are posters here with no rights as you say to vote or change any thing but desperately for reasons related to corruption want the corruption to continue there by enriching them selves. There are many fine foreigners who have for one reason or another chosen to call Thailand home. But there are also some who have chosen to call it home because they can use the corrupt system to further enrich them selves.

• Like 1

And how many here who are demanding elections actually have a right to vote in the next elections?

I'd be genuinely interested as I have a sneaky suspicion that there actually isn't that many, and that many others are just posting to wind people up.

Do you really want to argue that transparency is bad for good governance? No, of course not. You know it's important just as I do. You also know requiring transparency will affect both sides. Thus it would be better to do your part to improve the situation.

It's important for the Thai people, not important for the Farang who have no say, it makes no odds to me if there's elections or reforms tomorrow the sun will still rise in the East and set in the West nothing will have changed, doesn't matter to me if the senate grants Suthep's wishes of a peoples council, doesn't matter to me if PTT get their elections, doesn't matter to me who wins or less because as an outsider they're both shit and need to take a good long hard look at how they have gone about their business past and present.

I hAve always stated that IF I had a vote I'd vote for Abhisit, as I still believe he's the key to all of this, the PTP party doesn't appeal to me, it would be like wiping your arse with sandpaper, as in it holds no appeal!!

I have also always said that the PDRC protests initially were noble and on the right cause, as in anti corruption but I also stated many times that Suthep leading anti corruption is like Wilie Nelson condemning pot!! I agreed with the initial protests right up to the point of where they started their radical actions in preventing and blocking the polls, and then the PDRC seemed to become more radical overall, and Suthep's calls started getting more and more outlandish.

I follow Michael Yons FB page not that I have any time for him, or Amsterdam, but some of the comments of his followers, beggared belief, and smacked of Thai social elitism, insulting the people of the North and using derogatory comments etc, and people wonder why the two sided can't even agree on the colour of <deleted>?

It's not political reforms that need changing, it's the bigoted attitudes that many Thais have for each other that needs to change first, and that ain't ever going to happen.

• Like 1

Even if you won an election with 50.1 % of the votes! which is classed as a majority by the way! still means that 49.9% think your still a tosser !!!!

That would apply to PT then as they only won , what was it, 46% of the vote.

That makes them losers then, now your starting to get the idea.

The Army should be supporting elections not trying to stop them from happening. You the Army gave their support and did something we would have elections. However, is that is real goal?

Their will be no elections before reform - plain and simple!!! Get used to it!! whistling.gif .

But a reform giving benefits to who?

The little news that trickle trough the censorship is clear. This is an establishment coup. Is it preventing bloodshed? In the short run sure. If the elite threads a set of reforms down the majority voters heads to prevent them from electing the wrong government - you can only guess where it is heading from there. This might have widened the divide in Thailand even further.

• Like 1

Even if you won an election with 50.1 % of the votes! which is classed as a majority by the way! still means that 49.9% think your still a tosser !!!!

46% in any multi party democracy is a landslide victory. And they have shown they are more then capable of cooperating with minority parties to form a majority government. No matter how you look at it Democrats and its satelite parties lost the last election. And still after half a year of non stop propaganda against PT, they are still not sure they can win a majority with an alliance government.

• Like 1

What was the percentage of the vote of their nearest rivals? ;) and didn't they get enough votes to have more seats within the house?

Losers whine,winners go home and smash the prom queen.

I know what your getting At though, what most people tend to forget as well is that there are over 50 different political parties who register to vote for, unlike the US of A where you only have 2, the Republicans and the Democrats, even in the UK the Conservatives needed the seats of the Liberals to win the house and have the majority of the required seats, if the people are sick of the PTP, they will vote differently if they're given the opportunity to do so, but what I have seen is that they have no loyalty apart from to themselves And the King, so again, I will ask, if Suthep is convinced he has the majority of the Thai public behind him, then he really has no fear of vote buying as they are with him, but you and I know that they are more loyal to the Baht than to any politician out there. Either he has the majority who claim to be sick of the PTP and will vote for him no matter what, or he doesn't have the majority as they are more influenced by the baht and not the ballot box ;)

We had an election which international observers said was broadly fair, and as we all know it was voided by the court. Make no mistake that election would have brought the PTP back to power. It does not matter how many spoilt their votes; under the democratic system they had the opportunity to cast legitimate votes and did not - because they knew what the outcome would be. Now we see prevarication, evasion, delay - anything to stop the Thai people having the opportunity to express their will, because they outcome will not be the one the ruling elite desires. The violet ribbons worn by the solders says it all. The usual suspects can dress this up any way they want, but their support for totalitarianism is all too obvious.

People spoil their ballots because they were forced to vote and they didn't want to.

Nobody was forced to vote, they chose to vote and in doing so exercised their democratic rights.

Spoiled ballots and no votes are a valid expression and send a message that a part of the electorate are unhappy with the choices offered to them.

What was particularly shameful were the attempts to disrupt the poll by a minority through intimidation,

We will never know how many people did not cast their votes because of this.

It's not political reforms that need changing, it's the bigoted attitudes that many Thais have for each other that needs to change first, and that ain't ever going to happen.

When I was born, my city had separate drinking fountains for blacks and whites. Not any more. It took education and time, and a strong stand from the government that this indeed must stop.

Leaders should lead; not rape the country.

Who does it hurt to require transparency? Who does it hurt to get rid of those who abuse the public's trust?

• Like 1

The Army should be supporting elections not trying to stop them from happening. You the Army gave their support and did something we would have elections. However, is that is real goal?

Their will be no elections before reform - plain and simple!!! Get used to it!! whistling.gif .

The little news that trickle trough the censorship is clear. This is an establishment coup. Is it preventing bloodshed? In the short run sure. If the elite threads a set of reforms down the majority voters heads to prevent them from electing the wrong government - you can only guess where it is heading from there. This might have widened the divide in Thailand even further.

First it was a judicial coup. Then it was a military coup. Now it's an establishment coup.

That's why I love mankind...

People spoil their ballots because they were forced to vote and they didn't want to.

Nobody was forced to vote, they chose to vote and in doing so exercised their democratic rights.

Spoiled ballots and no votes are a valid expression and send a message that a part of the electorate are unhappy with the choices offered to them.

What was particularly shameful were the attempts to disrupt the poll by a minority through intimidation,

People in Red villages are forced to vote.

And how many no votes and spoiled ballots were in the recently annulled election?

But don't worry, Thailand will have elections again. And with the proper reforms, there won't be wholesale raping of the country - no matter who wins.

it will be interesting to see where it goes i doubt the PDRC and co would attempt to disrupt an election under the gaze of the army. .

It may very well be beyond the PDRC at this point; Suthep has made people feel empowered.

Maybe or maybe not.

The only way to find out is by holding elections and giving the people the chance to express their democratic rights as laid out in the constitution.

Furthermore, the claim that the Army would be unable to provide the necessary security to hold a poll brings in to question the complete rationale for invoking this so called Martial Law.

The invoking of martial has nothing to do with holding elections so what are you on about???

The people, who else??

And how many no votes and spoiled ballots were in the recently annulled election?

But don't worry, Thailand will have elections again. And with the proper reforms, there won't be wholesale raping of the country - no matter who wins.

They were not forced to vote in the village where I live, and I was there on polling day, not one single person looked as if they were intimidated either, and my mother in law was one of the people who watched over the ballot boxes over the course of the day, I was there in the run up to the election as well, and nobody was there intimidating anyone either, so please, not all red villages are subjected to intimidation ;)

• Like 1

They were not forced to vote in the village where I live, and I was there on polling day, not one single person looked as if they were intimidated either, and my mother in law was one of the people who watched over the ballot boxes over the course of the day, I was there in the run up to the election as well, and nobody was there intimidating anyone either, so please, not all red villages are subjected to intimidation ;)

You live in a official "RED" village complete with red village sign?

If yes. How did it become a red village? Who came up with the idea?

Thanks in advance.

You live in a official "RED" village complete with red village sign?

If yes. How did it become a red village? Who came up with the idea?

Thanks in advance.

I have no idea if there's such a thing as an official red village complete with a sign stating that it is, is there such a thing?

The sign on entering my village is blue, Same with the surrounding villages, but to be honest, I don't ask, or take any interest as it's none of my concern, I asked my wife about vote buying and she said yes it happens, and that they were offered 300 baht to vote on the last election, again to be honest, none of them like Thaksin either, as they say he stole from Buddha, and the only red I see are many houses with red shirts at the gate, which I believe is something to do with sons?

Is my village an out and out red one? I honestly couldn't tell you 100 % for sure, however it's between Korat and Khon Buri, which historically have been red strongholds, I never seen the need to get all caught up in the red/yellow thing, and I tend to keep my political ideals to myself, and not get involved ;)

Just seen your picture, thanks, if that's an official red village then no, mine isn't like that at all, thanks for the reference picture

Edited by Fat Haggis
  • Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Their will be no elections before reform - plain and simple!!! Get used to it!! alt=whistling.gif> .

That is your opinion which is why we have problems now. Must be elections, reforms and a new election, nothing else could be acceptable.

• Like 1

the new election would be fine if the Army are ensuring security of polling IF the EC say "no" then it is not for the reason that there would be bloodshed but for another more biased reason

let the Army secure the elections and let people VOTE

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Like this.

Just look at all of those ignorant, gullible mugs!!!!

I see two just above me.

When I was born, my city had separate drinking fountains for blacks and whites. Not any more. It took education and time, and a strong stand from the government that this indeed must stop.

Leaders should lead; not rape the country.

Who does it hurt to require transparency? Who does it hurt to get rid of those who abuse the public's trust?

and there is the metaphor... right there... the yellows don't want the poor 'blacks' to drink from the same democratic fountain because they are too 'uneducated' and many of them have suggested as much

this is ALL about the rich, elite restricting votes and the normal, decent hard working Thais who want their vote

Like this.

Just look at all of those ignorant, gullible mugs!!!!

Unlike the sophisticated liberals with whom you mix?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app